Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study To anoint the most Holy

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

miamited

Hi all,
This morning our pastor/teacher read from the account of Jesus' interaction with a woman that is found in the 26th chapter of Matthew. Now, in my copy of the Scriptures, there are little title headings at various parts of the Scriptures. This one is titled, "Jesus anointed at Bethany". The pastor used it to discuss the great sacrifice that she had made and all the money that the spikenard had cost. We are currently in a capitol campaign to raise money for a new youth building. And the passage does describe for us that this woman had used an oil that would have been worth a year's salary. However, I contend that this passage is a lot more than the sacrificial offering. This passage is a fulfillment of prophecy!!

In Daniel, chapter 9, we find this:

“Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy".
... and to anoint the Most Holy Place. There was a 400 year intertestamental period in which we have absolutely no prophets speaking for God. We have nothing in the whole of the Scriptures that happened in this 400 year period. However, one of the things that did happen in this period was that the Jews canonized their old covenant Scriptures. They sealed up the visions and prophecies that God had them record since His bringing them out of Egypt. But then this lone woman, of whom no one knows her name, anointed his body. She was, however, one of Daniel's people. The death of Jesus, that was about to happen, accomplished all the rest. His death put an end to sin, for the believer. His death, as I think nearly everyone agrees made an atonement for our wickedness. His resurrection brought in everlasting righteousness.
What I know is that God's will cannot be thwarted when He steps in to accomplish something among us. God's angel told Daniel that within the span of this 70 sevens, all of these things would be accomplished by God's people. Who were also Daniel's people as far as being of his Jewish heritage. And depending on the translation that you use, this passage ends with either the simple phrase "most Holy", or some have added the word 'place'. The most Holy place. Surprisingly, the GW translation actually translates it as "the Most Holy One". I suppose that may be why some miss it. They're looking for a place rather than a person, to be anointed.
God's word is true and He will do what He has established to do. God caused this woman to come into this meal where Jesus was seated just prior to his death and she anointed him in keeping with what God had told Daniel would happen.

Then my translation moves right into Jesus being betrayed by Judas for the agreed sum of 30 pieces of silver. Another of the prophecies that God had written to us. All of these prophecies fulfilled so that we would know that this man Jesus was the Messiah that Israel had been waiting for. But as Jesus said to them,
“If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes." God did with Israel pretty much what He had done with Pharoah of Egypt. He turned their hearts away.

But that woman, she was a puppet in the hands of our mighty God to accomplish what God had told Daniel, through His angel Gabriel some 500 years earler.

God bless,
Ted

It was very important that the oil used to anoint a king be of a very specific blend, and none other used.

I’m wondering if the spikenard was of this same blend.
I’m also wondering if the anointing Jesus received referred to no specific oil at all, but the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
If the anointing of the Most Holy refers to the time when Jesus was anointed with the spikenard, and that be the end of what was to be accomplished, according to Daniel, it would mean that the things to precede that anointing had already been accomplished.
I don’t think his death had already been accomplished. Because it required his death to accomplish what preceded the anointing.

If the anointing of the Most Holy refers to the time when Jesus was anointed with the spikenard, and that be the end of what was to be accomplished, according to Daniel, it would mean that the things to precede that anointing had already been accomplished.
I don’t think his death had already been accomplished. Because it required his death to accomplish what preceded the anointing.
Hi LeviR

And why would that be? I see it as just a list of things for Israel to accomplish. I'm not sure we can take with any known assurance that they had to be done in some particular order. One of the ways in which God's prophecies can be difficult for some to see is that they are written in a manner that isn't always as we 'expect' them to be written. But, discounting that the list had to be completed in order, yes, the Jews putting Jesus to death accomplished all that Gabriel told Daniel that they had to do. Do you believe that the Jews failed God in this?

God bless,
Ted

Hi LeviR

And why would that be? I see it as just a list of things for Israel to accomplish. I'm not sure we can take with any known assurance that they had to be done in some particular order. One of the ways in which God's prophecies can be difficult for some to see is that they are written in a manner that isn't always as we 'expect' them to be written. But, discounting that the list had to be completed in order, yes, the Jews putting Jesus to death accomplished all that Gabriel told Daniel that they had to do. Do you believe that the Jews failed God in this?

God bless,
Ted
I don’t think the prophecy is in a random order. I believe it’s in a specific order for a reason. And that reason is to inform those of the events as they are specifically to take place.
The 70 weeks could not have been fulfilled if the anointing of the Most Holy referred to when Jesus was anointed with the spikenard.
That’s what I think. But you are free to think what you will.

Although Jesus had been previously anointed as king by the anointing of the Holy Spirt, his role as king has not yet been appointed. That actually comes during the final week, or 7 years. When he does in fact become ruler of God’s kingdom.

All the things noted by Daniel prior to the anointing have already been fulfilled.

Jesus has been anointed as prophet, priest and king.

The prophecy of Jesus came after he had accomplished the first 5 things referred to in the 70 weeks. His prophecy is recorded in the book of Revelation.
He became a priest after the order of Melchizedek, whereby the lesser(Abraham)serves the greater.
But when did he become the king of all the earth?
Not yet.
Therefore, the anointing refers to the anointing as king whereby Jesus and his royal priesthood of immortal saints will rule with him.
That comes after his time as Judge who will bring God’s judgments upon His people and the nations is fulfilled.
when the new heavens and earth are established as Christ as King of all.

But that woman, she was a puppet in the hands of our mighty God to accomplish what God had told Daniel, through His angel Gabriel some 500 years earler.

God is far greater than a mere Puppet Master. He is so powerful, so wise, that He didn't have to make a puppet out of the weeping woman in order to move her to do what she did. He is able, being so incredible, to achieve His will amidst all the free choices we make. It's the weak and inept who need to meticulously control everything in order to accomplish their goals. This isn't God.

God is far greater than a mere Puppet Master. He is so powerful, so wise, that He didn't have to make a puppet out of the weeping woman in order to move her to do what she did. He is able, being so incredible, to achieve His will amidst all the free choices we make. It's the weak and inept who need to meticulously control everything in order to accomplish their goals. This isn't God.
Hi Tenchi

I wasn't trying to use the term 'puppet master' in any derogatory sense. God raised up the nation of Israel to do His bidding. Throughout the old covenant we find where, while the general population was just as wicked towards God as we are today, there were times and specific people that were doing His bidding among His people. But God did say:

“Remember this, keep it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels. Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’ From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.
Here is God telling Isaiah that He summoned a 'bird of prey' to fulfill His purpose. I contend that that woman anointed Jesus to fulfill His purpose, which was: And to anoint the Most Holy.
However it is that God 'makes' people do His will, that's exactly what He did through this woman. Just as it was His will to harden Pharoah's heart and He did. It was His will to raise up Nebuchadnezzar as a discipline for Israel for their continued faithlessness. It was His will, through the Spirit we are told, that God sent Phillip to talk to the eunuch. I mean Phillip had no idea that there even was a eunuch traveling along that road. The Scriptures tell us that he was actually taken to that place by the Spirit.

Anointing Jesus, the Holy One, spoken of in Daniel's prophecy, was something that had to be accomplished according to God's written will. That woman accomplished that task.

So please, don't read that as I'm saying it was a bad thing. And I think you should really revisit your understanding that: It's the weak and inept who need to meticulously control everything in order to accomplish their goals. This isn't God.

I'm sorry, and I'm guessing you're not going to agree, but yes it is exactly how God operated in many, many, many events in the old covenant. Don't allow your distaste of the phrase 'puppet master' turn you away from the knowledge that the Scriptures are replete with examples of God's hand actually overseeing and managing some of the things that people have done on the earth. Especially as applies to His will be done.

God bless,
Ted

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back