Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I dont care what anyone else believes! the scriptures are clear!
I only deal with scripture, not your opinion

I suppose you reject Trinitarian understandings from early church father determinations as well?

lol

If you're only dealing with scripture find a single scripture that states the flesh is evil.

Here's a hint. There is not one.

But those who hold heresy care not for correction and I really don't expect you'd care to examine the position for what it is even though there are abundant resources to examine that heresy. That is also typical with heretical beliefs.

s

I suppose you reject Trinitarian understandings from early church father determinations as well?

lol

If you're only dealing with scripture find a single scripture that states the flesh is evil.

Here's a hint. There is not one.

But those who hold heresy care not for correction and I really don't expect you'd care to examine the position for what it is even though there are abundant resources to examine that heresy. That is also typical with heretical beliefs.

s
Rom 7:14

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15

For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16

If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:20

Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21

I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22

For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23

But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Well I dont know how to convince you if you cant see it here?:toofunny

Rom 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

We like Paul should be thankful that the Law of Moses was given to the world? For by it we may all see our sin and seek Him who has paid the price for sin, Christ Jesus!

Gal 3:22

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Now we can understand the "lawful" use of the "Law"?
It can only be used by "The Righteous" and can not be laid upon those who have accepted Christ Jesus as their own "righteousness"

1Ti 1:7

Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
1Ti 1:8

But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

1Ti 1:9

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man,:clap

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

It is a violation to misquote or misrepresent another member.

Please just discuss the doctrine itself and avoid accusations of heresy. Thanks.

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

It is a violation to misquote or misrepresent another member.

Please just discuss the doctrine itself and avoid accusations of heresy. Thanks.
Did I get accused of something?:sad

Last edited by a moderator:
2Co 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8

How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

2Co 3:9

For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

The Ten Commandments was clearly that which was written in stone. Here the Law is called the ministry of death and condemnation? The purpose and power of the law, was never to make man right with God. Its purpose from when it was given, was to show all men their guilt before God. No man can serve God by the 10 commandments. Only by faith in Christ Jesus and His Work can we ever please God.

Rom 3:19

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:21

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 3:22

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: :clap

The was given to show ALL men that they could not fulfil the law and therefore were sinners and needed a savior.

The 10 Commandments are the knowledge of sin.

We as christians should be always be eatting from the Tree of Life, not from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Just like Adam and Eve were commanded.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to this question has nothing to do with my salvation...all it is going to do encourage arguments. Paul spoke about this kind of thing. Why did God do this yada yada. This forum is becoming a sounding board for speculation, and things that don't matter. What benefit if any would a Christian derive from know this question. I am sure there will be folks who will disagree with y our points. So I have decided not to answer it.. I have views concerning this question, but I believe we are here to learn, fellowship and really grow in the Lord...the answer to the question will not do any for those three areas.:sad

I learn here. Not that I always agree with what is said. But we are all studying God's Word together. I think about scripture I have not thought about in a while. I look up scripture after scripture. I'm so thankful for blueletterbible.org and biblegateway.com. What time savers they are. As I look up scriptures that others have quoted I find myself reading whole chapters and sometimes more then one. I look up the Greek and Hebrew translations of words in the Blue Letter. I'm learning all the time and solidifying my faith and obeying God, renewing my mind by reading and studying His word.
This type of forum is not for everyone. You have to be tough to survive and you can't get easily offended as I have recently. I was wrong. Being easily offended by man is sin. The people in this forum are quite skilled in the word and very capable at defending their interpretations. They are rather like amature theologians and some not so amature. But on the threads l have followed I have not been aware of any of them that don't love God and all have been Saved by the Grace of God. Good people discussing the word and sometimes their doctrine.
1 Timothy 3:16 - 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
God's word is really put to use here.

What did you mean when you said,"Paul talked about things like this. Why did God do this, yada yada."

The was given to show ALL men that they could not fulfil the law and therefore were sinners and needed a savior.

The 10 Commandments are the knowledge of sin.

We as christians should be always be eatting from the Tree of Life, not from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Just like Adam and Eve were commanded.
Yea! and you see how the two trees relate to law and grace! The peace that is Gods Righteousness! And I think Abide was referring to a scripture in Tit 3:9?

Tit 3:8

This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
Tit 3:9

But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
Tit 3:10

A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

Clearly Paul is referring to "works" and as it was then so it is now, that many have tried to make "good works " a matter of law and not of faith and love.
Also the issue of the Law and its purpose verses Faith and grace, The Spirit..etc.. Is the most discussed topic in the New Testament. Because we can most clearly see our liberty in Christ by looking at the bondage of law.

Mat 17:1

And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2

And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3

And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Mat 17:4

Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
Mat 17:5

While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Mat 17:6

And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
Mat 17:7

And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
Mat 17:8

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

Here we have Moses (The Law) and Elias (The Phophets) before God the Father on the mountain. We have Peter (The Church) who desires to honor all three and build an alter to each? The Father Speaks and to show His desire for the Church concerning His Son, He says This is My Beloved Son-Hear HIM, then the Law and Phophets disappear!

Here we may see the Will of The Father, that the Law and the Phophets were all fulfilled in Christ Jesus. That The Fathers Will is that we now Hear and See Him only!

Joh 15:12

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

"The simplicity of Christ", for all the Law is fulfilled in His Commandment!:biglol

Rom 3:19

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Gal 3:10

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11

But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12

And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Gal 3:22

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

I find it really hard to understand how satan has so blinded much of the "church" It seems so few understand what is so clear?:pray

Why did God give the Ten Commandments?

Deu 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

How does the law of gravity work? If you are in harmony with it you stand or sit upright and no harm befalls you. If you "break" the law of gravity, it breaks you.

God's law is the same, if you are in harmony with the Ten Commandments there are blessing that come from that. If you walk contrary to them, then there are atuomatic penalties for these are laws. These are laws of the universe no different than the physical laws that govern our lives.

Deu 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

How does the law of gravity work? If you are in harmony with it you stand or sit upright and no harm befalls you. If you "break" the law of gravity, it breaks you.

God's law is the same, if you are in harmony with the Ten Commandments there are blessing that come from that. If you walk contrary to them, then there are atuomatic penalties for these are laws. These are laws of the universe no different than the physical laws that govern our lives.

Well I guess The Whole of the New Testament is wrong?

Heb 10:7

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb 10:8

Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
Heb 10:9

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Heb 10:10

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. :clap

It seems unfair that God would not tell us what these automatic penalties are. Are they all the same for each person individually? Are they bigger or smaller (if you will) depending on which law was broken?

It seems unfair that God would not tell us what these automatic penalties are. Are they all the same for each person individually? Are they bigger or smaller (if you will) depending on which law was broken?

There is only one measure provided for total legal compliance for a N.T. believer. It's found in Romans 13:8-10 and is quite simple. So simple a child can understand and do.

Believers tend to get caught up in the carnal/physical aspects of the Law, but the Law as we know is spiritual both in intentions and in 'doing.' The carnal aspects are intentionally placed as a distraction to the main event, and in that the readers hearts are revealed as to which direction they are inclined to reflect.

There are many such 'setups' intentionally placed in the text.

After studying law and grace for a couple decades from both sides of the common ledgers of theology and the classic law vs. grace (and works vs. faith alone is a similar undertaking) one can certainly find scripture sets that uphold strongly either position.

It's much much harder to see that it's all fully applicable and find the harmony rather than the disputes.

s

Well I guess The Whole of the New Testament is wrong?

Heb 10:7

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb 10:8

Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
Heb 10:9

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Heb 10:10

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. :clap

Depends on what you call wrong...

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Perhaps the New Testament isn't wrong after all.

Excuse me? Have you read Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28? Do you see anything like this occurring in our country today?

Also, in our personal lives,

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

And remember that...

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

The Main Reason for all the Commandments of God, the Law, was that Christ would come in time and Keep it, for, thats the only way God's law and Commandments would receive its Greatest Honor Isa 42:21

The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

And then what?

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

And then what?

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

What you mean then what ? That was the Purpose of the Law !

Man cannot follow the example of Christ in fulfilling the Law as He did. That is why He did it.

Do you think it can be said of you ?
Isa 42:21

The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

And then what?

Now as far as suffering goes, those Christ died for it is said this of them Phil 1:29

29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back