Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Adam Was Not Deceived, But Eve Was...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
He could've interceded for her before God, à la Jesus Christ for mankind. But I think, if he'd merely hurled away the fruit, even as she held it out to him, and just held her in his arms, that would've shown much more love and availability on his part.

There we go, the answer........ Adam knew good and well he messed up. When God asked him about it. This so called great love for Eve was to throw Eve under the bus.............. That is love? Throw the wife under the bus?

This women...... (not my wife Eve) but This Women you gave me....... her fault and your fault God for even giving me a stupid women.

Adam's love for God and His wife sure showed when Adam was pinned in the corner.

Adam should have slapped that fruit out of her hand, Dragged her by the hair to God, and said, "This women you gave me Lord is a faulty model. Forgive her Lord, she just got confused."

Or course it is easy to look back and say that, we were not in Adam's position or would have seen the Earth changing effects that eating the fruit brought.

Mike.

He could've interceded for her before God, à la Jesus Christ for mankind.

Hmm, I should have said à la Abraham for Sodom. Abraham didn't have to die to achieve his end, and that's the only way I would be comfortable suggesting interceding at all.

Hmm, I should have said à la Abraham for Sodom. Abraham didn't have to die to achieve his end, and that's the only way I would be comfortable suggesting interceding at all.

I don't think Adam lived long enough with Eve to realize that women don't have logic circuits built in. My wife just put a Christian song she downloaded with her I-pod onto her computer. She puts the song in a folder then makes a short-cut to the song. Since she has the short cut that plays the song, she figures she don't need the folder with the song in it anymore. So she deletes the folder with song and keeps the shortcut.

Now she is asking me why her shortcut don't work. She has only been using her Laptop for 3 years everyday, I mean????????????

I very kindly showed her what to do, did not make her feel dumb and got it fixed for her just the way she intended. This is what Adam should have learned about women.

Mike.

[MENTION=52402]Pizzaguy[/MENTION],

Yeah I know being the first husband, Adam didn't have a model to follow. He was playing it by ear, and because of this, I truly resist the urge to either vilify or romanticize him overmuch. We have the benefit of hindsight while he didn't. But Edward poses a question as to Adam's motives; conjecture is inevitable.

As for whether the Genesis account is allegorical or not, I don't really have any certainty one way or the other. Maybe one day I shall have a cut-and-dried opinion on it.

very little in genesis, but the book of the revalation

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

the leaves would be eaten but notice the number of the fruits.

It is simply mentioned in Genesis... in Revelation it is described. It's a rather mysterious thing, and certainly symbolic as well as real (hence the fruit) but it's showing up in Revelation 22 does show us that it is alive and well and still part of God's intended plan for mankind.

I don't think Adam lived long enough with Eve to realize that women don't have logic circuits built in.

Hey, watch it, or I'll hand ya an infraction for making inflammatory comments. :lol

Seriously, I truly believe the reason why Adam didn't take her to God was that he desired the very thing that the Serpent was offering... knowledge so that he could be like God. Logically speaking ( [MENTION=7377]Brother Mike[/MENTION] ) any reason based upon his supposed love for Eve, somehow intervening on her behalf, would indicate that he was just as fooled as Eve was...the one thing we know for certain isn't true. Remember, he was not deceived. He knew eating of the tree would bring death to them, he knew it would make them like God, knowing good and evil. He made a clear cut choice in the matter, based upon his clear understanding of the nature of the fruit. No wonder he first hid from God, then threw Eve under the bus.

This is my problem with all of the literal interpretation of the Bible - in particular, the old testament, a book LOADED with symbolic and allegorical verses.

Mark, even if the story is allegorical, I think we are meant by God to read it more or less literally in order to gain what God's intent for us to learn from it. Sort of like Jesus' parable of the prodigal son...allegorical surly and symbolic...but we learn from it when we read it in a literal, straightforward way. I once heard a pastor preach about the prodigal son and he so over symbolized everything in it that the truth of the parable was completely obscured by his sermon.

Seriously, I truly believe the reason why Adam didn't take her to God was that he desired the very thing that the Serpent was offering... knowledge so that he could be like God. Logically speaking ( @Brother Mike ) any reason based upon his supposed love for Eve, somehow intervening on her behalf, would indicate that he was just as fooled as Eve was..

yea, appears so......... Just his comment to God, and the blame game. Would you not have stuck up for Eve? Adam blamed God for sending the women in the first place and blamed Eve. Adam did not say I messed up God, not one time.

umm...

Hey, that's what I was gonna say!

ya, He threw Eve under the bus... for sure.

Mike.

I'm just tossing around the question of what could have possibly been in Adams heart as he knowingly ate the fruit without being deceived.

I have wondered about this myself recently as in reading Genesis 3, nowhere are we told of Adam's awareness of what he was eating. We assume he knew, but we aren't told that he did. Genesis 3:7 shows Eve giving fruit to Adam and he ate what was given to him without question or suspicion as an innocent and trusting child that had not been exposed to badness, evil, or deceit would have. Prior to eating the fruit, did they even understand right and wrong?

Just his comment to God, and the blame game. Would you not have stuck up for Eve? Adam blamed God for sending the women in the first place and blamed Eve. Adam did not say I messed up God, not one time.

I was thinking about this and I think it's possible (maybe) that he could have did it out of love for Eve...but then later when God came looking for them, Adam got scared and then did the blame game out of fear?

I'm just tossing around the question of what could have possibly been in Adams heart as he knowingly ate the fruit without being deceived.

I have wondered about this myself recently as in reading Genesis 3, nowhere are we told of Adam's awareness of what he was eating. We assume he knew, but we aren't told that he did. Genesis 3:7 shows Eve giving fruit to Adam and he ate what was given to him without question or suspicion as an innocent and trusting child that had not been exposed to badness, evil, or deceit would have. Prior to eating the fruit, did they even understand right and wrong?

Adam was right there when all this came down. He was with her, the account tells us so:

When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. Genesis 3:6

Also, we are told in 1 Timothy that Adam was not deceived. He knew what he was doing.

Prior to eating the fruit, did they even understand right and wrong?

This is a good question that I've wondered about before. If they had no knowledge of good and evil...how did they make decisions? Instinct?

It is a good question. I've often thought though... God walked and talked with them. They had a communion with God that we could only dream of. Whereas they might not have understood the concept of right and wrong, they most certainly understood that God was loving, wise and trustworthy. Adam had God's clear commandment not to eat the fruit. Even if he didn't fully understand the "right and wrong" of it...he understood the commandment.

Eve wasn't tricked and the woman is not innocent either. She knew she was going against God. God spoke to Eve before the serpent supposedly tricked her. (Genesis 3:3 but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.) Not to mention she was having an actual conversation with the devil.

Eve wasn't tricked and the woman is not innocent either. She knew she was going against God. God spoke to Eve before the serpent supposedly tricked her. (Genesis 3:3 but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.) Not to mention she was having an actual conversation with the devil.

Sorry, but this goes against Scripture in two ways:

1Timothy 2:14 states And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression."

Also, when the commandment was given, Eve had not been created yet. God gave the commandment to Adam, not Eve. And, Adam seems to have imperfectly taught the commandment to Eve, as somehow the idea that one wasn't even to touch the fruit was added to the commandment. Most likely, this was the cause of Eve's being deceived. When she saw that she could touch the fruit and not die, the rest seems to have fallen into place.

Genesis 2:15-18 "Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it. The Lord God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.â€

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.â€

I was thinking about this and I think it's possible (maybe) that he could have did it out of love for Eve...but then later when God came looking for them, Adam got scared and then did the blame game out of fear?

Everyone plays the blame game out of fear. Right? Love for someone overcomes that fear, right? Adam threw his wife under the bus, then blamed God for even sending her to him... "The women YOU made."

Adam is not batting a very high average here.

Mike.

[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION] also, why continue the insanity in a fallen world by having more babies, wondering if your son or daughter is going to hell or heaven?

@handy also, why continue the insanity in a fallen world by having more babies, wondering if your son or daughter is going to hell or heaven?

Babies come from swimming pools? Dirty toilet seats? There is one good reason I think that a baby might just show up.... ummmm

Mike.

[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION] also, why continue the insanity in a fallen world by having more babies, wondering if your son or daughter is going to hell or heaven?
[MENTION=93656]Dave[/MENTION]: Can't you re-phrase your question to [MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]? :chin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back