Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where is that in the bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I had a couple questions about where somethings are in the bible.

Where does the bible tell us to have alter calls? Or what about the sinners prayer, where is that in the bible? Since these things are not in the bible are they ok(I believe they are good for your flock). But to most are these things ok since the scriptures don't say it?

biblecatholic said:

Where does the bible tell us to have alter calls? Or what about the sinners prayer, where is that in the bible? Since these things are not in the bible are they ok(I believe they are good for your flock). But to most are these things ok since the scriptures don't say it?
I used to be in a church where they had Alter calls. now my pastor just calls it an invitation, and has the people who want to accept Christ as their Saviour, insted of coming up to the front, they repeat a prayer after him (the sinners prayer) which is just a prayer that you aknowledge that you are a sinner in need of a Saviour and aknowledge what Christ did for you and me, and ask him to come into your heart and save you. There is nothing wrong with either in my opinion, because how else is the church going to invite people that are there, to accept the Lord? When people come up for Alter calls it's usually to make a public profession of what you just did or what you are going to do, and to receive prayer. It may not be in the Bible but they work as far as bringing people to the Lord.

I was under the assumption that an alter call and an Invitation were the same. There may be something in the Bible that confirms this, so I will research it.

I do know verbal confession of Faith is Biblical:

Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

It's not something people just get up and do without being fed the word and being prompted by the HS to do so.

It takes a changed heart to confess Faith... and mean it! :angel:

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

biblecatholic said:

Where does the bible tell us to have alter calls?

It doesn't. We are just required to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

biblecatholic said:
Or what about the sinners prayer, where is that in the bible? Since these things are not in the bible are they ok(I believe they are good for your flock). But to most are these things ok since the scriptures don't say it?

There is no sinner's prayer. Rather, it says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

You don't need to pray to be saved. Rather, there is a moment in time when one realizes they been called and Christ accepted them by His atoning work on the cross---- then from there, their faith increases (or should) as they grow. Faith is a constant action, not bounded by time.

Now here's my question I've been asking. Where in the bible does it say to worship the birth of Christ on December 25th with all kinds of decorations including greenery, trees, and images of a nativity (with wise men inappropriately placed there)?

Hmm, this is an invitation of sorts:

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Now here's my question I've been asking. Where in the bible does it say to worship the birth of Christ on December 25th with all kinds of decorations including greenery, trees, and images of a nativity (with wise men inappropriately placed there)?
Woohoo, one of my favorite subjects... It doesn't!

Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
Jer 10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Where does it say Jesus was crucified on a Friday? ;-) ;-)

LOL Tim, look up, we posted at the same time!

An alter call is nothing more then a public announcement that you are coming to Christ. Casting all your cares unto Him.

Mat 10:33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Mat 10:32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

David also believed in a confession of faith:

Psa 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
Psa 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Psa 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Psa 51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
Psa 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Psa 51:8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
Psa 51:9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
Psa 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psa 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Psa 51:12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
Psa 51:13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
Psa 51:14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
Psa 51:15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
Psa 51:16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
Psa 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Psa 51:18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
Psa 51:19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

But since there is no time where it says "alter call" or "sinners prayer" or to "accept Jesus in your heart" specifically are these things not biblical.

On the Christmas and good friday thing, start a new tread and I'll jump in

biblecatholic said:
But since there is no time where it says "alter call" or "sinners prayer" or to "accept Jesus in your heart" specifically are these things not biblical.
We do have this:

Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

So how does He dwell in our heart if not invited? We can also clear up the fact that the Bible doesn't specifically mention an Invitation by reminging you that nowhere in the Bible do we find Trinity.

On the Christmas and good friday thing, start a new tread and I'll jump in
If you like, I can find you two threads where this was discussed in detail. It may take me a moment... or two. 8-)

on the stuff i mentioned about it not being in the bible, i also agree that the Trinity is not in the bible. I just wanted to throw these things out there to show that not everyones beliefs are spelled out in the bible.

biblecatholic said:
on the stuff i mentioned about it not being in the bible, i also agree that the Trinity is not in the bible. I just wanted to throw these things out there to show that not everyones beliefs are spelled out in the bible.

Biblecatholic,
Protestants have long recognized that the majority of anyones theology is not by direct biblical statements but by implication. As you mentioned, even the doctrine of the trinity is implied in the scriptures but not directly stated.

mondar, that was originally my support for doctrines where there is Biblical silence on a specific word or phrase.

vic c. said:
So how does He dwell in our heart if not invited? We can also clear up the fact that the Bible doesn't specifically mention an Invitation by reminding you that nowhere in the Bible do we find Trinity.

vic C. said:
mondar, that was originally my support for doctrines where there is Biblical silence on a specific word or phrase.

Vic,
Here's a link that sums up your point rather nicely...

The word Trinity is not in the Bible

Some critics of the Trinity doctrine claim that since the word "trinity" is not found in the Bible, it isn't true. Furthermore, some assert that if God wanted us to believe in the Trinity He would have stated the doctrine clearly.
First of all, it is illogical to claim that since the word "Trinity" is not found in the Bible that its concept is not taught therein. This kind of objection usually demonstrates a prejudice against the teaching of the Trinity. Instead, the person should look to God's word to see if it is taught or not.
Second, there are many biblical concepts that people believe in that don't have a specific word describing them used in the Bible. For example, the word "bible" is not found in the Bible, but we use it anyway to describe the Bible. Likewise, the words "omniscience," which means "all knowing," "omnipotence," which means "all powerful," and "omnipresence," which means "present everywhere," are words not found in the Bible either, but we use them to describe the attributes of God. We don't have to see a specific word in the Bible in order for the concept it describes to be true.

Following are other words that the Bible does not use but the concepts are mentioned.

* Atheism is the teaching that there is no God. "The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God" (Psalm 14:1).

* Divinity which means divine quality or godlike character. Yet, we speak of the godlike quality of the Lord God. See Psalm 139.

* Incarnation which means the word (God) who became flesh. Yet, this is definitely taught in the Bible (John 1:1,14).

* Monotheism is the teaching that there is only one God (Isaiah 43:10; 44:8).

* Rapture is the teaching that the Christians who are alive when Jesus returns will be caught up to meet Him in the air (1 Thess. 4:16-18).

So, to say that the Trinity isn't true because the word isn't in the Bible is an invalid argument. Furthermore, to say that if God wanted us to believe in the Trinity He would have clearly taught it in scripture, is also an invalid argument. Something does not have to be clearly formulated in the Bible to be valid. Not all things taught in the Bible are perfectly clear. Take a look at the book of Revelation. It contains many things that are cryptic that must be interpreted after examining all of the Bible. Even then, there are disagreements as to what some things mean. Yet, we know that the truths there are true whether or not we discover them.

biblecatholic said:
Nor is the word Bible in the Bible!

vic C. said:
sorry for digressing from biblecatholic's OP.
Hey, always glad to help.
erm.gif
umm...

biblecatholic said:

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

The so-called "sinner's prayer" is a vain repititious prayer. Matthew 6:7 warns against using such prayers.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back