Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Messiah and 3 days and 3 nights?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rstrats

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

The logical conclusion is that He was about to descend to the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights.

Why, is that the case you intend on making? : )

Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah describes the bottoms of the mountains, the earth with her bars was about him for ever, yet his life was brought up from corruption. ( from that place.)

The heart of the earth then was described, and Jesus unlike Jonah, went there for every man.

The men of Nineveh repented at the preaching of Jonas, ( who was cast down to the heart of the earth, and did ot go there foe everybody.) and that generation of Israel did not repent at Christ. ( who came to die for them, so their life is all brought up from corruption.)

Jonah 1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah 2:6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Christ saw no corruption, that day the Father begat Him. ( when risen for us all)

Acts 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.
34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Israel had the wisdom of Solomon, but rejected the wisdom of Christ.

They did not beware of the prophets, they are despisers and perish, for not believing the work a man did, which they did not believe, though it was declared to them.

Through that man ( Jesus Christ the Son of man) is preached forgiveness of sins. ( Jonah was cast down to hell for the sin of disobeying God to warn the men of Nineveh, but this shows us an example of Christ through it.)

Acts 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.
40 Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets;
41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

He had pointed out they had rejected the sign of Jonah, and they had rejected him as well. Jesus made a comparison between the account of Jonah and himself. No doubt when his disciples observed this after the fact, it would have strengthened them greatly for their upcoming assignment.

He had pointed out they had rejected the sign of Jonah, and they had rejected him as well. Jesus made a comparison between the account of Jonah and himself. No doubt when his disciples observed this after the fact, it would have strengthened them greatly for their upcoming assignment.
So then you don't think there is anything meaningful about there being 3 days and 3 nights.

But why 3 days and 3 nights? Why not 2 days and 2 nights? Was there something special about the former?

I'm not sure what you're asking.
1. We are torn and smitten, we will be healed, we will be bound up.

2. After two days God revives us.

3. In the third day He will raise us up, and we shall live in His sight.

Then we know if we follow on to know the Lord, His going forth is prepared as the morning, and He comes to us as the rain, the latter and the former rain unto the earth.

Hosea 6:1 Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

1. We are torn and smitten, we will be healed, we will be bound up.

2. After two days God revives us.

3. In the third day He will raise us up, and we shall live in His sight.
But again, why 3 days and 3 nights? Why not 2 days and 2 nights? Was there something special/meaningful about the former?

So then you don't think there is anything meaningful about there being 3 days and 3 nights.
If there is anything beyond what I posted, I am ignorant of it sir. There were many prophesies that was fulfilled that identify Jesus as being the Messiah, and I believe that Jesus used the account of Jonah to strengthen the faith of his apostles. If it wasn't for Jesus making that comparison, I might not have even given it a second thought about the two accounts being related. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help Rstrats.

Hi rstrats

I believe that Jesus was just telling them what was going to happen, so that those who were aware, would understand when he did rise from the grave three days later. However, as to 'why' Jesus chose 3 days and 3 nights, I really haven't a clue. Do you have something that would give understanding of his words?

As has been pointed out, Jesus referenced the three days and nights that Jonah was in the big fish, when he spoke of how he would also be three days and nights in the heart of the earth. Other than the period of time being the same, I honestly don't know why it would have been three days.

God bless,
Ted

The Pharisees want a sign from the Messiah and the only sign they would get is the sign of Jonah . This "sign of Jonah" was prepared in advance for the Pharisees many years ago ! God knows the future. Jonah was "buried" in a great fish prepared for Jonah where Jonah stayed for three days and three nights until Jonah was expelled out of the great fish onto dry land . I think Jonah needed a bath at that point . The point was for the Pharisees , they knew about Jonah .

https://crossexamined.org/the-mind-blowing-meaning-behind-the-sign-of-jonah/

But why did it have to be three days and three nights? Was there something meaningful about that period of time?
God had the Israelites to prepare because of what was happening on the third day .
Exodus Chapter 19
10 the Lord said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments 11 and be ready for the third day. For on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.

And there is what Jesus said here .
John 2:19, “Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

And read what gordon777 said about the verses in Hosea . Thank's gordon777 .

I see a pattern with three day and three nights .

Your answer is where it has always been rstrats , your answer is with God . I hope you find it .

THE SYMOBLIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THE THIRD DAY IN SCRIPTURE

Last edited:
God had the Israelites to prepare because of what was happening on the third day .
Exodus Chapter 19
10 the Lord said to Moses, “Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow, and let them wash their garments 11 and be ready for the third day. For on the third day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people.

And there is what Jesus said here .
John 2:19, “Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

And read what gordon777 said about the verses in Hosea . Thank's gordon777 .

I see a pattern with three day and three nights .

Your answer is where it has always been rstrats , your answer is with God . I hope you find it .

THE SYMOBLIC SIGNIFICANCE OF THE THIRD DAY IN SCRIPTURE
Gordon's post and your link seem to be referring to calendar days when talking about the significance of the number 3. I think that a number of folks believe that any part of a calendar day could be counted as a day. Is that your position?

But again, why 3 days and 3 nights? Why not 2 days and 2 nights? Was there something special/meaningful about the former?
Three days, A beginning, a middle, and an end.

We began with Adam, we died. first day, of being away from the Lord, smitten, dead.

The Messiah is smitten of God for us, to heal us and return us to the Lord.

All in Adam die, ( first day) all in Christ shall be made alive.

After two days we are revived. ( Christ preaching the Gospel.)

In the third day God raises us up, and we live in His sight. ( as those that are alive fro the dead.

Isaiah 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Hosea 6:1 Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up.
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

There cant be second day, because there has to be awareness of the day before salvation, and the day of salvation is a different day, and it was preached to us all, and the third day is the rising of Christ from the dead.

2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

We were the dead, we had Christ preach to the dead, and Christ die, to revive us from the dead. ( believing in Him being the life and light of men.)

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Ephesians 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

3 days and 3 nights is a Jewish idiomatic (slang) for 3 consecutive days.

Jesus was crucified on the Passover the Friday before the Sabbath which began at sundown on Friday. They hurried to get Him down from the cross before the Sabbath began.

Hosea is as close as can be found in regard to why 3 days. Jesus testified that the 3 days was given prophecy. That it was written the Christ was to suffer and rise on the third day. Isaiah 53 speaks of the suffering servant. Also Peter in acts 2 noted the prophecy in regard to Gods Holy one would not see decay and David died and was buried to that very day so it wasn't about Him it was about Christs resurrection.

Hosea 6:1-2
“Come, let us return to the Lord.
He has torn us to pieces
but he will heal us;
he has injured us
but he will bind up our wounds.
2 After two days he will revive us;
on the third day he will restore us,
that we may live in his presence.

3 days and 3 nights is a Jewish idiomatic (slang) for 3 consecutive days.

Jesus was crucified on the Passover the Friday before the Sabbath which began at sundown on Friday. They hurried to get Him down from the cross before the Sabbath began.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back