Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Understanding Infant Baptism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WIP

Staff member
I want to preface this discussion saying that I am not interested in debating whether or not infant baptism is Biblical or not. I believe it is Biblical and will stick with that. That is not my question. What I do want to try to understand is how those of us in the paedobaptism group reconcile some things that I encountered today.

Baptism for me has been probably the most mysterious/mystical parts of our faith. I find it easier to grasp the concept of Trinity. I grew up in the Catholic church and today am of the Lutheran persuasion and both denominations believe in infant baptism. I honestly believe that Scripture does not contradict itself so when encountering what appears to be something that is in contrast, I believe that I am likely looking through a glass dimly. I also believe that we are to take the whole of Scripture into account and avoid proof texting to form our theology.

In the Lutheran church we believe that baptism is a means of Grace together with the God's Holy Word for which God creates the gift of faith in a person's heart. We also understand that Scripture speaks of whole households being baptized, which would include infants but then today in our adult Bible study, we were looking at Acts 8:26-40 where Phillip preached to the Ethiopian Eunuch. In my NKJV, verse 36-38 says the following.

36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.

The bold typed part in verse 37 caught my attention and this is what I'm asking about. How can we reconcile this with other Scripture like Acts 16 where it talks about Lydia and her household being baptized and the Philippian jailer and his household being baptized?

The bold typed part in verse 37 caught my attention and this is what I'm asking about. How can we reconcile this with other Scripture like Acts 16 where it talks about Lydia and her household being baptized and the Philippian jailer and his household being baptized?
If you begin to trust God, trust God's Word, and seek from Him His Wisdom instead of trusting what you were taught by those opposed to Jesus,
then and only then will you begin to realize the truth
and stop trying to reconcile pagan practices and pagan beliefs that you were taught growing up (so you likely did not know better, you did not know to avoid it like a plague)
with TRUTH.

There is no reconciling false teachings with TRUTH.
Trying to do so, trying to find ways to do that,

results in the blind leading the blind, and both falling in the pit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back