Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do you say Luke 14:31-33 means? I was told I was way off.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, it's about counting the cost of becoming a disciple of Christ. That Jesus makes crystal clear. What does that mean in regard to total surrender, assuming that's the theme here?
It means you decide if you are willing to lay down your will and your desires in order to obey Him instead.

In Luke 14:31-33 Jesus uses somewhat of a parable about a weaker king coming against a greater king:

31Or what king on his way to war with another king will not first sit down and consider whether he can engage with ten thousand men the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32And if he is unable, he will send a delegation while the other king is still far off, to ask for terms of peace.

33In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

Who is the king with 10,000 men?
Who is the king with 20,000 men?
Who is the delegation?
What are the terms for peace?
What significance is there in these terms of peace being established while the stronger king is still far off?
Luke 14:33 is probably one of the most unpopular verses in the entire Bible. It explicitly states that “Whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.”

We used to sing, “All to Jesus I surrender, I surrender all.” Yet there are those among us who say we can have our feet in both camps, one foot in the Christian camp and another foot in the world.

Jesus was probably talking about the divorce of Herod from his first wife Herodias the daughter of Aretas, a powerful Arabian prince. This involved Herod in an Arabian war, the result of which was disastrous to the tetrarch.

Josephus points out that this ill-omened incident was the commencement of Herod Antipas’s subsequent misfortunes. Our Lord probably used this to illustrate the single-minded determination we need to employ when living the Christian life.

The. first of these two similes points to the building up of the Christian life in our hearts and lives. The second is an image of the warfare that every Christian man must wage against the world, its passions, and its lusts. It is either all or nothing for Jesus. We are either for him or against him. We cannot live our lives with one foot in the Christian camp and the other foot in the world as the OSAS people say we can or our end will be worse than that of Herod.

Did you always fly with the American Air Force or did you sometimes act as a traitor? (I know the answer. You were faithful, and that is how it should always be.)

Last edited:
The parable is about you counting the cost to you to follow Him and will you do so? He is the pearl of great value that a man must sell all he has to BUY.

I know you probably hate those verses but they are nevertheless there. If you spent as much energy on obeying them as you do on insisting you needs do nothing, life would be better. Why not surrender instead of fighting it clinging desperately to all is free of cost? You could still look into the mirror each morning and tell that man he IS righteous already if that makes you feel better although I personally think focusing on how righteous you are is too narcissistic for God to find attractive.
Isaiah 55:1 kjv
1. Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

I am open to really understanding how this fits everyone. Symbolism is there I am sure.

Maybe it fits the one new man. Made up of Jew and gentile. Understanding one goes to the Jews and the other to the gentiles. The wall is broken down and arguments are resolved in seeking peace.

At a point in time there was war between the two factions. The Jerusalem counsel seems to have resolved the issue, and thus brought peace.

eddif

When the world seeks a time of war resolution there is really no true peace. There is just detente or entente. Understanding on a level, but no real eternal peace.

When Christian Jews and Christian gentiles discuss, true peace can come in Christ Jesus.

When we speak of real eternal peace, we have to realize it is between God and man. God established the way of peace. Then we realize the peace between brothers in true Christianity.

Realizing what the Jerusalem counsel said is difficult but not impossible.

eddif

Revelation 1.6 kjv
6. And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

When we realize peace is needed, then then the peace between kings and priests can take place.

eddif

Did you always fly with the American Air Force or did you sometimes act as a traitor? (I know the answer. You were faithful, and that is how it should always be.)
I can not tell you.

If I told you I would have to kill you in the interest of national security. :wink

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back