Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The media's negative depiction of the father

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
U

UnderHisWings

Hi, I'm a college student and I wrote this for my English class. I know it's kind of long, :0/ but Christian parents were my intended audience so I wanted to put this somewhere where I could get their opinions. (You can reply if your not a parent too,) I'd love to hear whatever!

“Dumb Daddiesâ€Â
The Media’s Negative Portrayal of the Father

Desperate for a break from all the studying, I’m watching football with my roommate. Between quarters a commercial comes on depicting a mother and father presenting their two teenage daughters with a cell phone. The father excitedly states “now you can call us more!†to which both the girls exchange looks of dismay. The mother retaliates “and you can call your friends more!†to which they thankfully embrace her. The father uncouthly spurts out “group hug†when after he clumsily tries to hug his daughters. They evade him by hurriedly walking away with their mother, leaving him awkwardly standing alone in his lumbering ignorance. “Ick!†I manifested, lying on the floor. “What’s wrong?†my roommate Laura questioned, gazing down at me with surprise at my sudden outburst. I knew my conscience was finding its way to the soap box, but there was no way now to stop my disgust from being vented. “I can’t stand how on TV and in so many movies fathers are portrayed as bumbling idiots that their wives and children have to rise above!â€Â

It seems like I can’t watch a TV show or movie these days, especially those focused towards young people or children, without seeing fathers who are rude, childish buffoons who have no control over their lives, homes, or children. I’m sick of seeing fathers who are not regarded respectfully, don’t hold to any perceived values, and are pathetic in their powerlessness to enforce their wishes. This is not how I want the father role to be viewed by my and younger generations. Growing up in a loving, Godly home my father’s respect was demanded of me. At the time I couldn’t always see a lot of the wisdom in his rules or discipline but looking back I have a lot of “aha†moments, and “so that’s why he did that†realizations. Now as a college student, no longer a child living with my family, but not quite mature enough to start my own, I’m able to take a step back and analyze this issue from an objective stand point. I’m not a parent nor am I a child; connected to both, but not close enough to be fiercely associated with either role. The second of seven children, I value the family and believe that the father’s Biblically defined role isn’t something that should be compromised or taken lightly. My respect for that role, and for my own father, compels me to assess this dissonance I feel. If the media is constantly minimalizing and forsaking the traditional family, with the father revered as head of the household, what type of effect will it have on its audience? It is my belief that the media’s negative depiction of the father, by way of TV, movies, and advertising, will gradually eat away at child and teen viewers respect of their own fathers.

Maybe you have never considered or recognized Hollywood’s seemingly recent trend of “dumb daddies†focused in our movies, TV shows, and even commercials. Robert Rivera, in his 2000 Citizen article “Daddy (not quite) Dearest†writes: “the most telling aspects about a culture are those which merit no comment-aspects people assume to be unremarkable.†Why is it that we don’t even think twice after watching shows where fathers manipulate their children, seek only their self-interest, behave like idiotic morons, or fail to lead by example? Have we come to accept this as the norm, unconsciously desensitized to the media’s lack of positive models?

Go to Blockbuster, close your eyes, and pick up a movie; Wade Horn, president of the National Fatherhood Initiative in Gaithersburg, MD said that “If you were to choose a movie at random, among all of them released, probably you’d pick a movie with no father. That might be because there are a lot of movies that don’t focus on family situations. But even if you picked a movie where there was a family, chances are there wouldn’t be a father. And if there was a father, you’d probably find [him] negatively portrayed.†Think Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin; animated films most every American child’s grown up loving. Although these movies are all highly recommendable for the truths they illustrate, look deeper, and you might sense an overhanging gloom: the inept father. In The Little Mermaid King Trident loves his daughter Ariel, yet is domineering and insensitive; in one scene he is thrown into a violent rage where he heartlessly and recklessly smashes her collection of treasures. In Beauty and the Beast, Belle’s father is lovable, but in many ways helpless. He gets lost and, after imprisoned by the Beast, is powerless in stopping Belle from ransoming her freedom for his. In Aladdin, Jasmine’s father, although possessing authority as the king, shows little power in protecting his kingdom or daughter. Shows such as these may teach children that although fathers have good intentions, they don’t always know what’s best for you. Such ideals can ingrain upon a child’s minds the need for independence and self-reliance which inevitably leads to rebellion and disrespect for the standards of his/ her parents.

What about TV? In 1999 the National Fatherhood Institute examined parenting as portrayed by TV’s prime-time dads. Of the 102 shows surveyed, only 15 fathers appeared as characters and only four of those 15 shown to be caring, competent, and good role models for their children. So, at that time, about 95% of the fathers portrayed on TV were not positive role models. I’m sure you’ve seen them; The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle; shows with fathers who are just in there for “the laughs,†the butts of every joke.

We live in an age where fatherhood has been depreciated and a menacing paintbrush is held raised, determined to whitewash the priceless illustration of the family we as Christians must guard. An impairing lie according to Roberto Rivera, of Focus on the Family, persuades that “the minute men start acting like traditional fathers, acting as if they are the heads of the household, acting in line with biblical principles, they run the risk of “damaging†their kids and turning their wives into ‘mutes.’ †Disciplining methods, such as spanking, are in wide-eyed horror labeled “abuse,†and those who believe the husband should be the final authority in the home are hailed as close-minded, unprogressive, chauvinists. Radical feminists, such as Peggy McIntosh in her essay “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack,†advocate that for women’s oppression to cease, men, as over privileged “oppressors,†must be stripped of their unearned power. To them the idea of a traditional family headed by a father is a setback for women and for society. In compliance, the media has seemed to almost bend-backwards to prove that it is not old-fashioned in portraying women as the stereotypical stay at home mom. Thus, while the mother is portrayed as sensible and intelligent, the father is depicted as a buffoon. Instead of feeling “powerful,†as a woman, I feel disgusted. The message I perceive is that “in order for woman to be conceived as smart, men have to be the fools.†I was once taught that your desire and need to belittle people rushes from your own river of insecurity; why would we then, as women, do what these “reformists†would desire by putting men in their so called “place†unless we’re insecure about who we are? Granted, women do face discrimination in the work force as well as in other realms of society, and fathers are not perfect; they make countless mistakes, loose their tempers, and stub their toes like the rest of us. However, pushing men, and therefore fathers, to a lower position of power only produces, for women, a false aura of escalation.

In view of God’s word, a father is called to be the spiritual leader of his home as well as a compassionate, loving model of our Heavenly Father to his wife and children. Proverbs 22:6 says "Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it†and Deuteronomy 11:19 says “And you shall teach [God's commandments] to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up." Fathers are spiritually adorned with the authority to train their children in the way of righteousness and to teach their children God’s holy, living Word. However, in order for this to be possible they must in themselves be men of integrity who rejoice in a relationship with God. I remember reading once “You teach what you know, you reproduce who you are.†Fathers are called to model their lives after our Heavenly Father in order that their children’s lives may follow. Furthermore, in modeling Christ to their children, fathers cannot neglect the importance of respecting and loving their wives. Ephesians 5: 22 says: “Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing,†also verse 25: “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it†Husbands are not called to be dictators over their wives, but to treat them lovingly and unselfishly as Christ does to us.

I don’t want you to walk away from reading this believing that the media is “the devil’s spawn†and that tonight you need to heave your television into a bonfire in order to cleanse yourselves from its accursed filth. When you’re watching your weight do you forsake all food because doughnuts and French fries are bad for you? No, of course not, instead you monitor, and practice wisdom in choosing, what you consume. In the same way, use discernment in what you permit your children to watch. Critically preview the shows and movies you are allowing your children to see; put yourself in their position to examine what certain morals and guidelines are being advocated. A lot of what we view as normal is because the media’s told us it is so. Certainly a child, after viewing a pathetic dad in a sit-com or movie, won’t immediately think “wow, fathers are stupid, maybe my dad’s not as big as he thinks he is.†However, what your children are viewing can unconsciously gradually eat away at their mindsets, shaping their world-views. It is crucial to watch these shows with them and afterwards discuss issues such as: what happened, why, and if it’s right or not. For example: “Why did the little mermaid’s father smash up all her treasures that meant so much to her? Why was he angry? Because he was angry did that make it right for him to do that?â€Â
Hollywood has increasingly contributed to the perversion of foundational family values. Thus, in light of a scripturally based perspective, we must mold our concept of the father’s role not around what the media displays for us, but of that of our Heavenly Father. The media’s negative depiction of the father, by way of TV, movies, and advertising, will gradually eat away at child and teen viewers respect of their own fathers. However, if you will take the time to invest in it, the media can in fact prove to be a very powerful tool in teaching your children how to look at fathers, and the world, from a Biblically-based stand-point.

Well written and very discerning! I couldn't agree more, and i think this is something that people are'nt realizing, except in a subliminal negative way.

Good article.

I think that the buffoon father is partly a backlash against the older TV shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver." The father was too perfect. People want to see imperfection in characters for drama effects. It is just like the nerd, kid and the stupid cute character. For every good thing, you have to give them something bad to make them more real.

It would be interesting to look at mothers like the domineering mothers on Malcolm in the Middle or Roseanne. Jill on Home Improvement just reacts to her husband and tries to reel him back to reality and sensativity. Marge on the Simpsons is caught between raising kids and finding her own dreams. She pushes both conservative and liberal values on her kids and seems to be in conflict with her emotions.

I think kid movies are a special case because it is hard to have an adventure with good parents unless they shrink you by accident. So the family structure is usually broken up to allow for freedom of adventure.

Quath

What a GREAT paper!!! There are some lousy fathers out there, but there are also lousy mothers. Also, there are GREAT fathers and great mothers. My hubby may not be "bright" all the time, but he's a darn good Daddy and I was truly blessed with him. I can't imagine my kids having any other person as their daddy.

That was a really good paper though!

I thought the commercial was funny.

IMO, it was the daughters who were portrayed negatively. They looked like typical high school girls, only caring about popularity and the like. The father looked as if he was willing to do anything to connect with his daughters. But anyway, the marriage and family system in modern american society is set up to create failing fathers(as in being close to the family.)

It seems to me this article promotes another extreme. I don't believe fathers should be depicted as bumbling gullible idiots, however, nor do I believe they should be depicted as authoritarian and dominating. Surely there's a middle ground? Well, there is in my home and my parents have been married for nearly 25 years. I respect my father, and my father likewise respects my mother without the need to subjugate her or me. Works like a charm, and no idealist is going to convince me to the contrary. :wink:

hey, thank you all for giving me your imput! It's great to get others' opinions on this topic. :0) I wanted to clear some stuff up though :0/

I do not think that all fathers are perfect and should be portrayed as such in the media. Fathers are most certainly not perfect-they "stub their toes and loose their tempers like the rest of us." I would not be miffed if I saw fathers once and a while being portrayed negatively because I am certain that it is very realistic to real life. However, it seems as though a trend has erupted where all I ever see are stupid, irresponsible, selfish fathers. We should be aware that this is happening so we can guard ourselves against the wrong kind of messages-funny as they may be. I also do not believe that fathers should be "authoritarian" and "dominating" by no means. I wrote that fathers should follow the example of God the father who is loving and compassionate. Does God "subjugate" us? Is he "dominating?"No way!!! Fathers shouldn't be all "macho" or uncaring towards the desires and wishes of their families however they are the head of their household and are called to hold authority.

I hope that answered some of the confusion on my paper. Thank you and God bless! :0)

UnderHisWings said:
hey, thank you all for giving me your imput! It's great to get others' opinions on this topic. :0) I wanted to clear some stuff up though :0/

I do not think that all fathers are perfect and should be portrayed as such in the media. Fathers are most certainly not perfect-they "stub their toes and loose their tempers like the rest of us." I would not be miffed if I saw fathers once and a while being portrayed negatively because I am certain that it is very realistic to real life. However, it seems as though a trend has erupted where all I ever see are stupid, irresponsible, selfish fathers.

I don't understand why you even think this. You think that the small percentage of people you see in the news or even meet in passing in the supermarket is an actual statistic representing the average father?? What kind of argument is that?

We should be aware that this is happening so we can guard ourselves against the wrong kind of messages-funny as they may be.

What messages??

I also do not believe that fathers should be "authoritarian" and "dominating" by no means. I wrote that fathers should follow the example of God the father who is loving and compassionate. Does God "subjugate" us? Is he "dominating?"No way!!! Fathers shouldn't be all "macho" or uncaring towards the desires and wishes of their families however they are the head of their household and are called to hold authority.

Are you saying that dads should be wrathful and jealous as well, if I child speaks of someone elses father, or talks to someone elses father?

Or maybe if the child eventually drifts away from the father, he should beat the child senseless for eternity, and offer rewards for obedience, like a good dog.

UnderHisWings said:

I do not think that all fathers are perfect and should be portrayed as such in the media. Fathers are most certainly not perfect-they "stub their toes and loose their tempers like the rest of us." I would not be miffed if I saw fathers once and a while being portrayed negatively because I am certain that it is very realistic to real life. However, it seems as though a trend has erupted where all I ever see are stupid, irresponsible, selfish fathers. We should be aware that this is happening so we can guard ourselves against the wrong kind of messages-funny as they may be. I also do not believe that fathers should be "authoritarian" and "dominating" by no means. I wrote that fathers should follow the example of God the father who is loving and compassionate. Does God "subjugate" us? Is he "dominating?"No way!!! Fathers shouldn't be all "macho" or uncaring towards the desires and wishes of their families however they are the head of their household and are called to hold authority.

I hope that answered some of the confusion on my paper. Thank you and God bless! :0)
What do you mean "the father is the head of the house and is called to hold authority"? Does he make all the decisions? Are the wretched women and children now allowed a say? If they are, is he allowed to reject their input into decision making? If so, then he is cruel. If not, then he isn't really the ultimate authority - there is just a facade he is.

22 Wives, be in subjection unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, and Christ also is the head of the church, being himself the saviour of the body.

24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives also be to their husbands in everything.
Everything? :-? When it says that wives should be in subjection to their husbands does that mean they have to do everything they're told? Does the husband have to take her into account? Is she too stupid to make decisions for herself?

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself up for it;

26 that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word,

27 that he might present the church to himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 Even so ought husbands also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his own wife loveth himself:

29 for no man ever hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as Christ also the church;

30 because we are members of his body.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall become one flesh.

32 This mystery is great: but I speak in regard of Christ and of the church.
This is just silly. How can you command anyone to love? You either love or you do not. It either comes easily (in which case it is not even comparable to the wife's command to be submissive) or it doesn't come at all. And remember, submission is a tangible action; love is completely non-corporeal.

33 Nevertheless do ye also severally love each one his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see that she fear her husband.
:o Just as Christians fear God... a wife should fear her husband. Absolutely terrible advise, this I know, for I have to listen to the women next door be regularly beaten by her husband. No doubt her parents taught her she must be in subjection and fear of her husband. Other translations use reverend or dread (just as disgusting), or respect to attempt to make it sound a little bettter.

Instead of posting another Bible verse (not to mention I have already seen that verse hundreds of times before), why don't you actually answer mine and Asimov's questions?

Back