Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Trying to get people to change for me?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I've done a lot of changing for other people and I think it's time for people to change for me. Some bible verses could help.

Is it bad that I want people to change for me? I just want to be comfortable around the people that I'm with.

I guess it depends on what you mean. You can certainly set boundaries if you feel you are being mistreated. "Please do not do XYZ, it makes me uncomfortable." And if people override your boundaries without care and clearly won't respect your boundaries, there needs to be consequences. "When you ignored my request to stop doing XYZ around me it made me feel upset and like you don't care about me. Please stop or I will cease friendship."

I've done a lot of changing for other people and I think it's time for people to change for me. Some bible verses could help.

Is it bad that I want people to change for me? I just want to be comfortable around the people that I'm with.
Hello blessedly_me23, How are you?

The Lord Does The Changing Through Repentance

We have learned some things about some people they are not all the same, and people are people, but being unequally yoked together with unbelievers is not good, the best thing that we figure is to be equally together with your Saviour yourself and stay this way, so that way you will know.

In other words, never be like people want you to be evil communication corrupts good manners, but what we have done is to ask the Lord to show you how to rightly divide His words unto Him, you don't have to please anyone because you have a personal relationship with Him.

We have been studying our Bibles in search of the truth, I would advise you to learn the truth for yourself, for you need not be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, you sound like a Christian person, please continue always in His words of life my dear. 🙏) :clap

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:

You cannot change people. They are who they are.

People are not going to conform to that of what you want them to be. Set your boundaries of those you are willing to accept in your circle of friends that might have the same interest that you have and possibly share in their interest.

The Temple of the Living God
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

I don't know what you mean or to what extent you mean when you say you've changed for others but one thing is certain. You are setting yourself up for failure in both scenarios.

Changing yourself is only going to be temporary for you will always be you and that you will eventually come through. Being yourself is the best thing you can do. That is not to say that you cannot adjust or change yourself for the sake of improving you. But to do it for the sake of pleasing others is a waste of time because you are not being true to yourself and that makes you a liar.

Most certainly, you cannot expect others to change to fit your liking. They will be themselves and if they don't they will be living a lie with you and eventually, that lie will present itself.

Best advise I can offer is to be the best you, you can be.

Hi Blessedly
I think the problem you're having is because you're changing, or maybe doing things for others that maybe God did not ask you to do, is beyond what we could do , so we end up in resentment.

Make sure you understand that what you do you must do for God.

You cannot change others, only yourself.

Jesus said His yoke is easy.
Do the best you can but maybe not more?

God loves what you do for Him.

It’s not bad that you want to be comfortable around people you’re with. What are they doing that’s making you uncomfortable?

You cannot change other people, and you should not expect people to change for you. Oftentimes we wish people would change their behavior towards us, or towards someone else we love, but people must have some internal motivation for changing. They have to want to change. What motivated you to change a lot for others? Did those changes bring peace and joy to your life? When we make changes for others we always end up disappointed and feeling resentful, as though those for whom we changed owe us the same in return. The only one for whom we ought to make changes is Our Lord because He alone has our best interests at heart. He alone can satisfy the deep longing of our souls: “Thou hast made us for Thyself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee” (St. Augustine). He is faithful, and when we turn to Him, He turns to us. When we change our behavior to please Him then He fills us with unspeakable peace and joy even in the midst of difficulties.

Thomas a Kempis, by the grace of God, uttered these words of wisdom: “Be not angry [sad, resentful, restless, etc.] that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.”

This is how people get into boyfriend, girlfriend things and it spiral because one of them is not going to change no matter how much one would like. Like that song (can't remember who) " you can't raise a man, he is all ready full grown." It just magnifies even more over time.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back