Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Site Definition of Christian?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
N

Novice

Hello everyone. I've been on other sites that have articulated a definition of "Christian". These typically revolve around one of the ancient statements of the Creeds, and are not strictly "denominational", though some denominations (Mormons, for example) might be implicitly excluded.

Does this site have such a definition? I myself was sprinkled a Presbyterian as a baby, dunked a Baptist as an adolescent, danced at an Assembly of God, and now quietly and prayerfully worship at an Episcopal church. I identify myself to friend and foe as a Christian, and while I'm not too concerned about other people's denominational affiliation, I'm always excited to speak with people who seek God every day in prayer and in Scripture, and who believe Jesus was who He said He was and is now resurrected with God.

What requirements are there here to be considered a disciple of Christ? I'm not trying to be vague: example - I personally believe God used natural processes to develop Man, that the Genesis account is accurate in God's chronology of creation and His intent: each "day" is not a rotation of the Earth around its axis relative to the sun (since there was no sun for the first few "days" of the creative process) but a "day" in the colloquial sense of focused continuous effort in accomplishment of a goal before taking a break. When we say "I had a long day", we don't mean that this particular day had 26 hours, we mean our experience of a continuous work process was intense and gruelling.

I'm not trying to start an Evolution discussion, merely pointing out a small issue where some might claim I'm not a "Christian", whatever my personal commitments to the Risen Lord, because of my belief in intelligent design, or directed evolution, or whatever else you care to call the above view...

Welcome to the forums. I Can't speak for the rest of the staff, but I'm a Christian who currently choses to fellowship with a baptist congregation. 8-)

Welcome Novice,

I do not know how the site officially defines a Christian, but I do not believe that your take on creation/evolution would exclude you here. I believe there are many variations here on that particular subject.

Blessings.

Edited because I am a poor speller. :-?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back