Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Denominational quiz: Which denomination you are closest to

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Veritas said:
So what is the UCC?

Ugg - I probably should look this up, rather than go from my memory since I am bound to get it incorrect - but here goes.

The UCC - is the United Church of Christ. (That I know for sure)

The UCC is one of the most, if not the most, theologically liberal churches (this I am sure as well).

The UCC is also experiencing a lot of local churches splitting away from the denomination.

Now, unto the history and why you might be getting it as your 100%.

The UCC formed out of multiple mergers of various other denominations.

The Congregational and Christian Church merged and then the Reformed Church merged which created the UCC - I believe that was in the 50s.

aLoneVoice said:
The UCC - is the United Church of Christ. (That I know for sure)

The UCC is one of the most, if not the most, theologically liberal churches (this I am sure as well).

The UCC is also experiencing a lot of local churches splitting away from the denomination.

The UCC formed out of multiple mergers of various other denominations.

The Congregational and Christian Church merged and then the Reformed Church merged which created the UCC - I believe that was in the 50s.

As a child my parents took me to a United Church of Christ. There are many of them in this area. They have a seminary 2 hours away from where I live. The seminary has a very nice library.

Your right, they are very liberal and bear little resemblance to the theology of their roots. Before the merger, they were German Reformed, Congregationalists from New England, etc.

Hi Folks..
The united church of Christ is a cult...Works based, believe water baptism is a requirement for salvation (or they call it baptismal regeneration)

Anyway, Lets get the thread back on topic.... :)

jgredline said:
Hi Folks..
The united church of Christ is a cult...Works based, believe water baptism is a requirement for salvation (or they call it baptismal regeneration)

Isn't this thread about denominations?!?! :tongue :robot: :o :biggrin

jgredline said:
Hi Folks..

Are you sure you are not confusing "The United Church of Christ" with another group called "The Church Of Christ?"

The United Church of Christ is hard core liberal. It is a merger of the German reformed and the new england congregationalists. They are hard core liberals. I know one of their seminaries is nearby in Lancaster Pennsylvania.

Different then them, the Church of Christ, as you say, is a baptismal regenerationist group.

mondar said:
Are you sure you are not confusing "The United Church of Christ" with another group called "The Church Of Christ?"

The United Church of Christ is hard core liberal. It is a merger of the German reformed and the new england congregationalists. They are hard core liberals. I know one of their seminaries is nearby in Lancaster Pennsylvania.

Different then them, the Church of Christ, as you say, is a baptismal regenerationist group.

Mondar
You are right...I did have the two mixed up....
Thanks for the clarification..

Javier said:
Hi Folks..

Anyway, Lets get the thread back on topic....

Javier,
It appears that you have misunderstood two items in this thread.

As a member of The Church of Christ,
For the record, it is true that you and I do hold a different view on baptism, but to make such a claim that The Church of Christ would reduce God's sovereignty in regard to our salvation to the act of water baptism would be an extreme error on your part.

As far as being "Works" based, I believe the bible is very clear on this. We are saved by grace through faith, not of works. Baptism is not an "Act", let alone a "Work" that we perform; rather, it is a response to the gospel of Christ and is no more a "Work", than the Sinner's prayer.

Anyway, Lets get the thread back on topic.... :biggrin

I took it before I saw this post, but I can't remember my results. I know #1 was Eastern Orthodox and #2 is Roman Catholic....
Well, here are my results the second time I took it:
(100%) 1: Roman Catholic
(80%) 2: Lutheran
(72%) 3: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(72%) 4: Eastern Orthodox
(52%) 5: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(47%) 6: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(45%) 7: Presbyterian/Reformed
(42%) 8: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(35%) 9: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(35%) 10: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(30%) 11: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(20%) 12: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(15%) 13: Seventh-Day Adventist

3rd time
(100%) 1: Roman Catholic
(91%) 2: Lutheran
(82%) 3: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(72%) 4: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(67%) 5: Eastern Orthodox
(55%) 6: Presbyterian/Reformed
(52%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(50%) 8: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(45%) 9: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(20%) 11: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(15%) 12: Seventh-Day Adventist
(12%) 13: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)

The results are similar....but then I thought of the priority and that's how the results changed slightly

jgredline said:
Hi Folks..

Is this enough to call it a cult?

(100%) 1: Presbyterian/Reformed
(88%) 2: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(68%) 3: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(64%) 4: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(63%) 5: Eastern Orthodox
(59%) 6: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(55%) 7: Seventh-Day Adventist
(43%) 8: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(38%) 9: Lutheran
(33%) 11: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(33%) 12: Roman Catholic
(23%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite

yep, that is right!

:biggrin :biggrin

....especially as I worship at a Presbyterian/Congregational church and believe that Reformed theology is correct and that (33%) 12: Roman Catholic is wrong and that (23%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite is a cult!

Gary said:
(100%) 1: Presbyterian/Reformed
(88%) 2: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(68%) 3: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(64%) 4: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(63%) 5: Eastern Orthodox
(59%) 6: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(55%) 7: Seventh-Day Adventist
(43%) 8: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(38%) 9: Lutheran
(33%) 11: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(33%) 12: Roman Catholic
(23%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite

yep, that is right!

:biggrin :biggrin

....especially as I worship at a Presbyterian/Congregational church and believe that Reformed theology is correct and that (33%) 12: Roman Catholic is wrong and that (23%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite is a cult!

What do you think about us "Anabaptists" (33%) 11 ? :biggrin

By the way - it is nice to meet you. I notice that you have a long history here - good to see you back!

aLoneVoice said:
What do you think about us "Anabaptists" (33%) 11 ? :biggrin

By the way - it is nice to meet you. I notice that you have a long history here - good to see you back!

Hi aLoneVoice. Thanks for the welcome!

I am not that familiar with Mennonites - I have only read about their lifestyle and interest in godly living. Sounds good but I hope it does not go as far as the monks who lock themselves away from society in the Roman Catholic tradition. That seems to go against the Bible and involvement with our neighbour. How can you possibly be a 'good Samaritan' when you are closeted away in some monastery? Now I know Mennonites are not in monasteries but do they not think of themselves as so chosen (a called out fellowship of believers) that they remove themselves from involvement in the secular world?

I understand that both Mennonites and Quakers have a historic tendency to non-violence. I was like that many years ago when I was an atheist and a idealistic student! I must say that George Bush is making me rethink my current stance. Maybe the Mennonites and Quakers are right.... but I do tend more towards the 'just war' thinking. My recent experiences and where I live suggest that the 'war' against apartheid in South Africa was 'just' after all peaceful efforts had failed. So someone like Nelson Mandela (for me anyway) seems to have got the balance right in all respects. His initial peaceful opposition to apartheid, his decision later to target only military and government targets and finally, his Christ-like ability to forgive.

I think he is a Methodist!

I won't get into the Anabaptist theology of rebaptism.

In reading about Anabaptists, I can see how they would have been persecuted by the Roman Catholic 'church' (who has the Roman Catholic 'church' NOT persecuted??), by the Protestants and by the state.

The little I have read about Menno Simons - sharing resources, living simplistically, care for the poor, sick and widows - I can identify with all of that.

The link between Mennonites and Quakers (I think) would run deeper than only non-violence. If Mennonites settled in Pennsylvania, they would have been in contact with Quaker William Penn.

Lastly, again out of my own ignorance, I am not sure how Mennonites and Amish differ or share beliefs. I probably have seen Amish community living and thought it was Mennonite or Anabaptist. So please excuse me if I have jumbled up some of your beliefs and traditions.

So.... unlike Roman Catholicism which I have studied and rejected, I can immediately identify with several 'Godly living' and 'simplistic living' traditions of Anabaptists.

Please tell me more and correct me where I have misunderstood your beliefs and traditions.

Kind regards
Gary

This would be mine, remembering that any that are the same are alphabetically listed:

Percent Rank Item
(100%) 1: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(100%) 2: Seventh-Day Adventist
(85%) 3: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(85%) 4: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(82%) 5: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(76%) 6: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(67%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(64%) 8: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(41%) 9: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(41%) 10: Lutheran
(35%) 11: Presbyterian/Reformed
(26%) 12: Eastern Orthodox
(17%) 13: Roman Catholic

Rad

Here's mine....
Percent Rank Item
(100%) 1: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(97%) 2: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic)
(93%) 3: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(87%) 4: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(82%) 5: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(78%) 6: Presbyterian/Reformed
(65%) 7: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(65%) 8: Church of Christ/Campbellite
(63%) 9: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(61%) 10: Lutheran
(56%) 11: Seventh-Day Adventist
(49%) 12: Eastern Orthodox
(28%) 13: Roman Catholic

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back