Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ambrose

This is all i know about it and have not armed myself with any other scripture information but i would like to point that the original hebrew word used for "day" also serves for "age". Which brings you to think, Was the world created in a litteral six days that human beings perceive? Or was it created over a longer time?

This is all i know about it and have not armed myself with any other scripture information but i would like to point that the original hebrew word used for "day" also serves for "age". Which brings you to think, Was the world created in a litteral six days that human beings perceive? Or was it created over a longer time?

Each [DAY] had a evening & morning... to an age??? And Adam was created on the sixth [AGE??] And the 7th Day Sabbath was an 'AGE'?? No way for me to believe in that type of theology!:sad (even with the sun moon & stars + day & night to divide!! is to rule an age??)

In fact 'i' like both Job & Davids Inspiration [for True Theology FACTS!:thumbsup]
Job 26
[7] He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Psalms 33
[6] By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.
[7] He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses.
[8] Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.
[9] For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

So NO, 'i' see it as both these two were INSPIRED to understand it!

--Elijah

What about this scripture?

2 Peter 3:8

(NIV)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

(NIV)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.
apples to oranges.

what of this?for the lord created the heaveans and earth in six days and on the seventh day he rested. that said it also says next about the sabbath being that seventh day!

(NIV)

(NIV)

So what are you reading:study from this??? --Elijah

Remember now the same word can also be translated in to both day and age. Perhaps sabbath can be the thing that fights for 7 of our actual days. Just bringin up the question ;)

Ambrose,

If day in Genesis means age, then I wonder what " So the evening and the morning were the first day." means?

- Davies

Every Hebrew scholar agrees that the word Day in Genesis 1 means a literal day. You only find a variance from this view from Evangelical Christians.

Apparently, even Jesus took day as literal...

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Jesus does not say, "4.5 billion years after the earth was created, God made them male and female".

Problem is with creation taking 6, 24 hour days, as it seems is thought of here, is what is a 24 hour day based on? Isn't that one revolution of the earth in respect to the sun? That mind you (the sun) wasn’t created until the fourth day. So what is the first three days based on, that had no sun set, nor sun rise?

So if someone says to anyone who can read the first chapter, that God made all things in 6, 24 hour days is misleading, and that is why most scientific types don’t take the 6, 24 hour day seriously.

The often quoted saying of Peter is that one day is like a thousand years (to the Lord) and a thousand years as a single day. But we must also consider the prayer of Moses, spoken of in Psalms 90:

"A Prayer of Moses the man of God. Lord, You have been our dwelling place in
all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed
the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You [are] God.
You turn man to destruction, And say, "Return, O children of men." For a
thousand years in Your sight [Are] like yesterday when it is past, And [like] a
watch in the night.

... So teach [us] to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Return, O LORD! How long? And have compassion on Your servants." - (Psa 90:1-4,
12-13 NKJV)

Notice also that a thousand years is also compared to a "watch in the night". There were three "watches" in the time of David, four Roman watches in the time of Jesus. What did Jesus say about the night watch?

"Let your loins be girded about, and [your] lights burning; And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.

Blessed [are] those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.

And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find [them] so, blessed are those servants. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not." - (Luk 12:35-40 KJV)

Problem is with creation taking 6, 24 hour days, as it seems is thought of here, is what is a 24 hour day based on? Isn't that one revolution of the earth in respect to the sun? That mind you (the sun) wasn’t created until the fourth day. So what is the first three days based on, that had no sun set, nor sun rise?

So if someone says to anyone who can read the first chapter, that God made all things in 6, 24 hour days is misleading, and that is why most scientific types don’t take the 6, 24 hour day seriously.

It's pretty clear...
Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

When you look at the creation account according to Scriptures, it is very orderly unlike other near eastern accounts which are shoddy and erratic.

Scripture is clear, evening and morning are what comprise a day.

According to scripture, the earth was created before the universe as well... do we also challenge that because some scientist have other theories on the matter?

I think that mankind miss the point of the Godhead being God! Rom.4:17 has Them doing that which we cannot do. Calling the End from the beginning. At the END of the 6th day the PICTURE was Finished in perfection.

Rom. 4:17's last part of the verse even finds Christ the Son of God before He actually became such! The same as with creation week.

'... before him (Abe) whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

OK: The point being that creation week did not start until it was finished being created! (actually what was required to be created first or second, has very little merit. God spake & it stood fast!)

--Elijah

You post... 'that is why most scientific types don’t take the 6, 24 hour day seriously'.
PS: And that is why 'i' don't take the Jer. 17:5 ones seriously!:chin

StoveBolts
thanks for the reply

It's pretty clear...
Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Yea?

When you look at the creation account according to Scriptures, it is very orderly unlike other near eastern accounts which are shoddy and erratic.

So what; this isn’t religion comparison is it? You know, my religion is better then your’s contest.

Scripture is clear, evening and morning are what comprise a day.

Scripture is clear but do we understand it clearly? Is the question. Since evening and morning were the first day. And there was no sun light to constitute a day as in one revolution of the earth about it’s axis. Then what is a evening and a day in God’s site? Since He saw that what He made was good. You know evening: "and darkness was upon the face of the deep" then there was day as in light where there was no light "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." but yet there was still darkness. So what is a day unto the Lord God that there would be a next day (evening and morning)?

Why is it that if you live unto the eighth day, you must be circumcised? When is the eighth day?

According to scripture, the earth was created before the universe as well... do we also challenge that because some scientist have other theories on the matter?

We really don’t care what someone else’s theories are, but if you speak like the text says something other then what it says, then who’s going to take you seriously, as one who seeks to speak the Truth of a matter?

I think that mankind miss the point of the Godhead being God! Rom.4:17 has Them doing that which we cannot do. Calling the End from the beginning. At the END of the 6th day the PICTURE was Finished in perfection.

Rom. 4:17's last part of the verse even finds Christ the Son of God before He actually became such! The same as with creation week.

'... before him (Abe) whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

OK: The point being that creation week did not start until it was finished being created! (actually what was required to be created first or second, has very little merit. God spake & it stood fast!)

--Elijah

You post... 'that is why most scientific types don’t take the 6, 24 hour day seriously'.

Elijah

So is what you are saying is God’s Word is spoken as though something is but yet, it is not yet fulfilled or is not? And then it is fulfilled to God’s satisfaction in His site? And that would be evening and morning unto the Lord God, that constitutes the beginning of another day?

Elijah

So is what you are saying is God’s Word is spoken as though something is but yet, it is not yet fulfilled or is not? And then it is fulfilled to God’s satisfaction in His site? And that would be evening and morning unto the Lord God, that constitutes the beginning of another day?

[1] Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
[2] But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
[3] But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

I kind of thought that most would not grasp that. I had not meant to be crafty!;) :sad

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Elijah674

--Elijah

--Elijah

I kind of thought that most would not grasp that. I had not meant to be crafty!;) :sad

--Elijah

Might as well say it strait forward Elijah. When the Lord shows us and teaches us He doesn’t mince words and messages does He? He says it as we understand it, so we can understand it. Shouldn’t we do, as He has done to us?

The Lord Be with you.

Might as well say it strait forward Elijah. When the Lord shows us and teaches us He doesn’t mince words and messages does He? He says it as we understand it, so we can understand it. Shouldn’t we do, as He has done to us?

The Lord Be with you.

And you also asked..

Re: Was the world really created in 6 days according to the old testament.

______
So what is the first three days based on, that had no sun set, nor sun rise?

My answer? Is Gods Word. (again of Rom. 4:17's last part of the verse!) A better study is that of Jer. 4:22-27 as I see it.:thumbsup

I believe John 3 16 , do i understand it completely nope.

I believe the Genesis just the same way .... Plain and simple

This OP brings once again scofield to mind :sad

I remember posting in other threads, a day is defined by God. It is indeed literal 6 days. But the length of each day for the first 4 days of creation could vary for they did not have the sun. The sun began to rule the day from the fifth day.

(Gen 1:5) God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night."

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back