Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"Burning in Hell"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Ok, if you're so well equipped in theology/divinity and what it means then what does the book of life mean and how do you get your name written in the book in Revelation 20:15 so the people that follow your doctrine aren't cast into the lake of fire. You're stating scriptures on 'the lake of fire', but you're not showings us how to avoid it.

For starters, the Book of Revelation is 100% prophetic. If you take the futurist position, those events haven't happened yet.

I have doctrines?

The "Book of Life" is a metaphor.

How do you avoid the "lake of fire"... Have you been saved? Have you asked Jesus to forgive you for your sins, and accept Him as your lord and savior? Do you live according to Jesus' two commandments found in the NT? Start there.

Thought I would add this as to define what Gehenna means and how it came to be known as hell.

Gehenna is a valley on the south side of the Jebusite town, i.e., Jerusalem. This valley is mentioned five times in the Book of Jeremiah (7:31,32 19:2,6 32:35) as the place in which the people would "burn their sons and daughters in the fire" as part of the worship of Moloch. Through different translations of the word Geheena it has become to be called Hell in Christianity as a place of burning torment to those who reject Jesus and will stand in Gods judgement.

Gehenna (Greek γέεννα), Gehinnom (Rabbinical Hebrew: גהנום/גהנם) and Yiddish Gehinnam, are terms derived from a place outside ancient Jerusalem known in the Hebrew Bible as the Valley of the Son of Hinnom (Hebrew: גֵיא בֶן־הִנֹּם or גיא בן-הינום); one of the two principal valleys surrounding the Old City.

Originally, it was believed that this was a location where children were sacrificed to Moloch, hence from the perspective of the authors of the Hebrew Bible, it was deemed to be cursed.

In Jewish, Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked. This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, though the King James version of the Bible translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.

At least cite Wikipedia as your source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna ...it's the ToS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really guys are the personal jabs necessary? :grumpy

Think about a discussion with the interruption of a moderator.. Remember when ya hated your mom butting into your conversations?

How do you avoid the "lake of fire"... Have you been saved? Have you asked Jesus to forgive you for your sins, and accept Him as your lord and savior? Do you live according to Jesus' two commandments found in the NT? Start there.

Good for a starter. What next?

For starters, the Book of Revelation is 100% prophetic. If you take the futurist position, those events haven't happened yet.

I have doctrines?

The "Book of Life" is a metaphor.

Yes, you are teaching doctrines. The definition of a doctrine is something that is taught, and the something you're teaching is the Bible you're reading from based on your own beliefs.

A metaphor for what?? Calling the Book of Life a metaphor is like calling the death, resurrection, the suffering of Jesus and Heaven fake. Jesus didn't suffer just to suffer, there was a purpose in his suffering. That was to resurrect himself inside believers on this earth! Our sin killed him!!! But by the grace of God, he will always love us. You have a lot to learn my friend. The Book of Life is for those who have obtained salvation in this lifetime on this old earth, so when we die we are written in the Book of Life in Heaven! You know..salvation the word you've been avoiding. Do you not believe Jesus is alive in Heaven right now? How do you expect to walk through holy gates without being born of the holy spirit first in this life?? What are the two Commandments you are referring too, isn't there 10?

Ok so you believe in sin and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior but you don't believe in his resurrection? EDITED
This time actually read Resurrections 2&3.. Four Resurrections in all - http://www.truth-reason.com/2011/05/22/four-resurrections/

What are the two Commandments you are referring too, isn't there 10?

There are 10 in the OT Torah, which are part of Hebrew [Jewish] law. If you are not a Jew, they don't apply to you. It's also why Jews say that Gentiles are governed by Noahide law.

HOWEVER, in the NT Jesus gives us two commandments: love God and love you neighbor. They pretty much cover what the original 10 imply. Comparative Hermeneutics 101.

Ok so you believe in sin and accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior but you don't believe in his resurrection? EDITED.

Where did I say that? If the only thing you can do is try and attack or challenge me, and lead the thread off topic (I am not the topic) then I am done here. Proverbs 18:2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Where did I say that? If the only thing you can do is try and attack or challenge me, and lead the thread off topic (I am not the topic) then I am done here. Proverbs 18:2 A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Who is the fool if you can't discuss his resurrections. His resurrections alone is what Christianity is all about! Attacking and challening are two different things. I'm challenging you. I'm opening your eyes to doctrines that you don't understand yet, so i guess we are both fools.

Who is the fool if you can't discuss his resurrections. His resurrections alone is what Christianity is all about! Attacking and challening are two different things. I'm challenging you. I'm opening your eyes to doctrines that you don't understand yet, so i guess we are both fools.

I wasn't calling you a fool. What would you like to know about His resurrection, as it relates to the lake of fire for those that don't believe?

And I could not help but laugh at "I'm opening your eyes to doctrines that you don't understand yet..." Sorry, that just struck me as funny.

Edit: better yet, if you want to "challenge" me, we can always take it to the 1 on 1 debates. Name the topic.

I wasn't calling you a fool. What would you like to know about His resurrection, as it relates to the lake of fire for those that don't believe?

And I could not help but laugh at "I'm opening your eyes to doctrines that you don't understand yet..." Sorry, that just struck me as funny.

No worries, it may be funny to you now but it's true. When you say 'that don't believe', what do you mean by that, don't believe in what? Absolutely, explain what his resurrection is to you. 1 on 1 debates works, I'd be happy too. I will name the topic, give me a few minutes to start one.

I'm not breaking any rules, so debate me wrong.

4) All statements must be backed by the source. (i.e. book, chapter and verse) If any outside sources (commentaries, Internet quotes, ect..) should be referenced at bottom of page.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back