Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Time in eternity

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Whatever

I always thought about this, but I cannot imagine living anywhere without a past, present and future.
I mean, you are in heaven walking on the beach. Can you look behind you and see the tracks you left? If so, those tracks are in the past. They exist. You are standing in the present and your next steps you haven't taken yet are still in the future.

Same thing with talking with somebody. You have to use words one after the other. One word comes first then the next one comes second and so forth.

I know there probably wont be years or months and weeks, but when you are walking on that beach and run into an old friend, and you want to meet them later, what do you say? I'll see you at noon tomorrow? There would have to be some way of telling them since we probably won't have tomorrow's or hours.

But our lives would have to be going on in some kind of linear sense.

Time was created by God to have application to the fallen creation only .
It has no application to God Himself.
This one fact speaks to how absolutely different we will be in heaven , because we are told that we will be like Him when we see Him.
We cannot conceive in our present decaying state what awaits us .

1Co 2:9
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

1 Corinthians 13:8-13 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

When I am face to face with God, I will not care about time. When you are in the most perfect moment, you think about nothing else and that is how heaven is. :wink

I always thought about this, but I cannot imagine living anywhere without a past, present and future.
I mean, you are in heaven walking on the beach. Can you look behind you and see the tracks you left? If so, those tracks are in the past. They exist. You are standing in the present and your next steps you haven't taken yet are still in the future.

Same thing with talking with somebody. You have to use words one after the other. One word comes first then the next one comes second and so forth.

I know there probably wont be years or months and weeks, but when you are walking on that beach and run into an old friend, and you want to meet them later, what do you say? I'll see you at noon tomorrow? There would have to be some way of telling them since we probably won't have tomorrow's or hours.

Hi Whatever

Well, if the new earth is spinning just as the old earth is doing, time will pass.

God bless,
Ted

Whether the passage of time is the same rate in heaven as on earth I would surmise it would be relative or normal to those in heaven.

We do read of those who are shown to experience the passage of time in heaven with God. Which suggests God has chosen to exist in the passage of time with His children.

When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” 11Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, were killed just as they had been.

Isn't this a great thing about God ! God knows the answers to all the questions you have here and when we are there with Him we will know too .

Well, if the new earth is spinning just as the old earth is doing, time will pass.
It has nothing to do with the Earth spinning. Here is a definition:
Time is the continued sequence of existence and events that occurs in an apparently irreversible succession from the past, through the present, and into the future.

Even if you are in a space suit equipped with 100 hours of air, and you are floating in outer space, your mind is still thinking in a linear sense - one thought, then another, then another. To me that takes time.

It appears that God must work this way. God has always existed. We know the heavens and Earth have not always existed, so He did something "create heaven and Earth" that He never did before. He is going to create new heavens and new Earth sometime in the future. It hasn't happened yet. God makes promises that come true later.

This does not depend upon planets spinning or moving past each other.

When I am face to face with God, I will not care about time. When you are in the most perfect moment, you think about nothing else and that is how heaven is.
We will work in heaven, not lay around in a deep sleep bonked out in some hippie utopia. We will do things.

Luk 19:17 And he said to him, 'Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.'

Luk 22:29 And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me,
Luk 22:30 that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Apparently we will have cities to live in with governors over them.

We will work in heaven, not lay around in a deep sleep bonked out in some hippie utopia. We will do things.

Luk 19:17 And he said to him, 'Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.'

Luk 22:29 And I bestow upon you a kingdom, just as My Father bestowed one upon Me,
Luk 22:30 that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Apparently we will have cities to live in with governors over them.
Sorry you got that from what I said. You can being doing stuff in a perfect moment, not just staring off into space as you said in a hippie utopia....

Whatever

In the New Jerusalem the will be no past, present or future as we see here on earth, but only that of eternal life with the Father. No one who has ever died have ascended up to heaven.

When those who are Christ own have died and those who are alive at the coming of Christ on the last day will be caught up to meet Christ in the air and there is no more remembrance of the past or the present as there is no more thought or emotions when one dies. We are not raised with this flesh and blood body, but will be changed as given a new Spiritual glorified body that no one knows what it will look like, but that we will look like Christ in His glorified body. No more flesh and blood as neither one can receive the Kingdom of God. Our future is that of eternal life with the Father as described in, Rev 21:9-27; 22:1-5 that we need to be looking to.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

1Cor 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
1Cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Cor 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
1Cor 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1Thess 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
1Thess 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
1Thess 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Thess 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Thess 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1Thess 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

In the New Jerusalem the will be no past, present or future as we see here on earth
I accept that there will not be years, months and weeks or maybe even days. But if you are sitting down and get up to walk outside, that is time. You have to go from sitting to standing and then take steps, one step after another. Once you are outside, your sitting in the house is in the past.

If you throw a frisbee at somebody to catch, it takes time for it to get there. Once you throw it, you having thrown it is in the past. While it is flying in the air, the other person catching it is still future until he catches it.

If you are just talking to somebody, you have to say one word after the other.

I accept that there will not be years, months and weeks or maybe even days. But if you are sitting down and get up to walk outside, that is time. You have to go from sitting to standing and then take steps, one step after another. Once you are outside, your sitting in the house is in the past.

If you throw a frisbee at somebody to catch, it takes time for it to get there. Once you throw it, you having thrown it is in the past. While it is flying in the air, the other person catching it is still future until he catches it.

If you are just talking to somebody, you have to say one word after the other.
I'm sorry as I was trying to compare earth past and present with that of eternal life that has no end in the New Jerusalem. I will bow out and you have a good night.

Last edited:
I'm sorry as I was trying to compare earth past and present with that of eternal life that has no end in the New Jerusalem.
I was doing the same thing. In the New Jerusalem, you will still have to do things one after the other. Just walking down that street of gold, will take you "time" to get from one end to the other.

The World English Dictionary defines time as "the continuous passage of existence in which events pass from a state of potentiality in the future, through the present, to a state of finality in the past."

Heaven or the New Jerusalem will be a continuous state of existence. Again, like walking down that street of gold, your steps will be one after the other. This one first, this one second, this one third. When you are on the third step, the first and second are past. The fourth is still future until you actually take it.

Yes I know, there is no sun, moon and the Earth might not be moving or spinning. But each of us will be doing things. Again, doing things means one thing after another. Doing 100 push ups in the New Jerusalem will take time unless you can think of a better word. Your buddy will be standing there counting for you 1, 2, 3, 4 and so forth. The 100th push up is still in the future till you actually do it, and after you have done those 100, all of them are in the past.

I was doing the same thing. In the New Jerusalem, you will still have to do things one after the other. Just walking down that street of gold, will take you "time" to get from one end to the other.

The World English Dictionary defines time as "the continuous passage of existence in which events pass from a state of potentiality in the future, through the present, to a state of finality in the past."

Heaven or the New Jerusalem will be a continuous state of existence. Again, like walking down that street of gold, your steps will be one after the other. This one first, this one second, this one third. When you are on the third step, the first and second are past. The fourth is still future until you actually take it.

Yes I know, there is no sun, moon and the Earth might not be moving or spinning. But each of us will be doing things. Again, doing things means one thing after another. Doing 100 push ups in the New Jerusalem will take time unless you can think of a better word. Your buddy will be standing there counting for you 1, 2, 3, 4 and so forth. The 100th push up is still in the future till you actually do it, and after you have done those 100, all of them are in the past.
I can't even imagine what it will be like in the New Jerusalem in any sense of us working or what we will be doing. Guess we will just have to wait for that glorious union with Christ.

Now would be good come quickly Lord Jesus :woot2:sohappy

Back