Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Who's On The Narrow Road?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So...if we've died in Christ (no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me) then we're among the few who are chosen? (many are called, few are chosen). And then we're on the narrow road, having been taken off the broad road by Christ?

So...if we've died in Christ (no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me) then we're among the few who are chosen? (many are called, few are chosen). And then we're on the narrow road, having been taken off the broad road by Christ?

Many people start with the question what does it mean to be born again, or how do we live after the Spirit. But a good place to start is by asking yourself what does it mean to be dead in Christ? How do we know we are dead in Christ?

Why would it be difficult then with only few finding the life it leads to, if it is impossible to go astray from it?

I still think your question is a little confusing and jumbled up, but I will answer it in this way: Because they do so without a covering.

I still think your question is a little confusing and jumbled up, but I will answer it in this way: Because they do so without a covering.

So they go astray because they have no covering?

So they go astray because they have no covering?

No. See, I told you your question was confusing. Maybe you should rephrase it.

For those that pass through the narrow gate; the way is difficult, and yet impossible to go astray because they go forth without a covering.

What is dead may never die. If I have found my death, how shall I die again?

Here is what Paul wrote about this.

...but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God

13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. Romans 6:13

JLB

No. See, I told you your question was confusing. Maybe you should rephrase it.

For those that pass through the narrow gate; the way is difficult, and yet impossible to go astray because they go forth without a covering.

So your saying it's impossible to go astray from the difficult way that leads to life?

If it's impossible to go astray from the difficult way that leads to life, then why are there so few who find the life the difficult way leads to?

JLB

I could write volumes about how sects have constructed their own "narrow path" and then command that others must walk upon those constructions or else they are on the path of destruction. Seriously. I think anyone who has had any kind of various exposures to these types of constructs knows what I'm speaking of.

And it occurred to me that with all of these claims, all I had to do was to observe their intentions to others, and SEE the destruction that they themselves were standing on, to others.

Then I knew, I SAW, where they actually stood. The many many. Yet they can not see it, and think they are on the narrow road to life, when in fact their fruit betrays them, that they are not standing where they think they stand, and instead construct their wide path of destruction to others, just as clear as could be.

Look where you are STANDING. If it is on LIFE, you're good. It's perceived in how and what you measure to others.

IF however that path you think you're standing on is just good for you and no one else who doesn't stand "like you" and "all others" are standing on destruction, I might suggest a gut/reality check may be in order because you are in fact standing on destruction.

It's a simple lesson. Life begets LIFE. If your intention is to destroy others, then destruction begets destruction, and this will multiply to you.

I've met some very vile religious people in my life. People who proclaimed that if I didn't believe Jesus' name was spelled a certain way, or pronounced a certain way, them I'm heading to hell for sure. Charismatics, who believed if I didn't speak in tongues, then I'm heading to hell. Pentacostals who said if I didn't believe that it was Jesus Only, then I'm heading to hell. People who claimed I had to believe only their authorities, and never question them, or else, hell or at least potential hell. Or religious personality cults. Same things. Over and over, again and again, I could write volumes about people, religious people, who tried their darndest to DESTROY me. Yet none of them saw the path of destruction they themselves were standing on. They all thought they were just fine and all hunky dory. But none of them thought anybody else was OK. Anybody outside their little self constructed path was doomed to destruction. Yeah, I see your path. Clearly.

It's deception, plain and simple. Only LIFE Himself can bring and lead "believers" to LIFE. Whatever others have in their own hands is usually DEATH. Like a sore thumb.

We have to be careful to be (or remain) teachable. Pride easily gets in the way of learning if one is not humble enough to realize that they're wrong about something.

My question to all who have posted in this thread is this:

Is it possible, once we have entered the narrow gate, to leave the difficult way that leads to life?

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Matthew 7:13-14

Jesus said: "I am the way, the Truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

He Himself is the One who knows the way, as He is the One who leads us in the path of righteousness for His namesake.

• Can we afford to assume that we can walk according to the flesh, after we have entered the narrow gate, and expect that we will remain on the difficult way that leads to life?

It's my understanding that we need to be led by the Spirit, and walk according to the Spirit, in order to traverse the difficult way that leads to life.

I also understand there is much mercy and grace with the Lord who gave His life for each of us, and He will never put on us more than we can bear.

I also know that some of us are weak in the faith, while some are stronger than others in the faith.

I know than a baby Christians is not expected to know and do what a seasoned brother or sister may know and required to do.

We all have our own unique "cross" that we must take up daily, to crucify the flesh, and be led by God's Spirit through this life of testing.

He who leads says, He will never leave us or forsake us, and He who began a good work in us, is faithful to complete it.

In all these things, however, I just don't see where we ever lose our own freewill to chose....

• To choose to crucify the flesh. Galatians 5:24
  • To choose to walk according to the Spirit, rather than walk according to the flesh. Galatians 5:16
  • To choose to take up our cross, or not.

Do we have a freewill to choose to yield to the Spirit?

Is it possible, once we have entered the narrow gate, to leave the difficult way that leads to life?

JLB
It is my belief, my friend, that there is a yes and no to your Question...."Is it possible, once we have entered the narrow gate, to leave the difficult way that leads to life?"

Ephesians1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."

These are those of whom God the Father chose before the foundation of the world to become the Bride of Jesus Christ. They will stay on that difficult way that leads to life.

The ones who can choose to abandon that difficult way, are those who come to Christ by the "General Call of the Gospel."...Matthew 13:20 "But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended."

The seed (person) on stoney places, is the one who can step off the difficult way, and be lost.

It is my belief, my friend, that there is a yes and no to your Question...."Is it possible, once we have entered the narrow gate, to leave the difficult way that leads to life?"

Ephesians1:3 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."

These are those of whom God the Father chose before the foundation of the world to become the Bride of Jesus Christ. They will stay on that difficult way that leads to life.

The ones who can choose to abandon that difficult way, are those who come to Christ by the "General Call of the Gospel."...Matthew 13:20 "But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended."

The seed (person) on stoney places, is the one who can step off the difficult way, and be lost.

So, you believe it is possible for a person who has entered the narrow gate, [through the general call] to go astray from the difficult way that leads to life.

I believe this as well. [Although I don't understand as you do, the General call of the Gospel]

I also believe the Lord can and will bring us back to the path, and cause us to learn from our mistakes, if we are willing.

Thank God for His grace and mercy, toward us.

He is good, and His mercy endures forever.

JLB

this still makes no sense :confused

Sorry, I hope someday I will be better with words.

If the "way is difficult" that leads to life, then why are their so few who find the life the difficult way leads to, if it is impossible to go astray from it ?

JLB

So, you believe it is possible for a person who has entered the narrow gate, [through the general call] to go astray from the difficult way that leads to life.

I believe this as well. [Although I don't understand as you do, the General call of the Gospel]

I also believe the Lord can and will bring us back to the path, and cause us to learn from our mistakes, if we are willing.

Thank God for His grace and mercy, toward us.

He is good, and His mercy endures forever.

JLB
You are absolutely right. I call the Holy Spirit the "Hound of Heaven" and praise God, that if someone should step off that narrow path, the Holy Spirit will pursue that believer with the hopes that they will return. Of course there's always "free will" for those people and they, a small number, may not get back on track.

Can you answer the questions?

• Can we afford to assume that we can walk according to the flesh, after we have entered the narrow gate, and expect that we will remain on the difficult way that leads to life?
There are "present tense" issues with walking in the flesh, in this present life.

Galatians 6:8
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Both of these statements are true for the believer, not just one side of it. There is zero cause for me to see Jesus failing anyone who has called on Him to save. Paul shows us this here:

1 Corinthians 5:5
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Same principle.

Every believer dies a real physical death in any case because of indwelling sin in the flesh and evil present with us.

Romans 8:10
And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

It's only a pity when believers fail to make a distinction. The dead body can NOT be made "better." Indwelling sin and evil present can NOT be removed. Those who think it so are deluded and dishonest. We are factually no better than any other sinner. Romans 3:9.

We may "sin less" as WE perceive sin, in external actions thereby removing ourselves from complete slaveship, which is known by the thought to word to deed cycle, but we are all quite factually sinners IN MIND regardless.

No one, no not one, is sinless in the flesh.

There is a "death" accounting that is just as sure as salvation. We die in the natural body and are then raised. And this death is because of sin, which none avoid having.

• Is it possible, once we have entered the narrow gate, to leave the difficult way that leads to life?
Many believers can not see the "construct" of the fallen believers. They see only a believer. LOOK at Paul's statement above. Who else is involved? Uh, yeah, that would be the fallen and SATAN, destroying their flesh so they can be what? Yeah, SAVED.

So, is there just a believer? Never. There is the fallen believer and the tempter/destroyer of their flesh.

And we likewise are advised that we can, in this present life, very easily become taken, ensnared, by our adversary. That does by no means equate to 'eternal death.'
1 Timothy 3:7
Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

2 Timothy 2:26

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

To me the accounting is clear. There are two parties involved in the fallen believer. ONE of them will have eternal life. The other, NOT.

There is then no reason for me to stand on the path of destruction for the fallen believer, which I believe to also be an action of the deceiver, the tempter, the blinder in the flesh, leading believers to make that false conclusion. But even in this I think such ill headed believers will be saved, regardless, because it's not just them involved in leading them to the road of destruction.

There are two very simple ways to identify "who is who" in the spiritual realm:

Romans 3:16
Destruction and misery are in their ways:

There are plenty of the above. This is where the majority of believers stand. Destruction and misery are their "middle names" and their intentions are plastered all over the place, openly, literally written and seared across their lips. And they can not see it, sadly.

Paul tells us what these do not follow:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

We can see from long standing sectarian divisions that they have no interests in peace between the parties whatsoever. They prefer to try to destroy each others. What path are they then on? Obviously the path of destruction. Not only to their disenfranchised body, but to everyone else. And this same vile thing exists in just about every 'sect.' We'd have to be blind NOT to see it.

John the Apostle tells us this about JESUS' WAYS:

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Now, we might THINK that loving between the brethren, or even the fallen, or even the unsaved is an easy matter. I happen to believe this, and HIS LOVE is not only for me, but for ALL. This is what I "share" in, DAILY.

But there is scriptural bait for the other side of the ledgers, I believe, to show believers how vile the heart can really be, and such will totally resist LOVE and instead seek eternal torture to just about everyone. And these same will also totally neglect the fact that the adversary is involved with the heart, also.

So, there, the line is drawn. I see believers and the tempter. I see the unsaved and the tempter.

I am to love ONE and always resist the OTHER.

Pretty simple. But I understand when believers can't see it. I will hope for every person, until the time that God Himself shows otherwise. Til that day I stand in HOPE of His Overwhelming Grace and Love.

And I know upon whom eternal damnation will assuredly LAND. So go for the easy target, that scripture gives, and hope the best for everyone else.

I am not interested in being eternal damner of any person. That is not my seat nor am I even interested in it one little bit. I think believer who crawl into that chair sit where they don't belong and the pride in the flesh takes them over and rules them, which I attribute to "you know who."

Last edited:
There are "present tense" issues with walking in the flesh, in this present life.

Galatians 6:8
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Here is the question I asked you -

• IOW: If we choose to walk in the flesh, fulfilling it's lust's and practicing it's works, rather than walking in the Spirit, being led by the Spirit, do you believe we will stay on the difficult path that leads to life?
What do you say?

I say no, we won't be able to navigate the difficult way that leads to life, because we are not being led by the Spirit: we won't be led in the path of righteousness for His name sake.

The Psalmist reminds me of our Shepherd as He leads us:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Psalm 23:1-3

The scriptures teach us He is the One who leads us.

The question is: do we follow where He leads us.

It's our choice.

• He knows our journey will be difficult at times, so He leads to lie down in green pastures, along the way, that we may find rest.
  • He leads besides still waters, that will refresh us and strengthen us for our journey. This speaks to me the continual need to be filled with His Spirit. He renews our minds and restores our soul, as we are filled with His Spirit.
The choice is ours to be led by the Spirit, or to live our lives gratifying the sensual desires of the flesh.

JLB

Last edited:
Here is the question I asked you -
Can you afford to stand on the path of destruction to them when Paul shows us this?

To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

I'd say don't get suckered into confusing the two parties above, which the ADVERSARY does do to believers.

Love one, hate the other.

Can you afford to stand on the path of destruction to them when Paul shows us this?

I'd say don't get suckered into confusing the two parties above, which the ADVERSARY does do to believers.

Love one, hate the other.

Can you answer the question?

Can we afford to assume that we can walk according to the flesh, after we have entered the narrow gate, and expect that we will remain on the difficult way that leads to life?
  • IOW: If we choose to walk in the flesh, fulfilling it's lust's and practicing it's works, rather than walking in the Spirit, being led by the Spirit, do you believe we will stay on the difficult path that leads to life?
What do you say?

The "such an one" that was to be delivered to Satan, was a specific person in the Church community among the Church at Corinth, who fell into sexual immorality.

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
1 Corinthians 5:1-5

He was to be delivered to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, "so that" his spirit may be saved in the day of the lord Jesus.

He had to be "delivered to Satan" for this purpose, as Satan had no right to destroy his flesh until the Church consented with Paul to "deliver him to Satan.

...when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

JLB

What does this mean?

What do you mean by "stand on the path of destruction to them"?

What does this mean?

What do you mean by "stand on the path of destruction to them"?

Scripture shows the status of the fallen believer:

How people are led to see this matter obviously varies. I chalk that up to what they themselves are "led" to see, as obviously a LOT of believers can't see what is obvious to me.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back