Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the difference between Spirit upon and spirit within?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In the word we read of baptism of the spirit is it the baptism of spirit upon or within what is your understanding?
Starting with What John the baptist was talking about carried through to the baptism Jesus was to baptize with in Acts 2

In the OT. we read of the Spirit coming upon people.
In the Nt. believers they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit

jn14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

In the word we read of baptism of the spirit is it the baptism of spirit upon or within what is your understanding?
Starting with What John the baptist was talking about carried through to the baptism Jesus was to baptize with in Acts 2
Welcomeaboard.

This should draw opinions.
Luke 1:15 kjv (John the Baptist)
15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
….
(Jesus)
Luke 3:16 kjv
16. John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:32 kjv
32. And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
….
(Us)
John 14:17 kjv
17. LEven the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
….
Acts baptism was the Holy Spirit in us that we might have power to witness.

Bunch of spirits;
Holy Spirit
evil spirit
Quickening Spirit ( born again)

I do not know you yet.
Your answers over time may prove interesting.

Ask me to rephrase if necessary.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Welcomeaboard.

This should draw opinions.
Luke 1:15 kjv (John the Baptist)
15. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
….
(Jesus)
Luke 3:16 kjv
16. John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

John 1:32 kjv
32. And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
….
(Us)
John 14:17 kjv
17. LEven the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
….
Acts baptism was the Holy Spirit in us that we might have power to witness.

Bunch of spirits;
Holy Spirit
evil spirit
Quickening Spirit ( born again)

I do not know you yet.
Your answers over time may prove interesting.

Ask me to rephrase if necessary.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
"Acts baptism was the Holy Spirit in us that we might have power to witness."
What do you mean by this? I need more details before I jump to my own conclusion as to what you are saying.

"Acts baptism was the Holy Spirit in us that we might have power to witness."
What do you mean by this? I need more details before I jump to my own conclusion as to what you are saying.
Luke 24:49 kjv
49. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Acts 2 was not for salvation of the disciples, but for the ability to witness to the Jews from every nation under heaven to be saved.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Acts 1:8 is a little clearer to some.

The really strange thing about Pentecost is the message oh salvation is being given to a group of witnesses.

The Jews in dispersion had witnessed to the people in the gentile nations.

If the people of the gentile nations listened to the dispersed Jews, and went to worship God in Jerusalem (during the 400 years of silence) the gentiles were blessed. Some gentiles converted to become Jews.

The dispersion of those who mourned over the sins of Israel, resulted in the offspring that heard the gospel in Acts 2.

eddif

Luke 24:49 kjv
49. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Acts 2 was not for salvation of the disciples, but for the ability to witness to the Jews from every nation under heaven to be saved.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
I am not for sure we are speaking in the same understanding but if not we are really close. I see two things happening in Acts 2 one is the out pouring of the spirit that God had promised with the gifts of confirming the word on the Apostles and the second was the baptism in the name of Christ where the indwelling spirit is given to all mankind that was being saved which also was the promise of the Father.

Acts 1:8 is a little clearer to some.

The really strange thing about Pentecost is the message oh salvation is being given to a group of witnesses.

The Jews in dispersion had witnessed to the people in the gentile nations.

If the people of the gentile nations listened to the dispersed Jews, and went to worship God in Jerusalem (during the 400 years of silence) the gentiles were blessed. Some gentiles converted to become Jews.

The dispersion of those who mourned over the sins of Israel, resulted in the offspring that heard the gospel in Acts 2.

eddif
This is over my head not sure what you are saying and where your scriptures come from in this reply.

I am not for sure we are speaking in the same understanding but if not we are really close. I see two things happening in Acts 2 one is the out pouring of the spirit that God had promised with the gifts of confirming the word on the Apostles and the second was the baptism in the name of Christ where the indwelling spirit is given to all mankind that was being saved which also was the promise of the Father.
It appears the Holy Spirit on is More OT. Jesus came under the law so descend on and remain would fit.

John the Baptist is unique (as mentioned ealier).

The apostles were members of the disciples speaking in Acts 2. The Joel prophecy said Sons and Daughters.
So:
It seems Daughters were speaking too.
Previously prophets were generally the ones speaking by the spirit.

Pentecost is sons and daughters speaking (new covenant).

What we get into is tradition. The Jews had traditions and regretfully it seems gentile writers have done the same thing.

The law in hearts and minds is Pentecost.
400 years ealier the prophets spoke this promise.

Christ in us is possibly something different. Revelation 3:20

Mississippi redneck
eddif

This is over my head not sure what you are saying and where your scriptures come from in this reply.
Ezekiel 9:3 kjv
3. And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;
4. And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.

Jerusalem was to be attacked and Jews were to be killed. (400 years before Jesus - period of silence followed)
However
There were some people who were sorry for the sins of Israel. At the last moment these people were marked and sent into dispersion in the nations. They had a sanctuary in those nations they were sent into. They told the gentiles of the one true God. If the gentiles believed the Jews testimony their land was blessed.

Today we tell of Jesus. If the Gospel (good news) is believed they can have eternal life.

I apologize for all this. A person has to read Isaiah , Jeremiah, Ezekiel, etc

If you want I can take you to select passages, but tracing the Jews in the Ezekiel dispersion is tough. The thing is this:

Acts 2:5 kjv
5. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

If Jerusalem was corrupt in Jewish leadership, how did the good guys manage to be in Jerusalem (from the nations)?

They came up yearly to worship. I am not Jewish to know the festivals and holy days. Hopefully I am a Jew inwardly though.

It is a 40? Year study - on and off. It is all in my head. I have to look up the passages.
That will really make the information more personal. It is not a canned forced study.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

They are the same.
John the Baptist baptized using water.
The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins is also with water.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit is God's gift to the repentant, and done by God.

Welcome to the site.

They are the same.

John the Baptist baptized using water.
The baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins is also with water.
The baptism of the Holy Spirit is God's gift to the repentant, and done by God.

Welcome to the site.
Why can't God do the spiritual work of transformation from dead in sin to alive in Christ in the water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is that not what Paul said was going on in that baptism in Romans 6

Why can't God do the spiritual work of transformation from dead in sin to alive in Christ in the water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is that not what Paul said was going on in that baptism in Romans 6
God can, and does.
Paul was right on the mark with Rom 6's description of what else besides remission of sins happens at water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.
The destruction of the old man, (Rom 6:6), and being raised with Christ to walk in newness of life. (Rom 6:4)
That is our rebirth.

where did you find this scripture and how is it done ? are you referring to Acts 2:38?
Yes, I am referring to Acts 2:38..."Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Repent, get baptized, and receive the gift from God.

I'm not sure about the "quote box" function, having never used it.

Hey wondering...how about a quick how-to concerning the "quote box" option ?

Quote box:
Leave (quote +) alone and use reply.
Their quote will apoear.
………

If you touch quote box it will change to:
(Quote - )
On (quote -) the quote will not appear.
………..

If you want just a small part of a persons post to appear:
Highlight the sentence in the original persons post, leave (Quote +) press Reply,and that section will appear on your post field.

I am not a keyboard function master.
Someone else can give better instructions.

eddif

We all are told what the following mean:
Repent
Saved
Get Holy Spirit
I would suggest pray to understand all this.

That said….
Jew and gentile are raised differently.
The Jew has an OT background about God.

The gentile may have a Godless background.
….
A marginal Christian background may have a mix of all sorts of confusing information. Some groups may be better than others.
pray for understanding.
…..

IMHO
Lost as an individual
Learn you are lost
Repent (be immersed in repentance)
(suddenly you need a solution)
Hear the Gospel solution
Accept Jesus as Savior / Messiah (be immersed in knowledge of salvation)
Receive the Holy Spirit from Jesus ( study to find out about the Holy Spirit (immersed in knowledge about Holy Spirit)

Have I got it totally right? Probably not.
But
There are steps we go through.
Not a ceremony that saves.
Revelation 3:20

My journey through the steps took 12 plus years. So I sort of know the steps.

Some people get it all in 12 minutes.

After 12 years of agony I am still working out the details. God works in us to will and do of his good pleasure. We are not in charge.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

We all are told what the following mean:
Repent
Saved
Get Holy Spirit
I would suggest pray to understand all this.

That said….
Jew and gentile are raised differently.
The Jew has an OT background about God.

The gentile may have a Godless background.
….
A marginal Christian background may have a mix of all sorts of confusing information. Some groups may be better than others.
pray for understanding.
…..

IMHO
Lost as an individual
Learn you are lost
Repent (be immersed in repentance)
(suddenly you need a solution)
Hear the Gospel solution
Accept Jesus as Savior / Messiah (be immersed in knowledge of salvation)
Receive the Holy Spirit from Jesus ( study to find out about the Holy Spirit (immersed in knowledge about Holy Spirit)

Have I got it totally right? Probably not.
But
There are steps we go through.
Not a ceremony that saves.
Revelation 3:20

My journey through the steps took 12 plus years. So I sort of know the steps.

Some people get it all in 12 minutes.

After 12 years of agony I am still working out the details. God works in us to will and do of his good pleasure. We are not in charge.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Why did I leave all the confusion in the post?

In Genesis creation had to be ordered.
Light came
Land separated from water
Plants
Animals
Time
Garden
Man
Problems solved

Progressive revelation.

Our life is similar. God has a plan.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

In the OT. we read of the Spirit coming upon people.
In the Nt. believers they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit

jn14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
upon . . in ..

Amen no difference

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back