Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Ain't So Good ! So How Could He Be God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus says that "there is none good but one, that is, God " and God alone.

Mar 10:18
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

So what was Jesus purposely telling us about Himself in this proclamation ?

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Hello Consecrated Life, Looking at your OP

Jesus Ain't So Good ! So How Could He Be God?​

I would say 1st. of all that The Bible describes Jesus as the Good Shepherd. In John 10:11-12, Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd, and the sheep are not his own. When he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf pounces on them and scatters the flock".

In John 10:14-15, Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep".

Saturday 1-20-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shevat 8 5784, 30th. Winter Day

Jesus also said in John 4:24 GOD is a Spirit

2 Corinthians 5:19 Commentaries: namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Hello Consecrated Life, Looking at your OP

Jesus Ain't So Good ! So How Could He Be God?​

I would say 1st. of all that The Bible describes Jesus as the Good Shepherd. In John 10:11-12, Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd, and the sheep are not his own. When he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf pounces on them and scatters the flock".

In John 10:14-15, Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep".

Saturday 1-20-24 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Shevat 8 5784, 30th. Winter Day

Jesus also said in John 4:24 GOD is a Spirit

2 Corinthians 5:19 Commentaries: namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Love, Walter And Debbie
Thank You Walter & Debbie,
So what do these scriptures you quote tell us that Jesus was saying about Himself in answering the rich young man's question with a question?
Don't you love how Jesus so often answered someone's question with a question?
Jesus always using the opportunity to teach deeper spiritual things than the original inquiry was about .
Now don't be like the rich young man , who never answered Jesus's question.

.... Why callest thou me good?

Hey All,
Consecrated life asked:
"So what was Jesus purposely telling us about Himself in this proclamation ?"

I thought about this.
Shouldn't the question be:
What was the rich man saying about Jesus?

Mark 10:17-20 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

The rich man knew keeping the Law was not enough.

Mark 10:21-22 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

GRIE'VED, pp. Pained afflicted suffering sorrow.

The rich man's reaction was as if his loved one died. He had great sorrow.
Why?
Because he let his possessions define who he was. That was how people around him knew he was rich. In the dispersion of his possessions, he knows he will lose his self worth, in the eyes of others, and himself. He could not see the riches of the treasures in heaven.

The account does not tell us what happened to the rich man.

Do you believe the rich man did as Jesus said?
Or was it too hard for him to do.

Matthew 10:39
He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

What matters more to us in life?
What defines us?

Keep walking everybody.
May god bless,
Taz

Taz,
I really can't speculate as to whether the rich young man eventually received salvation , trusting in Jesus rather than riches & material things.
He certainly did not that day .
But if I am honest I have to admit that the very first time the opportunity to choose Christ came to me I did not take it .
But hear I am today , His child .
What potential eternal tragedy I exposed myself in the period before I came to Him still gives me frightening moments of pause today .
This much I can tell you, Jesus never gives up on us .
So it is quite possible that the rich young man being in the proximity and being witness to all that was to follow in Jerusalem with Jesus came back to Christ .
Talking about it now I really do not see how he could not have come to be saved if he were alive post- resurrection.
I am sure if he was alive after the resurrection Jesus's statement took on a whole new meaning for Him:

......there is none good but one, that is, God.

We will find out what happened one day I'm sure .

Getting back to my original question , I think it could be worded :
Did the rich young really know who and why He was calling "good" ?

Thank You Walter & Debbie,
So what do these scriptures you quote tell us that Jesus was saying about Himself in answering the rich young man's question with a question?
Don't you love how Jesus so often answered someone's question with a question?
Jesus always using the opportunity to teach deeper spiritual things than the original inquiry was about .
Now don't be like the rich young man , who never answered Jesus's question.

Hello Consecrated Life, Again we are not like your last statement in your Thank You, but we answered according to what you asked, realizing 1st. that what Jesus said there is none good but one, that is, God ".

Hello Consecrated Life, Again we are not like your last statement in your Thank You, but we answered according to what you asked, realizing 1st. that what Jesus said there is none good but one, that is, God ".
Thank You WalterandDebbie.,
Allow me to drill down just a little deeper into your answer.
So is your understanding that Jesus was saying about Himself that :
1.) He was not "good" ?
or
2.) He was not "God" ?
or
3.) He is None of the above ?

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.

Why do you call Me good? Jesus challenged the young man to think through the implications of ascribing to Him the title "good." Since only God is intrinsically good, was he prepared to acknowledge Jesus' deity? By this query, Jesus did not deny His deity; on the contrary, He affirmed it.

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.
Why do you call Me good? Jesus challenged the young man to think through the implications of ascribing to Him the title "good." Since only God is intrinsically good, was he prepared to acknowledge Jesus' deity? By this query, Jesus did not deny His deity; on the contrary, He affirmed it.

Ding! Ding! Ding !
We have a Winner .
Well Done electedbyhim.

Thank You WalterandDebbie.,
Allow me to drill down just a little deeper into your answer.
So is your understanding that Jesus was saying about Himself that :
1.) He was not "good" ?
or
2.) He was not "God" ?
or
3.) He is None of the above ?

I provided some information to you about your 1st. question, as to our studies/understanding, but what you are asking now, is also answered within those scriptures, 1. Jesus is The Good Shepherd, talking about himself, 2. GOD Is A Spirit, but inside of Christ, 3. Explained within scriptures, Other views:

Love, Walter And Debbie

Last edited:
I provided some information to you about your 1st. question, as to my understanding, but what you are asking now, is also answered within those scriptures, 1. Jesus is The Good Shepherd, talking about himself, 2. GOD Is A Spirit, but inside of Christ, 3. Explained within scriptures, Other views:

Love, Walter And Debbie
How can Jesus be a " Good" Shepherd, when He says that there is ONLY ONE GOOD, that ONE being God ?

Mark 10:18 ... No one is good except God alone.

This is Jesus directly denying being God. One example among many others.

How can Jesus be a " Good" Shepherd, when He says that there is ONLY ONE GOOD, that ONE being God ?

I can lend some perspective on this. When Jesus referred to God as the only one who alone is good, Jesus is referring to objective goodness, not that others can't be good in their own sense. "God is light and in Him is no darkness." Jesus can be tempted to sin while God can't be tempted nor can God sin.

I can lend some perspective on this. When Jesus referred to God as the only one who alone is good, Jesus is referring to objective goodness, not that others can't be good in their own sense.
Jesus said that we are evil , & all our "objective goodness" is filthy rags in God's sight .

Mat 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Sir, In Matthew 16:13-17 Revelation Of The Person Of The King, Jesus asked His Disciples, saying, Who do men say that I the Son of man am......... 14. ......... 15. He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17. And Jesus answered and said and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Last edited:
Sir, In Matthew 16:13-17 Revelation Of The Person Of The King, Jesus asked His Disciples, saying, W do men say that I the Son of man am......... 15. He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17. And Jesus answered and said and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Thank You !🇮🇱

Jesus said that we are evil , & all our "objective goodness" is filthy rags in God's sight .

Mat 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
See, evil people know how to give good gifts after all. They do have something good about them, but aren’t objectively good like God in the most general sense of the word.

Jesus is the good shepherd. According to Matt 25:23 there are good and faithful servants. How God alone is good is that He can’t sin. Jesus could sin, but chose not to. There is an important distinction here.

It is a duel denial Jesus is making .
You are conveniently not mentioning Jesus also denying to be "good"
It’s more nuanced than that because of this particular translation. It doesn’t entirely do it justice. The Greek word here for our English word “good” actually refers to perfection or objective goodness. Just check the Greek and let me know.

See, evil people know how to give good gifts after all. They do have something good about them, but aren’t objectively good like God in the most general sense of the word.
You don't even know the difference between a reference to good gift , and a good person.
Hitler gave gifts to people as well.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back