Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Ain't So Good ! So How Could He Be God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You don't even know the difference between a reference to good gift , and a good person.
Hitler gave gifts to people as well.
According to Jesus "no one is good except God alone" but not everyone is a Hitler. There is spectrum regardless of how inherently evil everyone is.

Jesus says that "there is none good but one, that is, God " and God alone.

Mar 10:18
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

So what was Jesus purposely telling us about Himself in this proclamation ?
Actually the rich young ruler was talking to Jesus thinking Jesus was just another Teacher. He had no idea of who Jesus really was. Jesus was basically saying "If I am just another teacher like all the rest, why are you calling me good, only God is good."

So Jesus was not telling us anything about Himself. He was correcting the rich young ruler who probably went around and saying "good teacher" to every other teacher he ran into.

You need to learn how to read within the context and not just jump to some conclusion.

Actually the rich young ruler was talking to Jesus thinking Jesus was just another Teacher. He had no idea of who Jesus really was. Jesus was basically saying "If I am just another teacher like all the rest, why are you calling me good, only God is good."

So Jesus was not telling us anything about Himself. He was correcting the rich young ruler who probably went around and saying "good teacher" to every other teacher he ran into.

You need to learn how to read within the context and not just jump to some conclusion.
Or Jesus was denying being God which is clear from what the text says. Peron 1 = Jesus, Person 2 = God. God alone is good therefore Jesus is not God.

I can lend some perspective on this. When Jesus referred to God as the only one who alone is good, Jesus is referring to objective goodness, not that others can't be good in their own sense. "God is light and in Him is no darkness." Jesus can be tempted to sin while God can't be tempted nor can God sin.
When did Jesus sin?
If He never sinned,then, by your own admission, He is God.

A rich man, number one would not be "running" in hast & eager to speak with Jesus, kneeling down before Him if Jesus were just another average Joe.
Write that down.

Mar 10:17
"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him"

Number two , the rich young man would not be asking anybody he considered less than supernaturally capable & knowledgeable how he could gain "eternal life"

"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

You need to acquire a spiritual discernment more than your current inches deep & miles wide level to see these things.

Taz,
I really can't speculate as to whether the rich young man eventually received salvation , trusting in Jesus rather than riches & material things.
He certainly did not that day .
But if I am honest I have to admit that the very first time the opportunity to choose Christ came to me I did not take it .
But hear I am today , His child .
What potential eternal tragedy I exposed myself in the period before I came to Him still gives me frightening moments of pause today .
This much I can tell you, Jesus never gives up on us .
So it is quite possible that the rich young man being in the proximity and being witness to all that was to follow in Jerusalem with Jesus came back to Christ .
Talking about it now I really do not see how he could not have come to be saved if he were alive post- resurrection.
I am sure if he was alive after the resurrection Jesus's statement took on a whole new meaning for Him:

......there is none good but one, that is, God.

We will find out what happened one day I'm sure .

Getting back to my original question , I think it could be worded :
Did the rich young really know who and why He was calling "good" ?
Hey All,
Amen to Jesus never giving up on us.
He loves us more than we love ourselves.

I believe you are somewhat on the right track. I don't believe the rich young ruler did not know who Jesus was other than a good teacher.

The passage hinges on what the young man called Jesus; "good master."
Specifically what rich young ruler meant by "good" vs how Jesus used "good" to mean something different.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
Amen to Jesus never giving up on us.
He loves us more than we love ourselves.

I believe you are somewhat on the right track. I don't believe the rich young ruler did not know who Jesus was other than a good teacher.

The passage hinges on what the young man called Jesus; "good master."
Specifically what rich young ruler meant by "good" vs how Jesus used "good" to mean something different.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Hey Taz.
I think the real key to the mindset of the rich young man is , what had he seen or heard that caused him to believe Jesus actually held the key to eternal life ?
Look at the woman with the "issue of blood " who was cured just by touching Jesus.
What had she seen or heard that convinced her that that merely touching Jesus was going to cure her?
We don't know what she had previously seen or heard that convinced her that Jesue had that power , because it is never mentioned.
But what we can be sure of is that she had seen or heard something prior to her approaching Jesus .
Interesting to me that people suspect the wealthy young man had never heard of the blind being given sight , the dead brought back to life , the feeding of the 5000 etc,etc,etc, .
How could he have not heard of these things & more prior to his running , not walking, to Jesus ?

A rich man, number one would not be "running" in hast & eager to speak with Jesus, kneeling down before Him if Jesus were just another average Joe.
Write that down.

"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him"

Number two , the rich young man would not be asking anybody he considered less than supernaturally capable & knowledgeable how he could gain "eternal life"

"And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

You need to acquire a spiritual discernment more than your current inches deep & miles wide level to see these thin

Write that down.

You need to acquire a spiritual discernment more than your current inches deep & miles wide level to see these things.
Supernaturally capable and knowledgeable is not the same thing as being God. In that day they had Rabbi's that did exorcisms and other "supernatural" stuff.

Acts 8:9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery.

Was Simon God? Both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.”

There goes your thesis that somebody would not come running to a false prophet.

Supernaturally capable and knowledgeable is not the same thing as being God. In that day they had Rabbi's that did exorcisms and other "supernatural" stuff.

Acts 8:9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.” 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his sorcery.

Was Simon God? Both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is rightly called the Great Power of God.”

There goes your thesis that somebody would not come running to a false prophet.
First your claim is that Jesus was , "just another teacher" to the young man.
Not surprisingly you are now forced to modify your claim taking into account the supernatural .
The reason you are forced to modify your claim is because you were wrong to begin with.
But I've got futher news for you , by trying to modify Jesus from, " just another teacher" , to the equivalent of a sorcerer you have taken one step forward and 1000 steps backwards .
The young man's greatest desire & only question for Jesus was to tell him how to have eternal life .
You are now claiming that the young man's seeing or hearing of Jesus performing what looks just like sorcery was responsible for his coming to Jesus concerning eternal life .
Do you even realize how spiritually twisted this logic you are working with is ?
So what manner of sorcery is it you think Jesus was well known for that made the young man seek him so earnestly for Eternal Life ?

Restoring sight to the blind ?
Raising the dead?
Causing the lame to walk ?

Let me answer that for you .
NONE OF THE ABOVE !

Scripturally , Sorcery has nothing to do with life .
Giving of Life more abundant , or Giving Eternal Life.
Sorcery is all about death, child murder , and communing with the dead , communing with the demonic.

For example, in 2 Chronicles 33:6,
King Manasseh is condemned for his sorcery: “And he burned his sons as an offering in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, and used fortune-telling and omens and sorcery, and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger.”

When you come up with Jesus practicing a form of Sorcery in scripture that is geared for heaven & Eternal Life
as the Young Man inquired about get back to me .

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator note . Next personal attack and you will be thread banned 👀 .

No more foolishness , please !

1.3: Use self control and focus on reconcilliation when discussing differences. Address the issue, not the person. Do not make derogatory personal remarks or you will be removed from the thread.

Jesus says that "there is none good but one, that is, God " and God alone.

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

So what was Jesus purposely telling us about Himself in this proclamation ?

Please tell us what you believe Jesus is:

God
A man
an angel
Other.

Please tell us what you believe Jesus is:

God
A man
an angel
Other.
Well we know that Jesus pre-dates His becoming a baby.
Because We know that Jesus pre-dates Abraham :
Jhn 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
We know that Jesus predates Satan & the Angels :
Luk 10:18
And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

We know that Jesus predates the creation:
Jhn 17:5
O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Therefore we know that if God created Jesus , Jesus was the first thing God ever created .
And if you believe that then you have no choice but assert that the most spectacular , magnificent creation that God could ever create , His creation & only begotten & much beloved Son , was done without the mention of one word being spoken from God.
No creation of God's could ever be able to hold a candle to the creation of His beloved Son.
And yet where is the proud Father's words of delight in His beloved Son's creation ?
Nowhere.
Not one syllable ever mentioned from God about His very first and most magnificent creation, His dearly Beloved Son.
The creation of Christ, God's only begotten & beloved Son, was done by His Father in absolute secrecy and in complete silence by God.
Comparable to the way a child born out of wedlock was once birthed in secrecy out of shame and embarrassment .
Without a word mentioned to anyone.
This spirit of hidden shame and embarrassment and secret silence is the spirit you have to claim that Jesus was created in if you believe He was indeed "created".
You have no other choice .
How inspiring .
Such meaninglessness is not the way of the God I know .
For me Jesus clearly transcends the humanely circumscribed concept of time, and the human bewilderment at attempting to make application of what they already have a limited understanding of to the Mystery of the Almighty .
That being said that Leaves only one possibility of who Jesus is .

Last edited:
O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
If I may inquire, since Jesus said he had glory with God before the world was then did he lose his glory and needed to get it back? What did Jesus do on earth to be glorified?

Jesus, referring to his crucifixion, said in John 12:23 "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified."

If the crucifixion is his glory he had with the Father before the world was and he was only crucified one time (Hebrews 9:28) then Jesus was crucified two times? If once before the world and once in the world, why was there a second sacrifice? Please forgive the questions, but what I am getting at is that Jesus didn't literally exist before the world was. He's referring to existing in God's foreknowledge, in God's predestination.

what I am getting at is that Jesus didn't literally exist before the world was. He's referring to existing in God's foreknowledge, in God's predestination.
First things first.
Tell me why you believe that Jesus didn't literally mean that He existed before Abraham did ?

First your claim is that Jesus was , "just another teacher" to the young man.
Not surprisingly you are now forced to modify your claim taking into account the supernatural .
The reason you are forced to modify your claim is because you were wrong to begin with.
But I've got futher news for you , by trying to modify Jesus from, " just another teacher" , to the equivalent of a sorcerer you have taken one step forward and 1000 steps backwards .
The young man's greatest desire & only question for Jesus was to tell him how to have eternal life .
You are now claiming that the young man's seeing or hearing of Jesus performing what looks just like sorcery was responsible for his coming to Jesus concerning eternal life .
Do you even realize how spiritually twisted this logic you are working with is ?
So what manner of sorcery is it you think Jesus was well known for that made the young man seek him so earnestly for Eternal Life ?

Restoring sight to the blind ?
Raising the dead?
Causing the lame to walk ?

Let me answer that for you .
NONE OF THE ABOVE !

Scripturally , Sorcery has nothing to do with life .
Giving of Life more abundant , or Giving Eternal Life.
Sorcery is all about death, child murder , and communing with the dead , communing with the demonic.

For example, in 2 Chronicles 33:6,
King Manasseh is condemned for his sorcery: “And he burned his sons as an offering in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, and used fortune-telling and omens and sorcery, and dealt with mediums and with necromancers. He did much evil in the sight of the LORD, provoking him to anger.”

When you come up with Jesus practicing a form of Sorcery in scripture that is geared for heaven & Eternal Life
as the Young Man inquired about get back to me .
Don't think I know how to reply to this Obfuscation. All I was trying to show is that people like the rich young ruler will run to anybody they think will help them in any way. Nobody during that time ever thought Jesus was God. Some confessed that He came from God like a prophet or something, but not Divine Himself.

Again, the rich young ruler came to somebody he did not believe was God and called him "good." All Jesus was trying to tell him was to stop calling anybody good because only God is good. He was not saying anything about himself.

Well we know that Jesus pre-dates His becoming a baby.
Because We know that Jesus pre-dates Abraham :
We know that Jesus predates Satan & the Angels :
Luk 10:18
And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Therefore we know that if God created Jesus , Jesus was the first thing God ever created .
And if you believe that then you have no choice but assert that the most spectacular , magnificent creation that God could ever create , His creation & only begotten & much beloved Son , was done without the mention of one word being spoken from God.
No creation of God's could ever be able to hold a candle to the creation of His beloved Son.
And yet where is the proud Father's words of delight in His beloved Son's creation ?
Nowhere.
Not one syllable ever mentioned from God about His very first and most magnificent creation, His dearly Beloved Son.
The creation of Christ, God's only begotten & beloved Son, was done by His Father in absolute secrecy and in complete silence by God.
Comparable to the way a child born out of wedlock was once birthed in secrecy out of shame and embarrassment .
Without a word mentioned to anyone.
This spirit of hidden shame and embarrassment and secret silence is the spirit you have to claim that Jesus was created in if you believe He was indeed "created".
You have no other choice .
How inspiring .
Such meaninglessness is not the way of the God I know .
For me Jesus clearly transcends the humanely circumscribed concept of time, and the human bewilderment at attempting to make application of what they already have a limited understanding of to the Mystery of the Almighty .
That being said that Leaves only one possibility of who Jesus is .

Who do you say Jesus is?

God
Angel
Man
Other

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back