Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ordo Salutis - The Order of Salvation

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Another thread got me thinking and reminded me of the Ordo Salutis.

As the Bible teaches that humans are dead in sin, dead spiritually. They cannot come to God, so God chooses whom He elected to salavation. Once we hear the gospel messgae, we are regenerated and then we are given faith to believe at that moment and the rest follows.

This is the order of salvation from the Reformed teaching.

Election – God’s choice of people to save. This choice occurred before the foundation of the world.
Predestination – The work of God to ordain to salvation those who have been elected to it.
Calling – The preaching of the gospel message.
Regeneration – The change in the person produced by God.
Faith – The trust an individual has in the work of God on the cross.
Repentance – Turning from sin.
Justification – The imputation of righteousness to the individual thus making him righteous according to the law.
Sanctification – God’s work in the individual to make him more like Christ.
Perseverance – God’s work in the individual results in the person continually believing throughout his life.
Glorification – Resurrection to glory with God

The Arminians and Catholics have their own teaching on this.

I wanted to focus on the calling, regeneration, faith, repentance and justifiction. Personally, I believe all 5 of them happen simultaneously.

I would like to some comments from others.

All the naysayers are welcome to participate as well.

Grace and peace to you.

I kind of agree with you, my problem is that fallible, finite man is trying to put God's ways into a orderly logical sequence. Especially when they get into arguing about Infralapsarianism vs Supralapsarianism.

I kind of agree with you, my problem is that fallible, finite man is trying to put God's ways into a orderly logical sequence. Especially when they get into arguing about Infralapsarianism vs Supralapsarianism.
Agree, that can make my head spin. I think I lean more towards infra, maybe supra. I forget. Its been a long time. I think there are three, I could be wrong.

Perhaps a future thread on this at some point.

I think there are only two, but one is called by two different names.
Supralapsarianism
Infralapsarianism (also known sometimes as "sublapsarianism")
You are correct, that is why I thought there are three.

On the calling, regeneration, faith, repentance and justifiction, I have only heard one sermon preached on this and I think it was John Macarthur.

I wanted to study this in depth but had not really looked into any resources on this.

True, but it interesting to contemplate about God.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cf/8d/bd/cf8dbd721a3ebd8e13363704bd39e09d.jpg

cf8dbd721a3ebd8e13363704bd39e09d.jpg

I vote for Supralapsarianism.

Infralapsarianism/ Supralapsarianism
God sent Christ to redeem the chosen ones because he loved them, but since the elect would also be sinners, and God hates sinners, how could he
love those that he should hate? This is an insoluble problem under INFRALAPSARIANISM, in which the decree for the fall of all men occurs before the decree to redeem the chosen ones, so that the decrees follow a historical order. But the problem does not appear under SUPRALAPSARIANISM, in which the election of some men to be saved in Christ occurs before the decree for the fall of all men, so that the various decrees follow a teleological order. That is, God loved the chosen ones and decreed their salvation before he decreed that all men would become sinners. But in order for some men to be saved and some to be damned, all men must become sinners, and therefore he also decreed that all men would become sinners (Romans 11:32). Under this scheme, God's love for the chosen ones is easily explained, even though in time and history they would first appear as sinners before they are made righteous through faith in Jesus Christ.

Supralapsarianism is the biblical and rational order. Infralapsarianism confuses logical conception with historical execution, so that not only is it contrary to fact, but it makes nonsense of some of the divine decrees. For any given decree, it leaves the purpose of the decree unspecified until the next decree. But then there is no reason for the present one, so that it becomes arbitrary. Thus infralapsarianism is blasphemous by implication, since it insults God's intelligence and denies his rationality.

Infralapsarians retort that Supralapsarianism undermines God's justice, but to assert this they smuggle in a private and unbiblical standard of justice, one that rejects God's absolute sovereignty and violates strict logical inference, and then evaluate the eternal decrees by it. Vincent Cheung – Commentary on Colossians

Supralapsarianism
The decree for God to be glorified comes first, and to achieve this, the decree is made that Christ would subdue all things and deliver them to the Father. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that Christ would save a chosen people out of fallen humanity to become his fellow heirs. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that fallen humanity would be divided into the elect and the reprobates. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that humanity would fall into sin. Then, in order to achieve this, the decree is made that God would create humanity. This is the order of purpose and design. The order is reversed in execution, so that it begins with creation and culminates in God's glory.

The major objection against the supralapsarian scheme amounts to an opposition to the idea that God could designate the identities of the reprobates before he decrees their fall into sin. In Supralapsarianism, God first decrees that there would be reprobates, and then he decrees the fall so that these reprobates could materialize. Again, the objection is against unconditional reprobation. To put it another way, the objection is against God's absolute sovereignty.

Author Unknown

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/cf/8d/bd/cf8dbd721a3ebd8e13363704bd39e09d.jpg

cf8dbd721a3ebd8e13363704bd39e09d.jpg

I vote for Supralapsarianism.

Infralapsarianism/ Supralapsarianism
God sent Christ to redeem the chosen ones because he loved them, but since the elect would also be sinners, and God hates sinners, how could he
love those that he should hate? This is an insoluble problem under INFRALAPSARIANISM, in which the decree for the fall of all men occurs before the decree to redeem the chosen ones, so that the decrees follow a historical order. But the problem does not appear under SUPRALAPSARIANISM, in which the election of some men to be saved in Christ occurs before the decree for the fall of all men, so that the various decrees follow a teleological order. That is, God loved the chosen ones and decreed their salvation before he decreed that all men would become sinners. But in order for some men to be saved and some to be damned, all men must become sinners, and therefore he also decreed that all men would become sinners (Romans 11:32). Under this scheme, God's love for the chosen ones is easily explained, even though in time and history they would first appear as sinners before they are made righteous through faith in Jesus Christ.

Supralapsarianism is the biblical and rational order. Infralapsarianism confuses logical conception with historical execution, so that not only is it contrary to fact, but it makes nonsense of some of the divine decrees. For any given decree, it leaves the purpose of the decree unspecified until the next decree. But then there is no reason for the present one, so that it becomes arbitrary. Thus infralapsarianism is blasphemous by implication, since it insults God's intelligence and denies his rationality.

Infralapsarians retort that Supralapsarianism undermines God's justice, but to assert this they smuggle in a private and unbiblical standard of justice, one that rejects God's absolute sovereignty and violates strict logical inference, and then evaluate the eternal decrees by it. Vincent Cheung – Commentary on Colossians

Supralapsarianism
The decree for God to be glorified comes first, and to achieve this, the decree is made that Christ would subdue all things and deliver them to the Father. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that Christ would save a chosen people out of fallen humanity to become his fellow heirs. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that fallen humanity would be divided into the elect and the reprobates. In order to achieve this, the decree is made that humanity would fall into sin. Then, in order to achieve this, the decree is made that God would create humanity. This is the order of purpose and design. The order is reversed in execution, so that it begins with creation and culminates in God's glory.

The major objection against the supralapsarian scheme amounts to an opposition to the idea that God could designate the identities of the reprobates before he decrees their fall into sin. In Supralapsarianism, God first decrees that there would be reprobates, and then he decrees the fall so that these reprobates could materialize. Again, the objection is against unconditional reprobation. To put it another way, the objection is against God's absolute sovereignty.

Author Unknown
This is great and I love the chart.

Another vote for supra.

I wanted to study this in depth but had not really looked into any resources on this
I just quickly found this. Haven't had time to read it.

Here is a page from Monergismdotcom that has a whole bunch of links - 30 on the first page.

Here is a page from Monergismdotcom that has a whole bunch of links - 30 on the first page.
Excellent.

I frequent Monergism.com regularly and did not think to look there.

Thank you.

As the Bible teaches that humans are dead in sin, dead spiritually. They cannot come to God, so God chooses whom He elected to salavation. Once we hear the gospel messgae, we are regenerated and then we are given faith to believe at that moment and the rest follows.

Election – God’s choice of people to save. This choice occurred before the foundation of the world.
Predestination – The work of God to ordain to salvation those who have been elected to it.
Justification – The imputation of righteousness to the individual thus making him righteous according to the law.
Perseverance – God’s work in the individual results in the person continually believing throughout his life.

I wanted to focus on the calling, regeneration, faith, repentance and justifiction. Personally, I believe all 5 of them happen simultaneously.

Grace and peace to you.
As you know E, I'd love to have this conversation,,,,but not in the Calvinism Forum.

Just want to say that it's not the Arminians (whoever that is) and the Catholics that have their own version....
EVERY Protestant denomination does NOT AGREE with your ordo salutis because it's NOT CORRECT.

But that's it from me. Sorry.

Just think about this::::
YOU say that a person has to be born again before they could be born again.

The NT teaches that one must hear, believe and then be born again/regenerated.

NOT be born again/regenerated, believe, hear.

The NT teaches that the unsaved CANNOT UNDERSTAND SPIRITUALLY the word of God
1 Cor 2.14

NOT that they cannot HEAR IT and be converted.

Mark 1:15 states, by Jesus, that we are to REPENT AND BELIEVE.

This is what will make us be born again.

He did NOT say:
Be born again and THEN repent and believe.

I think you should obey Jesus instead of some writer or some reformed teacher.

When any person does not understand the biblical ordo salutis it just shows they do not have any real biblical understanding. They have religion, but no God given truth. In fact they always oppose themselves in this.2tim2:24-26

When any person does not understand the biblical ordo salutis it just shows they do not have any real biblical understanding. They have religion, but no God given truth. In fact they always oppose themselves in this.2tim2:24-26
Yes...good point! They cannot come to truth when their starting point is unstable.

MEN
and
CHARTS

Wonderful !
I'm sure God agrees with these persons and these charts.

And here I thought he inspired the bible!
Silly me.

As you know E, I'd love to have this conversation,,,,but not in the Calvinism Forum.

Just want to say that it's not the Arminians (whoever that is) and the Catholics that have their own version....
EVERY Protestant denomination does NOT AGREE with your ordo salutis because it's NOT CORRECT.

1 Cor 2.14

He did NOT say:

Why not in the Calvinist forum?

1 Cor 2.14

He did NOT say:

If a person is spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1), they want nothing to do with God or salavation. They are dead to anything that is Godly and spiritual, it is foolishness to them (1 Corinthians 2:6-16). This is why God's Spirit has to "draw" (John 6:44) a person to Christ, this is when they "hear" the Gospel and obey, at this point they are regenerated and then wil believe (faith) the Gospel and repent.

Last edited:
1 Cor 2.14

I don't know if I am going to be thrown off by addressing something said by a "staff member" but here goes.

It teaches exactly what you deny.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

On the does not receive, Robertson's Word Pictures says: Does not accept, rejects, refuses to accept.
Same thing with Vincent's Word Studies: Not, does not understand, but does not admit them into his heart.

nor can he know them
The word "can" there means: to be able or possible
The word "know" seems to mean "to understand or grasp."

So, the natural unregenerate does not receive (rejects, refuses to accept) the gospel and cannot (is not able) to even know (comprehend) what it is talking about.

He does not "have to be born again to be born again," he has to be born again to "accept and understand" the gospel and then will accept it.

He did NOT say:
He said repent and believe. A command does not imply the ability to perform it.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Have you become perfect yet?

Grace and peace to you.

Here is the Biblical Order of salvation.

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:8-17

• that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Here is the step by step order that brings us to the choice to believe and therefore obey the Gospel.

For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
  1. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed
  2. And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard
  3. And how shall they hear without a preacher?
  4. And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?”

• In order for a person to believe the gospel, they must hear the gospel.

• In order for a person to hear the gospel someone must preach the Gospel.

• In order for someone to preach the gospel, they must be sent.

JLB

Here is the Biblical Order of salvation.

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:8-17

• that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Here is the step by step order that brings us to the choice to believe and therefore obey the Gospel.

For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
  1. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed
  2. And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard
  3. And how shall they hear without a preacher?
  4. And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?”

• In order for a person to believe the gospel, they must hear the gospel.

• In order for a person to hear the gospel someone must preach the Gospel.

• In order for someone to preach the gospel, they must be sent.

JLB
I am going to assume you do not understand Biblical or Systematic Theology.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back