Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Section 2 - Content

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I read a lot of this and do agree that changing the rules to include more discussion of Catholicism or Catholic beliefs a good idea. We surely know the difference in that and in someone trying to convert Protestants to Catholic beliefs. Haven't been here long enough to know what transpired about the subject in the past, however. Have seen much division regarding the subject in other forums a lot of it due to misinformation. Praying wisdom is used in any changes regarding anything else as well. :)

wondering ,
I am slammed pretty hard at work this week but next monday is my last day and I'm off till the 2nd and then I can devote more time to this important section.

Aside from nasty pictures and foul mouths, the only discussions I want to limit would be theologies and doctrines mainly derived from sources historically rejected by our Canon.

For example, shepherd of Hermes and foxxes book of marters are ok, but the gospel of Thomas or the book of Mormon would not be.

I'm thinking I could create a page with a comprehensive list of writings that would not be permissible to use to promote non orthodox positions.

I read a lot of this and do agree that changing the rules to include more discussion of Catholicism or Catholic beliefs a good idea. We surely know the difference in that and in someone trying to convert Protestants to Catholic beliefs. Haven't been here long enough to know what transpired about the subject in the past, however. Have seen much division regarding the subject in other forums a lot of it due to misinformation. Praying wisdom is used in any changes regarding anything else as well. :)
I agree that there is much misinformation about Catholicism.
That church has made many mistakes in the past, but didn't they all? OTOH, we wouldn't be here if they didn't "protect" our faith from all the heresies arising in the early days.

The hatred that is shown toward that church is disconcerting to me. Maybe if we spoke about it, some feelings could be softened?

wondering ,
I am slammed pretty hard at work this week but next monday is my last day and I'm off till the 2nd and then I can devote more time to this important section.

Aside from nasty pictures and foul mouths, the only discussions I want to limit would be theologies and doctrines mainly derived from sources historically rejected by our Canon.

For example, shepherd of Hermes and foxxes book of marters are ok, but the gospel of Thomas or the book of Mormon would not be.

I'm thinking I could create a page with a comprehensive list of writings that would not be permissible to use to promote non orthodox positions.
A list would be a good idea because it seems you believe this to be important. For instance, I'd have a problem knowing if a book is accepted or not (on this forum)...
I try to stick to the bible except for the writings of the ECF, but I see posts with other sources I'm not even familiar with...

Is it easer to list the prohibited writings
OR
the accepted writings?

What is easier??

I agree that there is much misinformation about Catholicism.
That church has made many mistakes in the past, but didn't they all? OTOH, we wouldn't be here if they didn't "protect" our faith from all the heresies arising in the early days.

The hatred that is shown toward that church is disconcerting to me. Maybe if we spoke about it, some feelings could be softened?
Do you think we should create a new forum for the topic with the statement it is for the purpose of uniting the body? In other words, no Catholic bashing and no proselytizing.

What is meant by hatred? who started that lie? Christians have only shown love for catholic people. How many people here know of Charles Spurgeon and what do you think of his teaching?

Do you think we should create a new forum for the topic with the statement it is for the purpose of uniting the body? In other words, no Catholic bashing and no proselytizing.
On some sites there are special forums for specific denominations. Protestant and Catholic, including Orthodox.
This would be a very good idea. It would also give those a place to congregate and have conversations with each other.
The rule would be that people could join in if they want to, but they would need to respect those of differing opinion, but also be able to state their own opinion.

What to name it?
The Catholic and Orthodox Forum
The Weslyan Forum
The Calvinist Forum

etc.

As those denominations post to each other...WE could also learn what their beliefs are and would be able to interact with them.

What is meant by hatred? who started that lie? Christians have only shown love for catholic people. How many people here know of Charles Spurgeon and what do you think of his teaching?
Yes, love for Catholic people
Hate for the Catholic Church.

Please don't tell me you haven't noticed this on EVERY Christian forum. It's palpable and I'd like to know why.

wondering ,

Should also clarify whether it would be permitted to discuss other beliefs verses promoting or pushing other beliefs. I'm not sure exactly how to make that distinction though.

Yes, love for Catholic people
Hate for the Catholic Church.

Please don't tell me you haven't noticed this on EVERY Christian forum. It's palpable and I'd like to know why.
i think the reason is a dislike/hatred for some of the doctrines - and some of the practices - and some of the history

i think the reason is a dislike/hatred for some of the doctrines - and some of the practices - and some of the history

ex-catholics are often the most outspoken - they get really hard core about warning others about the rcc - they feel it is their duty to warn us -

when i try to ask ex-catholics about the rcc i get an earful of what is wrong - one of the most serious charges they make is that rcc doctrine robs people of salvation

i guess i can understand their point - i grew up in a church that did not know anything about salvation - all of us including the several pastors we had come to our tiny church really hoped we would make it to heaven - but none of us knew if we would or not - when i heard the gospel at a different church and profoundly connected with God as a result i had a moment of shock realizing how i had attended church my entire life and never knew the truth about salvation -
To share and express concern is one thing but to bash those that are still members or try to beat them into submission is another. Most of my relatives are members of the Catholic church but I certainly am not in a position to judge myself better than they.

To share and express concern is one thing but to bash those that are still members or try to beat them into submission is another. Most of my relatives are members of the Catholic church but I certainly am not in a position to judge myself better than they.
agreed - the ex-catholics i know don't bash the people - just the denomination

imo people who bash people need to stop - there is never a reason to attack a person

ex-catholics are often the most outspoken - they get really hard core about warning others about the rcc - they feel it is their duty to warn us -

when i try to ask ex-catholics about the rcc i get an earful of what is wrong - one of the most serious charges they make is that rcc doctrine robs people of salvation

i guess i can understand their point - i grew up in a church that did not know anything about salvation - all of us including the several pastors we had come to our tiny church really hoped we would make it to heaven - but none of us knew if we would or not - when i heard the gospel at a different church and profoundly connected with God as a result i had a moment of shock realizing how i had attended church my entire life and never knew the truth about salvation -
I would only add that the RCC does not make up the whole of the Catholic Church. Point in case, I have an Orthodox Catholic friend that despises the RCC worse than some Protestants I know. What I'm trying to say is this, the RCC no more represents the Catholic faith than the southern Baptists represents the Protestant faith. So we shouldn't categorize Catholics primarily with Rome.

I would only add that the RCC does not make up the whole of the Catholic Church. Point in case, I have an Orthodox Catholic friend that despises the RCC worse than some Protestants I know. What I'm trying to say is this, the RCC no more represents the Catholic faith than the southern Baptists represents the Protestant faith. So we shouldn't categorize Catholics primarily with Rome.
makes sense - and as an outsider i don't understand what either group believes - i kinda get stuck at disagreeing with some of the practices and haven't moved beyond that too much to inquiring about doctrines

i guess for me practices mean more than doctrines - practices are how we live - imo doctrines are most often used to debate each other - it probably was not designed to do that but that seems to be what most people do with doctrines - fight over them and label each other with unkind thoughts and names

i also don't see christians fighting so much over practices - we pretty much all agree that sin is wrong and being kind caring giving is good

Last edited:
makes sense - and as an outsider i don't understand what either group believes - i kinda get stuck at disagreeing with some of the practices and haven't moved beyond that too much to inquiring about doctrines

i guess for me practices mean more than doctrines - practices are how we live - imo doctrines are most often used to debate each other - it probably was not designed to do that but that seems to be what most people do with doctrines - fight over them and label each other with unkind thoughts and names
I agree. I'm tired of the fighting. It gives no glory to God and only causes deeper division
We need to fall back on having some basic respect for one another and if we disagree, it's ok. But we won't use those disagreements to use as a platform to peddle a pet doctrine. In other words, we stand on our own merits. We do not bolster our view by stepping on another's.
I am glad to say I have not seen much of that lately and conversations are becoming constructive. So I know we are moving in the right direction.

I agree. I'm tired of the fighting. It gives no glory to God and only causes deeper division
We need to fall back on having some basic respect for one another and if we disagree, it's ok. But we won't use those disagreements to use as a platform to peddle a pet doctrine. In other words, we stand on our own merits. We do not bolster our view by stepping on another's.
I am glad to say I have not seen much of that lately and conversations are becoming constructive. So I know we are moving in the right direction.
amen - i see that too - thanks for leading this forum in that direction - it is definitely unique among forums for this reason

fighting is tiring and unproductive

looking for things to disagree about rather than things to agree on is such a waste of time and potential - as you said it gives no glory to God - and even worse it makes people decide they don't want God because of the way christians behave toward each other and toward non-christians

Last edited:
On some sites there are special forums for specific denominations. Protestant and Catholic, including Orthodox.
This would be a very good idea. It would also give those a place to congregate and have conversations with each other.
The rule would be that people could join in if they want to, but they would need to respect those of differing opinion, but also be able to state their own opinion.

What to name it?
The Catholic and Orthodox Forum
The Weslyan Forum
The Calvinist Forum

etc.

As those denominations post to each other...WE could also learn what their beliefs are and would be able to interact with them.
I've seen this work on other forums. The only problem is if they are going to have to stick to our statement of faith, some of them will not be allowed to talk of their own belief, unless there are different statements for each of those forums. Also they would need their own moderators who knew their belief.

I've seen this work on other forums. The only problem is if they are going to have to stick to our statement of faith, some of them will not be allowed to talk of their own belief, unless there are different statements for each of those forums. Also they would need their own moderators who knew their belief.
No Tessa, I don't think it would be that difficult.

I don't know of any Christian church that doesn't believe in the BASIC tenets of Christianity. We'll see when we get to work on the Statement of Faith but I truly doubt it'll have anything that all other Christian churches believe.

Second of all, a different statement of faith is not necessary, nor is it needed. Catholics can talk amongst themselves and others could join in. It would be very easy to notice sarcasm or a mean spirit...it doesn't have to be necessary to know Catholic doctrine, for instance, to know that someone is breaking the TOS.

Think about this and then please reply.

Back