Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why "rhema" and not "logos" Mt 4:4

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Tony Hyman

I have been looking for some sort of reason or "formula" (I am sure not the only one)
why some reference to the written or spoken "words" of God or Christ as written in Holy Scripture, accepted Canon.Possibly the particular audience Jew or Greek which the author had in mind Mathew - Jewish audience, John-Greek audience ect.
Taking Mt 4:4 "Christ tested or tempted" the "rhema" is used "word " yet in Mt 24: word = logos.2 Cor 2:17 word=logos.So why is it "rhema" an not "logos" in Mt4:4. Reference to Deut 8:5 is also to be considered.

Sorry Jim , Mt 24:35 "my words shall not pass away" (K.J.V.) Strong's G3056 logos
Ah so des ka!
I looked up "word" instead of "wordS".
According to Theyer's Greek Lexicon, ῥῆμα (rhēma) refers to, “The thing by which some thing is commanded, directed, enjoined”
At Mat 4:4, Jesus was speaking of the things which God commanded, directed or enjoined. ("...every word that proceeds from the mouth of God")
At Mat 24:35, "λόγοι" (logoi) refers to the things that Jesus has said which are, of course, only what the Father had given Him to say.
John 14:10b (RSV) The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

Gee thanks for that Jim. So then the distinction lies in Christ's "own words or sayings" and the words which God the father permits the Son to understand or say during the incarnation.This could help explain the debate surrounding Christ "not knowing" in Mt 24:36 , yet He is part of the Trinity.This is usually the argument posed by radicals who do not accept the resurrected Christ as being part of the God Head.Next time they come "a knocken" I will know how to deal with the matter,with "gentleness" in terms of I Peter 3:15 b of course, without slamming the door in their faces.

Gee thanks for that Jim. So then the distinction lies in Christ's "own words or sayings" and the words which God the father permits the Son to understand or say during the incarnation.This could help explain the debate surrounding Christ "not knowing" in Mt 24:36 , yet He is part of the Trinity.This is usually the argument posed by radicals who do not accept the resurrected Christ as being part of the God Head.Next time they come "a knocken" I will know how to deal with the matter,with "gentleness" in terms of I Peter 3:15 b of course, without slamming the door in their faces.
I have found that there is no point in being too assertive with the JWs and Mormons who come a-knockin'. People are drawn to Christ by His love, not our enthusiastic and "in your face" Biblical expository skills.

I have also found that they have been infested with a demonic cult mentality which prevents them from mentally processing any scripture or information that does not perfectly match what they have been brainwashed by their cult to believe.

iakov the fool

John 1:14 KJV
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Word spoken between Father and Son seems to be a done deal. Prophetic words spoken by a prophet happened. Word planted in a good ground heart bears fruit.

Spoken word, written word, word moved to another level, etc.

The creation word made things exist. The created things then spoke of God's nature.

Simple Mississippi folks are seeking to understand this complex subject
eddif

I've always felt that Logos represents the Christ conceived in the mind of God and come in the flesh, and Rhema represents the communication from God in the heart of an individual. Hence through the Rhema, a person believes in the Logos.
John 6:45
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back