Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who was the serpent in the garden?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

destiny

Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtile than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

Drop down to..

14 ¶ And the LORD God said unto the serpent,
Because thou hast done this,
thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field;
upon thy belly shalt thou go,
and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life

Then look at..
Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

So God used a "beast of the field" to deceive eve? Was this beast possessed by satan? Please explain. Thanks

You're going to need to do a good bit more study on Satan and I would suggest you a. purchase a hard copy of The Nave's Topical Bible or b. download a free copy of e-Sword from e-sword.net and the free dictionary plug in of the Nave's from them. Look up Satan, Devil and serpent and study the scriptures listed there. Satan has never been the beast of the field, he is the serpent.

Satan used the serpants throat to speak to Eve.

Destiny
So God used a "beast of the field" to deceive eve? Was this beast possessed by satan? Please explain. Thanks

The serpent is non other than satan himself,what you must remember is satan goes by many names

Trees and a serpent are given in this chapter to represent men. God, in fact, calls Himself the Evergreen tree, or Fir tree in Ezekiel 31:8. To understand what, and who this serpent is, we turn to Revelation 20:2 to clear up our understanding. "And He laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan," So we see that it is Satan that is the serpent. Satan also has many other names, and in this final generation he will be known as "the Antichrist", and the "son of perdition".

Genesis 3:1 "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And He said unto the woman, "Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden"?"

Satan is "more subtil", and wiser then the ways of the world. The word "beast" does not refer only to the animal world, but all living beings, including man. When Satan asked the question to Eve, "Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" He was not asking the question for the sake of inquiring, but to draw her attention to the matter. This was much like the method that the slick car salesman, or vacuum cleaner salesman uses in breaking down the resistance of the client. He uses the questions to force the person to agree with him. So, within the questions is the key to overcoming the mental barrier, and allowing half truths to be accepted, and twisted the mind of the person to accept a lie as the truth.

Genesis 3:14 "And the Lord God said unto the serpent, "Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:"

This is God speaking to Satan. God is cursing Satan above all living creatures. This is a figure of speech, meaning you are the lowest thing of all creation.

http://www.theseason.org/genesis/genesis3.htm

th1bill said:
You're going to need to do a good bit more study on Satan and I would suggest you a. purchase a hard copy of The Nave's Topical Bible or b. download a free copy of e-Sword from e-sword.net and the free dictionary plug in of the Nave's from them. Look up Satan, Devil and serpent and study the scriptures listed there. Satan has never been the beast of the field, he is the serpent.

th1bill - Genesis 3:1 "Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made..."

Genesis 3:14 "The Lord God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, cursed are you more than all cattle, and more than every beast of the field; on your belly you will go, and dust you will east all the days of your life"

If God's curse to the serpent was that the serpent would now go "on your belly", that would suggest that the serpent did have legs of some type. - and God refers to the serpent twice as being from the 'beast of the field'.

um folks, for those of you who don't know Destiny,

I'm quite sure Destiny placed the OP here as a topic to be discussed as to your thoughts on the topic and not for you to think she doesn't know her bible. IMO, She is a scholar NOT a novice.

God bless.

The serpent in the story is supposed to be Satan.

I don't see this as a literal story of an actual event. I see it as an example of one of the stories the ancient Hebrews used to tell students. There are many parts of the story that read too simple to be realistic, . . . to many variables left out or left with obvious implications or questions.

But please, continue on with the thread.

Relic said:

I'm quite sure Destiny placed the OP here as a topic to be discussed as to your thoughts on the topic and not for you to think she doesn't know her bible. IMO, She is a scholar NOT a novice.

God bless.

Thanks Relic ...My dream is to some day be a scholar :-D

My suspicion after reading closer is that satan took possession of this 'serpent' --or, 'beast of the field' and used it to deceive Eve.
I mostly just wanted to see what others thought, I personally won't be debating it. My husband is actually the one who called it to my attention.

destiny said:
Relic said:

God bless.

Thanks Relic ...My dream is to some day be a scholar :-D

My suspicion after reading closer is that satan took possession of this 'serpent' --or, 'beast of the field' and used it to deceive Eve.
I mostly just wanted to see what others thought, I personally won't be debating it. My husband is actually the one who called it to my attention.

I agree, Satan took possession of the "serpent". Satan uses whatever means of possession he can to get to us.

destiny said:
Gen 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtile than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

Drop down to..

14 ¶ And the LORD God said unto the serpent,
Because thou hast done this,
thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field;
upon thy belly shalt thou go,
and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life

Then look at..
Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

I do not think that God used, but rather allowed in the same manner that God allowed Satan to shift Job.

I would suggest that the beast was possessed by Satan - hence the ability for the animal to speak and be understood.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back