Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What happens to those who have never heard of Christ's sacrifice?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

OzSpen

C F Martin D28 acoustic guitar
I receive the regular emailer from William Lane Craig's Reasonable Faith. He answered a recent question: "The Fate of Those Who Reject Christ." In it, he deals with the issue of what happens to those who have never heard of Christ, a topic that has come up over and over on this forum. Part of Craig's answer was:

I affirm that people who have never heard the Gospel can be saved through Christ’s atoning death by their response to God’s general revelation in nature and conscience. For they may not resist, but respond to, the light that God has given them. “But then, how can God reject someone who seeks Him and says they have found Him in another religion?” The question is misstated. The proper question is, how can God condemn someone who has turned away from Christ to another religion? The answer is, because such a person resists and ignores the Holy Spirit.
This is only a short article with lots of meat in it. How do you respond to his response about those who have never heard of Christ?

Oz

I would state those who have never heard of Jesus are neither saved nor condemned. That they will come before the one who judges and Jesus will make a judgment concerning them. I would add nothing is hidden from Jesus.

I have never met anyone in this day and age who hasn't heard of Jesus. Clearly in the beginning and for a period afterward parts of the world were beyond the reach of the Apostles message.

I receive the regular emailer from William Lane Craig's Reasonable Faith. He answered a recent question: "The Fate of Those Who Reject Christ." In it, he deals with the issue of what happens to those who have never heard of Christ, a topic that has come up over and over on this forum. Part of Craig's answer was:

This is only a short article with lots of meat in it. How do you respond to his response about those who have never heard of Christ?

Oz

Interesting study.

None of these scripture passages fully answer the question but give us a hint of how God sees those who have never heard of His Son.

I have heard it said in more ways than one, that “there are some people who have never heard of Christ that have more godly character than most Christians”.

Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.
Acts 10:34-35

Peter said this of Cornelius, a Roman Centurion who had never heard the Gospel.

God told Peter not to call unclean, what He called clean.

Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,”...
2 Timothy 2:19

JLB

Interesting study.

None of these scripture passages fully answer the question but give us a hint of how God sees those who have never heard of His Son.

I have heard it said in more ways than one, that “there are some people who have never heard of Christ that have more godly character than most Christians”.

Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.
Acts 10:34-35

Peter said this of Cornelius, a Roman Centurion who had never heard the Gospel.

God told Peter not to call unclean, what He called clean.

Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,”...
2 Timothy 2:19

JLB

Well stated JLB.

I would add that in Rom 1 Paul gives a primary reason why those will be "without excuse" before God:

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse (Rom 1:18-20 NIV).​

If people are "without excuse" when they stand before God because of the evidence from creation and then their suppression of the truth, I'm happy to understand that God has provided a way of salvation without hearing the Gospel.

Oz

Reactions: JLB
Well stated JLB.

I would add that in Rom 1 Paul gives a primary reason why those will be "without excuse" before God:

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – his eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse (Rom 1:18-20 NIV).​

If people are "without excuse" when they stand before God because of the evidence from creation and then their suppression of the truth, I'm happy to understand that God has provided a way of salvation without hearing the Gospel.

Oz
Hi Oz
Nice to see you around.

I agree with JLB.
I agree with Craig about everything,,,,I think.

Many times I've posted Romans 1:19...in this regard. Cornelius and Lidia are good examples also, and those of the OT.

I know Christians that insist Jesus is the only way,,,,forgetting about the Trinity.
Jesus is God, but God Father is God too!

As we learn in the NT, Jesus is the propitiation for all men. Have all heard of Him? No. But He is still the propitiation for those that believe in God Father through his creation.

Although I don't really understand this spiritual truth, it fits together really well with scripture, Romans and Acts and 1 John 2:2.

Hi Oz
Nice to see you around.

I agree with JLB.
I agree with Craig about everything,,,,I think.

Many times I've posted Romans 1:19...in this regard. Cornelius and Lidia are good examples also, and those of the OT.

I know Christians that insist Jesus is the only way,,,,forgetting about the Trinity.
Jesus is God, but God Father is God too!

As we learn in the NT, Jesus is the propitiation for all men. Have all heard of Him? No. But He is still the propitiation for those that believe in God Father through his creation.

Although I don't really understand this spiritual truth, it fits together really well with scripture, Romans and Acts and 1 John 2:2.

wondering,

I haven't been around here much lately as I've just come out of 7 weeks in hospital where I had 2 experiences in ICU of "going through the valley of the shadow of death" (Ps 23:4). I suffered epileptic seizures, very low blood pressure and pneumonia.

I don't think we are getting any more info from Scripture. For anyone to enter the kingdom who hasn't heard of Jesus, they have the revelation in creation (Rom 1:18-20 NIV), doing good works (Rom 2:5-6 NIV) and their consciences bearing witness (Rom 2:15 NIV).

How do you understand John 17:3 (NIV), "Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent"?

For me, that's about as close as the Scriptures allow me to get in knowing the destiny of those who haven't heard of Christ.

Oz

Last edited:
Jesus=>If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.

Justice to the nations - With light comes accountability.
"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.

The blessings of God as well as the wrath of God are part of the gospel message. As in the first covenant curses and blessings.

So if there truly is one who has never heard of Jesus He will make a judgment concerning them and nothing is hidden from Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back