Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Major League Baseball Season Has Started

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
While I admire all the teams...... at the top of the teams tree is the Cubs (win, lose, or not even show up), followed by half a split hair length distance the Cards & the White Sox .... the rest of the teams follow, with the exception of the Yankees who are at the bottom by themselves.

I love the game of baseball....I can't play it a bit, so am glad my life has never depended on that ability! I used to play softball (equally not good at). But that's okay... I can sit in the stands or in front of the tv and watch the games.... or I can listen to games via radio. Any which way, I'm happy.

It really doesn't take much to make me happy: our Lord & baseball.

I was a huge fan of baseball and the St. Louis Cardinals in the early sixties. We won the World Series (over the Yankees) in 1964 and my favorite player, Ken Boyer, was the NL most valuable player. When Boyer was traded away in 1966 I lost some of my enthusiasm.

And I'm not the huge fan I used to be. Baseball in the snow, late start time for the playoffs and world series so I can't watch them, switching playoff games to cable TV, which I don't have, and steroids, that caused Roger Maris's homerun record to be broken, have all caused me to lose some interest, though I still watch my favorite players in the box scores and pull for the Cardinals.

I understand the dislike of the steroid controversy. I, too, was upset about that ... and continue to dislike each new case as it comes along. That has done a lot of damage to the world of sports; it would be nice if there was some way to manage greed....but I think that might be merely a pipe dream.

One of the big thrills before the steriods era was watching to see if someone was going to break Roger Maris's record of 61 homeruns.

We call that time period the BSE (before steroids era), and everything after that SE (Steroids Era) .... until all steroid using players 'fess up & stop using, we can't have AFE (After Steroids Era). It's sad.

There were quite a few who called into question the achievements of some of the steroid-using players after their use was exposed.

Still, you would have thought some of the players would have questioned the use of steroids after that pro football player developed brain cancer & later died from his steroid use in the 70s (I think it was)... can't recall his name, but he was vocal during the last couple of years of his life, urging others not to use steroids.

We call that time period the BSE (before steroids era), and everything after that SE (Steroids Era) .... until all steroid using players 'fess up & stop using, we can't have AFE (After Steroids Era). It's sad.

There were quite a few who called into question the achievements of some of the steroid-using players after their use was exposed.

Still, you would have thought some of the players would have questioned the use of steroids after that pro football player developed brain cancer & later died from his steroid use in the 70s (I think it was)... can't recall his name, but he was vocal during the last couple of years of his life, urging others not to use steroids.

Lyle Alzado is the player

Well, a new era begins for me as Albert Pujols and Tony La Russa leave my Cardinals.

Lyle Alzado is the player

Thank you, modernihilst, for his name ... I simply couldn't remember it, and he was such a kind gentleman.

Uhmmm...it might not be the Yankees who will win this season's World Series.... but I can guarantee it will be a Yanks' team that will :yes

I liked LaRussa...didn't always understand some of the decisions he made, but for some reason, he didn't ask me my opinion. (I know....some people's kids, huh)

He had talked for the past handful of years that he would like to retire, spend time with his family, so his decision wasn't completely a surprise when it was announced. It marked an end to quite an era.... but hopefully, this new era will be even better.
Time will tell.

I liked LaRussa...didn't always understand some of the decisions he made, but for some reason, he didn't ask me my opinion. (I know....some people's kids, huh)

He had talked for the past handful of years that he would like to retire, spend time with his family, so his decision wasn't completely a surprise when it was announced. It marked an end to quite an era.... but hopefully, this new era will be even better.
Time will tell.

So how are the Cubs and White Sox looking this year?

The Cubs look promising .... how promising, tho, remains to be seen. One bright note for the Cubs: no Big Z ... he was traded. His tirades won't be missed.

Haven't really had a look at the White Sox as yet ... word has it the team gave a breath of relief with the new manager.... but you know how rumours go :shrug

I'll still travel to sit in their respective ball parks, tho .... I really like Wrigley ... the history of the place is almost tangible, if you know what I mean

The Cubs look promising .... how promising, tho, remains to be seen. One bright note for the Cubs: no Big Z ... he was traded. His tirades won't be missed.

Haven't really had a look at the White Sox as yet ... word has it the team gave a breath of relief with the new manager.... but you know how rumours go :shrug

I'll still travel to sit in their respective ball parks, tho .... I really like Wrigley ... the history of the place is almost tangible, if you know what I mean

I grew up in northeast Iowa where the Chicago teams were king. I was a Cub fan when they had one of my "heroes," Dave Kingman.

I listened to a game played at Wrigley where the Phillies beat the Cubs, 23-22 in 10 innings. The Cubs trailed 9-0 after half an inning and 9-8 after the first. Later they trailed 21-9 but tied it at 22-22. Kingman hit three homeruns, but it was Mike Schmidt's 10th inning homerun, his second of the day, that made difference.

Dave Kingman & Mike Schmidt .... two names I haven't heard in quite the while

Yes, they were great players and lovers of the game

My favorite player in the 70s, however, was Tug McGraw .... didn't matter what team he pitched for, I watched (if at all possible). His rookie card was the first baseball card I bought for my son when he was born ... the card was worth an entire 25-cents at the time ... oh well

Dave Kingman & Mike Schmidt .... two names I haven't heard in quite the while

Yes, they were great players and lovers of the game

My favorite player in the 70s, however, was Tug McGraw .... didn't matter what team he pitched for, I watched (if at all possible). His rookie card was the first baseball card I bought for my son when he was born ... the card was worth an entire 25-cents at the time ... oh well

Tug McGraw was the star reliever on the 1969 Mets. They amazed the world by winning the World Series that year (their first winning season since their inception in 1962). I was pulling for the Mets that year since my brother was a Met fan.

I was cheering for the Mets as well... because of Tug .... It was a sad day when he retired... but that happens to all of us at one time or another

And now he's gone.

I was cheering for the Mets as well... because of Tug .... It was a sad day when he retired... but that happens to all of us at one time or another

And now he's gone.

Tom Seaver became one of my heroes.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back