Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Denominational quiz: Which denomination you are closest to

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cyberjosh

I took an interesting denominational quizwhich lists your results in decending order from closest to furthest similarity. Not all the questions are perfect, but they were good enough, however I will comment on the ones I think should have been improved.

My results were (the second time):

(100%) 1: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(91%) 2: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(81%) 3: Presbyterian/Reformed
(75%) 4: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(75%) 5: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(72%) 6: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(67%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(56%) 8: Eastern Orthodox
(54%) 9: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(48%) 10: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(48%) 11: Seventh-Day Adventist
(37%) 12: Lutheran
(37%) 13: Roman Catholic

That's real interesting. Aren't Pentecostals and Anabaptists like polar opposites? Does this mean I strike a good balance? ;) And to clarify aren't Anabaptists ultra-conservative, more so then regular "Baptists"? If not then what do they believe?

Now I use the second rating because it seems really to fall on an arbitrary point: I only changed one answer on which type of worship serivce there should be. At first I picked traditional, but then it put some ultra conservative (Anabaptist - I think) results at the top so I decided to pick contemporary the second time (I like both - I could care less as long as I'm worshiping God) and I changed the weight of the salvation question to "high" to see what it would do.

My selections for the second time I took it were:

1. Third Selection
2. Third
3. Third
4. Second
5. Second
6. First
7. First
8. Second
9. Second (changed this to contemporary
10. Second
11. First
12. Fourth
13. First
14. First
15. First
16. First

Look what the difference in results was just for changing the worship from contemporary to traditional (my first choice):

(100%) 1: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(94%) 2: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(94%) 3: Presbyterian/Reformed
(91%) 4: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(88%) 5: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(85%) 6: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(79%) 7: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(64%) 8: Seventh-Day Adventist
(61%) 9: Eastern Orthodox
(58%) 10: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(55%) 11: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(41%) 12: Lutheran
(41%) 13: Roman Catholic

I grew up more as a Baptist but the Pentecostal option is probably placed higher up because I don't mind upbeat contemporary music or even dancing in church in joy (hey, David did) so I guess this just means I have traditional values but walk in liberty in how I worship God. Sounds like a fine evaluation to me.

--------------------

Now my "complaints" on some of the options. #2 is too rigid I almost picked the second option which said: "Only those portions of the Law that are re-stated in the New Testament are binding on believers - all of the Old Testament has been set aside for the Christian unless re-instated in the New." but this unnecessarily implies that OT principles that are not explicitly stated in the NT have disappeared, which is untrue so I was forced to pick the third option though it implies that one is still obligated to keep the old law, while the law I had in mind for selecting that option should have been God's moral law, the Law of Christ. But we still are to fulfill the principles of God's OT law through God's grace (Ex:"These fulfill all the law and prophets") There is no setting aside (as the third option - the one I had to pick) of the principles of the law while the ritual and ceremonial ordinances were indeed set aside.

On #7 a small complaint, though not terrible, the first option (the one I picked) seems to imply that Jews are mutually exclusive from the Church, while believing Jews today are indeed part of the Church, while the eschatalogical Jews is largely a national, distinct entity. But the Church today is not exclusively Gentiles.

#9 also, which is the worship one. I would prefer a blend of the traditional and contemporary if possible. Perhaps and either or option.

#13 is unfair in assuming that allowing all who profess Christ to take communion (the first option - the one I had to pick) may include professed heretics or excommunicates (implied by opposites due to option #2). The heretic or excommunicate shouldn't even be allowed _in_ the church (much less near the communion tray), thus the problem of picking #1 goes away (thus why I picked #1).

------------------------

Take the quiz and give the result here if you like. Tell me what you think. I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

~Josh

(100%) 1: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(78%) 2: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(78%) 3: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(73%) 4: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(65%) 5: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(64%) 6: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(54%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(43%) 8: Seventh-Day Adventist
(40%) 9: Presbyterian/Reformed
(39%) 10: Lutheran
(33%) 11: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(20%) 12: Eastern Orthodox
(10%) 13: Roman Catholic

Hmmmm, maybe I should go read Spurgeon again, I must have missed something.

Percent Rank Item
(81%) 2: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(63%) 3: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(62%) 4: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(58%) 5: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(55%) 6: Seventh-Day Adventist
(52%) 7: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(50%) 8: Presbyterian/Reformed
(48%) 9: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(34%) 10: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(30%) 11: Lutheran
(28%) 12: Eastern Orthodox
(11%) 13: Roman Catholic

Interesting. My results were spot on. I had

100% Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
92% Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene

Since I was Orthodox Presbyterian (Calvinistic) for the 1st half of my walk and Nazarene for the 2nd half of my walk, I have to say this was pretty accurate.

handy said:
Since I was Orthodox Presbyterian (Calvinistic) for the 1st half of my walk and Nazarene for the 2nd half of my walk, I have to say this was pretty accurate.
Does that mean that your walk is over?! :wink:

mondar said:
cybershark5886,
You might want to quit taking that survey or your going to end up a Buddist!

Huh?

P.S. Also if you noticed my results were pretty close to yours (in the top six - whatever order they may be).

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
Huh?

P.S. Also if you noticed my results were pretty close to yours (in the top six - whatever order they may be).

~Josh

Heh, sorry, I forget you cannot see the grin on my face when I write stuff like that. It was a joke. When you took the quiz the 2nd time there were a few changes in your list. I was just warning you that if you take it a third time the quiz might insult you and call you a buddist, so be happy with what you got called.

As for my list, I consider myself leaning more toward regular baptists. The list for me had it as #2. I guess I will be happy with that, if I take the quiz again, maybe it would call me a animist, or a polythiest, or something like that.

handy said:
:lol: :lol: Oh, I'm still strolling along.
Great!! You had me worried for a minute. I thought a forum transfiguration had taken place! :-D

Percent Rank Item
(100%) 1: Presbyterian/Reformed
(98%) 2: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(79%) 3: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(77%) 4: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(72%) 5: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(70%) 6: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(68%) 7: Seventh-Day Adventist
(60%) 8: Lutheran
(57%) 9: Eastern Orthodox
(52%) 10: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(51%) 11: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(44%) 12: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(30%) 13: Roman Catholic

There wasn't one question on that list that had an answer that fully represented my belief of what Scripture teaches about each of the subjects...basically I felt the need to tweak every one of them. Thanks, Josh, the Lord bless you.

(95%) 2: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(89%) 3: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(86%) 4: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(84%) 5: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(77%) 6: Seventh-Day Adventist
(70%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(68%) 8: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(41%) 9: Eastern Orthodox
(41%) 10: Presbyterian/Reformed
(40%) 11: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(38%) 12: Lutheran
(22%) 13: Roman Catholic

Re: Denominational quiz: Which denomination you are closest

cybershark5886 said:
I took an interesting denominational quizwhich lists your results in decending order from closest to furthest similarity. Not all the questions are perfect, but they were good enough, however I will comment on the ones I think should have been imporved.

My results were (the second time):

(100%) 1: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(91%) 2: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(81%) 3: Presbyterian/Reformed
(75%) 4: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(75%) 5: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(72%) 6: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(67%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(56%) 8: Eastern Orthodox
(54%) 9: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(48%) 10: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(48%) 11: Seventh-Day Adventist
(37%) 12: Lutheran
(37%) 13: Roman Catholic

That's real interesting. Aren't Pentecostals and Anabaptists like polar opposites? Does this mean I strike a good balance? ;) And to clarify aren't Anabaptists ultra-conservative, more so then regular "Baptists"? If not then what do they believe?

Now I use the second rating because it seems really to fall on an arbitrary point: I only changed one answer on which type of worship serivce there should be. At first I picked traditional, but then it put some ultra conservative (Anabaptist - I think) results at the top so I decided to pick contemporary the second time (I like both - I could care less as long as I'm worshiping God) and I changed the weight of the salvation question to "high" to see what it would do.

My selections for the second time I took it were:

1. Third Selection
2. Third
3. Third
4. Second
5. Second
6. First
7. First
8. Second
9. Second (changed this to contemporary
10. Second
11. First
12. Fourth
13. First
14. First
15. First
16. First

Look what the difference in results was just for changing the worship from contemporary to traditional (my first choice):

(94%) 2: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(94%) 3: Presbyterian/Reformed
(91%) 4: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(88%) 5: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(85%) 6: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(79%) 7: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(64%) 8: Seventh-Day Adventist
(61%) 9: Eastern Orthodox
(58%) 10: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(55%) 11: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(41%) 12: Lutheran
(41%) 13: Roman Catholic

I grew up more as a Baptist but the Pentecostal option is probably placed higher up because I don't mind upbeat contemporary music or even dancing in church in joy (hey, David did) so I guess this just means I have traditional values but walk in liberty in how I worship God. Sounds like a fine evaluation to me.

--------------------

Now my "complaints" on some of the options. #2 is too rigid I almost picked the second option which said: "Only those portions of the Law that are re-stated in the New Testament are binding on believers - all of the Old Testament has been set aside for the Christian unless re-instated in the New." but this unnecessarily implies that OT principles that are not explicitly stated in the NT have disappeared, which is untrue so I was forced to pick the third option though it implies that one is still obligated to keep the old law, while the law I had in mind for selecting that option should have been God's moral law, the Law of Christ. But we still are to fulfill the principles of God's OT law through God's grace (Ex:"These fulfill all the law and prophets") There is no setting aside (as the third option - the one I had to pick) of the principles of the law while the ritual and ceremonial ordinances were indeed set aside.

On #7 a small complaint, though not terrible, the first option (the one I picked) seems to imply that Jews are mutually exclusive from the Church, while believing Jews today are indeed part of the Church, while the eschatalogical Jews is largely a national, distinct entity. But the Church today is not exclusively Gentiles.

#9 also, which is the worship one. I would prefer a blend of the traditional and contemporary if possible. Perhaps and either or option.

#13 is unfair in assuming that allowing all who profess Christ to take communion (the first option - the one I had to pick) may include professed heretics or excommunicates (implied by opposites due to option #2). The heretic or excommunicate shouldn't even be allowed _in_ the church (much less near the communion tray), thus the problem of picking #1 goes away (thus why I picked #1).

------------------------

Take the quiz and give the result here if you like. Tell me what you think. I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

~Josh

Josh - anabaptistism means ""re-baptizers"". THey were seen as radicals - even more radical than the Reformers. Both the Catholic church and the Reformers literally "Hunted"" down Anabapists.

I am a member of the Mennonite Church and consider myself an Anabaptist.

Josh - anabaptistism means ""re-baptizers"". THey were seen as radicals - even more radical than the Reformers. Both the Catholic church and the Reformers literally "Hunted"" down Anabapists.

Interesting. So where do they stand theologically today? Perhaps a comparison with traditional Baptists would be helpful, so I can see some differences.

God Bless,

~Josh

mondar said:
Heh, sorry, I forget you cannot see the grin on my face when I write stuff like that. It was a joke. When you took the quiz the 2nd time there were a few changes in your list. I was just warning you that if you take it a third time the quiz might insult you and call you a buddist, so be happy with what you got called.

As for my list, I consider myself leaning more toward regular baptists. The list for me had it as #2. I guess I will be happy with that, if I take the quiz again, maybe it would call me a animist, or a polythiest, or something like that.

:biggrin I gottcha. I figured you might have been refering to something like that, but I had to be sure. ;)

The next thing you know some one is going to get "Church of the Jedi". :tongue

~Josh

lovely said:
There wasn't one question on that list that had an answer that fully represented my belief of what Scripture teaches about each of the subjects...basically I felt the need to tweak every one of them. Thanks, Josh, the Lord bless you.

Thanks. No prob. It helps sometimes to get some affirmation on where you stand. :)

God Bless,

~Josh

Re: Denominational quiz: Which denomination you are closest

aLoneVoice said:

What did your test results reveal?

jgredline said:
I came up as a catholic who has lost his salvation and I am on my way to purgatory... :o

Did your results really put you as a Catholic? :) I'd be interested to see what it rated you.

~Josh

:o Can I change #2 to Seventh Day Baptist? LOL

Well, I do agree with the first one. LOL

(83%) 2: Seventh-Day Adventist
(75%) 3: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(74%) 4: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(70%) 5: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(67%) 6: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(65%) 7: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(65%) 8: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(57%) 9: Presbyterian/Reformed
(44%) 10: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(37%) 11: Lutheran
(28%) 12: Eastern Orthodox
(10%) 13: Roman Catholic

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back