Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who made God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My answer to this question, 'Who made God?' proposes 2 approaches:

1. It commits a category mistake. Listen to Sean McDowell's explanation at:

Examples include:
  • How much does a musical note weigh? Musical notes make a sound while weights measure mass. They are 2 different categories and we must not confuse them. If I said a musical note weighs 10 grams, you’d have every reason to consult a psychiatrist. Musical notes and weights are 2 different categories of things and we must not confuse the two.
  • McDowell gave another example of a category fallacy: What does the colour pink taste like? Again it’s a category mistake. Colours don’t have taste.
  • Similarly, to ask, ‘Who made God?’ is a category mistake. It only makes sense to ask who made something of things that can be made such as a chair or a pair of shoes.
Here are a couple more examples of a category mistake by Matt Slick:
  • ‘To say that "the rock is alive" assigns the category of life to that which is not alive’.

• Another example would be to say that an idea is the color blue. It mistakenly applies the category of color to a concept in the mind.

Or, where is the bachelor’s wife? That’s a category mistake because by definition, a bachelor is a bachelor because he doesn’t have a wife.

2. That leads to a second way to answer this question of who made God:

• God, by definition, cannot be made. If he were created he wouldn’t be God. It’s like asking, ‘Who made the uncreatable, eternal maker of the universe?'

• Only things that have a beginning, whether that be the manufacture of a motor vehicle, the conception of a baby, the making of a Laptop computer or the start of the universe, need a designer. Only these kinds of items and people need a creator.
Oz

To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz
see we do need to answer atheists

My answer to this question, 'Who made God?' proposes 2 approaches:

1. It commits a category mistake. Listen to Sean McDowell's explanation at:

Examples include:
  • How much does a musical note weigh? Musical notes make a sound while weights measure mass. They are 2 different categories and we must not confuse them. If I said a musical note weighs 10 grams, you’d have every reason to consult a psychiatrist. Musical notes and weights are 2 different categories of things and we must not confuse the two.
  • McDowell gave another example of a category fallacy: What does the colour pink taste like? Again it’s a category mistake. Colours don’t have taste.
  • Similarly, to ask, ‘Who made God?’ is a category mistake. It only makes sense to ask who made something of things that can be made such as a chair or a pair of shoes.
Here are a couple more examples of a category mistake by Matt Slick:
  • ‘To say that "the rock is alive" assigns the category of life to that which is not alive’.

• Another example would be to say that an idea is the color blue. It mistakenly applies the category of color to a concept in the mind.

Or, where is the bachelor’s wife? That’s a category mistake because by definition, a bachelor is a bachelor because he doesn’t have a wife.

2. That leads to a second way to answer this question of who made God:

• God, by definition, cannot be made. If he were created he wouldn’t be God. It’s like asking, ‘Who made the uncreatable, eternal maker of the universe?'

• Only things that have a beginning, whether that be the manufacture of a motor vehicle, the conception of a baby, the making of a Laptop computer or the start of the universe, need a designer. Only these kinds of items and people need a creator.
Oz

Have u used this explanation on any atheists or your students?

If so did any of them accept it or understand it?

Im fairly certain that the hardened atheist will never budge
I can hear the hardened atheist rejecting those analogies
I can hear him saying "just cos the question is fallacious it doesn't dismiss it"
Or "where then did God come from?"

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB
What would be wrong with the answer "No one made God: God is self-existant." ?

Hospes,

I agree that God is self-existent. That's a sound biblical answer, 'God said to Moses, "I am that I am." And he said, "You must say this to the Israelites, 'I am has sent me to you"' (Ex 3:14 NET).

However, I'm discussing the origin of God with secular Aussies who don't give a hoot about the Scripture but still ask: 'Who made God'.

That's why I use 2 options for explanation:

1. Mistaken categories to ask who made God, and
  2. Only the created needs a creator. God is not a created Being.
Oz

Have u used this explanation on any atheists or your students?

If so did any of them accept it or understand it?

Im fairly certain that the hardened atheist will never budge
I can hear the hardened atheist rejecting those analogies
I can hear him saying "just cos the question is fallacious it doesn't dismiss it"
Or "where then did God come from?"

What is fallacious (erroneous) about the question: Who made God?

What is fallacious (erroneous) about the question: Who made God?

Im just imagining what a ridged atheist would say.

Cos isn't the video and yourself saying that the question of "who made God?" is a category fallacy? If not then I must of got it mixed up

I read somewhere that even if God wrote a message in the night sky using the stars, the atheist still wouldn't admit that God exists. Granted there are atheists that are open enough to change, I did. But the most i meet won't accept anything

So I was just interested to know their reactions when u have used this argument

Last edited:
You and I are made from the Earth. We are the dirt in a way, made from the elements from the earth.

I do find it amazing how thousands of years ago the bible scriptures said we are made from the dust of the earth, yet only in modern science now is it confirmed as a scientific fact we are made from the natural elements of the earth and only the elements found on this earth. We have the same elements that are in the earth.

Scientific evidence does not lead that we may have come from aliens or another galaxy. We are the elements of the dust of this planet and this is where we originated. It's just a fact.

Anyone can look up all the elements humans are made from and the elements of the soil.

Last edited:
A student in grade 6 (age 11.5 years) asked me this question when I was having lunch with the family. This is no theoretical issue for me.

As for the Kalam Cosmological Argument which William Lane Craig uses and promotes, that is an apologetic for the existence of God. It is not an apologetic for the origin of God - in my understanding.

Oz
No it is not an explanation, but if one has someone who reluctantly has admitted to there being immaterial things the kalam challenges them as to how the universe began and by implication hat God is pre-existing. That prepares them for the biblical claim that God has always existed.

To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz
"If" the Father has a beginning it could not be by any other being.

"You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.

NNS,

Which God? Allah? The God of Hinduism? or the God of Oneness Pentecostals?

Oz

My journey as a Christian started first with acknowledging that God is real. Then I descided to look for what is from God, meaning which religion(s) are from Him. The logic is that if God is real and He interacts with us, (answers prayer and has a few other interactions with us), then it would be likely that He also have allowed a written record to be from Him do multiple generations could have a foundation of what He wants to say to us.

Because of this my answer to which God eoukd be for them to search for Him on their own, like I did, and with the encouragement that if I could find God, then so can they.

I don't have a better response then this right now, but I have told a few atheists this that replied that they have searched for God and never found Him. Some said they searched for years. Unfortunately I don't have a better answer then to encourage people to search on their own. If they will hear it
I would tell them that my findings are that the bible is from God, and therefore the source of creation is the Christian and Jewish God that is testified in the bible.

Im just imagining what a ridged atheist would say.

Cos isn't the video and yourself saying that the question of "who made God?" is a category fallacy? If not then I must of got it mixed up

I read somewhere that even if God wrote a message in the night sky using the stars, the atheist still wouldn't admit that God exists. Granted there are atheists that are open enough to change, I did. But the most i meet won't accept anything

So I was just interested to know their reactions when u have used this argument

Some are so hard-headed that they are not open to this reasoning. Others (although few in number) are prepared to consider such a view.

That doesn't seem to be a response from someone who is open to honest discussion. Dogmatism may work with some, but not with secular Aussies.

Does honesty work with them?

You would be surprised what the Holy Spirit can do with the truth.

JLB

Some are so hard-headed that they are not open to this reasoning. Others (although few in number) are prepared to consider such a view.
Thats right. We need to remember that not all atheists are the same. Some are still open and in transition. Just like they shouldn't tar all Christians with the same brush.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back