Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Aleppo Codex

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
PS: Aleppo vies with Damascus in claiming to be the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world, I think.

Hi Deborah13: So what's it about?

Blessings.

It's nonfiction about a very old copy of the Old Testament. It had been protected in a synagogue in Syria. How it came to be, how it was almost destroyed during riots in Syria in 1948. How it got it Israel. There's history about the Jews and how they lived in Islam lands before and after 1948.
I'm not very far into it yet. So far it's interesting.

Hi Deborah13: So what's it about?

Blessings.

farouk, I think you might really enjoy this book.

"two months later with the termination of the British Mandate for Palestine, the declaration of Israel's independence, and the invasion of five Arab armies, the frontier with Syria was sealed for good, with the Crown [codex] out of reach on the other side.
Jerusalem had housed the codex once, long before, only to have it seized by foreign marauders. It would have to wait awhile longer for the Crown's return.

Jerusalem, AD 1099
The Christian knights and foot soldiers serving under Duke Godfrey de Bouillon were encamped opposite one corner of the city wall, by the Jewish Quarter..." [ codex] my addition

I downloaded the e-book from our state's library onto my Nook. It's not one I probably would have bought but I am pleasantly surprised.

farouk, I think you might really enjoy this book.

"two months later with the termination of the British Mandate for Palestine, the declaration of Israel's independence, and the invasion of five Arab armies, the frontier with Syria was sealed for good, with the Crown [codex] out of reach on the other side.
Jerusalem had housed the codex once, long before, only to have it seized by foreign marauders. It would have to wait awhile longer for the Crown's return.

Jerusalem, AD 1099
The Christian knights and foot soldiers serving under Duke Godfrey de Bouillon were encamped opposite one corner of the city wall, by the Jewish Quarter..." [ codex] my addition

I downloaded the e-book from our state's library onto my Nook. It's not one I probably would have bought but I am pleasantly surprised.

It's interesting that, in the Middle Ages, Godefoid de Bouillon appointed himself King of Jerusalem.

Also interesting that today Godefroid de Bouillon's equestrian statue stands outside the Royal Quarter in Brussels, Belgium.

Blessings.

It's interesting that, in the Middle Ages, Godefoid de Bouillon appointed himself King of Jerusalem.

Also interesting that today Godefroid de Bouillon's equestrian statue stands outside the Royal Quarter in Brussels, Belgium.

Blessings.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not very well versed in history. That's my son's field of interest, he's the one with a BS in history.

So what I am saying is, I have know idea why that is interesting, although it seems odd. :erm

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not very well versed in history. That's my son's field of interest, he's the one with a BS in history.

So what I am saying is, I have know idea why that is interesting, although it seems odd. :erm

Anyway I mentioned Godefroid de Bouillon the Crusader because of his apparent link with the Aleppo Codex, that you referred to.

Blessings.

Hi Deborah! I had not heard of this before, it does sound intriguing. I wonder if there are any differences with the bible or other information, not as well known. If you come across anything, don't keep it from us!

Hi Deborah! I had not heard of this before, it does sound intriguing. I wonder if there are any differences with the bible or other information, not as well known. If you come across anything, don't keep it from us!

OK. I'll post if there are. It's only from Genesis to Chronicles, but that just may mean that the books are in a different order than we are used to. Something that is unusual is that it was written by one hand rather than several different scribes. However, the margins contain notes by a different hand or hands.
quote -
"From the labels [in the museum] I learned that the volume was no less than the most perfect copy of the Hebrew Bible, the singular and authoritative version, for believing Jews, of God's word as it was sent into the world of men in their language."
[ in the museum] mine
It is reported to be over a 1,000 yrs. old. and is called the Crown of Aleppo.

Here's something interesting that I found out accidently (really?).....Because of another thread I was checking out exactly where the Hebrew transliteration that I use at 'scripture4all' was from. It is from the WLC. This is what I found about the WLC at wiki.

"The Leningrad Codex (or Codex Leningradensis) is the oldest complete manuscript of the Hebrew Bible in Hebrew, using the masoretic text and Tiberian vocalization.[1] It is dated AD 1008 (or possibly AD 1009) according to its colophon.[2] The Aleppo Codex, against which the Leningrad Codex was corrected, is several decades older, but parts of it have been missing since 1947, making the Leningrad Codex the oldest complete codex of the Tiberian mesorah that has survived intact to this day.
In modern times, the Leningrad Codex is significant as the Hebrew text reproduced in Biblia Hebraica (1937) and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (1977). It also serves scholars as a primary source for the recovery of details in the missing parts of the Aleppo Codex."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex

This book sounds very interesting! I'm going to look it up at the Library here. Hope they have it!

This book sounds very interesting! I'm going to look it up at the Library here. Hope they have it!

Hi Angel, It was interesting for sure.
In my state we have a state library that one can download an ebook or audio book on loan, to a computer, kindle, nook, MP3, etc.
This is where I found this book.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back