Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tongues

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Patience7

Paul in the last verse of I Cor.12 also refers to them as "gifts".

Yes, you are correct. Verses 7-11 is speaking of the manifestations which are a result of the gift of Holy Spirit given to each born again believer. (Acts 2:38)

All these manifestations of the Spirit work together for the edifying of the church as the body of Christ.

Each member of the body work together from the least to the greatest and each has a function. (v12-27)

Is each member an apostle, teacher or does each member work miracles - operate gifts of healing? Does each member speak with tongues, or does each member interpret? No - Does each have the ability - Yes; but it all depends on what the church needs at any given time.

All things mentioned in Ch. 12 if not done with charity is empty and vain (Ch 13). Charity is love (agape) and its the same love that God manifest towards those that love him. The same love that we have the capability of having via the holy Spirit within us.

Then ask Jesus if praying in tongues is something He wants you to do.
He gave it to me in prayer.
Tounges is only a problem if you practice Churchianity instead of Christianity.
You see denominations we enter into fill our minds with preconceived ideas and often block our ability to receive spiritual gifts.

I was christian brethren which blocked lot of stuff. changing to baptist helped open my eyes a bit.

One night reading the bible I read about tongues as I had many times before. This night many years ago I sat by myself out in the sun room of my house, I decided at 10 pm I was going to study the references to tongues in the bible and once and for all petition the lord about if it was for me. I felt a compulsion to do this.

It took me over 2 and a half hours of prayer and reading the bible to come to the conclusion it seems to be a thing Jesus wants for a believer and there was no reason it should not be given to me.

about 1 am something fell on me from God and filled me like a fulling of the holy spirit and I rec3ieved this gift.. alone. yeah its real. there was no hype or expectation, just me and god and prayer.

Luke 11
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Ez
ekiel 36:26
And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
about 1 am something fell on me from God and filled me like a fulling of the holy spirit and I rec3ieved this gift.. alone. yeah its real. there was no hype or expectation, just me and god and prayer.

Right-on!

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

Right-on!

Thats when you are reminded you worship and interact with a living god :)

I often wonder if guys fall away and give up on Christianity if their only experience with god is the good feeling of original conversion. Later infillings of the holy spirit are good reminders too as we go along our walk with Jesus

Another prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled is the speaking of true tongues,Im not talking about the babble that's going on today in some churches,rather as per the below scriptures.......

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."

Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"

We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.

Acts 2:17"And it shall come to pass in the last days,' saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams:"

When the sons and daughter speak, it will be heard in every language and dialect in the world. This will not come from the mind of those people, but those people shall be willing witnesses that allow God to speak directly through them to the people. Thus the true gospel of Christ will be spoken.

So my question is,when was true tongues spoken again after pentecost???Let me answer,it hasn't........

I don’t see a lot of purpose in speaking in tongues, unless someone is there to interpret and benefit by the message being spoken.

People speak of being edified by praying in tongues, but I don’t see why praying in tongues is necessary for that. I have prayed in English all my life. Actually, I don't know if a person needs to speak in any language to speak to the Lord. Do our thoughts always need to be put into words?

He gave it to me in prayer.

And Who did you ask? Jesus? The Father? Or did you ask the Holy Spirit directly?

One night reading the bible I read about tongues as I had many times before. This night many years ago I sat by myself out in the sun room of my house, I decided at 10 pm I was going to study the references to tongues in the bible and once and for all petition the lord about if it was for me. I felt a compulsion to do this.

From whence does this compulsion or motivation comes from? Not from scriptures when Paul was exhorting believers that out of all spiritual gifts to seek after, Paul exhorted the gift of prophesy, and he did it by even exhorting the gift of prophesy over the gift of tongues and explained why between the two thruout the entire chapter why the gift of prophesy was the gift to seek: so there is no motivation from scripture to prompt believers to seek the gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14 KJV - Follow after charity and desire - Bible Gateway

It took me over 2 and a half hours of prayer and reading the bible to come to the conclusion it seems to be a thing Jesus wants for a believer and there was no reason it should not be given to me.

If Jesus wants every believer to have tongues then why did Paul say this?

1 Corinthians 12:29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Then Paul went into the love chapter of 1 Corinthians 13.

about 1 am something fell on me from God and filled me like a fulling of the holy spirit and I recieved this gift.. alone. yeah its real. there was no hype or expectation, just me and god and prayer.

Wait a minute: praying to receive tongues is an expectation. And since there are no scriptural reference in motivating believers in seeking tongues but the gift of prophesy: I consider that hype is the origin of this seeking tongues compulsion.

I have no doubt that what you had experienced is real: but there is no scriptural reference for doing what you did when the gift of prophesy was the one you should have been asking for from Jesus Christ. And no: you do not need to have an experience of something coming over you and filling you to get it.

Luke 11
9 “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. 11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[f] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

That's the thing: believers were warned to not believe every spirit, and what I am hearing is going against scripture above when believers seek after a sign which happens to be tongues that comes with no interpretation and again by an apostate teaching of receiving the Holy Spirit again. Your testimony is not foreign as many will testify of having that self same experience, prompting others to seek the same, as well as other signs and lying wonders by what they perceive is receiving the Holy Spirit again, but guess what?

Your scriptural reference refutes that: to believe what you had said would go against scripture because by asking to receive the Holy Spirit again is akin to testifying that God the Father did not give you the Holy Spirit in the first place
when you were saved when you came "knocking at the door of Jesus Christ" to believe in Him.

I see believers preaching to receive another spirit by seeking after a sign: thus making as if God went against His word in that people can now say that He gave them a stone instead of bread or a serpent instead of fish because they are asking to receive the Holy Spirit "again" and after a sign too.

This is a reminder that signs follow believers: believers are not to follow after signs: tongues are signs for unbelievers: tongues are not for serving the individual believer: but for the edifying of the body of Christ as all manifestations are to profit the body withal which means God's gift of tongues would never manifest to an individual believer only to edify oneself when Paul just got through saying that it is unfruitful to even himself that it needed interpretation as the tongues in 1 Corinthians 14:2 is the same tongue thruout the chapter as being of other men's lips.

1 Corinthians 14:20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

And Who did you ask? Jesus? The Father? Or did you ask the Holy Spirit directly?

From whence does this compulsion or motivation comes from? Not from scriptures when Paul was exhorting believers that out of all spiritual gifts to seek after, Paul exhorted the gift of prophesy, and he did it by even exhorting the gift of prophesy over the gift of tongues and explained why between the two thruout the entire chapter why the gift of prophesy was the gift to seek: so there is no motivation from scripture to prompt believers to seek the gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14 KJV - Follow after charity and desire - Bible Gateway

If Jesus wants every believer to have tongues then why did Paul say this?

1 Corinthians 12:29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 31But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Then Paul went into the love chapter of 1 Corinthians 13.

Wait a minute: praying to receive tongues is an expectation. And since there are no scriptural reference in motivating believers in seeking tongues but the gift of prophesy: I consider that hype is the origin of this seeking tongues compulsion.

I have no doubt that what you had experienced is real: but there is no scriptural reference for doing what you did when the gift of prophesy was the one you should have been asking for from Jesus Christ. And no: you do not need to have an experience of something coming over you and filling you to get it.

That's the thing: believers were warned to not believe every spirit, and what I am hearing is going against scripture above when believers seek after a sign which happens to be tongues that comes with no interpretation and again by an apostate teaching of receiving the Holy Spirit again. Your testimony is not foreign as many will testify of having that self same experience, prompting others to seek the same, as well as other signs and lying wonders by what they perceive is receiving the Holy Spirit again, but guess what?

Your scriptural reference refutes that: to believe what you had said would go against scripture because by asking to receive the Holy Spirit again is akin to testifying that God the Father did not give you the Holy Spirit in the first place
when you were saved when you came "knocking at the door of Jesus Christ" to believe in Him.

I see believers preaching to receive another spirit by seeking after a sign: thus making as if God went against His word in that people can now say that He gave them a stone instead of bread or a serpent instead of fish because they are asking to receive the Holy Spirit "again" and after a sign too.

This is a reminder that signs follow believers: believers are not to follow after signs: tongues are signs for unbelievers: tongues are not for serving the individual believer: but for the edifying of the body of Christ as all manifestations are to profit the body withal which means God's gift of tongues would never
so you declare tongues is worthless? I have heard all this before and its people like you that are the stumbling block for belevers entering into spiritual gifting. You really tried to rip my story i shared here apart and tried to discredit my experience with bible verses. the lord let me experience something really cool.
If your experience is not like ours dont spoil it for others.

There is absoluteley nothing wrong with seeking ANY of the spiritual gifts. It us up to the lord which gifts he gives who, the holy spirit equips us as necessary.

Dont spoil it for people.... You haven't got it all worked out...none of us have!

wouldnt it be better to encourage believers to engage in seeking any gifts from the holy spirit? No gifts of the holy spirit are wrong!

We attended many meetings where glossolalia both occurred and was interpreted, and noted that the interpretations were usually of a very general nature. After a segment of tongue-speech, an interpreter commonly offered the explanation that the speaker had been thanking and praising God for many blessings. Another frequent theme was that the speaker was asking for strength and guidance for himself and others.

However, perhaps a third of the time, the interpreter offered specific interpretations of what glossolalists said. More rarely, an interpreter 'translated,' phrase by phrase and sentence by sentence. In order to investigate the accuracy of these interpretations, we undertook to play a taped example of tongue-speech privately for several different interpreters of tongues. In no instance was there any similarity in the several interpretations. The following typifies our results: One interpreter said the tongue-speaker was praying for the health of his children; another that the same tongue-speech was an expression of gratitude to God for a recently successful church fund-raising effort.

When confronted with the disparity between their interpretations, the interpreter offered the explanation that God gave to one person one interpretation of the speech and to another person another interpretation. They showed no defensiveness about being cross-examined and generously upheld alternative interpretations as equally valid...

We know of a man who was raised in Africa, the son of missionary parents, who decided—rather cynically perhaps—to test the interpretation of tongues. At the appropriate moment, he rose and spoke the Lord's prayer in the African dialect he had learned in his youth. When he sat down, an interpreter of tongues at once offered the meaning of what he said. He interpreted it as a message of the imminent second coming of Christ. (Kildahl, op. cit., pages 62,63)

Interesting.....

You can call it whatever you want,but the so called tongues of today is not of God,not yet anyway!!!

All who believe the Bible are aware there were those in the early church who had the ability to speak in tongues, that is, languages they had not learned (I Corinthians 12:28). From the 16th chapter of Mark we learn that the ability to speak in tongues was a sign promised by Jesus to His disciples after giving them what has come to be known as “The Great Commission.†Notice, if you will, that these apostles were commanded to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Understandably, the gift of tongues was a very powerful sign to all who heard these unlearned Galileans speaking to them in their own native languages.

What more powerful or convincing demonstration could have been given than on the Day of Pentecost when men from all nations heard the apostles preaching to them the gospel of Jesus Christ in their own native tongues? So powerful was the demonstration, the Scripture says: “they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, behold are not all these Galileans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?†(Acts 2:7-8)
The purpose of signs is revealed by the disciples response to the great commission:

http://www.allanturner.com/tongues02.html

1. The Bible never teaches anything about talking in gibberish to yourself or to others. In fact Bible says that if nobody can interpret the tongues, then to stay silent! "If there be no interpreter, let him keep silence." So a room full of people talking in gibberish tongues where nobody can understand them or interpret them is going against Scripture.

2. Did Jesus and Disciples talk in gibberish tongues for all to see and hear? NO!

3. Did an angel ever appear that began talking in gibberish tongues to people where nobody could understand them? NO!

4. What is the purpose of the gift of tongues? To lead people to Jesus or for self-edification? Lead people to Jesus!

5. Do you accept this verse? 1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers...

6. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift according to Bible, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of people who are ALL speaking tongues is not biblical!

7. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages.

8. The gifts were never given as a purpose to work a change in the person's life. They are, rather, the work of the Spirit through him for the instruction and salvation of others. This is not being served in the tongues movement.

9. Do you believe that a person is not born of the Holy Spirit unless they talk in tongues? yes or no?

Let us take a close look at 1 Corinthians 14, in which the tongues problem is brought into focus. Over half of the verses in this chapter mention the words edify, understanding, learning, or teach. It is obvious that the Corinthian church was not using the gift as it was supposed to be used. Over and over Paul urged that tongues be used only to teach the barbarian, unbeliever, or unlearned. Apparently some were creating great confusion by speaking any foreign language they knew, even while others were talking, and also when no one present could understand the language they spoke.

The burden of the entire chapter is that no one use the gift of tongues except to edify someone who could not be reached otherwise. Interpreting of tongues was also to be utilized only for instructing those who could not understand without a translation.

1Cor 14:
Verse 4, "edifieth the church."
Verse 5, "except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying."
Verse 6, "except I shall speak to you ... by knowledge."
Verse 7, "except they give a dis-tinction in the sounds ..."
Verse 8, "if the trumpet give an uncertain sound ..."
Verse 9, "except ye utter ... words easy to be understood."
Verse 11, "if I know not the meaning of the voice ..."
Verse 12, "seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church."
Verse 13, "pray that he may interpret."
Verse 14, "my understanding is unfruitful."
Verse 15, "Pray with the under- standing ..."
Verse 16, "seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest."
Verse 17, "the other is not edified."
Verse 19, "that I might teach others."
Verse 20, "be not children in understanding."
Verse 22, "tongues are for a sign ... to them that believe not."
Verse 23, "unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?"
Verse 26, "Let all things be done unto edifying."
Verse 27, "And let one interpret."
Verse 28, "If there be no interpreter, let him keep silence."
Verse 30, "Let the first hold his peace."
Verse 31, "that all may learn ..."
Verse 33, "For God is not the author of confusion."
Verse 34, "Let your women keep silence."
Verse 35, "if they will learn anything ..."
Verse 40, "Let all things be done decently and in order."

Those who read this chapter of 1cor 14 for the purpose of finding ecstatic utterance can locate a couple of verses which seem to gave them support. But when those verses are studied in the context of all the rest of the chapter, and with an actual foreign known language in mind, they all can be seen to harmonize. Paul's discourse here is built around his contention that "tongues are a sign ... to them that believe not." Verse 22.

Why would the Holy Spirit seek to enlighten or instruct someone in truth by going through all the process of a strange tongue and translation when the listener could understand plain English to begin with? If the gift of tongues is for edifying the unbeliever, how perverse it seems just to talk among believers in a garble of words whose meaning must depend on the absolute veracity of another believer, whose "interpretation" provides no objective test for accuracy.

Be very careful folks! This unknown/gibberish tongues is not a true gift from God. Be very careful as when you speak in unknown tongues you could be CURSING God and not knowing it.

Tongues- if yu are given the gift you understand, if you are not you argue or wonder what it would be like! the ones I feel sorry for with any spiritual gifts are the ones who believe as non first Christians that gifts of the spirit stopped after the first Christians. They get ripped off badly. They do it to themselves!

Its because they listen to other people. new christians do this stuff naturally..until someone tells them its not for them.

"Apparently some were creating great confusion by speaking any foreign language they knew, even while others were talking, and also when no one present could understand the language they spoke."

Interesting interpretation.

So, you think that in the middle of a Corinth church service someone would stand up and start speaking some edifying words in whatever foreign language he happened to know? Knowing that nobody knew the language?

I know the church may have had some issues, but how dense do you think they were?

"Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages.

I missed that one, enlighten me on Acts 19:6.

"I don’t see a lot of purpose in speaking in tongues . . ."

"People speak of being edified by praying in tongues, but I don’t see why praying in tongues is necessary for that . . ."

Perhaps it's because of Jude 20,21 (not "with" but "in") or Romans 8:26,27 (we do NOT know what we should pray . . .)

Tongues were to cease, I Cor.13:8. A careful search will show that when the last apostle died and the last person having received the laying on of hands from an apostle died, tongues had fulfilled their purpose and were no more. If not perhaps a scripture teaching otherwise may be offered.

I've been taught that 1 Corinthians 13 teaches that once the Scriptures became completed with the New Testament, then the gifts of prophesy, tongues and knowledge ceased. The reason being that up until the Bible was finished, the church needed these gifts as tools to accurately convey God's word and will to His Church.

The pertinent text would be:

1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

An alternative interpretation of 1 Cor 13 is that when we are all perfected ourselves via resurrection into the new heaven and earth, then prophesy, tongues and knowledge will be done away with for there will never again be a need for them as we will have full fellowship with God.

It depends a lot on what one wants to view as "perfect"...the Scriptures both Old and New Testaments, or the Church once the Marriage Supper has taken place?

I don’t see a lot of purpose in speaking in tongues, unless someone is there to interpret and benefit by the message being spoken.

How do you defend this position in light of the examples we have in Scripture where tongues were spoken without interpretation?

People speak of being edified by praying in tongues, but I don’t see why praying in tongues is necessary for that.

Does not Scripture reveal many actions that bring personal edification? Althought tongues may not be "necessary for that," why could it not be one of many means that God has designed to do so?

I have prayed in English all my life. Actually, I don't know if a person needs to speak in any language to speak to the Lord. Do our thoughts always need to be put into words?

I understand what you are saying. However, did not God provide various examples of prayer to demonstrate to us His desires? Is not speaking in tongues called prayer, therefore, one of the examples we are to use in communicating with God?

Respectfully,

Adelphos

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back