Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Walking By the Spirit: Basic Christian Living.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Tenchi

Galatians 5:16-18
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires
of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to
each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Galatians 5:25
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Are you "walking by the Spirit"? Do you know what it is to do so?

How does "walking by the Spirit" differ from merely "living by the Spirit"? Any idea?

How important is it to "walk in the Spirit"?

Here are answers to these questions:

What is "walking in/by the Spirit"?

To answer this question, it's helpful to contrast it with merely "living in/by the Spirit," as the apostle does. When a person is born-again and made a redeemed child of God, they are given new, spiritual life in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). How? By the Person of the Holy Spirit who is the "Spirit of Christ." He makes a "temple" of those in whom he takes up residence (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), in himself giving to those who have become his "temple" the life of Jesus.

Romans 8:9-11
9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

1 John 4:13
13 By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.

John 14:17
17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

So, then, every person who has become a spiritually-renewed, born-again child of God has become so because the Holy Spirit has come to dwell within them, giving to them in himself new, spiritual life, the life, in fact, of Jesus. Of such people it can be rightly said that they are "living in/by the Spirit"; they have spiritual life as an adopted child of God that they did not have as an unsaved person. In truth, without this spiritual life given to them in the Person of the Spirit there is no salvation, no being born-again, no "life in the Spirit," only living that is "dead (spiritually) in trespasses and sins" (Ephesians 2:1-3).

It's possible and very common for those who have been made "alive" spiritually by the Holy Spirit not to be "walking in/by the Spirit." What does it mean to do so? Well, Paul gives us a hint:

Galatians 5:18
...if you are led by the Spirit...

Romans 8:14
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

The word translated into English as "walk" in Galatians 5:25 is stoicheo in Greek, which conveys the idea of "ranging in regular line," or "marching in rank," or "keeping in step." The essence of the meaning of stoicheo, as Paul used it in the verse, is conformity. Those who are "walking in the Spirit" are living in conformity to his will and way, following his lead, keeping in step with his life and work within them. Implicit in this is that the born-again person is not merely spiritually alive but passing through each day in submission to the Holy Spirit, constantly giving over control of themselves to him, yielding themselves as "living sacrifices" to him (James 4:7; Romans 6:13-22; Romans 12:1).

A Christian can, then, be "alive" spiritually - "living in the Spirit" - but not living in submission to the Spirit, operating under his control and following his leading. This is, actually, for the majority of Christians, the "normal" state-of-affairs spiritually. Paul, though, makes it clear that merely "living in/by the Spirit" is not enough; just having spiritual life in the Spirit is not the purpose of being born-again spiritually. "Living in the Spirit" is the necessary, preceding condition to "walking in the Spirit"; but it is the state of "walking" in him that is the purpose of "living" in him. Paul even goes so far as to assert that only when one is "walking in the Spirit" are they able not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Doing so is vital to Christian living; for only as one is not being fleshly but Spirit-minded, living in submission to the will and way of the Holy Spirit, of God, are they able to fully enjoy God in intimate, daily communion.

Who cares? This is the response of many Christians who've lived, sometimes for decades, in the Spirit but have never "walked" in him. They've got along all right, they believe; their spiritual living isn't great, but it isn't horrible, either. They might not enjoy anything like an "abundant" life spiritually, but they aren't living like the devil. It's enough. Well, not as far as God is concerned. His child who has grown content with merely living in the Spirit is necessarily a starved weakling spiritually, unable to grow into proper, full spiritual maturity, a perennial spiritual - and carnal - infant. This was the condition of the believers at Corinth that Paul pointed at very directly and urged the Corinthian Christians to rectify (1 Corinthians 3). They were saved - living in the Spirit - but fleshly or carnal, and consequently fractious, partisan, selfish and unloving, permitting gross sexual sin in their midst (1 Corinthians 5), and even badly distorting the Lord's Supper, making it an opportunity for self-centered feasting rather than commemoration of, and reflection upon, the terrible sacrifice of Christ in atonement for their sin (1 Corinthians 11).

As Paul explained to the Galatian Christians, there are just two conditions in which one can walk with God: walking in the Spirit, or walking in the flesh. If one is not doing the former, one is necessarily doing the latter. And if one is walking in the flesh, by fleshly power and according to fleshly impulses, they cannot avoid living after the manner of the carnal Corinthian Christians. In other words, when one is not walking in the Spirit, one is walking in sin. Paul made this point very clearly in his letter to the Christians at Rome:

Romans 8:5-8
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot.
8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Not only is sin unavoidable when one is not walking in/by the Spirit, but to not walk in the Spirit is to disobey the command of God's word that directs God's children to do so (Galatians 5:16, 25). Though it is widely neglected by the majority of Christians today - unknown to many of them, actually - walking in/by the Spirit is not optional, but commanded. It is, really, the normal - and divinely mandated - way of living as a born again Christian. To not walk in/by the Spirit - especially when one knows to do so - is to sin and thus to cut off fellowship with God and halt the transforming work of the Spirit within (these two things always go together).

"But I don't feel cut off from God," the Christian who has never walked with God may reply, "I've never walked in the Spirit, but I think I'm enjoying God pretty well, anyway. You're making too much of this walking in the Spirit stuff." Well, what is true in this matter isn't what one might feel or think but what God says in His word. And as can be seen above, in His word, God is crystal clear that walking in the Spirit is vital to truly spiritual living, that is, living that is constantly in conformity to the will and way of the Spirit. Whatever the Christian might think is the case about their walk with God, however spiritual they believe it is, however much they feel "connected" to God, if they aren't daily walking in/by the Spirit, they are unavoidably walking in their flesh instead, and so living, not only in sin, but as a rebel toward God, as well.

You see, walking in/by the Spirit entails submission to him; one cannot walk in/by the Spirit apart from being under his control. So, then, if one is not walking in/by the Spirit, one is not living under his control and according to his will and way. In other words, one is a rebel toward the Spirit, who is God. Any believer who thinks they can live in this condition of rebellion toward God and enjoy true spiritual living and fellowship with Him is simply and profoundly deceived. And so, in God's word, the Christian is commanded repeatedly to live in humble submission to God:

Romans 6:13
13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

James 4:6-7
6 ...“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God...

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

I Have a thread in ygg by e catholic forum “live and walk by the spirit” check it out and I’ll read / study yours and we can compare them.
Thanks

To not walk in/by the Spirit - especially when one knows to do so - is to sin and thus to cut off fellowship with God and halt the transforming work of the Spirit within (these two things always go together).

Does this mean the saved person has lost eternal life and salvation?

Thanks

To not walk in/by the Spirit - especially when one knows to do so - is to sin and thus to cut off fellowship with God and halt the transforming work of the Spirit within (these two things always go together).

Thanks
Not necessarily for God knows what is in our hearts. We may make mistakes but God knows where our heart is and He knows that we are prone to do so.

The Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
1 Samuel 16:7 NKJV

I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind,
Jeremiah 17:10 NKJV

Sin or grace:

Romans 5:21
That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? ...

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

1 John 5:16
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Galatians 5:21-23
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Serious sin causes separation from God and His grace!

Thks

No, "walking in the Spirit" is about proper fellowship with God, not relationship with Him. The Prodigal Son is a great example of the difference between the two states (Luke 15:11-32). Though he did not enjoy fellowship with his father while he was off in a far country wasting his inheritance, the Prodigal Son never ceased to be the child of his father. Even in the pigpen eating slops, the Prodigal Son was still his father's boy. And it was because this was so that he finally looked up from the filth of the pigpen and said to himself, "I will go to my father." None of the other occupants of the pigpen did this. They were none of them children to the Prodigal Son's father and showed it by never thinking to leave the filth of the pigpen, being entirely content in it. It was the relationship the Prodigal Son had to his father, existing even when they did not enjoy fellowship with one another, that was the cause of the Son's return to his father.

What's the main difference between relationship and fellowship? Well, consider what happened when the Prodigal Son returned to his father in humble repentance and contrition. His father hugged and kissed him, clothed him in new robes and threw a party. This sort of joyful, intimate interaction is what distinguishes fellowship with our Heavenly Father from mere relationship to Him.

2 Corinthians 13:14
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

1 John 1:3
3 ...our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Revelation 3:20
20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

No, "walking in the Spirit" is about proper fellowship with God, not relationship with Him. The Prodigal Son is a great example of the difference between the two states (Luke 15:11-32). Though he did not enjoy fellowship with his father while he was off in a far country wasting his inheritance, the Prodigal Son never ceased to be the child of his father. Even in the pigpen eating slops, the Prodigal Son was still his father's boy. And it was because this was so that he finally looked up from the filth of the pigpen and said to himself, "I will go to my father." None of the other occupants of the pigpen did this. They were none of them children to the Prodigal Son's father and showed it by never thinking to leave the filth of the pigpen, being entirely content in it. It was the relationship the Prodigal Son had to his father, existing even when they did not enjoy fellowship with one another, that was the cause of the Son's return to his father.

What's the main difference between relationship and fellowship? Well, consider what happened when the Prodigal Son returned to his father in humble repentance and contrition. His father hugged and kissed him, clothed him in new robes and threw a party. This sort of joyful, intimate interaction is what distinguishes fellowship with our Heavenly Father from mere relationship to Him.

2 Corinthians 13:14
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

3 ...our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Revelation 3:20
20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.
Sin seperates us from God and Christ and grace!

If the sim was not repentant he would not have been restored

Since he needed repentance and restoration proves ho was seperated from his father!

Serious sin causes spiritual death and separation from God and grace

Romans 5:21
That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:1
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? ...

Romans 6:16
Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

1 John 5:16
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Galatians 5:21-23
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Serious sin causes separation from God and His grace!

(Suffering)

Phil 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind (lacking) of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

What’s lacking, our participation!
(The church participates in the Redemptive work of Christ)

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

1 pet 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Are you "walking by the Spirit"? Do you know what it is to do so?

How does "walking by the Spirit" differ from merely "living by the Spirit"? Any idea?

Here are answers to these questions:

What is "walking in/by the Spirit"?

To answer this question, it's helpful to contrast it with merely "living in/by the Spirit," as the apostle does. When a person is born-again and made a redeemed child of God, they are given new, spiritual life in Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). How? By the Person of the Holy Spirit who is the "Spirit of Christ." He makes a "temple" of those in whom he takes up residence (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), in himself giving to those who have become his "temple" the life of Jesus.

Walking according to the Spirit is the way of eternal life.

Practicing the works of the flesh is the way of eternal damnation.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

• those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Will not inherit the kingdom of God = Being sent to the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels!

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

JLB

Sin seperates us from God and Christ and grace!

Right. There was a separation between father and son in the story of the Prodigal Son when the son made rotten choices and went off into a far country to waste his inheritance. But through all of his foolishness he was always his father's son. Only their fellowship was dissolved, not their relationship.

On what basis do I gain acceptance with God? By my good works? No.

Titus 3:5
5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

2 Timothy 1:9
9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I am accepted by God as one of His own, I enter into relationship with God as His adopted child, ONLY because I am in the "Beloved" who is Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:4-7
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He has made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

Galatians 4:4-7
4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law,
5 so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
6 Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.

Since Jesus is always accepted by God and I am in Jesus, I, too, am always accepted by God. This acceptance is entirely Jesus-dependent, though, not me-dependent. And thank God this is so, because I am nowhere near perfect, as Jesus is. I cannot ever meet God's standard for acceptance by Him which is His own holy perfection. Jesus can, though, and has done so. All those in him, "clothed in Christ" (Romans 13:14; Galatians 3:27), have put on his perfect righteousness and are forever after seen by God in his righteousness. I have no cause to fear, then, that my salvation can be lost. My sin sin may separate me from fellowship with God, but it can never dissolve the basis for my adoption by God, which is only Jesus Christ.

Walking according to the Spirit is the way of eternal life.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Will not inherit the kingdom of God = Being sent to the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels!

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

I'm not sure why you bothered to post this since it ignored my post entirely. If you want to just promote your false and blasphemous works-salvation doctrine, please do so in your own thread. Thanks.

I'm not sure why you bothered to post this since it ignored my post entirely. If you want to just promote your false and blasphemous works-salvation doctrine, please do so in your own thread. Thanks.

Sir, I’m just participating in the thread like everyone else.

What part of the scriptures I gave did you not agree with?

Do you understand what the phrase “will not inherit the kingdom of God means” ?

Why can’t you just discuss my response to your post rather than attack me and accuse me?

I thought you made some good points in your opening post. Honestly I believe this is an important subject, and worthy of discussion since there are some serious implications that are made by the apostle Paul.

Example:

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Plainly Paul is saying that those who according to the flesh are under condemnation.

Paul continues this thought -

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Romans 8:5-6

• For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:12-14

• For if you live according to the flesh you will die

These are extremely serious statements and should not be overlooked but rather, should be discussed in the fear of the Lord.

JLB

Sir, I’m just participating in the thread like everyone else.

You are adding to the thread, yes, but you are not, I think, participating in it, by which I mean actually interacting with the OP directly and usefully. Instead, you've posted a passage from Galatians 5 without noting context and without relating it to the OP. Imagine doing this in face-to-face conversation with other people: A group discussion is going on in the church foyer after a Sunday morning service, and you just walk up and say something that you want to say but has no clear pertinency to what the group was discussing. You'd get a lot of wondering stares and folks thinking you were not a little rude to just intrude on the discussion in such a manner.

What part of the scriptures I gave did you not agree with?

I don't disagree with the passage from Galatians 5 that you quoted, only with the ambiguous way you offered it and the impression you've left that it supports the idea of a person's salvation being lost. What, at most, the passage does is indicate that a person who practices sin, whose life is commonly and persistently characterized by willful sin, is not, and has never been, saved (1 John 3:7-10). If you believe this, as Scripture gives us all good cause to do, then you should have said so, I think.

Do you understand what the phrase “will not inherit the kingdom of God means” ?

Do you?

Why can’t you just discuss my response to your post rather than attack me and accuse me?

It wasn't a response. It was, as far as I can see, just an attempt to derail the thread into your "hobby horse" area of doctrinal debate. And if you think it appropriate to ask me why I can't discuss your post, I should ask you why you didn't actually discuss mine, the OP of this thread.

I thought you made some good points in your opening post. Honestly I believe this is an important subject, and worthy of discussion since there are some serious implications that are made by the apostle Paul.

Example:

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Plainly Paul is saying that those who according to the flesh are under condemnation.

What a peculiar take on his words.

Romans 8:1
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Paul's emphasis isn't on the state of the fleshly in this verse but on the state of those in Christ Jesus. Why, in reading his words in this verse, is your focus so opposite Paul's? The latter part of verse 1- "who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit" - that appears in the KJV is a later accretion to the verse, repeating what is stated in verse 4. But even adding this bit, Paul's emphasis in the verse is clearly and chiefly upon the free-from-condemnation state of those "who are in Christ Jesus."

Paul continues this thought -

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Romans 8:5-6

• For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Yes, Paul, here, is indicating the only two fundamental states in which believers can exist: according to the Spirit, or according to the flesh. Every day, all believers live in one of these two states. If they live according to the flesh, their fellowship with God is "dead" (See the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32) and they will, in due time, reap the "harvest" of the flesh which is "corruption" (Galatians 6:7-8); if they live according to the Spirit, fellowship with God is the result and from this fellowship with Him arises "life and peace" (Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 5:9).

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:12-14

• For if you live according to the flesh you will die

Yes, a Christian who lives persistently in sin, or engages in a sufficiently grievous evil, may actually physically die as a consequence.

1 Corinthians 11:27-30
27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.
28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.

1 John 5:16-17
16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this.
17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death.

In these two passages, it is Christians who are in view, who "sleep" as a result of sin, or who "commit sin leading to death." This is very evident in the first passage in the fact that Paul is speaking to those partaking in the Lord's Supper which an unbeliever would have no cause, nor desire, to do. Moreover, Paul's first letter to the believer's at Corinth highlighted a host of sinful things going on among them - sexual sin, contentiousness, litigiousness, gross selfishness, etc. - but Paul repeatedly confirmed, nonetheless, that they were "brethren," "temples of God," "God's field and building," "in Christ" and so on (1 Corinthians 1:2, 4, 8-9, 11, 26, 30; 2:1, 3:1, 9, 16, 23; 4: 6, 14-15, etc.). So, then, when Paul wrote what he did in the passage above, he had born-again believers in view, not the unsaved.

In the second passage, John had born-again believers as his intended subject and audience, too. He begins:

3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Repeatedly in his letter, John lumped himself in with his readers, identifying with them by using pronouns like "we," "us," and "our" as he explained what he did to his readers. And in the passage above, John referred to those who see their "brother committing a sin" implying by "brother," not physical, familial ties, but spiritual ones. In doing so, John clearly indicated that a Christian brother, a born-again child of God, can - and does - sin (see also: 1 John 1:8-10; 1 John 2:1), even to the degree that their sin results in the death of their body.

And so, when Paul wrote to the Corinthian Christians, "if you you live after the flesh, you will die," he did not mean spiritual death, only physical death or, alternatively, the death of their fellowship with God.

These are extremely serious statements and should not be overlooked but rather, should be discussed in the fear of the Lord.

Yes, they are serious statements. But not because they threaten a born-again person's salvation. As I've already pointed out in this thread, a person's salvation does not rest upon them, but upon Christ.

A Christian ought to "fear the Lord" but in the sense of awed respect, reverence, for the Lord, not terror, not the anxiety-producing, paralyzing fear that at any moment, they might sin themselves beyond the unknown "line" between salvation and no longer saved. Such fear is opposed and corrosive to the love-relationship God intends to have with His children.

1 John 4:16-19
16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
19 We love, because He first loved us.

Last edited:
Instead, you've posted a passage from Galatians 5 without noting context

The following is how your op starts out, in Galatians 5.

I actually filled in the context you left out, which involves walking according to flesh, rather than walking according to the Spirit.

This subject is too important to leave out the parts we don’t like.

JLB

I don't disagree with the passage from Galatians 5 that you quoted, only with the ambiguous way you offered it and the impression you've left that it supports the idea of a person's salvation being lost.

Christians can indeed wander away from Christ and become lost.

Ever read the teaching from Jesus about the lost sheep, and the prodigal son?

Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!

It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.

Paul warns these Christians at Corinth —

• …just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JLB

What a peculiar take on his words.

Romans 8:1
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

That is not the complete verse. —

Paul begins to compare those who walk according to the Spirit, with those who walk according to the flesh.

Condemnation is upon those Christians who walk according to the flesh.

The following is how your op starts out, in Galatians 5.

I actually filled in the context you left out, which involves walking according to flesh, rather than walking according to the Spirit.

??? You referred to Romans 8, not anything from Galatians 5 in order to do so! How is this "filling in context"?

This subject is too important to leave out the parts we don’t like.

You see? I addressed this very directly in my last post, but you respond here as though I didn't. You did exactly the same thing with the OP - original post - of this thread, just taking your own line of discussion regardless of the thread's actual topic, which is walking in the Spirit, not the question of a believer's eternal security in Christ.

Christians can indeed wander away from Christ and become lost.

No, they can wander but never be lost in the sense that their salvation is dissolved. The Good Shepherd always go out and finds his sheep (Luke 15:4-7), and has promised that all the "sheep" God has given him he will never lose.

John 10:27-30
27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
30 "I and the Father are one."

John 6:39-40
39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Ever read the teaching from Jesus about the lost sheep, and the prodigal son?

Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!

It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.

Have you? It seems you can quote these verses from the parables but have not really read them with understanding.

Whose sheep did the shepherd find? His own sheep.

Was the Prodigal Son ever actually dead? No. Did he ever cease to be his father's son? No. The only thing that was "dead" was the fellowship between father and son.

Paul warns these Christians at Corinth —

• …just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Yes, as I already said, those who PRACTICE sin, who commonly and persistently live in sin, haven't lost their salvation but were never saved.

That is not the complete verse. —

See? Here, again, though I already addressed this, you speak here as though I didn't. The part of the verse you've highlighted here in red is a later accretion to the verse, not actually appearing in the better manuscripts. This is why in translations like the NKJV, the NASB, the ESV, and others this accretion has been removed.

In any case, keeping or subtracting this section doesn't alter what is the plain emphasis of Paul in the verse, which you de-emphasize entirely.

Condemnation is upon those Christians who walk according to the flesh.

*Sigh* You can lead a horse to water....

Anyway, the OP of this thread was about walking in the Spirit, not this stuff you frequently like to derail threads into. Please address the matter of walking in the Spirit, if you want to continue posting in this thread.

Back