Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Relationship

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Angel

A lot of people wonder what exactly a relationship with God really is. Even though I have one with Him, I would like to ask anyone willing to answer:

Can you please describe here your relationship with God? Thanks!

our walk with god is very much a marriage. jesus compares his return to the wedding traditions of the jews. we are his bride.

not really, we just got to listen. trust me he tells us what he doesn't like or wants. its not like we think it should be but we know it when we please him or not.

I think God tells us what is right and wrong in our conscience.

not really, we just got to listen. trust me he tells us what he doesn't like or wants. its not like we think it should be but we know it when we please him or not.

Really? How? I've always wondered how to hear God's voice and distinguish it from all the other voices in my head, especially from my imagination.

Really? How? I've always wondered how to hear God's voice and distinguish it from all the other voices in my head, especially from my imagination.

It isn't an auditory voice. It is a feeling, or inner voice.

well, first off, by reading the word and prayer. also you will KNOCW him if you are his. there is also the way he does present himself to you. with me its seldom a voice but how he orchestrates things and I hear and do something good or bad and only I know that god did that to show me something.

ie three times a mentioning of what marriage that is a teaching on the radio and then farouk says something that is the same thing that my wife has said to me. only God could have done that and that is something I asked god to change about me.

My relationship with God is very much like a marriage. He is my best friend, my comforter, and we even have jokes between us.

Example - We thought my oldest daughter would be a boy. Not one, but three ultrasounds said so. Since my wife and her mom talked from the beginning about a little girl, I was a complete jerk, always laughing at them and bragging about my seed bringing a boy and asking how it made them feel to be wrong. Then my son actually came out a daughter, and I very clearly felt God laugh and say, "See what happens when you get cocky?"

I talk to God constantly - sometimes I thank Him, I vent to Him, I ask for direction, you get the picture. And as Jason said, with time and study, I have learned how to listen, and oh boy does He answer.

My relationship is one of hills and valleys, but the valleys must fall on my responsibility because of my lack of faith at times. I know He is always right there ready to listen and to assure me that He is in control of all things. It's when I may dwell on the past or things in the present that I struggle with that I feel defeated, but GOD knows the final outcome and He holds the best for His children. We can only imagine what He has in store for us.

A lot of people wonder what exactly a relationship with God really is. Even though I have one with Him, I would like to ask anyone willing to answer:

Can you please describe here your relationship with God? Thanks!
It's about love. A few times in my life the Lord has shown me how much He loves. He washed over my heart with the purest, strongest form of love that I have ever felt. It was so strong that my body almost couldn't contain it. D.L. Moody said it was so strong he had to ask the Lord to "stay it back." My life has never been the same again. Ask the Lord to show you his love and then you will truly understand what it is like to have a relationship with Him.

The relationship that we have with our creator is written of as father-child/husband-wife/friend-friend/master-servant/creator-created thing. It is supernatural and can be like unto any of these human-physical relationships The idea that God wants and loves us enough to call us his children is one of the most amazing gifts we could ever hope for as a created thing. And as the relationship goes it requires us to also give love back to god that is what he has tried to get us to do since the beginning of this whole earth project. Now if God loves us but we don't love him back the relative element of love is gone and only the relative element of image exists there for the desired part of the relationship is broken and the relationship itself becomes hostile or bad. Being created in gods image is the first relative element of this relationship. God said let us make man in our image man and woman.

The idea of us having a relationship with God is one that requires us to also be active and contribute to the interaction taking place with in that relationship.He created us because he wanted something to be produced by us. Even from a human perspective we understand that a one sided relationship is one worthy of breaking in most cases. Like wise when God made his covenant with Israel in the O.T. the covenant was broken and changed several times not because god didn't do his part but because Israel failed to keep their end of the covenant.

Our eternal relationship with God is completely dependent on the New marriage Covenant we have entered into with his son and so our relationship is similar to when two people get married. They each have a role to play and the man and woman that are married are one flesh doing things together in the same spirit and after the same goals for benefit of their family. The husband wife relationship requires the husband to love his wife even enough to give his own life for her as it has been written. And so as always God is true to his engagement and he has fulfilled the greatest part of this covenant to us by giving his only begotten son and the son also by the sacrifice of his own life for us,.. It is our job to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of his offering as a good spouse should do. it requires us to be actively walking uprightly along our path.

The idea of walking uprightly means that you should constantly be considering what Gods will is for you and you should constantly be trying to align yourself with his will. So by Prayer, Faith and Works we interact with God in a way will either please him or displease him. It is our free will responsibility to maintain a conduct that God can be pleased with. So by walking uprightly we actively contribute to this relationship we have with the father and the son

Last edited:
How do you know that's not imagination/ wishful thinking/ your own thoughts?
History reports that Joan of Ark was once asked what's the difference between what she called "God's voice" and her own imagination. She replied that her imagination is what God uses to speak to her!

But I can relate to how you feel. Sometimes God just seems so silent. But then I've been privileged that other times he truly has spoken to me directly. Only a handful of times in my life, but those times were very different from just a thought or idea. I wish I could describe how I knew the difference, but I just don't have the words. There's just something different about it. Sure there are tests you can give it, like "Does what I think God is telling me violate His word in any way?", "Will this idea give glory to God?", etc. But that doesn't really describe how it is either. It's a "supernatural" experience that somehow comes directly from God, and as much as I wish I could describe it in words, I just don't know how.

To me, my relationship began when I realized every thought I have is known to him. He talks to me through his word, the bible, and just like Matthew G, I too talk to him constantly in my head. The good, the bad, the ugly, I don't resist him in any aspect of my life anymore. It isn't about my ego, my self esteem, or my personal god, it's about surrendering everything I am, which isn't much, to him. If the son has set you free, you are free indeed.

I was having a conversation with a Christian from South Africa once, the question was asked "Would you like you if you met you?"
I offered some feeble excuse of an answer, but his answer had a big impact on me. "I love myself at all times, come rain or sunshine. I have no choice."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back