Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Will the Jews build a Third Temple?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There is no more 'Jew'. That designation came in 400 years after faith, was used by God for a time, and has been gone for 2000 years. The next event in the biblical timeline is when Jesus appears, everyone in the world sees Him, and it's game over for the whole world. IMHO
I dont think even those from the linage as Jews believe anymore, especially as a tribe...

If a rebuilt Temple is a sign of Christ's coming, why didn't Christ say it would be rebuilt as one of the "signs" of His coming?

1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down."
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. (Matt. 24:1-4 NKJ)

Yes, the Jews will build a third Temple.

JLB
Although we disagree and I realize neither of us can convince the other, I am curious how you would explain Christ's silence on a Third Temple.

This discussion about the end resulted from His prophecy of the Temple's destruction, which context implies was seen by the disciples as a "sign of the end":

1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down."
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Matt. 24:1-3 NKJ)

Assuming the third Temple will be built, why didn't Christ say the destroyed Temple would be rebuilt?

Although we disagree and I realize neither of us can convince the other, I am curious how you would explain Christ's silence on a Third Temple.

This discussion about the end resulted from His prophecy of the Temple's destruction, which context implies was seen by the disciples as a "sign of the end":

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Matt. 24:1-3 NKJ)

Assuming the third Temple will be built, why didn't Christ say the destroyed Temple would be rebuilt?
Hi Alfred Persson

While I agree that the building of a third temple doesn't seem to be a clear teaching of the old covenant writings, I don't find the assurance of that just in the matter that Jesus didn't mention it. I mean, there are a lot of things that old covenant prophets wrote about the last days that Jesus didn't mention. He didn't say anything about Israel believing in the Messiah, but that is one that I think we find some Scriptural support for. He didn't say anything about the Jews returning to their homeland either, but there are prophecies that do deal with that.

So, I'm just not convinced that Jesus not mentioning some future event as necessarily being the end all be all of everything that is going to be happening as we move into those very last days.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Alfred Persson

While I agree that the building of a third temple doesn't seem to be a clear teaching of the old covenant writings, I don't find the assurance of that just in the matter that Jesus didn't mention it. I mean, there are a lot of things that old covenant prophets wrote about the last days that Jesus didn't mention. He didn't say anything about Israel believing in the Messiah, but that is one that I think we find some Scriptural support for. He didn't say anything about the Jews returning to their homeland either, but there are prophecies that do deal with that.

So, I'm just not convinced that Jesus not mentioning some future event as necessarily being the end all be all of everything that is going to be happening as we move into those very last days.

God bless,
Ted
That's a good point but loses force in this context because it was the destruction of the temple that made them curious about other signs of His coming.

In other words, because destruction of the Temple is a sign----rebuilding would also be a sign.

That makes rebuilding pertinent, yet Jesus says nothing about rebuilding the temple.

But thanks for answering.

That's a good point but loses force in this context because it was the destruction of the temple that made them curious about other signs of His coming.

In other words, because destruction of the Temple is a sign----rebuilding would also be a sign.

That makes rebuilding pertinent, yet Jesus says nothing about rebuilding the temple.

But thanks for answering.
Hi Alfred Persson

What I know is that for us, now some 2,000 years after the fact, to try and put ourselves in the place and what their minds were thinking at that time is at best, only a guess. Yes, we know that Jesus mentioned to his disciples, as they were marveling at the beautiful temple complex, that it would not be standing one day. Yes, we know that they then followed up that statement from Jesus with questions as to 'what' some of the signs of the destruction of the temple and of the end of the age would be. But as far as any of us being able to say with any certainty 'what' the disciples might have been thinking that would prompt such a question... well, that's a bit iffy for me.

I know that in my own life I've had occasion to think that I knew what someone was thinking that led them to do something, and often been wrong. So, I try to stay away from any theological truth that is based on, "Well, you know these guys are normal people like me and this is what I would be thinking in my head. So this must be what they were thinking when they asked Jesus a question. Not only that but I know how Jesus would have answered those questions if some certain understanding is assumed.

So again, I'm not willing to use the understanding that Jesus didn't mention something as being any sure bet that something will or won't happen. It's just possible, as I read of some of the signs that Jesus did give, that they are all not particularly specific about 'what' or 'how' the marvels in the heavens will look like. Maybe Jesus knew that telling them the temple would be rebuilt was a sign that would be too easily recognized by even the unbelievers.

Otherwise, I think we're possibly on the same page, or at least the same chapter. I don't find any sure prophecy that there will be a third temple.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Alfred Persson

What I know is that for us, now some 2,000 years after the fact, to try and put ourselves in the place and what their minds were thinking at that time is at best, only a guess. Yes, we know that Jesus mentioned to his disciples, as they were marveling at the beautiful temple complex, that it would not be standing one day. Yes, we know that they then followed up that statement from Jesus with questions as to 'what' some of the signs of the destruction of the temple and of the end of the age would be. But as far as any of us being able to say with any certainty 'what' the disciples might have been thinking that would prompt such a question... well, that's a bit iffy for me.

I know that in my own life I've had occasion to think that I knew what someone was thinking that led them to do something, and often been wrong. So, I try to stay away from any theological truth that is based on, "Well, you know these guys are normal people like me and this is what I would be thinking in my head. So this must be what they were thinking when they asked Jesus a question. Not only that but I know how Jesus would have answered those questions if some certain understanding is assumed.

So again, I'm not willing to use the understanding that Jesus didn't mention something as being any sure bet that something will or won't happen. It's just possible, as I read of some of the signs that Jesus did give, that they are all not particularly specific about 'what' or 'how' the marvels in the heavens will look like. Maybe Jesus knew that telling them the temple would be rebuilt was a sign that would be too easily recognized by even the unbelievers.

Otherwise, I think we're possibly on the same page, or at least the same chapter. I don't find any sure prophecy that there will be a third temple.

God bless,
Ted
I agree an "inference" is not "proof", cannot be "certain" about anything. At its best, an "inference" can only be "probable", reasonable.

But the Word does expect we can infer truth. For example, Christ fully expects the Pharisees can "infer specific premises" and consider their implication, that they require the Messiah is more than human:

41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
42 saying, "What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?" They said to Him, "The Son of David."
43 He said to them, "How then does David in the Spirit call Him`Lord,' saying:
44 `The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool "'?
45 "If David then calls Him`Lord,' how is He his Son?" (Matt. 22:41-45 NKJ)

I'm glad we agree "sure prophecy" for a third temple doesn't exist. As the Church is called the "Temple of God" , the "abomination of desolation" could just as likely "stand up the holy place" the Church as in a literal Temple.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back