Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"We must obey God rather than Men!"

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Heidi

That comes from Acts 5:29. So my question is: is there any catholic here who is interested in obeying God rather than men? :-? If so, then I will be happy to show him passages in the bible that they have either ignored, overlooked or disagreed with in favor of the pope. But first they must decide who their loyalties are; to God or to the pope because contrary to their claims, the pope and God are not one in the same.

Jesus told us what would happen if we call anyone on earth "Father'. We then begin to see human(s) as God and replace the teachings of God with the teachings of those whom we call Our Father. And that is exactly what the Catholics do. If you truly relied on the bible, you wouldn't need a catechism. So throw out the catechism and the traditions of obeying men rather than God. All you need is God's word because Jesus tells us "You have one teacher and that is the Christ." if so, I will be more than happy to engage in conversation with him. :)

Note: I'm not interested in conversing with those Catholics who claim they do believe the bible yet whose posts are filled with attempts to show why the bible is wrong and the pope is right by quibbling over words. "For Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light." So I will ignore Satan and converse with only those who want to believe God's word and not the words of men. I'm just wondering if there is even one Catholic here who is interested in learning what God is telling us, not what the pope is telling us. :)

Heidi:

I do not agree with much of Catholic teaching, either. However, traditions of men invade every aspect of Christianity and none of us are uninfluenced by them--- perhaps some are more influenced than others but still influenced nonetheless.

I sometimes get flack over my supposed Anglo-Israel viewpoints because it does not fit in the mass mold of Protestantism, but I have YET to hear a plausible explanation for passages such as Genesis 35:11 and Genesis 48:19 regarding nations coming from the patriarchs.

And much like you, I put out the same challenge and point out that we ought to obey God (and the teachings of the Bible) rather than men. I know exactly where you are coming from, and yet I await my long needed answer that is something other than what I believe from virtually all branches of Christianity (if indeed what I know about these passages are supposedly so foolish).

tim_from_pa said:
Heidi:

I do not agree with much of Catholic teaching, either. However, traditions of men invade every aspect of Christianity and none of us are uninfluenced by them--- perhaps some are more influenced than others but still influenced nonetheless.

I sometimes get flack over my supposed Anglo-Israel viewpoints because it does not fit in the mass mold of Protestantism, but I have YET to hear a plausible explanation for passages such as Genesis 35:11 and Genesis 48:19 regarding nations coming from the patriarchs.

And much like you, I put out the same challenge and point out that we ought to obey God (and the teachings of the Bible) rather than men. I know exactly where you are coming from, and yet I await my long needed answer that is something other than what I believe from virtually all branches of Christianity (if indeed what I know about these passages are supposedly so foolish).

Sin also happens in every man but that doesn't mean it should be condoned. :) The E-free church which I attend doesn't rely on tradition. Tradition is always changed when previous tradition is deemed unbiblical. And that's as it should be. :)

Heidi:

Yes, when we find something that is unbiblical, it is wise to change. And it is along that line that I am making my point. As long as those claiming that certain branches of Christianity are under traditions are willing to change their own when pointed out.

Heidi said:
That comes from Acts 5:29. So my question is: is there any catholic here who is interested in obeying God rather than men? :-? If so, then I will be happy to show him passages in the bible that they have either ignored, overlooked or disagreed with in favor of the pope. But first they must decide who their loyalties are; to God or to the pope because contrary to their claims, the pope and God are not one in the same.

Thanks for your concern, Heidi. We follow God as He speaks through the Church, as He always has done. I presume you have read the Bible? God's gift to us through the Church. The Apostles and their successors? God's gift to us. Pastors and evangelists? Again, God's gifts to us.

What a wonderful God we have.

Regards

tim_from_pa said:
Heidi:

Yes, when we find something that is unbiblical, it is wise to change. And it is along that line that I am making my point. As long as those claiming that certain branches of Christianity are under traditions are willing to change their own when pointed out.

tim,
all churches follow traditions,true, many dont say they do but its just a fact. is there a church thats doctrine/interpretation is truth? not some or half or 75% but one who the Spirit of Truth dwells more in than others?

biblecatholic said:
tim,
all churches follow traditions,true, many dont say they do but its just a fact. is there a church thats doctrine/interpretation is truth? not some or half or 75% but one who the Spirit of Truth dwells more in than others?

That's a good question---- being raised Protestant myself, I like Luther's observation of a visible and invisible church. The more people you have in a group, the more diversity of opinion and doctrine, but usually in the smaller matters. This makes the visible, organized church. And of course, everyone that studies their bible believes they have the truth (but so does the next guy) with the exception of the tag-along people that come to worship services as followers and no strong beliefs/opinions of their own. Individuals are the ones that make up the body of Christ, however, and are the invisible church.

Therefore, the border to determine as to whether one is a believer or not is up to God and many in our midst may not even be saved. But looking from a personal standpoint myself, I have a more stringent (whether I'm right or wrong) belief regarding those in the body of Christ. I don't think as many people are Christians as they think they are. That's because a good portion are just the followers that come to services "because that is the right and Christian thing to do". However, for those that have faith, that is evidenced by bible study, etc and God knows the heart and reveals things to them. Disagreements may result when there are different degrees of revelation and some people did not get there yet. However, when God reveals something in the bible but a person rejects it based on personal opinion or tradition, this is when there is danger.

I would say that a church that teaches from the bible vs. excessive liturgical exercises is one closer to the truth, without naming any one in particular. Frankly, I'm on the verge myself of becoming part of a home church because there are only a few people in our church that really love to dig into the Word. That would be a true church. The rest of the people there are quite worldly---- e.g. sports takes priority over study of God's Word, they will "fit God into their plans", etc..

francisdesales said:
Thanks for your concern, Heidi. We follow God as He speaks through the Church, as He always has done. I presume you have read the Bible? God's gift to us through the Church. The Apostles and their successors? God's gift to us. Pastors and evangelists? Again, God's gifts to us.

What a wonderful God we have.

Regards

So then you obey men rather than God. Is that correct? Or do you think your priests are God? :o And if God speaks to you through the church, then what do you need the bible for? :o Why not just listen to the pastors?

But if your priests contradict God's word, who would you believe? Your priests or God's word? :o Or again, do you think your priests are as infallible as God is?

Back