Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Jesus bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Wrg1405

From the Passion Movement, The Jesus Bible, NIV Edition, with exclusive articles from Louie Giglio, Max Lucado, John Piper, Ravi Zacharias, and Randy Alcorn, lifts Jesus up as the lead story of the Bible. Profound yet accessible study features help you meet Jesus throughout Scripture. See him in every book so that you may know him more intimately, love him more passionately, and walk with him more faithfully.

Has anyone got this?
If so is it worth getting it?

From the Passion Movement, The Jesus Bible, NIV Edition, with exclusive articles from Louie Giglio, Max Lucado, John Piper, Ravi Zacharias, and Randy Alcorn, lifts Jesus up as the lead story of the Bible. Profound yet accessible study features help you meet Jesus throughout Scripture. See him in every book so that you may know him more intimately, love him more passionately, and walk with him more faithfully.

Has anyone got this?
If so is it worth getting it?

I don't understand why this is an elevation of only one person of the Godhead. Why is it not called 'The God Bible'?

I don't understand why this is an elevation of only one person of the Godhead. Why is it not called 'The God Bible'?
I don't know, I think from the following that they are showing Jesus from every book in the bible.

• Introduction by Louie Giglio
  • 66 book introductions highlight the story of Jesus in every book
  • 7 compelling essays on the grand narrative of Scripture by Louie Giglio, Max Lucado, John Piper, Ravi Zacharias, and Randy Alcorn guide you to treasure Jesus and encourage you to faithfully follow him as you participate in his story
  • Over 300 full-page articles and nearly 700 sidebar articles reveal Jesus throughout all of Scripture
  • Single-column text of the most read, most trusted modern-English Bible the New International Version (NIV)
  • Room for notes and journaling throughout
  • NIV dictionary-concordance
  • Ribbon marker

I don't know, I think from the following that they are showing Jesus from every book in the bible.

• Introduction by Louie Giglio
  • 66 book introductions highlight the story of Jesus in every book
  • 7 compelling essays on the grand narrative of Scripture by Louie Giglio, Max Lucado, John Piper, Ravi Zacharias, and Randy Alcorn guide you to treasure Jesus and encourage you to faithfully follow him as you participate in his story
  • Over 300 full-page articles and nearly 700 sidebar articles reveal Jesus throughout all of Scripture
  • Single-column text of the most read, most trusted modern-English Bible the New International Version (NIV)
  • Room for notes and journaling throughout
  • NIV dictionary-concordance
  • Ribbon marker

Wrg,

Sounds excellent, but it still doesn't answer the issue I raised that this deals with only one person of the Godhead.

Why this elevation of only one person?

1 John 5:11-12 (NET) states, 'And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life'.

It is God who had provided eternal life in the Son, Jesus, so I expect that the Godhead should be given eminence in salvation.

What about the place of the Holy Spirit in salvation? 'For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit' (1 Cor 12:13 NASB).

Seems to me that we need a Bible that exalts the Godhead. Or, am I being too picky?

Oz

Wrg,

Sounds excellent, but it still doesn't answer the issue I raised that this deals with only one person of the Godhead.

1 John 5:11-12 (NET) states, 'And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. The one who has the Son has this eternal life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have this eternal life'.

It is God who had provided eternal life in the Son, Jesus, so I expect that the Godhead should be given eminence in salvation.

What about the place of the Holy Spirit in salvation? 'For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit' (1 Cor 12:13 NASB).

Seems to me that we need a Bible that exalts the Godhead. Or, am I being too picky?

Oz
Oz,

I can't answer your first question. I'm not sure whether it does exalt Jesus more than God or the Holy Spirit.

From a short paragraph I read it doesn't seem to focus on Jesus alone. The short paragraph starts with Genesis and it did say "So we can see that God created the world" something like that.

I think the purpose is to show that Jesus did not just appear when he came to earth but that Jesus has always been and how this is shown in all the bible.

That's why I'm asking the question has anybody read it.

I don't think you are being picky.

Oz,

I can't answer your first question. I'm not sure whether it does exalt Jesus more than God or the Holy Spirit.

From a short paragraph I read it doesn't seem to focus on Jesus alone. The short paragraph starts with Genesis and it did say "So we can see that God created the world" something like that.

I think the purpose is to show that Jesus did not just appear when he came to earth but that Jesus has always been and how this is shown in all the bible.

That's why I'm asking the question has anybody read it.

I don't think you are being picky.

I haven't read it and am not likely to read it, for the reasons I've given above. In addition, I have quite a number of various translations of the English Bible and Greek NT in my library. Then there is a drove of them online. I'll not be seeking out another Bible to buy.

Can I expect that you are freezing in cold while we swelter in oppressive head and humidity of mid summer?

Blessings,
Oz

I haven't read it and am not likely to read it, for the reasons I've given above. In addition, I have quite a number of various translations of the English Bible and Greek NT in my library. Then there is a drove of them online. I'll not be seeking out another Bible to buy.

Can I expect that you are freezing in cold while we swelter in oppressive head and humidity of mid summer?

Blessings,
Oz
I have various translations as well, the only Greek one I've got is the SLB Greek and I use Bible Hub.

I just wondered if anyone had read it and would endorse it before I spent my well earned GBP.

Yep freezing over here. A few snowflakes and we come to a standstill. Anything below 10c then it's winter coats. Anything above 14c then it's knobbly knees and a t-shirt.

God bless you brother

I have various translations as well, the only Greek one I've got is the SLB Greek and I use Bible Hub.

I just wondered if anyone had read it and would endorse it before I spent my well earned GBP.

Yep freezing over here. A few snowflakes and we come to a standstill. Anything below 10c then it's winter coats. Anything above 14c then it's knobbly knees and a t-shirt.

God bless you brother

Let's wait to see if anyone has read this translation. Can I presume you mean SBL Greek? It also is available online HERE.

Brisbane's temp today is expected to be 24-31C (plus very high humidity), but since 9am yesterday (it's now 7.47am Monday), we have had 83 mm of rain in a deluge of a storm.

Oz

Let's wait to see if anyone has read this translation. Can I presume you mean SBL Greek? It also is available online HERE.

Brisbane's temp today is expected to be 24-31C (plus very high humidity), but since 9am yesterday (it's now 7.47am Monday), we have had 83 mm of rain in a deluge of a storm.

Oz
Yes sorry SBL Greek.

24-31 my type of temperature. I almost went to Australia to work many many years ago.
As I was going through the process God bought me back to church, I met my wife to be and gave up my ideal to live there. It was my dream but God gave me a bigger dream.

I must say though that I like the dark cold nights over here. My wife doesn't, she if a sunny disposition and apparently I'm not (that's her joke for me).

I don't thinks I could spend Christmas Day on a beach or if the temp is 24-31

Wrg,

Oz
I remember studying Christology in college. It was interesting in that it pointed out Old Testiment characters that prefigured Christ. Seems to me a Bible that focuses on Jesus is a good thing. I have the Bible app and it's interesting to study the Bible from the perspective of Jesus. We would all do well to study individually the three persons of the Trinity. This Bible focuses on Jesus. I think that is a good thing.

If the Father foreloved you, he gives you to the Son. The Holy Spirit points hearts to the Son. The Son died and Lives to be the head of the body. ... I think the Godhead wants people to head to the DOOR as a logical first stop as they enter into this relationship.

Just guessing, but that's probably why the 'Jesus Bible' focused on Jesus.

the author chose to make it about Jesus .... Some one else could do another or 2 on God and or the Holy Spirit
I agree completely. What could be wrong with reading a book focusing on the presence of Jesus in and throughout all of scripture? When you honor one person of our triune God, you honor the triune God. This kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and somehow came to the conclusion that I had to speak to them all equally or at least 1 of the 3 would be offended. Lol

There are countless Bible studies that focus on one aspect of the Lord. If they are true to scripture, I do not believe they dishonor Him. I wouldn't use a Bible that did this as my primary version, but a study of scripture is different.

I agree completely. What could be wrong with reading a book focusing on the presence of Jesus in and throughout all of scripture? When you honor one person of our triune God, you honor the triune God. This kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and somehow came to the conclusion that I had to speak to them all equally or at least 1 of the 3 would be offended. Lol

There are countless Bible studies that focus on one aspect of the Lord. If they are true to scripture, I do not believe they dishonor Him. I wouldn't use a Bible that did this as my primary version, but a study of scripture is different.

I agree the above, I do remember being confused about to whom I was speaking to or praying through.
Did I/Do we always have to end a prayer with "In Jesus name or I ask this in Jesus name"

With regards to my post and as I have pondered it my thoughts are,

Jesus makes references to the Father, their relationship and purpose/plan for the world.

Jesus said he has come down from heaven to do the will of the Father.
Jesus said no one can come to me unless the Father draws them to me.
Jesus said "if you have seen me then you have seen the Father"
Jesus said he had to go back to the Father in order for the Holy Spirit to come.

John 10:30
I and My Father are one.

John 1:1-4

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

So my thoughts led to the following. To me it reveals God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

So just looking at the very first book in the bible

Genesis 1:1-2

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

Genesis 3:14-15

So the Lord God said to the serpent: “Because you have done this, You are cursed more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field; On your belly you shall go, And you shall eat dust All the days of your life.
And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.”

So Genesis 3:15 is a reference to Jesus, Gods plan of salvation already in place.

I'm not a scholar, and maybe my above thoughts could be torn analysed and corrected but I have not read the Jesus bible.

I do understand what Oz is worried about. I agree with Mike, if it honours scripture then surely it does not dishonour the Godhead.

Just my simple thoughts.

most of us find what we look for

reba,

That might be your philosophy, but I want to know what the biblical text states and not what I put into the text. I choose to practise exegesis and not eisegesis with the biblical text. Does that make me the opposite of a postmodern reconstructionist?

Oz

When you honor one person of our triune God, you honor the triune God.

Since when?

That's like saying to honour my mother is to honour my father. Surely you know that that is baloney!

reba,

That might be your philosophy, but I want to know what the biblical text states and not what I put into the text. I choose to practise exegesis and not eisegesis with the biblical text. Does that make me the opposite of a postmodern reconstructionist?

Oz
Mat_7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back