Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

There is an alternative to trinitarianism/ non-trinitarianism.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So you don't agree with how Isaiah 9:6 is translated? I also don't agree with it.
No, that is not at all what I said. It is translated fine; it's a matter of understanding what is said.

I don't agree with it for many reasons, but among them is that the Hebrew words for "mighty God" are not even translated as "mighty God" when they are used elsewhere in the Old Testament. Ezekiel 32:21, for example, proves that Isaiah 9:6's "gib·bō·wr ’êl" (mighty god) is a subjective and dogmatic translation.
Yet, 'el is translated as God 204 times in the OT, out of around the 240 times it is used. So, no, Eze 32:21 proves nothing of the sort, especially since the translation likely depends other things. For instance, in Isa 9:6, it is speaking in the singular, whereas Eze 32:21 is in the plural. There is much that goes into translation, including considering the multiple meanings that a lot of words have.

Jesus uses Father as a name.
What do you mean?
Exactly, that is the whole reason the doctrine of the Trinity best takes into account the full biblical revelation. If each of the three persons are divine in the same way, which, as you put it means they are “coequal in their divine nature,” then you have three options:

1. Tri-theism
2. Modalism
3. Trinitarianism.

The first goes against the clear monotheism of Scripture—there is only one true God. The second goes against the clear, consistent distinction between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

That leaves the third as the only logical conclusion. Since there is only one true God and he exists as three coeternal, coequal, consubstantial persons, it follows that the name Yahweh applies to the Son and the Holy Spirit as well.
There is also another option: to acknowledge the fact based on Jesus' words and the usage of 'God' in NT that the Father is the only true God and Yahweh of the OT. Than all the pieces come together: there are three divine beings:
1. Yahweh God the Father, the only true God
2. Jesus Christ, his Son and our Lord
3. The Holy Spirit

You see? One God and 3 persons of the same nature. Seems like all according to the Scriptures.
I am not saying that the one true God is different from the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; I am saying they are the one true God. I am stating the doctrine of the Trinity—that there are three coequal, coeternal, consubstantial persons within the one being that is God. In other words, as theologians say, the one true God is tri-personal, and there never was a time when he was not tri-personal.

The problem for your position is that you have to relate the three persons somehow. It will not do to say there are three divine persons that are “coequal in their divine nature,” and leave it at that. There is only one God that has divine nature, so if all three are coequal in divine nature, you have to be able to account for how that works if only one is God.
Free this works fine. The doctrine of the Trinity is just a logical construct and a way to reconcile seemingly mutually exclusive revelations:
1. There is only one true God
2. There are 3 divine persons

Trinitarians solve it by introducing some new god consisting of three persons. But that is against the scriptures, that is wrong. Throughout the whole scripture we only see these three: Yahweh, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. No one else divine except them.

But as I said there is also another way, which is fully based on scriptures. Your are saying 'There is only one God that has divine nature'. I know the basis for its first part but have difficulty with the second. What 'there is one who has divine nature' is based on? As I understand term 'God' is used as a title it doesn't necessarily describe nature. Even humans can be called gods, as you know. Jesus was also called 'God', if humans are under some conditions worthy then all the more he. But in the proper sense it belongs only to the Yahweh God, the Father. He is the only true God and this is fully according to the NT. Title God doesn't belong to Jesus and what's wrong with that? That doesn't make him less divine. So there are three divine, among whom the Father is the leader and God: Yahweh God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit acting like one not because they are one person but because of mutual love, obedience and faithfulness. This is what NT is about. Sorry for my poor English I'm not a native speaker.
I have done so above.

What do you mean?
That often when Jesus speaks to the Father, “Father” is used as a name. It isn’t just another title used for Yahweh, it’s the name of a “person” who is God.

There is also another option: to acknowledge the fact based on Jesus' words and the usage of 'God' in NT that the Father is the only true God and Yahweh of the OT. Than all the pieces come together: there are three divine beings:
1. Yahweh God the Father, the only true God
2. Jesus Christ, his Son and our Lord
3. The Holy Spirit

You see? One God and 3 persons of the same nature. Seems like all according to the Scriptures.
Again, that simply cannot be an option as it doesn’t address the root of the problem. To be “of the same nature” means that the Son and Holy Spirit must be God also; it cannot be any other way. This is one of the very reasons for the doctrine of the Trinity.

He is the only one who is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He alone created all that came into existence. He alone is necessary being, having always existed. He alone is perfectly holy, loving, and just. All those things, and more, belong to the nature of God alone. So, if the Son and the Holy Spirit share the same nature as the Father, and I agree that they do, it necessarily follows that they must also be truly God. It cannot be otherwise.

If they are each of the same nature but not a Trinity, then you only have polytheism or Modalism to try and account for three coequal persons with the same divine nature. But both of those positions directly contradict Scripture. That makes no pieces fit Scripture.

Free this works fine. The doctrine of the Trinity is just a logical construct and a way to reconcile seemingly mutually exclusive revelations:
1. There is only one true God
2. There are 3 divine persons

Trinitarians solve it by introducing some new god consisting of three persons. But that is against the scriptures, that is wrong. Throughout the whole scripture we only see these three: Yahweh, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. No one else divine except them.

But as I said there is also another way, which is fully based on scriptures. Your are saying 'There is only one God that has divine nature'. I know the basis for its first part but have difficulty with the second. What 'there is one who has divine nature' is based on? As I understand term 'God' is used as a title it doesn't necessarily describe nature.
It is a title but when we use it to refer to the one true God, Yahweh, it also speaks to his nature because he is the only one. Numerous times throughout Scripture we are told that Yahweh is the only true, living God. The rest of the gods are man-made idols, at best. So, when we use the title God, it is referring to Yahweh, unless additional context shows otherwise.

Even humans can be called gods, as you know.
Of course, as representatives of God, but they are not actual deity.

Jesus was also called 'God', if humans are under some conditions worthy then all the more he. But in the proper sense it belongs only to the Yahweh God, the Father. He is the only true God and this is fully according to the NT.
In the proper sense it does belong only to Yahweh, of course, but the point is that Jesus is also called God in the full and proper sense.

Jhn 20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” (ESV)

Title God doesn't belong to Jesus and what's wrong with that? That doesn't make him less divine.
But, it would make him less divine. There was, is, and ever will be only one God and it is only God who is deity, whose nature is divine. Everyone and everything else is necessarily less than.

So there are three divine, among whom the Father is the leader and God: Yahweh God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit acting like one not because they are one person
No one is saying they are one person. The doctrine of the Trinity is very careful in its language—three persons, one being that is God; three “whos,” one what; three “whos,” one substance. Not one person nor three Gods.

But, as I stated, if you reject the Trinity, your only options are polytheism or Modalism. Your position of simply stating “there are three divine” who are “coequal in nature” creates significant problems and doesn’t solve anything since you reject the Trinity.

but because of mutual love, obedience and faithfulness. This is what NT is about.
That is some of what it is about, yes.

Sorry for my poor English I'm not a native speaker.
No worries; it isn’t a problem.

No, that is not at all what I said. It is translated fine; it's a matter of understanding what is said.

Yet, 'el is translated as God 204 times in the OT, out of around the 240 times it is used. So, no, Eze 32:21 proves nothing of the sort, especially since the translation likely depends other things. For instance, in Isa 9:6, it is speaking in the singular, whereas Eze 32:21 is in the plural. There is much that goes into translation, including considering the multiple meanings that a lot of words have.
It says he will be "called" those things and then he was never called those things in the Bible. We must assume that position that Isaiah's prophecy didn't fail, but rather the translation is not good. I guess someone who wanted Jesus to be mighty God translated it so, but scriptural reality doesn't take into account feelings. "Mighty God" doesn't fit into any contexts in the Bible regarding Jesus.

It says he will be "called" those things and then he was never called those things in the Bible.
Which doesn’t matter since he fit those things.

We must assume that position that Isaiah's prophecy didn't fail, but rather the translation is not good.
No need to assume anything.

I guess someone who wanted Jesus to be mighty God translated it so, but scriptural reality doesn't take into account feelings. "Mighty God" doesn't fit into any contexts in the Bible regarding Jesus.
It fits numerous texts, not the least of which is Thomas calling Jesus “the Lord of me and the God of me.” And that comes at the end of John’s gospel which begins with his clear and direct claim that Jesus is God.

It fits numerous texts, not the least of which is Thomas calling Jesus “the Lord of me and the God of me.” And that comes at the end of John’s gospel which begins with his clear and direct claim that Jesus is God.
Thomas didn't call Jesus God. In John 20:17, Jesus said the God of his brothers is the Father. So when Jesus's brother Thomas said "my God" then he was referring to the Father.

Thomas didn't call Jesus God. In John 20:17, Jesus said the God of his brothers is the Father. So when Jesus's brother Thomas said "my God" then he was referring to the Father.
No. First, Jesus's statement in John 20:17 does not preclude him from also being God. This is evident from Jesus's numerous claims about himself and John's prologue which clearly shows that the preincarnate Christ was God in nature. Second, Jesus's encounter with Thomas was eight days later and has nothing to do with what happened eight days prior. Third, Thomas's statement to Jesus was based not only on seeing Jesus alive, but that Jesus repeated Thomas's previous statements back to him (made eight days earlier), even though Jesus had not been present at the time.

Fourth, Thomas was speaking to Jesus and only to Jesus. The Greek states, "Answered Thomas and said to him The Lord of me and the God of me."

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/20.htm

Fifth, this is a clear exclamation of Jesus's deity, by one of those close to him, at the end of John's gospel which began with John telling his readers that Jesus is the preincarnate Son, the Word, who entered time and took on human flesh. John bookmarked his gospel with showing his readers that Jesus is truly both God and man, and included many things in between that strongly implied it. Notice that there is somewhat of a progression to it. Sixth, parsing out "my God" as being spoken to the Father and, presumably, "my Lord" referring to Jesus is without basis. Either it is all to the Father or it is all to Jesus.

There is not only no reason to believe Thomas was speaking to the Father at any point, there is every reason, contextually and grammatically, to believe that Thomas called Jesus "the Lord of me and the God of me."

No. First, Jesus's statement in John 20:17 does not preclude him from also being God. This is evident from Jesus's numerous claims about himself and John's prologue which clearly shows that the preincarnate Christ was God in nature. Second, Jesus's encounter with Thomas was eight days later and has nothing to do with what happened eight days prior. Third, Thomas's statement to Jesus was based not only on seeing Jesus alive, but that Jesus repeated Thomas's previous statements back to him (made eight days earlier), even though Jesus had not been present at the time.
With something as important as who God is, we shouldn't try to find a way to make others God when Jesus explicitly said who his God and his brother's God is. In John 20:17 Jesus directly informed us who their God is; the Father.

Fourth, Thomas was speaking to Jesus and only to Jesus. The Greek states, "Answered Thomas and said to him The Lord of me and the God of me."

He didn't say "Jesus you are God" or something like that. Compare it to Matthew 16:16 where Peter directly said to Jesus "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

When Thomas said "my God" to Jesus, it doesn't require Jesus being the one Thomas is saying is his God. Just saying that doesn't really so who the God is. Your point is highly circumstantial, but not really supported by the context or the Bible.

Since the context is about the Father being Thomas' God then there isn't a reason to believe Thomas suddenly wasn't saying the Father is his God.

Fifth, this is a clear exclamation of Jesus's deity, by one of those close to him, at the end of John's gospel which began with John telling his readers that Jesus is the preincarnate Son, the Word, who entered time and took on human flesh. John bookmarked his gospel with showing his readers that Jesus is truly both God and man, and included many things in between that strongly implied it. Notice that there is somewhat of a progression to it. Sixth, parsing out "my God" as being spoken to the Father and, presumably, "my Lord" referring to Jesus is without basis. Either it is all to the Father or it is all to Jesus.

There is not only no reason to believe Thomas was speaking to the Father at any point, there is every reason, contextually and grammatically, to believe that Thomas called Jesus "the Lord of me and the God of me."
I disagree with that for the above reasons, but also think of how the more easy understanding of just saying "my God" would apply in every day conversation. Just talking to someone and them saying "my God" isn't the same thing as saying "You are God." I would be willing to bet that if this were put to the test in court that no lawyer would be able to prove Jesus is God just simply by those words alone.

Provided that Jesus said Thomas' God is the Father in John 20:17 then there is no reason to believe Jesus is also Thomas' God since Jesus never said that to Thomas according to Scripture.

With something as important as who God is, we shouldn't try to find a way to make others God
I completely agree. But, I would also say that with something as important as who God is, we shouldn't make him less than he is.

when Jesus explicitly said who his God and his brother's God is. In John 20:17 Jesus directly informed us who their God is; the Father.
Yet, that does not preclude Jesus from also being God.

He didn't say "Jesus you are God" or something like that.
Yes, actually he did: Joh 20:28 Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!" (NASB)

It clearly states that Thomas was answering Jesus "and said to Him." As I've pointed out before, the Greek is literally "The Lord of me and the God of me." That is what Thomas said to Jesus in answering him.

Compare it to Matthew 16:16 where Peter directly said to Jesus "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
Yes, that is what Peter said.

When Thomas said "my God" to Jesus, it doesn't require Jesus being the one Thomas is saying is his God.
It absolutely does. Contextually and grammatically, there can be no other than Jesus that Thomas is referring to as God.

Just saying that doesn't really so who the God is. Your point is highly circumstantial, but not really supported by the context or the Bible.
It is entirely supported by both.

Since the context is about the Father being Thomas' God then there isn't a reason to believe Thomas suddenly wasn't saying the Father is his God.
No, the Father isn't at all in the context of Thomas's and the disciples' encounters with the resurrected Christ in the locked room(s).

I disagree with that for the above reasons, but also think of how the more easy understanding of just saying "my God" would apply in every day conversation. Just talking to someone and them saying "my God" isn't the same thing as saying "You are God."
First, it would depend on the context, right? Second, again, Thomas's words as recorded in the Greek were "The Lord of me and the God of me." You might want to try looking it up for yourself:

I would be willing to bet that if this were put to the test in court that no lawyer would be able to prove Jesus is God just simply by those words alone.
It isn't just about those words alone and never has been. But those words certainly confirm that Thomas believed Jesus was his Lord and his God, and Jesus never argued against that and told Thomas that was blasphemy; because it wasn't.

Provided that Jesus said Thomas' God is the Father in John 20:17
Which, again, doesn't preclude Jesus from being God nor does it mean that the Father is meant in Thomas's exclamation.

then there is no reason to believe Jesus is also Thomas' God since Jesus never said that to Thomas according to Scripture.
Which is relevant, how? There is every reason to believe that Jesus is Thomas's (and our) God and that Thomas and the disciples believed that to be the case. The very fact that Jesus claimed to be the unique Son of God was a claim to be equal to the Father. Jesus very explicitly stated that he came from God, more than once, and the disciples also said they believed he came from God. Jesus's claims to preexistence are clear, as is John's claim that the Son has never not existed, both in his prologue and in recording Thomas's answer to Jesus. The entire NT supports this and nothing in the OT disagrees.

It absolutely does. Contextually and grammatically, there can be no other than Jesus that Thomas is referring to as God.

Not according to Jesus. He said that their God is the Father in John 20:17. That means that when Thomas said "my God" that he was referring to the Father. No one in the Bible believed Jesus is God. It's completely without precedent.

Not according to Jesus.
Yes, according to Jesus. There are a number of verses which I have put to you several times and you have yet to acknowledge, much less show how they are consistent with your position:

Joh 3:13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.

Joh 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Joh 5:23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

Joh 6:38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.

Joh 6:62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before?

Joh 8:23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
Joh 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

Joh 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

Joh 10:36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Joh 12:44 And Jesus cried out and said, “Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me.
Joh 12:45 And whoever sees me sees him who sent me.
Joh 12:46 I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.
Joh 12:47 If anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
Joh 12:48 The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.
Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak.

Joh 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God,

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
Joh 14:24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.

Joh 16:27 for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
Joh 16:28 I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father.”
Joh 16:29 His disciples said, “Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech!
Joh 16:30 Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God.”

Joh 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.
Joh 17:4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.
Joh 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
Joh 17:8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.
Joh 17:21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
Joh 17:24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

(All ESV.)

Jesus is unequivocal in his repeated assertion that he preexisted with the Father, came down from heaven, and was going to return to be with the Father, to his former state of glory. This is likely why John wrote what he did in his prologue, showing that Jesus was the preincarnate Word who became flesh. It is also why Thomas could legitimately say to Jesus that he was his Lord and his God without rebuke from Jesus. Rather, Jesus acknowledges that Thomas believes because he has seen him.

He said that their God is the Father in John 20:17.
Which, again, does not preclude Jesus himself from also being God. All the verses I gave above are just some of what John has said that must be taken into account as part of the context.

For the sake of argument, if God existed in three coequal persons and one of those divine persons came to earth and "became flesh and dwelt among us," what would you expect him to say about the other two persons who remain in heaven? How would you expect him to affirm monotheism while being in a lower state as a human and who willingly humbled himself in obedience to God for the salvation of humans? Should he be an atheist or never acknowledge the other two persons?

That means that when Thomas said "my God" that he was referring to the Father.
Again, the Father is not the one in view. Thomas directly answers the risen Christ, whom he is seeing for the first time, yet just repeated back to him his own arguments that were said when Jesus wasn’t there.

No one in the Bible believed Jesus is God.
John, Thomas, and Paul did, so it is reasonable to conclude all the disciples did, especially since they worshipped Jesus on several occasions.

It's completely without precedent.
Of course it’s without precedent; Jesus is and will be the only God, the only divine person, in human flesh.

Not according to Jesus. In John 20:17 Jesus had directly identified who his and his brothers' God is. Jesus said their God is the Father. After that, Thomas said "my God" so no reason to try to create a new god for Thomas especially when there is no evidence to the contrary. No one ever said Jesus is God in the Bible and Jesus never claimed to be God. All of the Biblical support is on my side.

Jesus said their God is the Father:

John 20​
17“Do not cling to Me,” Jesus said, “for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and tell My brothers, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, to My God and your God.’ ”
Thomas referred to his God the Father:

John 20​
28Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God!”
The God of Jesus is the Father. Therefore Jesus' disciples' God is the Father:

Ephesians 1​
17that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him.​

Not according to Jesus. In John 20:17 Jesus had directly identified who his and his brothers' God is. Jesus said their God is the Father. After that, Thomas said "my God" so no reason to try to create a new god for Thomas especially when there is no evidence to the contrary. No one ever said Jesus is God in the Bible and Jesus never claimed to be God. All of the Biblical support is on my side.

Jesus said their God is the Father:

John 20​
17“Do not cling to Me,” Jesus said, “for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and tell My brothers, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, to My God and your God.’ ”
Thomas referred to his God the Father:

John 20​
28Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God!”
The God of Jesus is the Father. Therefore Jesus' disciples' God is the Father:

Ephesians 1​
17that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in your knowledge of Him.​
See, you’re still ignoring vast amounts of evidence, some of which I gave above, even from Jesus’s own mouth, and significantly, John 1:1-18 and Phil 2:5-8. You leave all that unaddressed and continue to state the same arguments which have been adequately addressed. You also selectively choose from the context from the passage while ignoring the most immediate context, and grammar.

So, no, it doesn’t have anything to do with Thomas trying to “create a new god.” It has everything to do with Thomas acknowledging Jesus for who he truly is, based on Jesus’s own words.

See, you’re still ignoring vast amounts of evidence, some of which I gave above, even from Jesus’s own mouth, and significantly, John 1:1-18 and Phil 2:5-8. You leave all that unaddressed and continue to state the same arguments which have been adequately addressed. You also selectively choose from the context from the passage while ignoring the most immediate context, and grammar.

So, no, it doesn’t have anything to do with Thomas trying to “create a new god.” It has everything to do with Thomas acknowledging Jesus for who he truly is, based on Jesus’s own words.
Highly unlikely since we can actually test this. Since Jesus' hands and side had been impaled, there was probably some pretty bad looking wounds. Thomas looked at it and said "my God" not unlike someone would do even in the present day.

Imagine speaking to someone who had been mortally wounded and they not only were alive, but they were walking around unaided, apparently in no pain at all. That's what Jesus did after his resurrection. Thomas saw that and basically said "omg." When people say omg to someone they aren't calling that person God. That alone is enough to cast doubt on your interpretation.

Anyway, I doubt we are going to agree. I am just going to stick with what John 20:17,28 says about Thomas' God being the Father, personally.

No one in the Bible believed Jesus is God.
Jesus believed he is God . This is what he said . ARE ONE .

John10:30 I and my Father are one.

The Jews that were standing there understood completely what Jesus meant when he said it . They picked up stones because Jesus was claiming to be God which is blasphemy .

Runningman had you been there would you have picked up a stone ?

That often when Jesus speaks to the Father, “Father” is used as a name. It isn’t just another title used for Yahweh, it’s the name of a “person” who is God.
Ah no. 'The Father' is not the name, it's a role in the same way as 'the Son' is not a name. Jesus used to speak a lot about how different attributes were considered belonging to God only belong now to him because the Father passed them over to him. The authority to give life, forgive sins, judge and so on. So 'the Father' and 'the Son' are roles.
Again, that simply cannot be an option as it doesn’t address the root of the problem. To be “of the same nature” means that the Son and Holy Spirit must be God also; it cannot be any other way. This is one of the very reasons for the doctrine of the Trinity.
Trinity is just a concept, doctrine and not a person you can see somewhere in the Bible. Could you provide some references mentioning trinity saying or doing something? Please provide from NT because it shows the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and reveals their relations most clearly.
He is the only one who is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He alone created all that came into existence. He alone is necessary being, having always existed. He alone is perfectly holy, loving, and just. All those things, and more, belong to the nature of God alone. So, if the Son and the Holy Spirit share the same nature as the Father, and I agree that they do, it necessarily follows that they must also be truly God. It cannot be otherwise.
It cannot be otherwise, as you said, only for those believing in the trinity doctrine. This is simply your belief and interpretation and not something based on facts although you claim the opposite. But the reality and message of Jesus and all authors of NT is different. I can provide you plenty of clear references mentioning the Tree but are you able to provide just one mentioning that trinity?

Let's do the test, who do you see here:
Matthew 3
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John in order to be baptized by him.
14 But John tried to prevent[d] him, saying, “I need[e] to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 But Jesus answered and[f] said to him, “Permit it now, for in this way it is right for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he permitted him.
16 Now after he[g] was baptized, Jesus immediately went up from the water, and behold, the heavens opened[h] and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove coming[i] upon him.
17 And behold, there was[j] a voice from heaven saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

If NT text is not enough let's take what is considered as I understand to be the earliest creed, Apostles' one, as an evidence what early church used to believe in:

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended to the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

Do you see some trinity here? If trinitarianism is based on God's revelation, which is not, and it's necessary to believe in it, and no one can be saved without believing in it, so why it's not in the creed?

No, there are three omniscient, omnipotent.
No, God created everything not by himself but through Jesus.
No, all three where in the beginning.
No, all three are perfectly holy, loving, and just.

This is exactly what NT teaches.

If they are each of the same nature but not a Trinity, then you only have polytheism or Modalism to try and account for three coequal persons with the same divine nature. But both of those positions directly contradict Scripture. That makes no pieces fit Scripture.
You can label it whatever you want. Once more, who do you see here:

Matthew 3
13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John in order to be baptized by him.
14 But John tried to prevent[d] him, saying, “I need[e] to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 But Jesus answered and[f] said to him, “Permit it now, for in this way it is right for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he permitted him.
16 Now after he[g] was baptized, Jesus immediately went up from the water, and behold, the heavens opened[h] and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove coming[i] upon him.
17 And behold, there was[j] a voice from heaven saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

Or do you want me to provide all mentions of the Three: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?
Could you provide just one reference mentioning trinity directly?
It is a title but when we use it to refer to the one true God, Yahweh, it also speaks to his nature because he is the only one. Numerous times throughout Scripture we are told that Yahweh is the only true, living God. The rest of the gods are man-made idols, at best. So, when we use the title God, it is referring to Yahweh, unless additional context shows otherwise.
Sure. Yahweh is the Father's name and he is the only true God. And you are right, since he was the first one who revealed himself to us as opposite to all those man-made idols, so called gods, doctrines and concepts now all divine attributes are defined in relation to the Father. So when NT says the Word was God it means the Word was of the same nature as the Father, the only true God.
Of course, as representatives of God, but they are not actual deity.
Sure.
In the proper sense it does belong only to Yahweh, of course, but the point is that Jesus is also called God in the full and proper sense.

Jhn 20:28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” (ESV)
Yes, there's nothing wrong with that. If humans can be called that than even more he is worthy. He is God by nature and God by his deeds and authority.
But, it would make him less divine. There was, is, and ever will be only one God and it is only God who is deity, whose nature is divine. Everyone and everything else is necessarily less than.
No, there are three divine. Jesus was revealed to us as coequal to the Father in terms of nature.
No one is saying they are one person. The doctrine of the Trinity is very careful in its language—three persons, one being that is God; three “whos,” one what; three “whos,” one substance. Not one person nor three Gods.
You are saying there is only one being called God and use 'what' for him... or for it... But I don't care, glory to God I know the Three and has no need in any man-made doctrines.
But, as I stated, if you reject the Trinity, your only options are polytheism or Modalism. Your position of simply stating “there are three divine” who are “coequal in nature” creates significant problems and doesn’t solve anything since you reject the Trinity.
Glory to God I have the best possible option to simply believe in what was revealed to us. Throw out those labels they are just meant to prevent from seeing the true option. I will gladly and without any hesitation throw out everything for the sake of Truth because 'my position' is simply what NT says and I got no problems, I'm not a unitarian not believing Jesus is like God by nature or the Holy Spirit is a person. I need nothing except the Three.

But just for curiosity, what problems do you believe I have believing only in the Three?:)
That is some of what it is about, yes.
👍
No worries; it isn’t a problem.
👍

Last edited:

The Jews that were standing there understood completely what Jesus meant when he said it . They picked up stones because Jesus was claiming to be God which is blasphemy .

So as I understand you believe that the Father is God and Jesus is the Father?

So as I understand you believe that the Father is God and Jesus is the Father?
I believe what Jesus said , " I and my Father are one " .

Believing what Jesus has said has always worked for me :) .

John14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Bring one with God has nothing to do with being God. Obviously the protagonists of Jesus aren’t a good guide and shouldn’t be used for sound doctrine. Jesus said that the oneness had with God he also wanted he disciples to have with each other and himself and God. Bottom line, Jesus said the disciples can be one with God too.

I would have been joining Jesus. How about you?

John 17
20I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Ah no. 'The Father' is not the name, it's a role in the same way as 'the Son' is not a name. Jesus used to speak a lot about how different attributes were considered belonging to God only belong now to him because the Father passed them over to him. The authority to give life, forgive sins, judge and so on. So 'the Father' and 'the Son' are roles.
"Father" is used in Scripture as a proper name for God.

Trinity is just a concept, doctrine and not a person you can see somewhere in the Bible. Could you provide some references mentioning trinity saying or doing something? Please provide from NT because it shows the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit and reveals their relations most clearly.

It cannot be otherwise, as you said, only for those believing in the trinity doctrine. This is simply your belief and interpretation and not something based on facts although you claim the opposite.
On the contrary, based on what God himself says--that he is the only God--it is the only logical conclusion if one claims that the Son and the Holy Spirit have the same nature as the Father, as you have done. There is only one God, which means that there is only one being with the nature of God. For any other to share in the nature of God necessarily means they are also God.

But the reality and message of Jesus and all authors of NT is different. I can provide you plenty of clear references mentioning the Tree but are you able to provide just one mentioning that trinity?
"Tree"? Did you mean "Three"? Any that mention "the Three" are mentioning the Trinity. The fact that the three are mentioned and kept consistently distinct one from the other, yet each given the attributes of God, can only be made sense of by the doctrine of the Trinity.

Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (ESV)

Note that "name" is singular but consists of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Note what M. R. Vincent states regarding this verse:

'The name, as in the Lord's Prayer (“Hallowed be thy name”), is the expression of the sum total of the divine Being: not his designation as God or Lord, but the formula in which all his attributes and characteristics are summed up. It is equivalent to his person. The finite mind can deal with him only through his name; but his name is of no avail detached from his nature.' (Word Studies in the New Testament)

Also (in addition to Jesus's baptism):

1Pe 1:2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you. (ESV)

Matthew 3
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, who all are the same name.

If NT text is not enough let's take what is considered as I understand to be the earliest creed, Apostles' one, as an evidence what early church used to believe in:

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended to the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

Do you see some trinity here? If trinitarianism is based on God's revelation, which is not, and it's necessary to believe in it, and no one can be saved without believing in it, so why it's not in the creed?

No, there are three omniscient, omnipotent.
No, God created everything not by himself but through Jesus.
No, all three where in the beginning.
No, all three are perfectly holy, loving, and just.

This is exactly what NT teaches.
Of course it does; that is not in dispute. The main problem is that there was, is, and ever will be only one being that is God. To have three who share the same nature, as you have correctly shown, but then deny they are the together the one true God, is to believe in the heresy of tritheism. Monotheism is absolutely fundamental to who God is.

Deu 4:35 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him.

Deu 4:39 Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Deu 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (ESV)

Mar 12:29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Mar 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
Mar 12:31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mar 12:32 And the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. (ESV)

You can label it whatever you want. Once more, who do you see here:

Matthew 3

Or do you want me to provide all mentions of the Three: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?
Could you provide just one reference mentioning trinity directly?
Again, not only is nothing above in disagreement with the doctrine of the Trinity, that passage is precisely one of the reasons the doctrine exists. It shows all three divine persons, distinct one from the other, as the doctrine of the Trinity states.

Sure. Yahweh is the Father's name and he is the only true God.
Please provide just one verse that says Yahweh is only the Father's name. And, try and do so without making a circular argument.

Back