Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Burning in Hell"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
:topictotopic

You've yet to find the verse that states hell exists, and that you will burn in hell. There are theories, assumptions, and misinterpretations...but that's it.

who are the scriptures referring too when they say the words him, wicked, my soul, them, he, his soul, the eyes of man, yet thou, we, your

Job 26:6 Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.
Psa 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Psa 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Psa 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in ther dwellings, and among them.
Prov 15:24 The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
Prov 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
Prov 27:20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.
Isa 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Isa 28:15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves

Death, torment, being absent from God, Gehenna after the second coming, etc. are all verified, but not hell. No where does it say that if you die without having been saved, you will go to [burn in] hell.

What do you think being absent from God means? Ignoring a post doesn't make it go away. Vanguard, who are the scriptures referring too when they say the words him, wicked, my soul, them, he, his soul, the eyes of man, yet thou, we.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use any "translation" or any Lexicon gymnastics you want.

Nothing will change the truth of Jesus Christ.

Hell is where people go who don't go to heaven!

But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.Matthew 5:22

shall be in danger of hell fire.

No parable or mystery, just straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ - There is fire in hell!

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

...destroy both soul and body in hell.

And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.

...to be cast into hell fire.

If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched-- Mark 9:43

...to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched.

These verse's are clear.

The Lord Jesus use's hell together with fire so there is no "explaining away" the term.

Hell fire is where people go, who do not go to heaven.

If you want to ignore these scriptures or try and say they refer to "something else" then you are making a mockery of the scriptures and exalting yourself above the knowledge of God.

8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

... and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone.

No getting around this scripture with the excuse "it's a bad translation".

The lake which burns with fire!

JLB

@JLB Oh good grief...it's already been covered. NT accounts refer to Gehenna and the lake of fire that is to come with the rapture.

@urk Every single one of those verses has been taken out of context. Furthermore, you quoted the KJV, which does no agree with either the Hebrew or Greek in its use of the word hell.

Been covered. Moving on.

@JLB Oh good grief...it's already been covered. NT accounts refer to Gehenna and the lake of fire that is to come with the rapture.

@urk Every single one of those verses has been taken out of context. Furthermore, you quoted the KJV, which does no agree with either the Hebrew or Greek in its use of the word hell.

Been covered. Moving on.

What does covered mean?

Because you tried in vain to disprove scripture after scripture with your "opinion".

You haven't covered anything what so ever. You like any other Jehovah's Witness use your so called excuse's to try and disprove the clear plain truth of Jesus Christ.

8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

... and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone.

No getting around this scripture with the excuse "it's a bad translation".

The lake which burns with fire!

All you have done is say, the scripture doesn't mean what it says!

You and a million other atheist's.

JLB

Vanguard, there is only one Jesus, one salvation, one Word. There isn't a Hebrew salvation or a Greek salvation. There is only one salvation, one Word! Jesus is not racial or political, he is pure love and also sinless!!!!!! You only wanna see what you wanna see and hear what you wanna hear, and that's what keeps you from salvation. If you're not born again in the Holy Spirit, you're not getting through those heavens gates my friend. Take heed in what we are saying to you, and learn about what salvation is first. There are conseqences for our actions in this life. You can't go preaching Jesus in this lifetime, then continue sinning and think everything is fine. That's the work of the devil Vanguard and the prime example of a false prophet. If you don't think hell exists, then satan doesn't exist either. Where do you think the little rat lives. Big mistake!

Guys if you have run out of words for the topic maybe it is time to move on? Back to topic while I sweep up

Well guys if I missed deleting your post I am sorry.

Please stay on topic

Vanguard, I apologize. I didn't mean to upset ya but when people preach it's not to upset but to take heed. What upsets me is that you're ignoring the fact that people disagree with your stance on hell, and you're wondering why others are preaching what their preaching to you. It's like your set in your ways and then you post a 'back to topic' sign acting like what we say doesn't matter.

I'm just not sure what your stance is here. You don't believe hell exists, but you made a thread about Lucifer and Satan? Where do you stand on Lucifer and Satan, do you believe they exist. If you do, do you have scripture on where they dwell if hell doesn't exist? Also, what's your take on the seven princes of hell. As you can see there is a demon for each sin, what is your stance on sin..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_princes_of_Hell#Binsfeld.27s_classification_of_demons

Vanguard, I apologize. I didn't mean to upset ya but when people preach it's not to upset but to take heed. What upsets me is that you're ignoring the fact that people disagree with your stance on hell, and you're wondering why others are preaching what their preaching to you. It's like your set in your ways and then you post a 'back to topic' sign acting like what we say doesn't matter.

I'm just not sure what your stance is here. You don't believe hell exists, but you made a thread about Lucifer and Satan? Where do you stand on Lucifer and Satan, do you believe they exist. If you do, do you have scripture on where they dwell if hell doesn't exist? Also, what's your take on the seven princes of hell. As you can see there is a demon for each sin, what is your stance on sin..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_princes_of_Hell#Binsfeld.27s_classification_of_demons

I don't get upset.
I don't need to be preached to.
I never said my posts reflect my personal opinions.
People need to learn to use verses within context.

People often mistake Gehenna for hell. A lot of that is because of the KJV, which incorrectly translated sheol.

I don't get upset.
I don't need to be preached to.
I never said my posts reflect my personal opinions.
People need to learn to use verses within context.

People often mistake Gehenna for hell. A lot of that is because of the KJV, which incorrectly translated sheol.

But Jesus said not to worship false gods, and Moloch is a false god. The Qu'ran, they are all scumbags that twist the Word of Jesus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch

But Jesus said not to worship false gods, and Moloch is a false god. The Qu'ran, they are all scumbags that twist the Word of Jesus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch

No one said anything about Moloch. You're thinking of the valley that was called Gehenna. That is not the same Gehenna that Jesus refers to at the time of the resurrections. Gehenna will be the place that the wicked are cast into after the second coming, aka the Lake of Fire. It has not taken place yet. Maybe that is what has had you so confused. I covered it briefly in the OP.

In post #4, Osgiliath went into greater detail about Gehenna as the Valley of Hinnom, but missed the connection to the second coming. That may have thrown people off. That valley, and what Jesus calls Gehenna, are two entirely different things.

Gehenna is an Aramaic term. The OT tells of the valley, and due to its horrendous nature and wickedness, Jesus uses it as a metaphor in the NT to convey the idea of the wicked burning in the lake of fire. Translations have mistakenly converted the Aramaic name Gehenna, the Hebrew name Ge Hinnom, and the Greek Hades to all mean Hell. Unfortunately, they do not mean Hell as we know it. That mistake was made centuries ago, and tradition has carried it forward. It's also why there are discrepancies between the use of the Received Text and the Majority Text.

Hermeneutics is a great course, if you can ever take it.

Gehenna is an Aramaic term. The OT tells of the valley, and due to its horrendous nature and wickedness, Jesus uses it as a metaphor in the NT to convey the idea of the wicked burning in the lake of fire. Translations have mistakenly converted the Aramaic name Gehenna, the Hebrew name Ge Hinnom, and the Greek Hades to all mean Hell. Unfortunately, they do not mean Hell as we know it.

Ok so let's move forward. Metaphor? Jesus doesn't use metaphors, he uses parables. He uses parables to describe situations but his words only have one meaning because there is only one salvation! Jesus doesn't confuse you with words, Satan does that. Satan uses man to destroy his Word. Why do you think there is up to 30 different versions of the Bible. Where do you think all these translations come from, MAN! I'm sorry to break it to you but Jesus doesn't refer to Gehenna. Gehenna is false doctrine created by man. Man places words in scripture that twist God's Word. There are scriptures all over this thread that have the word hell in it, but you're ignoring them all. Hell is where Satan/Lucifer and his demons live and dwell. Do you not think hell is located in the heart of the earth?

Matthew 12:40 Where is this Gehenna/Lake of Fire located, the hell i refer to is in the heart of the earth.
Revelation 21:1 The land and this world that we live on now is only temporary, and it will pass away. This earth is a fallen world! This is the first earth!

Read the Bible!

Revelation 20:15 - Read the Bible? Ok I will, so how does a person get his name written in the book of life so he/she doesn't get cast into the lake of fire?

Urk, if you wish to continue, do me and the rest of us that are majoring in theology/divinity a favor...stop citing the KJV as your source. While I/we recognize it as a formal translation, it is over 400 years old, contains interpretational errors, and modern versions have revisions to correct those. Furthermore, opinionated assumptions won't get you anywhere. Either cite your sources for claims such as, "Jesus doesn't use metaphors, he uses parables" or just stop posting in this thread.

"I'm sorry to break it to you but Jesus doesn't refer to Gehenna. Gehenna is false doctrine created by man." -urk

When Jesus was speaking in Aramaic or Hebrew, what word do you think He used? It wasn't "hell."

NASB: Matthew 5:29 If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into Gehenna. [translated from Koine Greek]

OJB: Matthew 5:29 And if your right eye causes you to commit chet (sin), tear it out and throw it from you, for it is better for you that one of your evarim (members) be lost and not your whole basar (body, flesh) be thrown into Gehinnom. [from the Hebrew]

Gehenna = Aramaic.
Gehinnom = Hebrew.

Both words refer to the "lake of fire."

What was that about Jesus not using that word or referring to it? The OJB is the Orthdox Jewish Bible for Messianic Judaism, and is a compilation of English and Hebrew. Furthermore, this verse is indeed a metaphor, not a parable.

Thought I would add this as to define what Gehenna means and how it came to be known as hell.

Gehenna is a valley on the south side of the Jebusite town, i.e., Jerusalem. This valley is mentioned five times in the Book of Jeremiah (7:31,32 19:2,6 32:35) as the place in which the people would "burn their sons and daughters in the fire" as part of the worship of Moloch. Through different translations of the word Geheena it has become to be called Hell in Christianity as a place of burning torment to those who reject Jesus and will stand in Gods judgement.

Gehenna (Greek γέεννα), Gehinnom (Rabbinical Hebrew: גהנום/גהנם) and Yiddish Gehinnam, are terms derived from a place outside ancient Jerusalem known in the Hebrew Bible as the Valley of the Son of Hinnom (Hebrew: גֵיא בֶן־הִנֹּם or גיא בן-הינום); one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City.

Originally, it was believed that this was a location where children were sacrificed to Moloch, hence from the perspective of the authors of the Hebrew Bible, it was deemed to be cursed.

In Jewish, Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked. This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, though the King James version of the Bible translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.

BTW, when Jesus was speaking in Aramaic or Hebrew, what word do you think He used? It wasn't "hell."

Does MAN not speak and write in Aramaic or Hebrew??? Do you understand that Man is wicked and flawed? Man writes false words into the bible. There is a difference between religious men and the true prophets of God. You're missing my point. I'm not looking at 'sources', I'm looking at Faith! KJV is not 'my source'! When i speak of the Bible there only two ways to interpret it. Faith or Non-Faith. I'm speaking in regards to one Word, one Salvation. Ok, let's say hypothetically, Jesus can speak any language. He could of been speaking in 100 different languages as for as i know but his words only have ONE MEANING! I will give you a great example. I bet your meaning of God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Salvation, Faith, Born Again, Restore, Heaven and New Earth are different than mine. Are they not? Jesus spoke, but man has written!!!

And by the way, God doesn't look at the brain, he looks at the heart.

Urk, if you wish to continue, do me and the rest of us that are majoring in theology/divinity a favor...

Ok, if you're so well equipped in theology/divinity and what it means then what does the book of life mean and how do you get your name written in the book in Revelation 20:15 so the people that follow your doctrine aren't cast into the lake of fire. You're stating scriptures on 'the lake of fire', but you're not showings us how to avoid it.

Thought I would add this as to define what Gehenna means and how it came to be known as hell.

Gehenna is a valley on the south side of the Jebusite town, i.e., Jerusalem. This valley is mentioned five times in the Book of Jeremiah (7:31,32 19:2,6 32:35) as the place in which the people would "burn their sons and daughters in the fire" as part of the worship of Moloch. Through different translations of the word Geheena it has become to be called Hell in Christianity as a place of burning torment to those who reject Jesus and will stand in Gods judgement.

Gehenna (Greek γέεννα), Gehinnom (Rabbinical Hebrew: גהנום/גהנם) and Yiddish Gehinnam, are terms derived from a place outside ancient Jerusalem known in the Hebrew Bible as the Valley of the Son of Hinnom (Hebrew: גֵיא בֶן־הִנֹּם or גיא בן-הינום); one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City.

Originally, it was believed that this was a location where children were sacrificed to Moloch, hence from the perspective of the authors of the Hebrew Bible, it was deemed to be cursed.

In Jewish, Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked. This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, though the King James version of the Bible translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.

Well, that certainly explains why the named that valley after the place in the heart of the earth called Hell.

Thanks JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back