Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

TEMPTATION

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ezrider

Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

When you read or recite the Lord's prayer, what is the temptation that comes to your thoughts?

I suspect many people recite the Lord's prayer over and over again and really don't understand it.

Let me rephrase my question: What was the temptation that Jesus was referring to when he spoke "lead us not into temptation"?

I think there are different answers to this question. He may have been talking about the temptation to sin or to fall back into a heathen life. I don't know for sure. What do you think?

My temptations change over time. As soon as God sends me the strength to avoid one temptation, another one pops up. My first temptation was to steal. Then it was gluttony followed by alcohol. I am also tempted to be selfish. Right now I am resisting the temptation to be angry at the world and at God as I am suffering from chronic headaches.

In 1982, I had no clue how to ask God to help me resist temptation until I discovered 12-Step programs. In Alcoholics Anonymous we say the Lord's Prayer at the end of each meetings. We are also taken through a process of working the 12 steps which include:

Admitting we have lost control.
Finding God
Surrendering to God
Listing our sins
Confession
Becoming willing to change
Pray for God's help
List those you have hurt because of your sins
Made amends
Stay vigilent
Pray and Meditate
Help others

The exact words of the Lord's prayer are enigmatic. Why would God lead us into temptation? Is that a loving thing to do. For me it because we grow closer to God when we are tested and then victorious. I guess that is what the story of Job is about.

I can't wait for others to express their ideas. This is a good question to ask.

Last edited:
Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

When you read or recite the Lord's prayer, what is the temptation that comes to your thoughts?
The Lord's Prayer has been changed by order of the Pope for the CC.

And I agree.

The new wording is:
AND DO NOT LET US FALL INTO TEMPTATION:

The Greek was poorly translated in the original version...which made is sound like
God was leading persons into temptation.

So which temptation should God not let us fall into?
The one that is most troubling at any given time.

For me, right now, it's complaining to my husband - who is in
a weak state of health - and this disturbs him. But I'm used to doing this.
When I have a problem -- I've always complained to him.
I fall into this sin many times.
Many times.

Food, alcohol, anger, fear, isolation, suicide, just to name a few. But I persevere with the help of Spirit.

It is never when one is at prayer that temptation comes, but always when one is tired or distracted because that is when one is more likely to give in.

It's a line about wanting to stay humble and believers.

God has an infinite amount of resources. He, like most parents, loves to give good things to his children when they ask... especially when they aren't acting out of greed.

So the petitioner asks God not to give him so much that they lose their humility and begin to have pride.

Jesus, God's Son, was the agent of all creation...His wealth could make Solomon look like a pauper. (Poor)

God can grant a million people enough money to make them ridiculously wealthy and not feel a bit of a pinch.

This is, of course, a group prayer. The first word, "Our" is the big clue meaning that this shouldn't be done in isolation but with trusted close friends who are all Believers. The tie that binds them is their relationship with God.

So it is yet another way to ask God for the unity of this prayer group. For the fellowship and comradre you enjoy together.

"When speaking to the King let your words be few" is straight out of Proverbs...

Simple line, meaning a lot of things.

The main one would be to curse God.

Kinda what the devil was doing to Job.

Job 2:9-10 His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!" He replied,"Your are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

I suspect many people recite the Lord's prayer over and over again and really don't understand it.

Let me rephrase my question: What was the temptation that Jesus was referring to when he spoke "lead us not into temptation"?

Since according to James 1, temptation BEGINS with YOUR LUST. so the answer to the question lies in whatever you lust for. The devil knows what they all are, and also knows how to "ENTICE" us effectively to let our LUST conceive, and become SIN.

Seven Deadly Sins: Pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth.

Note to some people out there. This list does not include being gender fluid. Oops. Did I say that.

Actually, I would like to add to this list from my own cache of former deadly sins: addiction, stubbornness, love of money, resentments (holding on to anger), lust for anything just not sex, cruelty, abuse, violence, war, bullying, stealing, judgment, abandonment, neglecting your children, profanity, etc. etc. Can someone pick up where I left off.

Well He was teaching them how to pray. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one...
Meaning any temptation. And God does not tempt man but He may allow you to be sifted by the enemy to try your faith, or to let it be as a chastening to get you to turn back to Him.

The entire prayer is laid out as we should approach the Lord in prayer. First with praise to God (our Father who art in heaven Hallowed be thy name), Then worship (Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven), Supplications (Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Give us this day our daily bread.), Mercy (And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial but rescue us from the evil one.), Acknowledging his Lordship ( For the kingdom and the power and the glory are yours forever. Amen.)

The actual wording may vary but should pretty much stick to the order of the guideline. I like it. It works.

Whatever bait the devil can get you with. Satan, like a fisherman, baits his hook according to the appetite of the fish, day 2 the Daily Walk Bible.

I Corinthians 10:12-14, I really think the Apostle Paul reveals that pride and idolatry are 2 temptations that all Christians should beware of allowing in our life’s.

The temptation people face are extremely personal and individual. My temptations will not be the same as yours. It (The bible) says Jesus was tempted in every way men are.

Seven Deadly Sins: Pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth.

Note to some people out there. This list does not include being gender fluid. Oops. Did I say that.

Actually, I would like to add to this list from my own cache of former deadly sins: addiction, stubbornness, love of money, resentments (holding on to anger), lust for anything just not sex, cruelty, abuse, violence, war, bullying, stealing, judgment, abandonment, neglecting your children, profanity, etc. etc. Can someone pick up where I left off.
ALL SINS are deadly. "Mortal" and "Venial" are nothing but meaningless Roman Catholic inventions.

ALL SINS are deadly. "Mortal" and "Venial" are nothing but meaningless Roman Catholic inventions.
I ain't Catholic, but I have noticed they're not always wrong about things:

16If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death. - 1 John 5:16-17

Greetings,

Those in my family group were raised to use prayer formulas. `For your penance say three 'Hail Mary's, three 'Our Fathers' and one 'Confiteor Deo'."

The process of memorizing our prayers encouraged thinking on spiritual things. Basically, we grew while familiarizing ourselves with this particular passage from The Word.

One image that often accompanied (associated) was of a shepherd leading a small flock of sheep.

Sheep have directional disability; they can get lost easily.

This part of Scripture (no longer considered 'prayer') showed the implicit trust fostered in the sheep.

"I know you and have followed you since my very first steps, but we all remember what happened to Henry, the Lost', right?"

Reduced to its' essence, at least in part, it acknowledges our dependancy and asks for assurance. A Trust booster, if you will.

Don't take us to a place that might distract from loving you.

The knowledge of good and evil? Disobedience? Please to seduced by Eve? I I can't wait to hear the right answer. Doesn't the Bible say the only unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit?

It is not just the knowledge of good and evil. The Bible gives us the knowledge of good and evil. It is what we do with that knowledge that lends to the temptation.

It was given to Adam to name the beast of the field, and all the fowls of heavens. Adam walked and spoke with God in the cool of the day.

But when Adam took to himself the knowledge of good and evil, it became that he might judge as God.

Genesis 3:5
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Genesis 3:22
And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Our Father, who are in heaven, THY Kingdom come, THY will be done.

The Lords prayer establishes that providence and dominion belongs solely with the Father.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back