Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is getting a hair transplant sinful?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

rahrah

Okay so my question is just as the title says. Is it sinful to get a hair transplant?

I think I've had a problem with my hairline ever since I was born. All my sisters have strong healthy hairlines meanwhile mine sits high and my hair is fairly thin on the scalp, but thick and beautiful at the ends. I have quite thick hair, but on the top of my hair it's thin, kind of see through and it makes me so insecure. I've tried to fight this insecurity, but it left me feeling suicidal and I've started cutting myself a lot. It makes me hate myself, when It looks okay I just praise God and thank Him for helping me to fix it correctly. But it's really tiring and my bad thoughts are leadimg me more away from God. Some may think I'll do this for vanity, but I can clearly say that I'm not a person of pride. In fact I hate the sin pride. All glory belongs to God so It makes my skin boil to think that someone would think of themselves highly, and them only. I really want to create music for God, but I cannot think about standing on a stage in front of many people with them seeing the state of my hair because it makes me insecure. I really just want to be able to be okay with myself and put my focus on God, but this have really made it impossible to live my life.

I'm thinking about trying out rosemary oil by a brand called nature spell, and I truly hope that it will do the work. But if it won't then I'm contemplating getting a hair transplant. But as you see I have this concern that it is sinful. I don't want to sin against God. Even if my thoughts are bad, but I know that it is a sin to commit suicide so I've turned to cutting myself. I've even carved a big cross on my sternum.

I want to be set free from this problem, so I'm please asking you guys for advice. Thank you for all the answers, have a nice day. God bless you. <3

It sounds like you are putting way too much importance in something that is really not that important. If you are truly concerned with losing your hair just shave it off and see how your life changes. This is basically the philosophy of how people fast during Lent. They give something up for that time period so they can find a way to be closer to God. When we remove these kinds of distractions God will open up better things.

Hey All,
How about instead of regrets and insecurities, you replace that with thanksgiving. In the scope of all the problems people have, a high hairline seems very petty to the man or woman that has no hair. You want to be a singer. So write a song praising God for all you do have. Your belly is full. You have a warm place to sleep at night. You are not living in poverty. You have no terminal health conditions. You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. You live in freedom.
Do you understand what I am saying?
You are allowing this to hold you back from fulfilling your dreams. In doing so, you are allowing Satan to silence your voice. Don't let that happen.
Think about this: How many people have come up to you this year and pointed out your high hairline? My guess would be zero. This is all in you. Further, could it be that deep down you are afraid to pursue being a singer; and you use this as an excuse to not try?
Only you know for sure.
This could get me kicked out of the secrets club. But I am going to give you the secret way cure your anxiety.
You ready?
Own your issues. "Yes I have a high hairline.
I am so thankful for it, I show it off. It gives me a distinct look others don't have."
Do you see the power of what I just wrote?
Now I own the condition. It does not own me. I have broken the power of fear with the power of love.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Love God, love others, love yourself. When you do, you will no longer be afraid.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

It might be a bit vain, but if it is, talk to God about why baldness is an issue. Give Him constant control of your mind, heart and desires and let Him lead you in the way you should go.

Oh? Why? Is God limited by your hairline? Is His use of you for His purposes confined by how much hair there is on the top of your head? Does God love you less because you aren't totally thick and lustrous, hair-wise?

Uh, what? How is cutting yourself an appropriate response to thinning hair and a receding hairline? Come on, now. Really?

You know, whenever we get preoccupied with ourselves, with our flesh, this sort of destructive stuff always develops. Just like God says in His word it will.

Galatians 6:7-8
7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
8 For he who sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he who sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Romans 8:5-8
5 For they who are occupied with the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they who are occupied with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally-minded is death; but to be spiritually-minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is at enmity with God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 5:16-17
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

It is a fleshly-minded person who is fussing over their external, physical appearance to such a degree that it becomes destructive. Such person is not under the Spirit's control and cannot, then, be used of God. The man whose eyes are fixed upon himself can't see God.

Well, this obviously is not the case. If pride were not in the mix, you would not be so distressed about your hair. It is your self-interested, self-centered "old man" who is sitting on the throne of your heart, not God. And his rule is always characterized by selfish things, pride chief among them.

Godly humility does not grow enraged by the vanity of others. Is it really that you are angry on God's behalf, or your own? There is nothing a proud person hates more, after all, than being looked down upon.

Then you're in no position to be making music for God. Your focus is on you, not Him. And so long as it is, you're of little use to God. When God's your focus, when He fills your view, your physical appearance won't matter to you as it does now and such liberty from self-interest is vital to proper worship and praise of God.

You've got things in the wrong order, here. Put your focus on God first, let Him overtake and rule your heart and mind, and then you will find that you're okay with the way He has made you.

Well, it is vain and speaks to a level of occupation with yourself that will only interfere with serving God in a way that pleases Him. We don't have to go about like an unmade bed; being godly doesn't mean you like you've been dumpster-diving; but if you're clean and neat, your teeth are brushed and your hair is combed, you've given enough attention to your appearance.

Obviously, this sort of thing is not of God. He is certainly not pleased that you're damaging yourself over this hair stuff. Your degree of bondage to your appearance, though, just speaks to the fact that God, that the Holy Spirit more precisely, is not in constant control of you. And he isn't, because you're not being careful to consciously, explicitly, give him control of your mind, desires and conduct throughout each day. When God is control of you, He will not be leading you to self-destructive acts and He will free you of your preoccupation with your appearance.
Thank you for all of this. I'm sorry for being so bad at seeing myself. Thank you for seeing that for me. Goodness, I hate how stupid I am. I just don't know how to change. The self harm thing isn't only because of my hair. There are many other things that makes me do it, especially how my relationship with Christ is doing. I want to change, but I've tried for so long. I don't know how to make a change and I hate that. If I get rid of myself then this wouldn't be a problem and others wouldn't be burdened or plagued by my existance.

Hey All,
How about instead of regrets and insecurities, you replace that with thanksgiving. In the scope of all the problems people have, a high hairline seems very petty to the man or woman that has no hair. You want to be a singer. So write a song praising God for all you do have. Your belly is full. You have a warm place to sleep at night. You are not living in poverty. You have no terminal health conditions. You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. You live in freedom.
Do you understand what I am saying?
You are allowing this to hold you back from fulfilling your dreams. In doing so, you are allowing Satan to silence your voice. Don't let that happen.
Think about this: How many people have come up to you this year and pointed out your high hairline? My guess would be zero. This is all in you. Further, could it be that deep down you are afraid to pursue being a singer; and you use this as an excuse to not try?
Only you know for sure.
This could get me kicked out of the secrets club. But I am going to give you the secret way cure your anxiety.
You ready?
Own your issues. "Yes I have a high hairline.
I am so thankful for it, I show it off. It gives me a distinct look others don't have."
Do you see the power of what I just wrote?
Now I own the condition. It does not own me. I have broken the power of fear with the power of love.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Love God, love others, love yourself. When you do, you will no longer be afraid.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Thank you for all this. I'll try to work on it.🤝

Thank you for all of this. I'm sorry for being so bad at seeing myself. Thank you for seeing that for me. Goodness, I hate how stupid I am. I just don't know how to change.

None of us do, really. King David had it right when he asked God to search his heart and test his thoughts. If we really want to know the truth about ourselves, if we want to see clearly the lies we so often tell ourselves, it'll only be by God's illumination of these things.

Some employ psychological tricks to overcome various issues within themselves, but God would have us under His control so that He can show to us the subtly, profundity and power of His transformation of us. When we are walking daily under His control, hairlines, and waistlines, and whatever else, take their proper place in our attention.

The self harm thing isn't only because of my hair. There are many other things that makes me do it

I suspected as much. Most - if not all - of these things, though, are, I suspect, just symptoms of the same thing: Your "old man" in control. All of our sin actually ends up arising from two things:

1.) Our not knowing and living by faith in the truth of who we are in Jesus.

2.) Our standing in God's place in our lives.

To these two problems, Romans 6 gives us excellent advice. Especially verses 11 and 13.

I want to change, but I've tried for so long. I don't know how to make a change and I hate that.

Well, none of us can change ourselves in the way that God wants. Only He can make us who He wants us to be. And so, He says things to us in His word like the following:

Philippians 1:6
6 ... he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Philippians 4:13
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Ephesians 6:10
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

God is a gentleman, only working to change us so long as we agree to His doing so. We give this agreement by our submission to Him throughout each day. Every time we step out from under God's authority and control and act according to our own will and way, God halts what He's doing in us and will wait until we have submitted to Him again before He'll continue. And so, a super important key to living the Christian life, to enjoying God fully, is to keep submitted to Him. In fact, I'd say this is The Great Battle of the Christian life, not forcing ourselves to do what God wants, as so many believers mistakenly think.

If I get rid of myself then this wouldn't be a problem and others wouldn't be burdened or plagued by my existance.

Come now, this isn't coming from anywhere godly, is it? This is just you talking from a heart and mind not under God's control. God didn't create you to think and feel this way. This is the sort of thinking that happens only when we've wandered from Him after our own will and way. As the Bible says, at the end of such a road, there is only corruption, darkness and death. God's way, the life of the Spirit, is full of light, love, joy and peace (Galatians 5:22-23; Matthew 11:28-30). He'll begin to fill you - not all at once, but progressively - with all the good things he is just as soon as you start making conscious submission to him throughout every day your way of life. Will you?

James 4:6-10
6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Back