Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHY ISN'T THIS GENERATION GETTING MARRIED?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Belief in the existence of God is bare minimum, what matters is your belief in his words, especially his prophecies, and your faith in his salvation. By default we naturally believe in progressivism based on evolution, that we're heading toward a utopia, we're gonna living longer, happier and wealthier, while reality is going in the opposite direction, millennials are living shorter, sadder and poorer compared to the boomer generation. It is the word of God that foretells the end time dystopia and judgement, it's not getting better, but worse.
You mean wealthier IN HEAVEN?

I don't think so.
I hope that's not what you mean Carry.

I don't plan on going shopping or buying a new diamond ring up there!
That would be pretty funny.

A few reasons, mainly centering on how no one can really even say what a "god" is (not what it does, not what it wants, etc., but what it actually is), and coupled with the claims that gods are supernatural and can do absolutely anything, makes "do gods exist" a meaningless and unanswerable question.
We don't KNOW what God is J.
We just know that He is outside of time,
Very powerful,
And personal but that's because of Jesus - or we wouldn't know that either.

A few reasons, mainly centering on how no one can really even say what a "god" is (not what it does, not what it wants, etc., but what it actually is), and coupled with the claims that gods are supernatural and can do absolutely anything, makes "do gods exist" a meaningless and unanswerable question.
PS
You don't know what gravity is....
but it's holding you down.

We don't KNOW what God is J.
We just know that He is outside of time,
Very powerful,
And personal but that's because of Jesus - or we wouldn't know that either.
If you don't know what a "god" even is, worrying about whether or not it exists is a waste of time IMO.

PS
You don't know what gravity is....
but it's holding you down.
Not at all the same. We can directly measure gravity, even to the point where it becomes a universal constant in physics equations.

Look, I understand that some people believe in gods, holy books, divine revelations, etc., and that's fine.....people believe all sorts of things. It's just not something that's ever "clicked" with me, even as a kid.

If you don't know what a "god" even is, worrying about whether or not it exists is a waste of time IMO.

Not at all the same. We can directly measure gravity, even to the point where it becomes a universal constant in physics equations.

Look, I understand that some people believe in gods, holy books, divine revelations, etc., and that's fine.....people believe all sorts of things. It's just not something that's ever "clicked" with me, even as a kid.
I know you don't like talking about this J.

But can't we even TRY to convert you?
It's such fun !
:lol

I know you don't like talking about this J.
Oh, it's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't see a point to any of it.

But can't we even TRY to convert you?
It's such fun !
:lol
LOL...keep in mind that I grew up completely immersed in Christianity. I went to church from 1 week old til I was 15, and it wasn't just Sunday services. We had Sunday night events, a Wednesday Bible study group, Saturday youth events, and 2-4 weeks of Bible camp every summer. Just about all of my relatives are Christian, as are many of my non-work friends.

So unless you've got something really new, I've probably heard it many times before. :lol

You mean wealthier IN HEAVEN?

I don't think so.
I hope that's not what you mean Carry.

I don't plan on going shopping or buying a new diamond ring up there!
That would be pretty funny.
No, I mean in this life, more money in the bank, social mobility, material possessions. How could you get that wrong?

When you look at the universe, where do you think it came from? The idea that there was a big bang for no reason, caused by nothing, and that nothing created the laws of physics and even energy itself, seems rather preposterous to me. I've always been more of a deist myself.

I hate being very serious but....
WHY can you measure gravity?
Even though we don't really know WHAT it is.
You can measure it because of the Laws of Nature that God put into place.

How could we ever know what God really is?
If Christians are right, and I think they are, then that WHAT created everything.
When I really grok it, it puts fear into me...how powerful is this God?

There are only 3 forms in the entire universe.
A circle
A curve
A straight line

How does every single physical object come from just 3 forms?

And how does something come from nothing?

It's almost too much to even think about.

For those interested:

Oh, it's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't see a point to any of it.

LOL...keep in mind that I grew up completely immersed in Christianity. I went to church from 1 week old til I was 15, and it wasn't just Sunday services. We had Sunday night events, a Wednesday Bible study group, Saturday youth events, and 2-4 weeks of Bible camp every summer. Just about all of my relatives are Christian, as are many of my non-work friends.

So unless you've got something really new, I've probably heard it many times before. :lol
There's nothing new under the sun.

When you look at the universe, where do you think it came from? The idea that there was a big bang for no reason, caused by nothing, and that nothing created the laws of physics and even energy itself, seems rather preposterous to me. I've always been more of a deist myself.
How do you explain Jesus if you're a deist?

My ideal tall, dark and handsome husband, the greatest of all romance, the missing other half that my soul longs for and my heart aches for, my prince charming in shiny armor on a white horse coming to my resuce. Don't laugh, this is the impression I get from some worship leaders who seeks to "have my fairytale dream wedding with Jesus" and "make sweet love with Jesus." You know, this kind of view could explain why their followers don't get married.

I don't. He's a bit of an anomaly. I could try to weasel my way out of it by saying that he was just a man and that's why he hasn't returned. But I'm not that rude. :tongue

Seriously though. Jesus was always a figure that I could never figure out. Its like, part of me wants to believe he's the real deal. But then there's this other part of me that just doesn't. So, it largely depends on the day and what kind of mood I'm in.

I don't. He's a bit of an anomaly. I could try to weasel my way out of it by saying that he was just a man and that's why he hasn't returned. But I'm not that rude. :tongue
Neither can I, man. I've just come to realize that on one hand, Jesus respected women, he had always been gentle and kind to various women, many women sponsored him and followed him, some followed him to his crucifixion while the disciples had fled, at the end they followed him to the tomb where he rose from the grave and appeared to them, Mary Magdalene, the first witness, was honored as the "disciple of disciples"; on the other hand, he was never married, he had no romantic attachment with any of those women, he taught celibacy as a gift - "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given". And later in 1 Cor. 7, in Paul's opinion, marriage - and dating - is rather a distraction, the only purpose is to contain carnal desire so you won't succumb to the lust of the flesh. He expected his followers to stay single and serve the lord as he was. And then, at the end, you've the wedding feast of the Lamb, which more or less implies that if you're really committed to conform to His image, you shouldn't marry or date in this life, your eternal union is with Christ in the next life. This is a big struggle for me. To be honest, I've been living in a celibate life like a monk for more than a decade, it brings me no joy, only schmaltz and agony.

Neither can I, man. I've just come to realize that on one hand, Jesus respected women, he had always been gentle and kind to various women, many women sponsored him and followed him, some followed him to his crucifixion while the disciples had fled, at the end they followed him to the tomb where he rose from the grave and appeared to them, Mary Magdalene, the first witness, was honored as the "disciple of disciples"; on the other hand, he was never married, he had no romantic attachment with any of those women, he taught celibacy as a gift - "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given". And later in 1 Cor. 7, in Paul's opinion, marriage - and dating - is rather a distraction, the only purpose is to contain carnal desire so you won't succumb to the lust of the flesh. He expected his followers to stay single and serve the lord as he was. And then, at the end, you've the wedding feast of the Lamb, which more or less implies that if you're really committed to conform to His image, you shouldn't marry or date in this life, your eternal union is with Christ in the next life. This is a big struggle for me. To be honest, I've been living in a celibate life like a monk for more than a decade, it brings me no joy, only schmaltz and agony.
He expects all of his followers to remain single even today? I've never heard of that.

He expects all of his followers to remain single even today? I've never heard of that.
"It is good for a man not to touch a woman." 1 Cor. 7:1
“I wish that all men were [unmarried] as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.” - 1 Cor. 7:7

Seriously though. Jesus was always a figure that I could never figure out. Its like, part of me wants to believe he's the real deal. But then there's this other part of me that just doesn't. So, it largely depends on the day and what kind of mood I'm in.
Doubt is a great tool used by the enemy.
Jesus could have been a person sent by God to illuminate man.
Krishna is another one, Buddha is another one.

I think it all depends on what you make of the resurrection.
Jesus is the only one that claimed to be God.

The resurrection was so that mankind could believe He is God.
Also, that makes Him the firstborn ...the firstborn of all those
that will rise in the end and receive their glorified bodies.
Although we are taught that we go to be where we belong at death.

My ideal tall, dark and handsome husband, the greatest of all romance, the missing other half that my soul longs for and my heart aches for, my prince charming in shiny armor on a white horse coming to my resuce. Don't laugh, this is the impression I get from some worship leaders who seeks to "have my fairytale dream wedding with Jesus" and "make sweet love with Jesus." You know, this kind of view could explain why their followers don't get married.
Gosh Carry.
I don't know what you're talking about.
Sounds weird.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back