Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do you think the scripture means in 2 Cor 5:10?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Does anyone want to think about this and other verses that discuss when the books will be opened and our lives evaluated? I cannot quite see how being judged by deeds AND having your name in the book of life as the pivotal important point go together.

Does having your name there mean you’ve avoided being judged by your deeds? Doesn’t seem so. If all non-entires are condemned anyway, why judge at all? Anyone else curious about this?

Please don’t give us reams of scripture with no discussion. It’d be nice to have an exchange of thoughts not a lecture. We know the scripture. We want to know what it means for us when we stand before Him.

Or if your church told you that you’re in like flint and all bad deeds are automatically “covered under the blood” then you’d best move on. We won’t enjoying hear “those verses don’t apply” and you won’t enjoy hearing how they do.

If I haven’t just eliminated everyone, anyone interested?

I never thought about that. Are there any other scriptures that talk about the judgement seat?

I am kinda reminded of the Catholic idea of purgatory. All souls go there, according to Catholicism, at least from what my Catholic friends have told me.

I never thought about that. Are there any other scriptures that talk about the judgement seat?

I am kinda reminded of the Catholic idea of purgatory. All souls go there, according to Catholicism, at least from what my Catholic friends have told me.
Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. Dan 7:10

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. ......Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire. Rev 20.12-

These are a few of the verses that talk about this. No, this is not purgatory, which is not in the Bible. There is death and then comes judgment where the books are opened containing the deeds of one's life. There is no temporary place from which you can change later. By these deeds we are judged, including the Judgement Seat of Christ, if that is different. I am not sure.

And then there is the Lamb's book of life, a book in which the believer's have their names written. (We can leave aside the "blotting out of names" as that is a different subject.) So my question is are the believers, names in the Book of life, going to Heaven and still their deeds are judged? Is this "working your way" towards something? Does attitude matter? Just wondering out loud.

I've always wondered if it means that all Christians will be saved and go to heaven, but will still have our lives evaluated.

Luke 12:2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.

Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. Dan 7:10

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. ......Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire. Rev 20.12-

These are a few of the verses that talk about this. No, this is not purgatory, which is not in the Bible. There is death and then comes judgment where the books are opened containing the deeds of one's life. There is no temporary place from which you can change later. By these deeds we are judged, including the Judgement Seat of Christ, if that is different. I am not sure.

And then there is the Lamb's book of life, a book in which the believer's have their names written. (We can leave aside the "blotting out of names" as that is a different subject.) So my question is are the believers, names in the Book of life, going to Heaven and still their deeds are judged? Is this "working your way" towards something? Does attitude matter? Just wondering out loud.
I've thought that Jesus is our mediator. On that day of judgment, perhaps He stands before us believers having redeemed us of our transgressions.

Could also look at Matthew 25:31-46.

2 separate judgments the one 2 cor 5:10 Christians give account .but not to as if saved or not aka bema seat

Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire. Rev 20.12- the last judgement those who do not have Christ aka white throne judgment

I've thought that Jesus is our mediator. On that day of judgment, perhaps He stands before us believers having redeemed us of our transgressions.

In the scripture you quote he is separating nations judging them. By what measure? Faith in Him? No, the deeds done in the body.

That is my query.

I've always wondered if it means that all Christians will be saved and go to heaven, but will still have our lives evaluated.

Luke 12:2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.
Yes, that’s my question too.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Does anyone want to think about this and other verses that discuss when the books will be opened and our lives evaluated? I cannot quite see how being judged by deeds AND having your name in the book of life as the pivotal important point go together.

Does having your name there mean you’ve avoided being judged by your deeds? Doesn’t seem so. If all non-entires are condemned anyway, why judge at all? Anyone else curious about this?

Please don’t give us reams of scripture with no discussion. It’d be nice to have an exchange of thoughts not a lecture. We know the scripture. We want to know what it means for us when we stand before Him.

Or if your church told you that you’re in like flint and all bad deeds are automatically “covered under the blood” then you’d best move on. We won’t enjoying hear “those verses don’t apply” and you won’t enjoy hearing how they do.

The first 12 verses of Luke 12 probably be read first.
Then
Luke 12:48 kjv
48. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

This may help why a record (book) of actions is needed.

The amount of punishment is considered in a court trial.
We say today ( the punishment should fit the crime ).
The Bible just makes it more clear.

eddif

Another thought, what if some of this judgement is not only after we die but here and now?

You know that verse,

“Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.f

I heard a preacher say that this refers to this life. That is, how treat others brings back a blessing or difficulties to us now. Not saying all blessings nor difficulties are from our behavior, but surely there is a connection. “Give dnd it shall be given unto you,” for example. Surely we can even see some peoples problems are the result of their poor choices.

Just thinking out loud…

not only our mediator but OUR ADVOCATE :thumbsup :amen
I've always wondered if it means that all Christians will be saved and go to heaven, but will still have our lives evaluated
really close the good and the bad
Yes, that’s my question too.
it plainly tells us the judgment we give account of the good deeds and the bad/works if we have confessed our sin he has forgiven us == no judgement for that. our works are tried by fire wood hay stubble will burn up in the test. the thing we thought of as righteous works .but the motives were not of God . Gold silver precious stones will stand the fire these are works we have done by the righteousness of Christ Christians stand at the bema seat of rewards .

WE will not stand at the white throne judgement of the lost

its not hard to understand

Another thought, what if some of this judgement is not only after we die but here and now?

this would fall under chastisement

You know that verse,

“Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.f

I heard a preacher say that this refers to this life. That is, how treat others brings back a blessing or difficulties to us now. Not saying all blessings nor difficulties are from our behavior, but surely there is a connection. “Give dnd it shall be given unto you,” for example. Surely we can even see some peoples problems are the result of their poor choices.

Just thinking out loud…
Is it possible Jesus was speaking about our life and the judge He spoke of is He Himself? Food for thought. And this would tie together with Matthew 25:3-42, right?

Is it possible Jesus was speaking about our life and the judge He spoke of is He Himself? Food for thought. And this would tie together with Matthew 25:3-42, right?
Yes, that certainly speaks of this life. Very interesting. The wise ones made different choices than the foolish ones, in this life.

not only our mediator but OUR ADVOCATE :thumbsup :amen

really close the good and the bad

it plainly tells us the judgment we give account of the good deeds and the bad/works if we have confessed our sin he has forgiven us == no judgement for that. our works are tried by fire wood hay stubble will burn up in the test. the thing we thought of as righteous works .but the motives were not of God . Gold silver precious stones will stand the fire these are works we have done by the righteousness of Christ Christians stand at the bema seat of rewards .

WE will not stand at the white throne judgement of the lost

its not hard to understand

this would fall under chastisement
Yes I agree with you and wanted to examine the details. What are wood, hay and stubble, for example? A bad attitude is too easy an answer. We often lie to ourselves as to our motive or attitude.

And do we know when we’re suffering from chastisement s opposed to simply the result of foolish choices? God isn’t involved in the latter.

Good thread! I love it when someone just wants to talk about things. When they want to think things through and possibly consider different perspectives- for what they are worth. Never forget the poor widow, who offered her two cents worth and of her it was said- her two cents was of more value than all other contributors.

"This poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.”

So--- wonderful. Let's have an exchange of thoughts. That kind of exchange is more valuable than gold.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back