Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Why did God make us look SO much like other primates?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Orion

When I look at most primates, it is obvious that they share a very close resemblance to humans, and I have to wonder why, when there are so many different looking creatures out there, . . . why God would make us look SO similar to "just another animal" when God COULD have given us an image that was starkly different than the other animals. :-?

Why not? And why do you assume that we were made similar to other primates when they could have been made similar to us?

lol...I completely forgot that both stories go that way, I was only thinking evolution. Regardless, why not?

Yeah, it does. :)

The reason why I bring it up is because I can't figure out why God would make us have so many similarities with THIS particular animal. Even the DNA of some are very close, which in turn makes people believe that we had a common ancestor in the distant past. If completely untrue, then it is a source of major confusion that befalls the scientific community.

Plus, as animals go, they are disgusting creatures. Go to any zoo and you'll see that fact. The primate house is usually the dirtiest and smelliest of all the displays. The only primates that don't really fit into this type of characteristics are those little tiny ones. . . marmosets and such. But if you look at a chimpanzee, it has many of the same physical characteristics as us.

Thing is, God could have made us have any look he wanted, but chose for us to look very similar to some "dirty ape" (that reference is from Planet of the Apes :tongue ).

Orion said:
Plus, as animals go, they are disgusting creatures.
Heh, sometimes humans can be just as disgusting. Many plagues were spread because of the filth that humans lived in. Some people would even brag about how few baths they had in their life. I remember reading about sewage in the Thames. The tide would being back all the sewage to London when the tides changed and people would end up drinking sewage water. (Many deaths from all of this.) People use to also throw all their trash out of their windoes into the streets.

I do like this topic. I use to wonder why life was not more diverse myself. Why not give monkeys wings and pigs tentacles? Why not put lizard eyes on a dog and hair on a lizard?

Orion said:
The reason why I bring it up is because I can't figure out why God would make us have so many similarities with THIS particular animal. Even the DNA of some are very close, which in turn makes people believe that we had a common ancestor in the distant past....Thing is, God could have made us have any look he wanted, but chose for us to look very similar to some "dirty ape" (that reference is from Planet of the Apes) .
Haven't other animals been found with just as close or closer DNA to humans? Any similarities in no way proves that evolution is true, which is what you are obviously implying. If it makes some believe that we had a common ancestor in the past, then that is to their error. Data is just data, it is largely interpreted based on preconceived notions and one reaches whatever conclusion they set out to prove; funny how that works.

Quath said:
Why not give monkeys wings and pigs tentacles? Why not put lizard eyes on a dog and hair on a lizard?
Why not make us faster than bullets, able to leap tall buildings and fly?

Life is already very diverse so why would more diversity prove the existence of a Creator any more than the life that exists? But of course your implication is that evolution has given to each as they have need and gotten rid of what wasn't needed, or beneficial, while God could have done so much more. The problem with evolution is that it is based on so much assumption.

Orion said:
When I look at most primates, it is obvious that they share a very close resemblance to humans, and I have to wonder why, when there are so many different looking creatures out there, . . . why God would make us look SO similar to "just another animal" when God COULD have given us an image that was starkly different than the other animals. :-?

Maybe god is trying to tell you something.

Free said:
Haven't other animals been found with just as close or closer DNA to humans? Any similarities in no way proves that evolution is true, which is what you are obviously implying.

Why not?

I've never really found primates to be anymore creative or inventive than many other animals, though.

I saw footage of a bird who wanted grubs burrowed in a tree. Since the bird's beak wasn't long enough, the bird actually went and selected a stick long and strong enough to be used as a poking device and eventually got the grub out.

Another bird, on a peer, used discarded bread, took it to the side, dropped it into the water, waited for fish to come get the bread, and quickly jumped into the water and came out with a fish.

Dolphins have been known to be very smart as many ocean creatures. Some otters use rocks as tools. As intelligence goes, primates don't seem much more intelligent than any other animal. You can train them to do some things, but I bet many more dogs are far more trainable than most primates.

I never once mentioned intelligence.

I used the word adaptable. You know, opposable thumbs and the ability to walk upright. ;-) Two of the many things primates have over other "land bearing" creatures.

Orion said:
I'm all ears. . . . . . . :-?

*what a funny thing if that were really the case, "being all ears". :lol:

Well, apparently most people who believe in god say that he doesn't speak audibly, so maybe communicate ideas with evidence is more like it. :wink:

I think chimps/apes are smarter. They are shown to be able to grasp more "words" than dogs. For example, Koko the gorilla is said to know 1000 signs to talk in sign language and can understand 2000 English words. In comparison Alex, is a grey parrot who only knows 100 words.

Trainability may not be a good sign of intelligence. For example, it is hard to train a cat to do anything. So they just wnd up laying around and grooming while the dog is doing tricks. Maybe the cat is smarter.... :)

One cool website I came across is http://www.animalintelligence.org/. This is a blog that is all about animal intelligence. It has some interesting stories.

Trainability may not be a good sign of intelligence. For example, it is hard to train a cat to do anything. So they just wind up laying around and grooming while the dog is doing tricks. Maybe the cat is smarter....
I can attest to that! I live with two cats. I say "live" because it's their apt., I just pay the bills. :lol:

Data is just data, it is largely interpreted based on preconceived notions and one reaches whatever conclusion they set out to prove; funny how that works.
What interpretation - other than common descent - is there for shared retroviral insertion sequences?

Haven't other animals been found with just as close or closer DNA to humans?

No. Such a finding would pretty much invalidate evolutionary theory, unless it was another ape. Gorillas are almost as close to humans as chimps.

Any similarities in no way proves that evolution is true, which is what you are obviously implying.

Just one more bit in a mountain of evidence. So much that it's unrealistic to deny it all.

The problem with evolution is that it is based on so much assumption.

Evidence. That's why scientists accept it as true. Assumptions won't work in science.

Hey, even if God created animals first, I mean, He had it all planned out, right? So then, there is nothing wrong with saying that God might have wanted apes to look similar to humans. And if He wants them to look similar, then I guess the genetic code has to be similar. Just think of everything that wouldn't exist if apes didn't exist. All the slapstick humor between monkey and man- gone! And God did create man in His own image, so why wouldn't God have a sense of humor? Anyway, that was His call.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back