Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHO IS JESUS' FATHER?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In reply to a post, a new member Prycejosh1987 brought up a good question:
WHO is the Father of Jesus?

Which brings up many points:
Is the 2nd person of the Trinity the same person as Jesus?
Does the 2nd person of the Trinity have a father?
Does Jesus have a father and who would he be?

Something to think about.
It would be interesting to know what you all think.
I think the one on the throne in heaven is the one Jesus calls His Father. He never referred to the Holy Spirit as His Father.

To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Revelation Holds to the testimony that Jesus the Son of Man Gave.
and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father--to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

The way I see it, we have the Father/Son/Holy Spirit. The most High is the Father. The son is Jesus and even in His flesh man form...Emmanuel with us, remember. And The Holy Spirit who is a distinct person and everywhere.

Here's where it gets sticky, lol. Jesus told us that He will never leave us or forsake us, therefore He is always present with us. The Holy Spirit is everywhere so He is always with us...But! Do you realize that the Father is always with us also?

Jesus spelled it all out in scripture.. For one thing, Jesus said that hHe never says or does anything except what He hears the Father say, and what He sees Him do. Sounds like He's close huh?

Another thing. Seems very clear.

John 14:5-10

5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.../

Verse 7 If you know Jesus then you should have been recognizing the Father also! From now on you will...

Philip: Show us!

Jesus: I have been with you for a long time now and you still don't recognize the Father?! Apparently at one time or another, The Father has been teaching Philip and the Disciples...and they did not see the Father within Jesus.

So all three of the Godhead are always present. :confused2

Jesus is the only begotten of the Father. That the Father is called the Father means He has an offspring. That is the Son, Jesus. He was begotten before creation. That's all there is, the Father and the Son.

wondering,

How does your question relate to Jesus' statement: 'I and the Father are one' (John 10:20 NIV)?

Oz

wondering,

How does your question relate to Jesus' statement: 'I and the Father are one' (John 10:20 NIV)?

Oz
I think you meant John 10:30
It relates to this. If the Father is living in Jesus and Jesus stated He was then it is by "His Spirit". Jesus didn't state the Holy Spirit and He are one ever and He didn't call the Holy Spirit His Father. Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit.

What you should see is this.
Matt:10:20
...for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

Further more Jesus stated in John "What about the one the Father set apart as His own and sent into the world" Which begs the question "If Jesus always was and always was God and there is only one how then did He become the Son?"

Fathers promise "In these last days I will pour our My Spirit...."

So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

Jesus - The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me....

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.

Its clear to me while Jesus refers to the HS as another from Himself the Father does not. It is also clear to the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is the Spirit of the Father.

No mention of the Spirit.
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"

The Spirit does speak only what He hears and bears witness to Jesus as in those who listen and learn from the Father go to Jesus. Which fulfills "they shall all be taught by God"

Jesus told His accusers, those that didn't believe in Him, "All that the Father gave Him would come to Him" and elsewhere stated to the Father, "they were yours you gave them to me"

I think you meant John 10:30
It relates to this. If the Father is living in Jesus and Jesus stated He was then it is by "His Spirit". Jesus didn't state the Holy Spirit and He are one ever and He didn't call the Holy Spirit His Father. Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit.

What you should see is this.
Matt:10:20
...for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

Further more Jesus stated in John "What about the one the Father set apart as His own and sent into the world" Which begs the question "If Jesus always was and always was God and there is only one how then did He become the Son?"

Fathers promise "In these last days I will pour our My Spirit...."

So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.

Jesus - The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me....

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.

Its clear to me while Jesus refers to the HS as another from Himself the Father does not. It is also clear to the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is the Spirit of the Father.

No mention of the Spirit.
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"

The Spirit does speak only what He hears and bears witness to Jesus as in those who listen and learn from the Father go to Jesus. Which fulfills "they shall all be taught by God"

Jesus told His accusers, those that didn't believe in Him, "All that the Father gave Him would come to Him" and elsewhere stated to the Father, "they were yours you gave them to me"

You are correct that I was referring to John 10:30. However, you have too many unorthodox views of the Trinity in your post for me to take the time to expose them. :nono:shrug

Okay, let me begin with Matthew 28:19.
MATTHEW 29:19 EXPLAINED- THE FATHER GAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT TO CHRIST, SO THAT CHRIST COULD BAPTIZE US WITH HIS OWN SPIRIT (LIFE).
When we read verses on their own, taken out of context, all sorts of beliefs and doctrines can be made from them. But when we read scripture IN CONTEXT, taking the WHOLE council of God, then we can learn the TRUTH. So what is the truth concerning Matthew 28:19? When you read it in context, using scripture to interpret scripture, then you see the clear truth, and it is beautiful!
What is the reason that Christ instructed the disciples to "baptize all nations in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"? (Matthew 28:19). Let's read Matthew 28:18-20 in context and you will see some interesting points:
Matthew 28:18-20 ...'And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, ALL POWER IS GIVEN TO UNTO ME in heaven and in earth. Go ye THEREFORE, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, even unto the end of the world. Amen'.
Did you notice the connection? Let's take note of what Jesus said. He said that "ALL PPOWER is "GIVEN" to Him. And what did He say next? "THEREFORE ... go and baptize in the name of ..." what does the word "therefore" mean? It means that what is said next is BASED ON what was said before. So the baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is based on Jesus " receiving ALL POWER." Do you see that? Now what is that 'POWER' which Jesus was to receive? Well, Jesus finishes Matthew 28 with the words ... "I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS." Interesting! So let us see what this 'power' is that Jesus RECEIVED. What did Jesus tell the disciples before He ascended to heaven?
Luke 24:49
Acts 1:4-5
Do you see what the 'POWER' and 'promise of the Father is? It is the Holy Spirit, which the disciples were to wait for the 'outpouring' of in Jerusalem. Peter even furnishes us with very clear information as to what happened and what was given at Pentecost. Acts 2:32-33.

Let's go to John 14:15-17.
THE COMFORTER
Nearly all denominations teach only the first part of the promise of the Comforter, which is John 14:16-17. But what does the full promise of John 14:16-23 say about who our comforter is? Our Lord Jesus Christ expressly said that He Himself would come to us (John 14:18) and be in us (John 14:20), for He would manifest Himself to us (John 14:21-22). See the full promise for yourself:
John 14:16-23
Did Christ proclaim that He Himself is our Comforter? Any Biblical question must be answered with Biblical definitions, not human traditions for all of the Comforter passages from John chapter 14 to chapter 16:
(Question) John 14:16 - Who is the "Comforter" (Greek: parakletos)?
(Answer) - 1John 2:1..'My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate (Greek: parakletos) wit the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:'
"Let them link up
with one another and with Christ.
Now take a look at Jesus on words ...John14:10 ...'Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but Father that dwelleth in me. he doeth the works.' You see? Jesus Christ and the Father. And it is THE FATHER that dwells in Jesus and in us. In other words, the Spirit of the Father that dwells in us.

Ask more questions, I let the Bible answered you my friend.
Please clarify.
Are you saying that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God Father and is NOT an individual person?
(in a previous post it seemed to me that you were saying the Holy Spirit is indeed an individual person).

Also, I understand Paraklete to be someone that walks beside you...
This is commonly understood to be the Holy Spirit in the N.T. writings.

The ADVOCATE is commonly understood to be Jesus in N.T. writings.

Definition
  1. summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
    1. one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
    2. one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
      1. of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
    3. in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
      1. of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom

The biblical passage is literally, This is My Son with whom I am well pleased.
All there is, is identification.
The only BEGOTTEN §Son of the Father.
The 2nd person of the Trinity always existed.
Jesus is the Son in human form....He is still the Son of God, as in the 2nd Person.

The way I see it, we have the Father/Son/Holy Spirit. The most High is the Father. The son is Jesus and even in His flesh man form...Emmanuel with us, remember. And The Holy Spirit who is a distinct person and everywhere.

Here's where it gets sticky, lol. Jesus told us that He will never leave us or forsake us, therefore He is always present with us. The Holy Spirit is everywhere so He is always with us...But! Do you realize that the Father is always with us also?

Jesus spelled it all out in scripture.. For one thing, Jesus said that hHe never says or does anything except what He hears the Father say, and what He sees Him do. Sounds like He's close huh?

Another thing. Seems very clear.

John 14:5-10

5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.../

Verse 7 If you know Jesus then you should have been recognizing the Father also! From now on you will...

Philip: Show us!

Jesus: I have been with you for a long time now and you still don't recognize the Father?! Apparently at one time or another, The Father has been teaching Philip and the Disciples...and they did not see the Father within Jesus.

So all three of the Godhead are always present. :confused2
Good post Ed.
Although every person in the Trinity has a separate work to do and is a separate person,,,
they also are one in God Father...they are all in Father, even though each individual.

If this were not so, there would exist 3 distinct Gods.

It helps me to think of God as one BEING but with 3 personalities that are somehow each a person.

Please clarify.
Are you saying that the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God Father and is NOT an individual person?
(in a previous post it seemed to me that you were saying the Holy Spirit is indeed an individual person).

Also, I understand Paraklete to be someone that walks beside you...
This is commonly understood to be the Holy Spirit in the N.T. writings.

The ADVOCATE is commonly understood to be Jesus in N.T. writings.

Definition
  1. summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
    1. one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
    2. one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
      1. of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
    3. in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
      1. of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom
The original creed had the Spirit proceeds from the Father. The eastern orthodox church still holds to that creed. Acts 2 supports and states the Spirit Jesus sent He received from the Father.

The "Father" in the OT and NT states or calls the Spirit His own as in "My Spirit". Jesus never did and speaks of the Spirit as another perhaps that's why it was reasoned a "person"?

"Fathers" promise -In the last days I will pour out "My Spirit"...

Its difficult to believe that the Host of Heaven in the presence of the Father and Son would forget to honor the "person" of the Spirit.

Good post Ed.
Although every person in the Trinity has a separate work to do and is a separate person,,,
they also are one in God Father...they are all in Father, even though each individual.

If this were not so, there would exist 3 distinct Gods.

It helps me to think of God as one BEING but with 3 personalities that are somehow each a person.

It helped me to remember the story in Mark chapter 5 where Jesus cast out a Legion of demons into a herd of swine. That's 2000 demons I'm pert sure, so that's a lot to be possessing one person!

What it amounts to is, this is an aspect of the spiritual realm that we just don't fully understand yet. But apparently spirits can merge together into one. We see examples of evil spirits doing it. We know that we become one with God's Spirit...One Spirit, one faith, one body, He is the head and we are the body, but all of one Spirit.

Sooo...I can't explain it or even fully understand it, but I don't have to be able to to trust in my Lord and one day I'll get to know how the spiritual realm works. So God is one and has three different personas. I'm cool with that. :shades[/QUOTE]

Good post Ed.

wondering,

I am troubled by this kind of statement as it seems to conflict with: the Father is God; the Son is God; the Holy Spirit is God, and God is One.

They are not 'one in God the Father'. They are 3 persons in the one God.

See my article: How to understand three persons in the Trinity

Oz

To understand that the Holy Spirit is not an other person I have to write it down completely.

Pip,

How come?

Wouldn't it be better to go to Scripture to discern that attributes of a person in the Holy Spirit? Here are some examples:

God the Holy Spirit is a person
Like the Father and the Son, the Holy Spirit had attributes of personhood. ‘He’ was not an impersonal ‘it’.

clip_image016[2]
John 14:26 demonstrates the Holy Spirit ‘reminds’ and teaches: ‘But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you’.

clip_image026
Ephesians 4:30 expresses the feelings of the Holy Spirit: ‘And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption’. Also, ‘and so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven’ (Matt 12:31). The Spirit can be insulted: ‘So think how much more punishment people deserve who show their hate for the Son of God—people who show they have no respect for the blood sacrifice that began the new agreement and once made them holy or who insult the Spirit of God’s grace’ (Heb 11:29 ERV).

clip_image020[2]
This is another dimension of the Holy Spirit’s feelings: ‘Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers’ (Acts 9:31).

1 Corinthians 12:11 demonstrates that the Holy Spirit has a will to dispense the gifts: ‘It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have’ (NLT).

clip_image025[1]
John 16:13 refers to the ‘Spirit of truth’ with the Greek masculine, ekeinos, i.e. ‘He’ and not ‘it’, although pneuma (Spirit) is neuter gender: ‘But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come’ (NIV)

The Person of the Holy Spirit has the attributes of being a ‘he’ who guides, speaks and hears.

clip_image027
There is more NT evidence that the Spirit ‘searches, knows, speaks, testifies, reveals, convinces, commands, strives, moves, helps, guides, creates, recreates, sanctifies, inspires, intercedes, orders the affairs of the church, and performs miracles (see Gen 6:3; Luke 12:12; John 3:8; 16:7-8; Acts 8:29; Rom 8:26; 1 Cor 2:11; Eph 4:30; 2 Peter 1:21, etc’.

Oz

Last edited:
Jehovah is the personal name of God. So I will go and see in Wikipedia what they say about the meaning.
Wikipedia probably isn’t the best source.
In Hebrew, the name is YHVH (yud hey vav hey)
In English, it is most commonly translated LORD. Depending on translation and usage, in other places it is also translated as Jehovah/Yahweh . Please note, English is noun based. Hebrew is Verb based. Thus, LORD is not really a noun, it’s a verb even though it’s treated as a noun in the English language.

To better understand Gods name, it’s pertinent to understand that the Hebrew language is pictorial. Each letter represents an idea or collection of thoughts. When letters are combined, it forms a collection of thoughts and ideas. As a result, to understand Gods name, you first have to understand what the letters are conveying.

Wikipedia probably isn’t the best source.
In Hebrew, the name is YHVH (yud hey vav hey)
In English, it is most commonly translated LORD. Depending on translation and usage, in other places it is also translated as Jehovah/Yahweh . Please note, English is noun based. Hebrew is Verb based. Thus, LORD is not really a noun, it’s a verb even though it’s treated as a noun in the English language.

To better understand Gods name, it’s pertinent to understand that the Hebrew language is pictorial. Each letter represents an idea or collection of thoughts. When letters are combined, it forms a collection of thoughts and ideas. As a result, to understand Gods name, you first have to understand what the letters are conveying.
My brother Stovebolts, our God is a God that don't let us know everything that we want to know. Do you remember when God tell Moses to go back to Egypt? Do you remember what God was about to do to Moses? It is exactly what will happen to us if we really want to insist to know something that isn't relevant at this moment. What God has told us to do many of us don't do it. God says to Moses:" Tell them that my name is Abraham, Isaac and Jacob". The whole world must called Go so. The day we begin our prayers like this: " God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob .......... I ask you all these in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. If we do it wit all our hearts, we shall never don't get an answer from our Almighty God.
See on YouTube. Kamal Saleem: A Muslim cries. God bless you and your family. Happy Sabbath.

My brother Stovebolts, our God is a God that don't let us know everything that we want to know. Do you remember when God tell Moses to go back to Egypt? Do you remember what God was about to do to Moses? It is exactly what will happen to us if we really want to insist to know something that isn't relevant at this moment. What God has told us to do many of us don't do it. God says to Moses:" Tell them that my name is Abraham, Isaac and Jacob". The whole world must called Go so. The day we begin our prayers like this: " God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob .......... I ask you all these in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. If we do it wit all our hearts, we shall never don't get an answer from our Almighty God.
See on YouTube. Kamal Saleem: A Muslim cries. God bless you and your family. Happy Sabbath.
God did not say His name was Abraham, Isaac and Jacob rather it was written
The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you. Perhaps that was what you meant?

The ones that God calls His children are those born not of natural decent, nor a husbands will nor human decision but born of God. That is how God writes on the hearts of the people the covenant Jesus introduced in Israel by His blood. Apart from that inward circumcision of the Spirit by the hand of God no one is in any covenant relationship with God.

If you received that gift by faith in Jesus as one who believes in Him you can start your prayers with "Holy Father" as we are the children of the living God. For God gave the right for those that believe in Jesus to be called the children of God. Others were cut off because of unbelief.
As Jesus testified the worshipers the "Father" seeks are those who worship in spirit and in truth. A time came long ago at Jesus's words that the worship of the "Father" would not be in a certain place but in spirit and in truth.

God did not say His name was Abraham, Isaac and Jacob rather it was written
The LORD, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you. Perhaps that was what you meant?

The ones that God calls His children are those born not of natural decent, nor a husbands will nor human decision but born of God. That is how God writes on the hearts of the people the covenant Jesus introduced in Israel by His blood. Apart from that inward circumcision of the Spirit by the hand of God no one is in any covenant relationship with God.

If you received that gift by faith in Jesus as one who believes in Him you can start your prayers with "Holy Father" as we are the children of the living God. For God gave the right for those that believe in Jesus to be called the children of God. Others were cut off because of unbelief.
As Jesus testified the worshipers the "Father" seeks are those who worship in spirit and in truth. A time came long ago at Jesus's words that the worship of the "Father" would not be in a certain place but in spirit and in truth.
My brother, before that you write something, examine the scriptures. You have say that God did NOT .......
Okay read Exodus 3:14-15. My brother don't let God be as a liar.?

Back