Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christian girls and beauty contest

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I know what you mean, but I also agree when you said: "I was really glad my mom had been so strict about posture. I got lots of compliments about my posture".

Blessings.
Pageants do not exist to drill good posture. Even if they did, one can learn it elsewhere.

Pageants do not exist to drill good posture. Even if they did, one can learn it elsewhere.

Fine, but remember also that pageants are very much woven into the fabric of life especially the southern United States. In Australia, a pageant might give the idea of semi-clothed participants around Bondi Beach; but not in the US. Blessings.

Fine, but remember also that pageants are very much woven into the fabric of life especially the southern United States. In Australia, a pageant might give the idea of semi-clothed participants around Bondi Beach; but not in the US. Blessings.
It doesn't matter if it's woven in to the fabric of society. That doesn't make it right.

I wasn't making a point about modesty actually. I was saying that these pageants focus on shallow things, like outward appearance.

It appears to me like you're trying to make excuses for something that isn't really a good thing for a Christian woman to do, in general.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. - Proverbs 31:30 (ESV)

It doesn't matter if it's woven in to the fabric of society. That doesn't make it right.

I wasn't making a point about modesty actually. I was saying that these pageants focus on shallow things, like outward appearance.

It appears to me like you're trying to make excuses for something that isn't really a good thing for a Christian woman to do, in general.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. - Proverbs 31:30 (ESV)

It's out there; and a lot of ladies do like dressing up. But yes, it's good to be discreet and sensible also.

Blessings.

It's out there; and a lot of ladies do like dressing up. But yes, it's good to be discreet and sensible also.

Blessings.
To be clear, I'm not saying ladies shouldn't 'dress up'. There's nothing wrong with dressing well.

What I'm talking about is the focus on outward appearance. It simply goes against what the Bible says.

should Christian girls also be one of the contenders? I mean, for the miss world stuff
For the life of me I've never been able to figure out what is virtuous about showing off your good body and good looks for others to gawk at and covet.

Those are the things that the world values and heaps praise and adoration on people for having. God is not in that business so that somehow we are serving him when we do that. (I quit doing it years ago, lol.)

To be clear, I'm not saying ladies shouldn't 'dress up'. There's nothing wrong with dressing well.

What I'm talking about is the focus on outward appearance. It simply goes against what the Bible says.

I agree and I don't even confine that to the Christian values. It's just not right for girls/woman to see their value being in their looks and when it is taken to the extremes of beauty contests and parading around on a stage to be judged by appearance it's like going to a horse sale (how do they look and how do they move) not even mentioning the sexual overtures.

I know what you mean, but I also agree when you said: "I was really glad my mom had been so strict about posture. I got lots of compliments about my posture".

Blessings.

The compliments were not directed towards good looks as in attractive. People just noticed good posture, standing and sitting straight.

Don't leave off the part of my post about clothes hanging better AND the most important part, Physical Health. Bad posture is bad for the shoulders and back, especially the lower back. Good posture will eliminate a lot of shoulder and lower back pain.

jasoncran:

I'm sure Florida must have its share? not just bikini parades (not talking about those) but for dressing up Southern pageant style?
only one that I know of that is local. that is the hibiscus parade, that is name after what my city was once called. we had a ton of hibiscus flowers here that were all over the beach. that is definitely southern. they recite poetry, are to be examples in manners and also caring the poor. if I see alma lee loy again I will ask her. I know that she did a lot with that for years and still does at her age.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back