Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christianity Is The Only Logical Religion

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I accept Christianity as the only logical religion because I utilized logical and analytical thinking to ascertain that Christianity is the only logical religion and that the doctrines of the Deity Of Christ, the Holy Trinity and the other historical Christian doctrines that Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Mainline Protestant Churches and Fundamentalist Protestant Churches all believe in are totally logical to believe in. 8-)

ThreeInOne said:
Yeah, it would be EXCEPT for the fact, Christianity is NOT a Religion!
They are complete opposites.
Christianity is referred to as a religion in history textbooks. And everybody who has a functioning brain and is capable of logical and analytical thinking recognizes that Christianity is a religion. Only someone who has a non functioning brain and is incapble of logical and analytical thinking would not consider Christianity to be a religion. 8-)

Well my brain works fine... most of the time. ;-) I too, do not consider Christianity, in it's purest sense, a religion. Christianity is centered around God seeking out Man to form relationships with HIM. Religion is Man seeking out God, through a set of rules based on whatever Religion "you" are talking about, instead of abiding by Biblical commands or in some cases, in addition to Biblical commands.

A perfect example would be to, examine religious cults and all the rules one needs to follow to belong to that cult. Take a look at all the manmade rules a Muslim must follow.

RobertMazar said:
Christianity is referred to as a religion in history textbooks. And everybody who has a functioning brain and is capable of logical and analytical thinking recognizes that Christianity is a religion. Only someone who has a non functioning brain and is incapble of logical and analytical thinking would not consider Christianity to be a religion. 8-)

Robert,

You seem to be hung up on this functioning and non-functioning brain stuff. Do you think that an infinite God may be a bit much for our finite brains to grasp some of the mystery of? Wouldn't such a god that our functioning brains can rationalize out completely be no god at all but an idol? Therefore it seems to me that when you reject something solely based on your logic and your believe that your brain is functioning (of which I am not the judge) you may well exclude something that is beyond your brains capacity to understand. Just curious.

thessalonian said:
Robert,

You seem to be hung up on this functioning and non-functioning brain stuff. Do you think that an infinite God may be a bit much for our finite brains to grasp some of the mystery of? Wouldn't such a god that our functioning brains can rationalize out completely be no god at all but an idol? Therefore it seems to me that when you reject something solely based on your logic and your believe that your brain is functioning (of which I am not the judge) you may well exclude something that is beyond your brains capacity to understand. Just curious.
There is nothing mysterious about the triune nature of God because the Holy Trinity is totally logical. :icecream:

RobertMazar said:
Oh well, if the HISTORY books said it, it must be true! :-? :-? :-?
The history books also LIE about evolution and all sorts of things! I wish you took the bible for it's word as much as you do the history books. :-?

And as far as your little comment, I posted this on another thread but it's worth a repeat...

Robert,
I'm going to buy you a t-shirt that says:
"I think everyone has a non-functioning brain and are incapable of logical and analytical thinking!"

I've only been on these boards a few days and must have read that comment from you about a million times already.
It's old and it holds no value anymore.
:silly:

ThreeInOne said:
Oh well, if the HISTORY books said it, it must be true! :-? :-? :-?
The history books also LIE about evolution and all sorts of things! I wish you took the bible for it's word as much as you do the history books. :-?

And as far as your little comment, I posted this on another thread but it's worth a repeat...

Robert,
I'm going to buy you a t-shirt that says:
"I think everyone has a non-functioning brain and are incapable of logical and analytical thinking!"

I've only been on these boards a few days and must have read that comment from you about a million times already.
It's old and it holds no value anymore.
:silly:
:smt005 :o :lol: ;-)

vic C. said:
Well my brain works fine... most of the time. ;-) I too, do not consider Christianity, in it's purest sense, a religion. Christianity is centered around God seeking out Man to form relationships with HIM. Religion is Man seeking out God, through a set of rules based on whatever Religion "you" are talking about, instead of abiding by Biblical commands or in some cases, in addition to Biblical commands.

A perfect example would be to, examine religious cults and all the rules one needs to follow to belong to that cult. Take a look at all the manmade rules a Muslim must follow.
Thank you for explaining that to him, Vic. :wink:

If you can persuade someone by logic you can disuade them by logic also. This is why so many intellectually-ascenting "Christians" have dead faith or loose their faith further down the line. Can a logical case be made for absolutes? Yes. On that basis can there be a logical suggestion of God? Yes. Given that there is a God is there a logical conclusion that He must be the Christian God? No. Thus why intellectually proving God to someone does nothing ultimately helpful. They could then accept your logical arguement and then accept Hinduism and worship Sheva. The defining factor is faith, not logic. One must accept in faith that what God says as true and must not ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit to reveal that truth to you.

There are many logical and material arguements that can be given for God but they ultimately have no substance in themselves without faith. The intellectual aspects should be bonuses, not foundational.

~Josh

There is nothing mysterious about the triune nature of God because the Holy Trinity is totally logical.

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! " (Romans 11:33)

"Can you discover the depths of God?" (Job 11:7)

We can know a little about God but don't think you have him all figured out. One reason I don't think eternity will be boring after 10,000 years is because of the sheer depths of God which will never be exhausted and we will always have new facets of His glory revealed to us, day after day we will behold him more and more and rejoice all the more in it. God is truely unsearchable and incomprehendable. The second we have God all figured out is when we grow lukewarm IMO.

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! " (Romans 11:33)

"Can you discover the depths of God?" (Job 11:7)

We can know a little about God but don't think you have him all figured out. One reason I don't think eternity will be boring after 10,000 years is because of the sheer depths of God which will never be exhausted and we will always have new facets of His glory revealed to us, day after day we will behold him more and more and rejoice all the more in it. God is truely unsearchable and incomprehendable. The second we have God all figured out is when we grow lukewarm IMO.

~Josh
My pastor was preaching on this yesterday and he said that we will never run out of new things to learn about God and that what we know here about Him is very minimal.
That's very deep.

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait to find out more each and every day and the rest of eternity! :angel:

ThreeInOne said:

Thank you!!! I have been trying to tell people that and just end up beating my head against a wall!!!! :biggrin

ThreeInOne said:
I know...I know all too well!!!!

I feel like being a Christian is who I am, not a membership in a certain religion. Once I was filled with the Holy Spirit, I was a changed person, a new creature!! I don't understand how some can claim to be Christian when they don't even know what it's like to be born again.

ThreeInOne said:
RobertMazar said:
I accept Christianity as the only logical religion

Religion is:

1.) A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion, etc.

2.) The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

3.) Something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience.

4.) Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

5.) A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

6.) The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

7.) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

8.) A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

9.) An institution to express belief in a divine power.

10.) A belief in, or the worship of, a god or gods.

11.) A particular system of belief or worship.

Christianity is definitely a religion.

The word RELIGION comes from the Latin word "RELIGARE" which means, to bind or to have connection with someone. In addressing the question, is Christianity a RELIGION or a RELATIONSHIP with God? The answer is, Christianity is fundamentally a relationship with God. This relationship is formally expressed in a religion called Christianity. Expression is necessary in every human relationship to affirm intimacy with someone. It is expressed in diffirent ways like communicating, celebrating birthdays and anniversaries, exchanging tokens and presents to affirm once relationship with the other. Likewise, Christianity is expressed in different ways like prayers and hymns, liturgical celebrations and seasons like advent, christmas and lent. These are expressions to affirm, commune, remember the person of Jesus Christ, the central figure of Christianity. Christianity is following the person of Jesus the Christ.

All of the world's great faiths began based on two tenets; justice (distributive) and compassion. "The Great Transformation", Karen Armstrong and supported by M. Fox, Crossan, Spong etc.

Shalom
Ted :biggrin

Please correct me if I'm wrong; are you promoting or condoning the beliefs and practices of the likes of Crossan and Spong? :o

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back