Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth The Capacity of Faith

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

netchaplain

Faith does not admit in degrees of quantity, but in quality, as displayed in Mark 17:20 that even “a grain of mustard seed” is sufficient. Therefore, usages such as “little faith” (Mat 6:30) and “great faith” (Mat 8:10) must be capacities of quality.

The idea of “adding to faith” (2 Pet 1:5) intends not the combining of something extra to faith, but rather to the bringing out of all that is along (already inclusive) with faith, for such attributes like virtue, knowledge, etc. are by the Spirit and are inclusive with faith (same with the rest of His fruit), which become more manifest when exercised, similar to the concept that all possess every muscle, but the muscles that are exercised are mostly manifested.

Faith is never that which enables us to do, but is the provision to be used by the Spirit’s doing, for it is not faith in self that is effectual, but faith in God. Even in the greatest of saints it is imperfect, and at times weak and defective (still more valuable than gold - 1 Pet 1:7) in its exercise, which is expected due to the “old man”, but nevertheless is sufficient for the Spirit’s use.

The father of a child who had “a dumb spirit” told Jesus he “believed” but asked Him to “help his unbelief” (Mark 9:24), which evinced the awareness of the father’s imperfect faith. The Apostles asked Jesus to “increase our faith” (Luke 17:5), which also evinced a need to address a lack in their faith (again, an expected and acceptable deficiency).

I believe it is an encouraging exercise against discouragement, to walk in the awareness of our condition (tainted with the sin nature) while resting in the efficacy of Christ's atonement for our position (justified regardless).
-NC

‘“Add to your faith virtue”; or "with your faith," so the Arabic version renders it, and the like, in the following clauses. The sense is, that as it is the basis and foundation of all good works, it should not stand alone, there ought to be virtue, or good works along with it, by which it may be perfected, not essentially, but evidentially, or might appear to be true and genuine.”
-John Gill

I think you need to meet my husband. He is into this deep theology stuff too.:lol Great post!! James said, "Thus faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:17 When you start stepping out for the Lord, you find out right away how much faith you must have and how much the Lord will give you when you need it.

James said, "Thus faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:17

Thanks Sis for the compliment. I comprehend that "is dead" means the same as non-existent, or no faith, for all who are saved "through faith" (Eph 2:8) will have works in some degree, which will increase "from glory to glory, by the Spirit" (2 Cor 3:18), because there is not a single believer the Father does not work in "both to will and to do of His good pleasure" (Phl 2:13).

I am one who believes that we do not bring faith along, it--through the Spirit--brings us along.

I find your material instructionally refreshing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back