Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Got AIDS/diabetes? Proof of the medicinal benefits of peyote

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
one believes. The strong believer, whose mature faith allows him to exercise his freedom in Christ by eating the inexpensive meat sold at the pagan meat marketsâ€â€inexpensive because a worshiper had first offered it as a sacrifice to a pagan deity.

Oh one other interesting thing I found out.....

In the tepee ceremony a "V" is made from stones inside the tepee that symbolizes Christ's victory over death and the hope of the resurrection....

Also the peyote sacrament is placed at the head of the ceremony (the center) on top of the Holy Bible....

Prayers are made and signing to the Great Spirit (Holy Spirit) continues all throughout the ceremony......

Women and children are invite in many instances and prayer for healing and spiritual maturuty takes center stage....

925b37d668037a453e9bf92806414144.jpg

This pic is a good one.....

Views&Visions_9.jpg

Gary said:
http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/110/

It harms your bank balance!

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Very amusing Gary.

Are you going to provide references? Perhaps you are talking nonsense?

Soma-Sight said:
More Jesus and the peyote religon.....

altar_large.jpg

The peyote religion is not a religion about Christ. It is a religion that uses the name of Christ but is a cult of sorcery...

Matthew 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Drug use to reach god is devil worship...

1 Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Revelation 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Sorcery

5331. pharmakeia

Search for G5331 in KJVSL

jarmakeia pharmakeia far-mak-i'-ah

from 5332; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):--sorcery, witchcraft.

See Greek 5332

Talk about a smoke screen. This whole thread is a smoke screen to promote heathen practices which condone drug use for non medicinal purposes.

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

In response to BB's erroneous "Pharmakea" argumeny....

Witch Way on Drugs?
Posted by FoM on August 22, 2000 at 07:23:59 PT
By Joel Miller
Source: WorldNetDaily

With its brutal excesses and reliance on snitches and finks as informants, I don't think it's far off-kilter to describe the modern-day drug war as oddly similar to the Salem witch trials. In fact, if words mean anything, the war on drugs is a witch-hunt in the most literal sense of the two terms -- both "drug" and "witch."
As the history books tell it, in the late 1600s the witches of Salem, Mass., became the exalted guests at a New England hemp party -- which is to say, as a point of clarification, that they swung from ropes composed of it, rather than smoked doobies rolled from it.

Likewise, today there are those who argue for the same treatment for drug sellers and users. In Christian circles, this rallying cry to give dope peddlers the chair usually hinges on the same justification as hanging witches.

Taking up this banner is Media House International Director Jay Rogers in a review of the 1994 book, "Politically Incorrect," by Pat Robertson's former right arm, Ralph Reed. "The moral Law of God requires only two punishments for lawbreakers," explains Rogers, "restitution or execution. A repeat violent offender would spend the rest of his life in servitude or would be executed," Rogers elaborates, arriving at this shocking conclusion:

Convicted drug dealers who sold drugs to children would be executed for the crime of sorcery. ...

Rogers hinges this bold call for blood on Scripture's condemnation of witchcraft. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live," enjoins the Lord in the 22nd chapter of Exodus. As the Bible would have it, the life of a witch follows the Bob Dylan lyric: "Everybody must get stoned."

Rogers has it sewed. It's cake. Toke a bong, and they'll stoke your pyre. But what's the connection? How does a death sentence for hocus-pocus apply to pill heads and junkies?

Figuring 'Pharmakeia'

When I argued in my July 20 column, "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus?" that Christians should reconsider their support for the war on drugs on the basis that Scripture gives no justification for legal action against dope smokers and pill poppers, a flurry of e-mail erupted across my screen. While much of it was good, many were either hesitant or outright offended at the notion of legalizing drugs.

"Only drug dealers want legalization," wrote one reader, Jim, adding, "Drugs are destroying this country inside and out." Then Jim offered this gem: "It was prophesized in Revelation, 'For by thy sorceries (pharmakeia) were all nations deceived.'" Backing his charge that legalization is bad news, Jim quoted the 18th Chapter of John's Apocalypse, making -- just as Rogers does -- a clear connection between witchcraft and drug use.

Aboard the same ideological bus is evangelical end-times guru Jack Van Impe. Writing about the latest outbreak of fad drug use in his April 1997 Intelligence Briefing, Van Impe references the ninth and 18th chapters of Revelation, explaining the witchcraft-drugs connection when he notes, "The term 'sorceries' in these texts comes from the Greek term -- pharmakeia -- translated 'pharmacy' or 'drugs.'" Indeed, pharmakeia is the word from which our terms "pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical" are derived.

As I point out in "One toke over the line, sweet Jesus?" there is little in Scripture directly condemning drugs, as such (mainly, God's word attacks drunkenness, insobriety and dissipation). Au contraire, say the proponents of the "pharmakeia factor," pinning drugs to Scripture's clear condemnation of witchcraft and sorcery.

It's All Greek To Me:

A little lexical history is in order: When the Hebrew Scriptures -- the Old Testament to us Christians -- found their way into the hands of the Greek translators some 250 years before Christ was born, they translated the Hebrew word for sorcery with "pharmakeia," having connotations to both witchcraft and drugs. As defined by the Liddell-Scott-Jones Lexicon of Classical Greek, pharmakeia is tied to "the use of any kind of drugs, potions, or spells," as well as "poisoning or witchcraft."

The connection is easy to see. In many pagan societies mind-altering substances were used in religious ceremonies. Along with the Greeks' use of drugs, the ancient Celts used to "do" mistletoe -- and not for kissing; ditto for American Indians and their use of peyote. The point wasn't, however, to kick back and wig out on a batch of herb. Drug use was not recreational; it was ceremonial.

To see one Greek example of the use of pharmakeia, consider the story of Jason and the Argonauts. In one passage, translated by Sir James George Frazer, the hero Jason goes to the sorceress Medea, who has the hots for him. Not wanting him to be harmed in his upcoming battles, she concocts a drug, a "pharmakon," for him if he'll marry her and take her to Greece. "When Jason swore to do so," Frazer's version goes, "she gave him a drug with which she bade him anoint his shield, spear, and body when he was about to yoke the bulls; for she said that, anointed with it, he could for a single day be harmed neither by fire nor by iron."

The drug was magic. We're not talking hashish here. We're not talking LSD. We're talking oogie-boogie. Clearly, the word pharmakeia has much more to do with magic than muddleheadedness, witchcraft than wiffle pipes, sorcery than smack.

Consider the following passage from Leviticus. Talking about ceremonial cleanliness and keeping the faith unadulterated by pagan practices, God instructs in chapter 19,

You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not practice augury or witchcraft. You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard. You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Do not profane your daughter by making her a harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry and the land become full of wickedness. You shall keep my sabbaths and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD. Do not turn to mediums or wizards; do not seek them out, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God.

As one e-mailer tipped me, "Obviously, this is not about 'don't take aspirin.'" All these things are indicative of the religious practices of the Canaanites -- including temple prostitution, self-mutilation and divination -- whose land the Israelites were to occupy. God didn't want them whoring after the false gods of the natives.

This is made all the more obvious when we look at the original Hebrew words from which the Greek translators were working. The Hebrew terms for witchcraft -- words like "kashaph," "qacam" and their derivatives -- refer to divination and spiritism; they have no drug-related connotations. Zip, zilch, nada, nil -- or "loh," as the Hebrew puts it. God's concern in these passages isn't with LSD blotters or hypodermic needles. He's concerned with false religion. It's just a lexical quirk that the Greek word is tainted with definitional baggage -- being connected to the perverse religious practices of the Greeks -- and is thus susceptible to manipulation in the current drug-war debate.

While none of this is to suggest that getting plastered on dope is scriptural (I don't believe it is), neither is it correct to say it's a form of witchcraft, deserving the same sort of punishment.

Defending bad ideas can be just about as entertaining as the circus; the gymnastics are terrific. It seems the mental contortion artists -- adroitly bending, stretching and flipping logic with the greatest of ease -- are especially talented when it comes to debating drugs. But in the end, it's all just playing games with the text to arrive at a predetermined end -- saying dope is naughty. This is using Scripture to support, rather than reform, your prejudices. And, at bottom, it's dishonest.

Rather than allow cultural biases, gut instincts or basic distaste to cloud our judgment, as Christians we need to take the drug debate to the bar of Scripture, which -- while condemning drug abuse and insobriety -- provides no legal argument for pursuing a government-orchestrated war on drugs.

Published: August 22, 2000
Source: WorldNetDaily (US Web)
Copyright: 2000, WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.
Address: PO Box 409, Cave Junction, OR 97523-0409
Fax: (541) 597-1700

Related Articles:

What Would Jesus Do About Dope?
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread6479.shtml

One Toke Over The Line, Sweet Jesus?
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread6466.shtml

Yakkity Yak, Don't Talk Smack
http://cannabisnews.com/news/thread6403.shtml

This is made all the more obvious when we look at the original Hebrew words from which the Greek translators were working. The Hebrew terms for witchcraft -- words like "kashaph," "qacam" and their derivatives -- refer to divination and spiritism; they have no drug-related connotations. Zip, zilch, nada, nil -- or "loh," as the Hebrew puts it. God's concern in these passages isn't with LSD blotters or hypodermic needles. He's concerned with false religion. It's just a lexical quirk that the Greek word is tainted with definitional baggage -- being connected to the perverse religious practices of the Greeks -- and is thus susceptible to manipulation in the current drug-war debate.

The fruits of the Na Religon are good fruits....

Many have been baptised and assimilated into a Christian worldview.....

There is no sorcery or devil worship here....

Only a reverance for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.....

Pluse all the Healing benefits that I have conclusively shown....

This has turned into a justification of drug use for "spiritual purposes" thread.

The real reason for it's rancid presence.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Gary said:
The thread is "Got AIDS/diabetes? Proof of the medicinal benefits of peyote..."

NO verifiable proof has been provided.

The rest is a smoke screen.

This post about the incorrect HIV/Aids information in the "proof" has gone unchallenged:
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... 281#210281

:)

:roll:

Your post is a smoke screen.

"This is what the Bible says about things which are harmful to our body or addictive"

There is an implicit suggestion in that statement. I have asked you to support that suggestion with references.

You demand references from Soma-Sight, but you yourself try and dodge having to provide them.

(a) Provide some references, or (b) make it clear that you are not claiming that the religious use of peyote is harmful.

Stay on topic.... "Got AIDS/diabetes? Proof of the medicinal benefits of peyote..."

IF you have PROOF, bring it.

:biggrin

Gary said:
Stay on topic.... "Got AIDS/diabetes? Proof of the medicinal benefits of peyote..."

IF you have PROOF, bring it.

:biggrin

Whatever the topic, that doesn't mean you don't have to provide support for claims you make in the thread.

Stop trying to avoid the issue with this nonsense.

Is peyote addictive or harmful?

It is not considered an addictive drug like cocaine, heroin or alcohol because it does not produce the same compulsive drug-seeking behavior. However, like addictive drugs, mescaline produces greater tolerance in some users who take the drug repeatedly. These users must take higher doses to achieve the same results as they have had in the past. This could be an extremely dangerous practice because of the unpredictability of the drug effect on an individual.
http://www.pamf.org/teen/risk/drugs/hal ... eyote.html

:crazyeyes:

Although the DEA acknowledges the importance of the hallucinogenic cactus to the religious rites of Native American peyote users, the agency says the drug has a high potential for abuse and has no accepted medicinal purpose in the United States.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... ote19.html

:-?

The active ingredient in peyote, mescaline was first synthesized in 1919. By 1930 over a dozen states had outlawed possession of peyote. Various studies were conducted on peyote/mescaline during the 20th Century. No useful medical application of the drug was found. Peyote/mescaline was banned in the U.S. in 1967 and placed on Schedule I in 1970.
http://www.intheknowzone.com/halluc/what_mescaline.htm

8-)

Mescaline is a mild to moderately habit-forming substance with no physical addiction. It should be noted, though, that virtually any substance can be addictive, to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the user. It is a generally accepted notion among treatment professionals that the addiction, whether physical or psychological, is the problem, not the specific substance. Below are some treatment programs that may be useful for mescaline users as well as others seeking help with an addiction:
http://www.na.org
http://www.hazelden.org
http://www.caron.org
http://www.phoenixhouse.org
http://www.alinalodge.org
http://www.hafci.org
http://www.drugabusehelp.com/drugs/peyote/

... so there is hope and help for you DivineNames.

Like most drugs it (peyote) can make a user psychologically dependent so when they stop using it they feel depressed.
http://www.drugs-info.co.uk/drugpages/p ... actus.html

:roll:

P.S. Back to the topic..... bring your PROOF. So far, you have added nothing of any significance to the debate. Typical.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back