Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Church Divided?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mikayla

Hey Everyone,
(not sure if this is the right place for this question thread)

Ive got a question that has been on my mind and lead to playing around with it in a way...thought i would ask what your guys views and answers would be. This is also something that atheists or other christians might be curious about.
FRIENDLY QUESTION:
why are there so many denominations (excuse my spelling please) within christianity, yes i do understand and know what each one belives and their view points, so really what im saying is that or food for thought : "all of them ultamately belives in one thing that they all share which is Jesus" we can all agree on that, okay so, without going into each one and being biase lets then say "the reason for the differences or split, is that one group doesnt agree with the other group in terms of how each one translates and therefore 'different' practice within each group" , cool, buuut...if you list on a page the groups and then next to it a short discription on what their belief movemnt (lack of a better word) is...so with everything above in mind, dont you think if each group works together within their belif movement can actually form one unified church but within their belif? (just a curious thought and wanted to hear peoples different answers to what they think). if you still dont understand my question then you can continue reading, if you get it then you can answer without reading the next simplified explanation of my question:

Basically my question in a more visual representation: i know theres many other groups. but lets use these as an example:

Calvinism/reformed group: More theology focused
Angelic group/Methodist: more spiritual path focused
lutherans: more Gospel focused
Pentecostal: more spiritual gift focused

so...think about it, if they worked together in terms of their beliefs without the need to agree they would actually all agree in a way and actually form quite a unified christian church? example: the first group helps with knowing the doctrin, the second group then forms a spiritual path for that person, then using the third group they able to preach the gospels and then using the fourth group they able to use spiritual gifts. would a person not be more fulfiled in that sense? using the above exmample.

again, friendly question
God Bless

Great question brother, and excellent discussion topic with no easy answer.

Denominations or sects (sections) are Satan’s way of keeping the Church that Jesus builds, divided.

Can you imagine what the Church would do on a global scale if we all obeyed the doctrine of Christ?

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10

And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Ephesians 4:11-16

I will end here before my post gets too long.

Here is one man’s answer as to why the UPC and Assembly of God Split.

Some believe it was over a difference such as baptizing in Jesus name, verses baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

JLB

Hey Everyone,

Ive got a question that has been on my mind and lead to playing around with it in a way...thought i would ask what your guys views and answers would be. This is also something that atheists or other christians might be curious about.
FRIENDLY QUESTION:
why are there so many denominations (excuse my spelling please) within christianity, yes i do understand and know what each one belives and their view points, so really what im saying is that or food for thought : "all of them ultamately belives in one thing that they all share which is Jesus" we can all agree on that, okay so, without going into each one and being biase lets then say "the reason for the differences or split, is that one group doesnt agree with the other group in terms of how each one translates and therefore 'different' practice within each group" , cool, buuut...if you list on a page the groups and then next to it a short discription on what their belief movemnt (lack of a better word) is...so with everything above in mind, dont you think if each group works together within their belif movement can actually form one unified church but within their belif? (just a curious thought and wanted to hear peoples different answers to what they think). if you still dont understand my question then you can continue reading, if you get it then you can answer without reading the next simplified explanation of my question:

Basically my question in a more visual representation: i know theres many other groups. but lets use these as an example:

so...think about it, if they worked together in terms of their beliefs without the need to agree they would actually all agree in a way and actually form quite a unified christian church? example: the first group helps with knowing the doctrin, the second group then forms a spiritual path for that person, then using the third group they able to preach the gospels and then using the fourth group they able to use spiritual gifts. would a person not be more fulfiled in that sense? using the above exmample.

again, friendly question
God Bless
Unfortunately, it isn’t possible. If the Reformed taught the doctrine, Pentecostals/charismatics and Word of Faith (not really Christian) would cease to exist. Each denomination needs to teach deep theology (something I found always severely lacked in Pentecostalism), preach the gospel and evangelize, and use spiritual gifts (properly understood) for the building up of the church.

The issue is that people act based on what they believe to be true and many denominations believe some very different things. But, there are some churches and some Christians that do combine different things, such as Reformed charasmatics.

Interesting question; without a simple answer. I would say the Bible is "open to interpretation" on most subjects. Many hold that the Bible is the absolute authority on all things God (Jews say it is the Torah only). But I would contend a "guidebook" provided by God, for us to find salvation; would be clear, direct and to the point. God would never mislead any of us.

For the different denominations and doctrines; that boils down to wealth and power. The Methodist Church just recently "divided and conquered itself from within" over the LGBTQ+ issue. My bet is the Churches that wanted to be "inclusive" were more concerned about "filling the pews" to have more pennies dropped into the collection plate; not that they actually care about "those people".

Hi Mikayla

The simple answer is that man's heart is wicked. Who can know it? Man's nature is fairly strongly tied up with pride and arrogance and it's just something that we have to deal with as we live upon the earth.

the majority of denominations have generally come about over disagreements about what we each believe the Scriptures teach on various matters. Which you seem to obviously understand. That is the answer to your question, but yes, I've often thought what a powerful testimony for God we would show to the lost if we were in one accord as the Scriptures seem to tell us that we should be. If we still had fellowship as they seemed to have in the days of Paul's work spreading the gospel of Jesus.

The letters that Jesus sent to the early churches seems to present them as fellowships of such and such a city. Of course our cities are much more populated today, and somewhat further spread out, so that's probably not a real possibility in today's world.

But man's heart is wicked. Who can know it?

God bless,

Ted

Thank you for your replies, and who ever else that replies,

so my last follow up question is, with all that being said, how would you advice then someone, christian and atheist, to what group they should "join" (without bias)?, or do you think its then best for someone to rather experience all then make a choice to what they feel or connect with more.

thank you once again.

Thank you for your reply, appriciate it.

actually, on that note that both of you are mentioning about God knowing everyones heart: lets unpack that, its in line with my original question too.

So as we all know that God knows everyones heart right, so now with the different groups mentioned in this thread topic, one group believes in predestinantion, meaning your path is already laid out (im purposly excluding the word 'free will', to remain unbias) and another group belives that God knowing every mans heart or your life is not predestined based on the fact "if your not a believer or baptised", so basically its only knowing within christ not outside. if that makes sense. whats your view on that? because thats also what i think ultamately divides the movements.

thank you for engaging
God Bless

so my last follow up question is, with all that being said, how would you advice then someone, christian and atheist, to what group they should "join" (without bias)?, or do you think its then best for someone to rather experience all then make a choice to what they feel or connect with more.

thank you once again.
For an atheist, I would just advise to go to something more traditional or Reformed. For a Christian, I would advise them to study Scripture and find a church that is biblical. It’s not an easy task.

Thank you for your reply, appriciate it.

actually, on that note that both of you are mentioning about God knowing everyones heart: lets unpack that, its in line with my original question too.

So as we all know that God knows everyones heart right, so now with the different groups mentioned in this thread topic, one group believes in predestinantion, meaning your path is already laid out (im purposly excluding the word 'free will', to remain unbias) and another group belives that God knowing every mans heart or your life is not predestined based on the fact "if your not a believer or baptised", so basically its only knowing within christ not outside. if that makes sense. whats your view on that? because thats also what i think ultamately divides the movements.

thank you for engaging
God Bless
God knows every heart, has nothing to do with "belief" or not. My life was preordained, and I have a purpose yet to fulfill; but I also had free will throughout. If I had killed my dad when he hurt me as a boy; I would have failed in my purpose (as an example). But I still had the choice, and opportunity (he was really drunk). Thankfully, I made the better choice; and now I sit here waiting to Serve my Heavenly Father in this mess, when He call's.

Sorry, but that is what you said "who can know it". I assume you meant to add a bit more, but you left it at that. I would also say not "all men's" hearts are wicked; just those who crave wealth and power.
Hi Enlightenedtruth

For the record, I didn't say it, God did. I'm just repeating what He has said. So, if you want to argue the point, you can take it up with Him. And when God said it, He left it at that, also.

God bless,
Ted

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

FRIENDLY QUESTION:

again, friendly question
God Bless

Great question brother, and excellent discussion topic with no easy answer.

Denominations or sects (sections) are Satan’s way of keeping the Church that Jesus builds, divided.

Can you imagine what the Church would do on a global scale if we all obeyed the doctrine of Christ?

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10

And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every windof doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Ephesians 4:11-16

I will end here before my post gets too long.

Here is one man’s answer as to why the UPC and Assembly of God Split.

Some believe it was over a difference such as baptizing in Jesus name, verses baptizing in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

thank you once again.
If a man's intent is to know and serve the One who died for his sins, God will provide what and who he needs to accomplish that.
Suggesting any particular sect necessitates bias.

Welcome to the site !

Hi JLB

A hearty amen to that. What power the fellowship of the believers living among the lost would be if we really were all in one accord.

God bless,
Ted

Thank you to all the replies, its quite intresting to see the views and thank you for the recommendation video clip.

God Bless

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that. God knows the heart of every individual man.
Then your god isn’t the God of the Bible.

I would also say not "all men's" hearts are wicked; just those who crave wealth and power.
No, every heart. That is the central problem of man:

Rom 3:9 What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin,
Rom 3:10 as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
Rom 3:11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.
Rom 3:12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.
Rom 3:13 “Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive.” “The venom of asps is under their lips.”
Rom 3:14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
Rom 3:15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
Rom 3:16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
Rom 3:17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
Rom 3:18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (ESV)

Beware of doing what the Pharisee did and comparing your heart (and others’ hearts) to those that you judge to be wicked (worse than yours).

Luk 18:10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’
Luk 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (ESV)

Back