Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Does Jesus Say About A Saved Person Becoming Unsaved ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I don't believe we do it entirely on our own.
I am convinced otherwise.
2 Timothy
That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

I have been appointed by God to eternal life.
Randy
Your first sentence is in opposition to your last sentence.

A person can not " abide " in a place without ever having been there .

Thank you for making my point.

Jesus is speaking of those who profess His name but of whom He says " I never knew you" .

No Jesus is not speaking of those He never knew.

Here is what Jesus said -

• If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered

Jesus is plainly referring to people who are "in Him".
Jesus exhorts His disciples to
remain in Him.

• Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;

God the Father removes branches, "people" in Christ, who are unfruitful.

1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:1-6

#1 Please show the scripture that says it was a year, before David repented.

# 2 We don't know how long this following process takes -

Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17

The bible seems to be clear and consistent. When a person sins, they must repent or become lost.

JLB
Scripture tells us that David did not repent for over a year , and then only when God confronted him thru Nathan the prophet .
We know it was over a year because Bathsheba became pregnant with David's child upon their first sexual contact, and the child was already born by the time Nathan confronted David:

2 Samuel 11:27
And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

Why do you think God would allow David to keep his salvation & get away with so much sin for so long without repenting ?

Randy
Your first sentence is in opposition to your last sentence.
I think not as my will is involved as well as Gods.
My faith rests on Gods faithfulness though. In the past He reserved 7000 for Himself so to at present time He keeps safe those He has chosen. Not meaning pre chosen to be saved. At least I don't believe that except in certain key players such as Paul which God does for His own purposes. I am not anyone of importance.
“I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”
Those who listen and learn from the Father go to the Son.
"All will be taught by God"
"Those who belong to God hear what God says"
"All that the Father gives me will come to me"
"Children born of God"

I know I'm not free to sin. The Spirit helps us in this. I don't do works to be clean as I have been made clean by the Spirit. Whatever the Spirit of God touches becomes Holy.

For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day

Thank you for making my point.

No Jesus is not speaking of those He never knew.

Here is what Jesus said -

• If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered

Jesus is plainly referring to people who are "in Him".
Jesus exhorts His disciples to
remain in Him.

• Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;

God the Father removes branches, "people" in Christ, who are unfruitful.

1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:1-6
Jesus called the Israelites the children. Yet those who rejected Him were cut off. "Taken away"

“Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.

Reactions: JLB
Scripture tells us that David did not repent for over a year , and then only when God confronted him thru Nathan the prophet .
We know it was over a year because Bathsheba became pregnant with David's child upon their first sexual contact, and the child was already born by the time Nathan confronted David:

And when the mourning was past, David sent and fetched her to his house, and she became his wife, and bare him a son. But the thing that David had done displeased the LORD.

Fair enough.

Why do you think God would allow David to keep his salvation & get away with so much sin for so long without repenting ?

What makes you think a murderer still has eternal life abiding in him.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

David repented and was restored.

Fair enough.

What makes you think a murderer still has eternal life abiding in him.

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

David repented and was restored.
Now you are evading the result of your own question to me .
Your question by it's very nature revealing that you believed it would not be right for God to let David carry on without repenting of his great sin for over a year.
Yet now that I have answered & shown you that is exactly what happened you do not want to deal with it .
So give me your explanation for the fact I have shown you?
Are all Christians granted a year to repent like David ?
Or was David Allotted more time than me and you to repent ?
Or do we build up repent time credits according to how long we have been a Christian like with Social Security .
How much repent time credits do you believe you have right now ?
7 months , 10 months , maybe more ?
How do we know how much repent time we are allotted ?

I don't believe we do it entirely on our own.
I am convinced otherwise.
2 Timothy
That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

I have been appointed by God to eternal life.
If you are faithful and obey!

Christians are called to suffer Phil 1:29

Now you are evading the result of your own question to me .
Your question by it's very nature revealing that you believed it would not be right for God to let David carry on without repenting of his great sin for over a year.
Yet now that I have answered & shown you that is exactly what happened you do not want to deal with it .
So give me your explanation for the fact I have shown you?
Are all Christians granted a year to repent like David ?
Or was David Allotted more time than me and you to repent ?
Or do we build up repent time credits according to how long we have been a Christian like with Social Security .
How much repent time credits do you believe you have right now ?
7 months , 10 months , maybe more ?
How do we know how much repent time we are allotted ?

Who said David was granted a year to repent? Certainly not me.

David like all of us, must repent if we commit a sin, in order to be restored.

Again, here is the process.

Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17

Nathan was sent by God to David.
  • if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.
David responded with repentance.

David was restored.

I have posted this 2 or 3 times now and all you do is ignore it, and keep making assumptions about what I believe, and about what God does with His people. Brother read the bible verses I am giving you because it's what I believe.

You keep making a lot of assumptions about me and God, like...
  • Now you are evading the result of your own question to me.
  • Are all Christians granted a year to repent like David ?
  • Or do we build up repent time credits according to how long we have been a Christian like with Social Security .
  • How much repent time credits do you believe you have right now ?

I have never said these things nor do I believe them.

JLB

Who is MT?

Still waiting for you to tell me how? Please

No one is saved before the hour of death Matt 24:13
People are saved from the practice of their sins now. At the same time Jesus taught that those who believe by God given faith ...HAVE....eternal life. jn5:24-25
They do not have temporary life, but Jesus said eternal, never ending life.

Your understanding then is if the man had fallen out of salvation but had enough time before the end to repent then he would be saved ?
As the man's first repentance from sin was a lie to God, only another repentance would be counted to his credit.
If he holds true to that repentance until the end, his name will be in the book of life on the day of judgement..

If you are faithful and obey!

Christians are called to suffer Phil 1:29
I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Yes, faith and obedience but isn't that what John is stating about those who really belong to Him? Apparently, God has given them a new heart to follow Him with the aid of His Spirit in them. If someone says they know Him but doesn't do what He says they are a liar.

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

This is how we know the sincerity of one's claims.

This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

God cannot disown Himself.

Not enough time for me here, nor space to show the many Scripture that show why God is merciful to some and not to others .
Your implied belief that by "mercy" God let David get away with his sin, as compared to others clearly shows your understanding of God to be flawed & circumscribed by your own flesh.
By your limited scope you have no awareness that as a result of his sin God brought David to the place where he begged that God would have killed him.

2 Samuel 18:33-19:8
David Mourns for Absalom​

The king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept, and as he went he said, “O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!”

JLB
The scripture says so .

".........and she became his wife, and bare him a son. "

The child conceived in David's sin came to full term and was born before David repented .
By Simple biology you ought to know the number of months required for a full term baby ?
That is how long David was allowed not to repent ?
God is no respecter of persons.
Write that down.
What applied to David applies to all believers .

The scripture says so .

".........and she became his wife, and bare him a son. "

The child conceived in David's sin came to full term and was born before David repented .
By Simple biology you ought to know the number of months required for a full term baby ?
That is how long David was allowed not to repent ?
God is no respecter of persons.
Write that down.
What applied to David applies to all believers .
In post #186 I agreed with your assessment of a year before David repented.

I said - "fair enough"

Moving on, I asked --

Again, here is the process.

Nathan was sent by God to David.
  • if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.
David responded with repentance.

David was restored.

I have posted this 2 or 3 times now and all you do is ignore it, and keep making assumptions about what I believe, and about what God does with His people. Brother read the bible verses I am giving you because it's what I believe.

You keep making a lot of assumptions about me and God, like...
  • Now you are evading the result of your own question to me.
  • Are all Christians granted a year to repent like David ?
  • Or do we build up repent time credits according to how long we have been a Christian like with Social Security .
  • How much repent time credits do you believe you have right now ?

I have never said these things nor do I believe them.

JLB

In post #186 I agreed with your assessment of a year before David repented.

I said - "fair enough"

Moving on, I asked --

JLB

Why does God's Word clearly say David was not only given the time it took for the child to come to full term and be born to repent, but also allow David not to repent of his own conscious ?
For a year no less.
Add to that , David did not repent until he was physically confronted about his sin .
If that's what it took. why was Nathan even sent by God , why did God go to such lengths to get David to repent.
Why did God not wash His hands of David ?
God being no respecter of persons, how much time is the average Joe Christian allotted to repent ?
And what additional lengths will God go to in getting the average Joe Christian to repent ?
Unchecked Copy Box
Act 10:34
Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Your theology of lost & regained salvation demands that there be an answer , is there one standard for all, or is God applying different time standards for different people ?

Peter's theology requires no such calculations, as he has stated that God is no respecter of Persons when it comes to salvation .
The standards apply for " WHOMSOEVER "
Unchecked Copy Box
Act 10:34
Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

As for me I will believe him who walked with Jesus for 3 years .

People are saved from the practice of their sins now. At the same time Jesus taught that those who believe by God given faith ...HAVE....eternal life. jn5:24-25
They do not have temporary life, but Jesus said eternal, never ending life.
Eternal life refers to grace

Believe and continue to believe
Jn 3:16 (present tense) believes
And we must abide in Christ Jn 15:4
Endure to the end Matt 24:13

Reactions: JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back