Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Divorce

Should adultery be the only reason for divorce?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
From a Biblical point of view...yes. But I wouldn't stand for severe mental or physical abuse. The results could be a mental breakdown or in the case of physical abuse...death. These are not things that would lead to a healthy marriage. :sad

Doesn't it also mention physical/mental abandonment or neglect?

I know that the bible states that adultry is the only OK reason for divorce, but if my hubby ever hit me or my kids, or abused us in any way, I'd leave him.

I know that the bible says adultry is the only ok reason, but I honestly think that if myself or children were being abused, that God would want us to get out and that he wouldn't hold it over me.

Me:
Lets turn it around. You are now on the receiving end of the breakups.
How would feel? Honestly. Playing with people's emotions in this manner is not a very nice thing.

Droopfeather:
I would not play with anyone's emotions. I would be serious about the process of how things go. If two womens hearts get "broken" so what? They will live. People are so sensitive about little things.

Droopfeather:
If my fiance dated other men, I would dump her right away.
If someone did that to me, they are gone no questions asked, and no exceptions.

Me:
Can you say...double standard?

Droopfeather:
So what? Do you really think I care?

Mike, this is what we are dealing with here. All we can do at this point is pray for him to understand the errors of the words.

VIC: Mike, this is what we are dealing with here. All we can do at this point is pray for him to understand the errors of the words.

THAT is why I've decided to not reply to this discussion anymore. It's the same thing over and over and over. And I'm tired of my advice being asked, but just going in one ear and out the other.

That's the meaning of my post. Droop asking for the sake of what? The opinion sways in the wind depending on the day and there is no continuity from one to the next?.....

I will pray for you Droop....and this is not in a sarcastic approach.

I thought it was me for a moment.....I just keep reading the posts over and over saying man....I'm missing something.

Leaving a marriage and divorce are two different things. If you are in an abusive marriage, there is nothing saying that you have to stay. Leaving, though, does not nullify the marriage. If the abusee leaves, and has a relationship with another person, then the abusee is guilty of adultry.

A true Christian would not be an abuser, so this should not be a problem in a Christian marriage. If one partner is a Christian and the other is not, then the "unequally yoked" stuff would apply. If neither is a Christian, then it really doesn't matter.

Guy Duty wrote a book on divorce where he goes through Paul's letter to the Corinthians verse by verse and interprets it. It mentions adultry as the only "excuse" for divorce, and touches on abusive and neglectful marriages and how scripture applies. It has been a while since I read it, but it did a pretty good job of explaining things.

If marriage is such a waste, then why do you obsess over it so much? It's obviously not too bad of garbage or you wouldn't continue to talk about it.

Droop, you are being silly. You're commenting on something that you've never experienced so you can't possibly understand it. Just like I can't tell you how it feels to skydive (although I can try to imagine it), you can't tell me how it feels to be in love.

anyway, you can't buy lust, that is a mental state of thought and desire. You can buy marriage and sex though.

Given enough money and a deprived money and experience, yes both can be bought.

People hang on to love because they don't want to think even for a second, that love isn't real for people.

When you say "love isn't real for people" then how do people hang on to "love"? If love isn't real, if it isn't a real aspect of life, then how do people hang on to "it"?

Just because I think its garbage doesn't mean I don't want to discuss it.

Why do you think it is garbage?

BL

sillynikki said:
VIC: Mike, this is what we are dealing with here. All we can do at this point is pray for him to understand the errors of the words.

THAT is why I've decided to not reply to this discussion anymore. It's the same thing over and over and over. And I'm tired of my advice being asked, but just going in one ear and out the other.

Yes, I agree, I have stopped replying to such threads because I got tired of feeling like I was having to defend my marriage and tired of being called a liar because I say I am HAPPILY married and that my husband and I truly love each other. But, what can you expect from someone who and really experienced it.

I had a few misconceptions about child raising until I had kids of my own and my eyes were opened to some things. I had passed judgments on parents and their children based on what I really didn't understand about being a parent.

You don't have to experiance everything to understand what its about or its consequences/results. I've never jumped out of an airplane, without a parachute, thousands of feet in the air, but I know it would kill me, and that it is stupid.

Well, there's an extremely high chance that it would kill you and based on that percentage you probably wouldn't want to try it. Still, there is a very tiny chance that you would survive somehow. There's always the possibility.

But still, that's not the point. The point is that you couldn't tell me how it felt to jump out of the plane. And I can't tell you... because neither of us have ever done it before. Whether or not we die is not the question... it's inevitable anyways... but how we felt in that descent is the question. And neither of us will know the answer until we have done it.

Same with "love", same with marriage, I've never been mariied but I know how dangerous it is.

It is dangerous if you don't go in with a parachute. But lots of people jump out with that parachute and by doing so, they are in for the time of their life. But nothing great comes without a risk.

And you want to know why marriage is garbage? Well, I'll make you a deal. You send me a pm or email or whatever telling me all the reasons why marriage is a good thing, and I'll send you all my reasons why marriage is garbage, alright?

I'll make you a deal. I'll post some of the reasons why it is great, and you can eithe PM me or post them or whatever the reasons you think it is garbage. The following reasons are based on a healthy marriage in which both spouses are taking care of their responsibilities within the marriage:

In no particular order:

1. Provides ideal situation for raising children
2. Provides a close confidant
3. Provides for a physically, mentally, and emotionally safe sex life
4. Provides an intimate parnter with whom to share experiences
5. Statistics show both males and females have a higher rating of life happiness if married.
6. Statistics show both males and females lower their chance of heart disease if married.
7. Provides for another person who deeply cares about and helps your well-being.
8. At times when one cannot make decisions for themselves, another is capable of doing so and knowledgable of the other's wishes.
9. Relieves daily tasks for both individuals if tasks are shared.
10. Provides a constant and healthy sense of stability in one's life.
11. Greatly reduces the risk of one feeling a sense of isolation
12. Provides extremely sincere and close friendship
13. Security both physically, mentally, and emotionally
14. Provides a partner to help in one's spiritual walk.

That's enough for now...

And please, let's only deal with healthy marriages. A healthy body is certainly a good thing, but an unhealthy one is something that needs work or else it will get worse. Sky diving with a parachute is a wonderful thing, but a parachuter without a parachute is someone who needs something before the situation gets much worse. Get my drift?

BL

BL[/color]

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back