Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Target's "1 Spot"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Nikki

Have you been to Target lately? I'm addicted to the store. I head straight for their end caps for the clearance items.

They now have a dollar section. It's called ' The 1 Spot'. They've got some NICE stuff! Picture frames, kitchen utensils, note pads, school supplies, a TON of Hello Kitty stuff (hairbows, packs of pencils and stickers, etc).

Great ideas for stocking stuffers, treasure box toys, etc.

I like Target (pronounced Tar-jay)

Some people on another board are like banning them and encouraging everyone else to as well because they won't let Salvation Army stand in front of their stores anymore....But, their reasoning behind doing it makes sense to me, so I'm not bothered by it.

Here's what Target said about it:

Target Corporation has decided that the Salvation Army will no longer be
able to solicit guests for contributions at our stores. Like many
nationwide retailers, we have a long-standing 'no solicitation' policy
that
must consistently be applied across all of our stores. We did not reach
this decision easily, and carefully evaluated all options before coming to
this conclusion.

We receive an increasing number of solicitation inquiries from non-profit
organizations each year and determined that if we continue to allow the
Salvation Army to solicit then it opens the door to other groups that wish
to solicit our guests.

Makes sense to me!

and now the rest of the story...

Target Corp. has banned Salvation Army bell ringers across the country, which will cost the local organization about $30,000 this holiday season.

That's more than 17 percent of the $175,000 deposited in the familiar red kettles last year....

...Target's decision is the last thing the Salvation Army needs in a soft economy that's already squeezing charities, said Maj. Robert Scott, who oversees operations of the Capital Area Salvation Army, which includes Ingham, Eaton and Clinton counties.

"We're going to have to see if we can make it up somehow," Scott said. "Hopefully our donors will recognize that."

"We're disappointed," added Chuck Calati, the Salvation Army's local director of community programs.

Calati said he was grateful, however, for what Target had done for the Salvation Army in the past....

...Domino effect?

Beyond the $30,000 loss, Scott fears that Target's action might cause other corporations to reconsider their hospitality toward bell ringers. In past years, both Meijer and Toys R Us have withdrawn participation in the kettle drive, which accounts for 12 percent of the local Salvation Army's budget.

"It has a negative influence," Scott said.

Locally, the Salvation Army helps needy families with food, clothing, rent, prescriptions and utility bills. It also helps the homeless find permanent housing and provides meals through a community kitchen.

For the moment, bell ringers are still welcome at local Wal-Mart stores, Meridian, Lansing and Frandor malls, and at various smaller stores in the Lansing area.

Kate McKinley of Grand Ledge said she'll patronize those shops - and avoid Target.

"I think what Target is doing to the Salvation Army is just wrong," McKinley said. "Why should Target exclude people who are willing to stand out in freezing weather for the good of others?"
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 001/NEWS01

My prayer is that the word gets out and the faithful Salvation Army doners find it in their heart to geve even more generously in the following years.

The Salvation Army
Jack Repass.............................941/748-5110
1204 14th St. W.
Bradenton, FL 34205
Fax: 941/749-0925
Email: Click here to email this member
Category:Non-Profit Organizations

A religious and charitable organization, the Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian church. Its social services include homeless housing, feeding program, emergency financial assistance for residents, disaster services and day care. Offers a full array of religious services including Hispanic minstery.
http://www.manateechamber.com/CLASS/1405_CDIR.asp

Thanks Josie, for bring this to my attention. :angel:

sidenote... A elder veteren friend of mine told me a story about his experience with then in WWII. He went over to the local Red Cross tent and asked for a cup of coffee. They wanted to charge him a nickel for it. (a fair amount at the time). He said, "Why should I pay for it when I can walk 100 years across the feild and get it free from the Salvation Army?" :-? Needless to say who got his respect and who lost it.

If you have had problems with the 1 spot, then you will need the 1 spot remover.

here is Just the product for you.

wngstk.jpg

:o :o :o :o :o

did some one say the 1 spot, well you can remove it with this brand new product called spot x, yes spot - x the x that takes away the 1 spot.

I personally don't like it when they have the bell ringers in front of stores. I'm all about helping others, but there are so many more ways to go about it. Also, instead of asking for monetary donations at Christmas time, they should do more things like have boxes set up in stores and have people put donations of clothing, canned foods, toiletries, etc. I personally would rather givenew products than money because I've heard too many times how the money isn't all going towards what it should. It's a shame that you can't trust all these places.
:sad

I've heard too many times how the money isn't all going towards what it should.
Sorry you feel that way. I don't remember this EVER being the case with the SA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I like the bell ringing. It brings me back to my childhood. :biggrin It has a very charitable 'ring' to it. :lol:

Oh, they take 'material' donations as well. :angel: They are a 24/7/365 organization. Christmas stands out because it is traditionally a 'season' of giving.

season of giving so that we can get into unessasary debt.

I take all my stuff to Salvation Army. We have a huge drop off site nearby.

Here is an old article about the SA and where it's money is going....or not going....

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0301/16/d01-61534.htm

but it's not really the actual organization. It's the individuals. Do a search and you get overwhelmed with news stories about bell ringers and other employess stealing money that should go towards the actual charity.

I feel bad saying this stuff. I am all about helping others, but you just can't trust everyone with money, so there are better ways to go about getting the items needed.

I'll probably be supporting the SA this week because I'm going to their Thrift Store to try and find a pair over overalls for Kailey. :)

personally I would not support a suporter of the new global religion know as Ecumenical groups such as the salvation army.

Nikki, thanks for the info. I guess descrection IS advised. I will continue to support them, but most likely in the same manner as you.

here is the evedence from the WCC official web site,

http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/links/church.html#cwc

Christian World Communions
International organizations of churches of the same tradition or confession have been formed since the middle of the 19th century. Since 1957 there have been annual informal gatherings of the secretaries of such organizations; and it is from among the bodies represented at these meetings that this list is taken, although not all them would define themselves as "Christian World Communions". The links below are either to official web sites or to e-mail dialogue boxes. Not all the organizations listed have web sites or e-mail addresses.

* Anglican Communion
* Baptist World Alliance
* Church of the Brethren*
* Disciples Ecumenical Consultative Council
* Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
* Friends World Committee for Consultation
* General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
* Lutheran World Federation
* Mennonite Central Committee
* Mennonite World Conference
* Moscow Patriarchate [Russian Orthodox Church]
* Pentecostal World Conference
* Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity
* Reformed Ecumenical Council
* Salvation Army
* World Alliance of Reformed Churches World Convention of Churches of Christ
* World Evangelical Fellowship
* World Methodist Council

http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/what/interre ... dex-e.html

The progress of these dialogues as well as articles highlighting local efforts are published in the bi-annual Current Dialogue. The WCC has also published a study guide, My Neighbour's Faith and Mine, which has been translated into numerous languages and is used by churches around the world.

Among the team's present foci are:

* multi-religious reflection on secularization, the role of religion in public life and the challenges of religious plurality;
* Christian-Jewish-Muslim dialogue on the issue of Jerusalem;
* Hindu-Christian dialogue on issues such as proselytization, religious extremism and caste;
* Christian-Muslim forum on human rights.

historical note
Interest in a Christian approach to people of other faiths can already be seen in the New Testament.In the book of Acts, Peter, responding to the realities of a multi-faith context, says to the gentile Cornelius, "I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him" (Acts 10.34-35).

This basic understanding of God's direct access to all people echoes what is asserted in the Hebrew scriptures by the prophet Malachi when he says, "For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering for my name is great among the nations says the Lord of hosts (Malachi 1.11).

It is in this light that people within the modern ecumenical movement have been trying to grasp the meaning of their obedience to the gospel in a world of many religions and cultures. Historically, these concerns have been pursued from the perspective of mission and evangelism, beginning withthe World Missionary Conference held at Edinburgh (1910), then through the International Missionary Council, and later within the WCC through the Commission on World Mission and Evangelism.

In 1971 a sub-unit within the WCC was formed to promote dialogue between people of living faiths. A major landmark in this area came in 1977 at a meeting in Chiang Mai, Thailand where agroup of Christians representing many different ecclesiastical traditions drew up Guidelines on Dialogue. These guidelines serve as the basis of interreligious dialogue sponsored by the WCC and many churches around the world.

Taking stock of some thirty years of experience of interreligious dialogue within the WCC, a document entitled Ecumenical Considerations for Dialogue and Relations with People of other Religions was produced. This document was received by the WCC Central Committee in 2002.

present context

During the last few decades, questions about religious and cultural pluralism have attracted renewed interest in the churches. Everywhere there is a fresh sense of urgency to build creative relationshipsbetween peoples of differing faiths. As interest in dialogue has grown, so has its actual practice, enabling various religious communities to understand one another better and to work more closely together. Here are but a few examples:

* In the Middle East, Clergy for Peace brings together rabbis, priests, pastors and imams in Israel and in the West Bank for common action and witness to peace and justice in the region;
* In Southern India, the Council of Grace brings together Hindus, Christians, Muslims, Sikhsand Jains in an attempt to address situations of community conflict;
* In the Pacific, Interfaith Search brings together representatives of many religions in Fijiseeking to overcome prejudices and to promote mutual respect and appreciation for one another.

People engaged in dialogue have felt their own faith challenged and deepened by the new dimensions of religious life which they have observed, and many find in interreligious encounter a new impetus for doing theology and reviving spirituality. Communities in dialogue function as the leaven in the larger community, facilitating the creation of a society transcending religious barriers.

We stand at the historic moment when the Christian theological tradition must take full account of the experiences of those who have been living for centuries in religiously plural societies, as well asof the convictions of those who are newly stimulated by the broadening religious plurality of their surroundings. Our experience in dialogue suggests strongly that many "classical" Christian theological presuppositions and convictions need to be informed and challenged afresh by the realities of our times.

kinds of dialogue
Very often people associate dialogue only with formal conversations between two groups. In actual fact, many different kinds of dialogue take place and it is important to recognize the value of this .The most common is the dialogue of life that goes on in all situations of plurality.Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, people of many different faiths in fact, live and work together sharing a common life. Even though these dialogues go unnoted and are not consciously religious, we should recognize their importance in the building up of human relationships. A similar dialogue also takes place where people of different traditions come together to struggle for justice,peace, human rights and other issues that concern society as a whole.

Organized dialogue is of three types. The most common, multi-lateral and bi-lateral dialogues, are where representative groups of people come together to discuss a subject relevant to the communities concerned. The relationship of religion to the family, to education, to the state, etc. has been one subject of discussion encouraged by the WCC between Christians and Muslims in recent years (bi-lateral dialogue). On the other hand, a multi-lateral dialogue in India dealt with the theme of "Religious Identity in a Multi-Faith Society"; its main aim was to deal with the problem of increased violence between religious factions in India. In addition to clarifying points of differences, such dialogues hope to facilitate the building up of trust and openness between religious groups.

A second type of organized dialogue could be called academic dialogue where exponents of different religious faiths meet and discuss the theological/philosophical bases of their traditions. Here genuine attempts are made to arrive at a common appreciation of the way in which each religious tradition has sought to explain and approach reality. These dialogues help in breaking down prejudices and misconceptions accumulated over centuries. They enrich, enlarge, challenge and correct the way some religions have understood and approached religious life in other traditions.

Yet another form of dialogue may be described as spiritual dialogue. Here believers attempt to meet each other, as it were, in the "cave of the heart". They expose themselves to each other's spiritual and worship life. Often such dialogues take the form of participating in the prayer or mediation practices of others. This type of dialogue remains controversial because Christians are not agreed on whether it is possible to participate in the spiritual life of their neighbours without compromising their own faith.

Homeskillet said:
I like Target (pronounced Tar-jay)

Some people on another board are like banning them and encouraging everyone else to as well because they won't let Salvation Army stand in front of their stores anymore....But, their reasoning behind doing it makes sense to me, so I'm not bothered by it.

I used to work for Target, about 5 years ago. They've never endorsed anybody who stands out in front of their stores, soliciting for whatever cause. And I agree with them. What if you were a business owner, wouldn't it totally bother you that there's some person just outside your doors, bothering your customers for money?

willow the wip said:
These are compromisers with false gods.

Hmmm, interesting. I want to ask questions Willow, but it may not be appropriate to start this new topic in this one. Do you know of another thread where these groups are discussed in more detail? or do you want to start one?

Back