Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs the old homestead

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jasonc

I am a homestead ,
I one of many helSeth. homes
I was owned by Arnold and Ruth helseth
I remember the passenger trains,ww1,ww2 ,the Spanish American war .
before Oslo road ,I am
I remember waldo sexton,Ruth and axel hallstrom ,charles Gifford and whose wife who stayed in my neighbors house to teach the kids in the school house .
I,am empty know
I have inspired many retelling of my history

There's a sadness in seeing an old home starting to go. So many memories imprinted in those rooms.

All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.
We meet them at the door-way, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
There are more guests at table than the hosts
Invited; the illuminated hall
Is thronged with quiet, inoffensive ghosts,
As silent as the pictures on the wall....

From Haunted Houses by Longfellow

There's a sadness in seeing an old home starting to go. So many memories imprinted in those rooms.
Looking at the roofline, it appears the house still has a solid foundation. Assuming there isn't much water damage, it might not be too expensive to renovate the home. Certainly less costly than replacing it entirely.

That's what we did with our home. When we bought this old farm, although we could live in it, it needed quite a bit of work. Long story short, my wife and I stripped the entire inside and outside down to the wall studs (was lath and plaster), upsized the main electrical supply, upgraded the electrical system, added dual fuel electric heat, insulated (there was no insulation), installed drywall, repainted, and trimmed, and upgraded the fuel oil furnace. We removed the original hand dug root cellar/basement, which was only under a small part of the home and showing signs of deterioration, framed and poured new footings, and build a new block foundation with complete basement. Stripped and replaced the siding and roofing.

I would save money until I could buy the materials to do a room and then remodel the room. It took 12 years to complete but was well worth it.

Looking at the roofline, it appears the house still has a solid foundation. Assuming there isn't much water damage, it might not be too expensive to renovate the home. Certainly less costly than replacing it entirely.

That's what we did with our home. When we bought this old farm, although we could live in it, it needed quite a bit of work. Long story short, my wife and I stripped the entire inside and outside down to the wall studs (was lath and plaster), upsized the main electrical supply, upgraded the electrical system, added dual fuel electric heat, insulated (there was no insulation), installed drywall, repainted, and trimmed, and upgraded the fuel oil furnace. We removed the original hand dug root cellar/basement, which was only under a small part of the home and showing signs of deterioration, framed and poured new footings, and build a new block foundation with complete basement. Stripped and replaced the siding and roofing.

I would save money until I could buy the materials to do a room and then remodel the room. It took 12 years to complete but was well worth it.

All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.
We meet them at the door-way, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
There are more guests at table than the hosts
Invited; the illuminated hall
Is thronged with quiet, inoffensive ghosts,
As silent as the pictures on the wall....

From Haunted Houses by Longfellow
well I live by it and pass it too work and back if I have to use us1.it was occupied less then a year ago and despite its looks ,it was recently fixed a bit as the screen and front door were damaged .squatters likely .the house is one I would see for work as I had it on the timber ridge route .I can post a cell phone image taken 6 years ago and you won't see much change .

I have a photo of it taken by the family ,probably not later then 1930 ,lot cleared and white sand ,car is 30s look .yet the county says it pre 1900 .I might have to visit the parent county archive to look

I may inquire more since its tied to a middle school and its owner's relative Arnold helseth used photos of all of his families and settlers of Viking and Oslo to have a middle school called Oslo .

What was the parent helseth ?I will remember it .he lies in viking .his cemetery is actually part of where he settled .only that remains

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back